Travel Insurance

masterty

I have always just purchased insurance with cruise agency. School me about Princess insurance as well as others aftermarket carriers.

When can it be purchased?

When should it be purchased?

How late in the booking can it be purchased?

If purchasing aftermarket insurance when do most of you get it?

Time of booking or before final?

Unsure what is allowed vs. what works best vs. what you all do.

Any help is appreciated.

I use travel guard. No thru Costso. I buy one policy to cover medical emergencies and emergency evacuation... one policy for the entire year... can begin my year when it makes since with our travel plans. About $500 for 2 for the year.

YOu can check it out and buy on line. I am not trying to insure travel expenses, just emergency medical etc., while traveling.

Travel Guard has a variety of plans one can buy on line... the one I buy is an annual for business travelers... can be purchased for any type of travel.

Much depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking for insurance for some or all of the following:

o Need to cancel due to illness of self, a traveling companion or a family member who is not traveling with you?

o Need to cancel due to job requirements?

o Need to cancel for any reason at all?

o Insurance that covers evacuation for an illness/injury?

o Coverage if cruise embarkation is missed due to airline or weather problems?

o Coverage if you have an existing medical problem?

o etc.

Only once you know what you want to insure for can you start searching for the right insurance to purchase.

Many policies will factor in your age when determining the cost of the insurance. Princess insurance does not charge based on your age.

I want a policy that protects me for cancellations (all) and medical (all).

When can it be purchased? Anytime??

When can it no longer be purchased? Never??

Buy it as soon as you have booked your cruise, it can be done at any time but won't cover cancellation charges unless you purchase it before booking. A very important point to note is that if you have ANY pre-existing medical conditions ( and I mean any) be sure to disclose them at the time of purchase and make sure these conditions are noted on your policy.

Last year I was taken very ill on board Caribbean Princess with pancreatitis and ran up a medical bill of $4000. I was paid out in about two weeks by my insurance company. I purchased my own insurance not through Princess.

Come on over to the cruise and travel Insurance Forum and read up on it.

1. Insurance is for named perils only, not all things that can go wrong. Most cancellation coverage is limited to medical reasons, but you can get any reason coverage (50% higher premium and it is not 100% coverage). Need to read each policy to see the variations.

2. Most policies can be purchased up until just before departure. Some by hours, some by a couple of days.

3. Most travel policies have a pre-existing medical exclusion. If you have ongoing medical problems, you can purchase a policy that waives this exclusion, but you must insure the full cost and purchase within a specified time frame.

Princess insurance only covers $20K in medical coverage which is very minimal. I usually avoid it due to this.

------

I buy insurance through my agent - they have a special Allianz plan just for them. I don't have to buy it until final payment and it covers pre-existing conditions. Most of the time, you need to buy private insurance within 14 or 21 days to cover pre-existing conditions. This policy also covers if my job decides they will not let me go on vacation.

Princess insurance only covers $20K in medical coverage which is very minimal. I usually avoid it due to this.

------

I buy insurance through my agent - they have a special Allianz plan just for them. I don't have to buy it until final payment and it covers pre-existing conditions. Most of the time, you need to buy private insurance within 14 or 21 days to cover pre-existing conditions. This policy also covers if my job decides they will not let me go on vacation.

This is what we have also purchased through TA at final payment. Good policy but now that DH is over 72, the price for his coverage has gone up quite a bit.

This is what we have also purchased through TA at final payment. Good policy but now that DH is over 72, the price for his coverage has gone up quite a bit.

I used to buy it for my Mom but she was under 70. It was affordable then but it doesn't surprise me if it jumps up quite a bit at 70 or higher. I just couldn't leave the country with 20K coverage - not sure what I would have done.

Life does get complicated - you finally have time to travel once you retire but you pay quite a bit more then when you were younger!

We have been buying our travel insurance through one of two online agencies: InsureMyTrip and SquareMouth.

They work pretty much the same, you enter your trip information and they provide you with insurance plans that will fit your needs at various feature levels and price points. You can adjust features and compare plans, then purchase the policy that works best for you.

Both provided explanation of the various features each plan offers.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

I have always just purchased insurance with cruise agency. School me about Princess insurance as well as others aftermarket carriers.

When can it be purchased?

I purchase it when I make my cruise reservation. I do that because I get the cancel for any reason benefit. I never have cancelled but you never know.

When should it be purchased?

To get the cancel for any reason, you must purchase it within so many days of making the reservation. I buy my insurance from TravelGuard. I buy the gold plan. I purchase it the same day as I book my cruise. May as well so I don't forget to, and I've got to pay for it anyways.

How late in the booking can it be purchased?

Not sure as different companies have different policies. I think the longer you wait the more expensive it can get.

If purchasing aftermarket insurance when do most of you get it?

Same day I book the cruise.

Time of booking or before final?

Time I book the cruise.

Unsure what is allowed vs. what works best vs. what you all do.

Everything I mentioned works best for me. I purchase everything I need at time of booking. I just booked another cruise back-to-back so I had to redo the insurance - add on the second cruise. I'm glad I was able to do this plus at the time of my first cruise booking I couldn't make airline reservations. I have since made them and added them on to the policy.

Any help is appreciated.

I hope that helps...

If you have. Costco membership you can use a company called travel guard. I'm not sure if you can use them without a Costco membership.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can use TravelGuard without a Costco card. Just go to their website and book your insurance on line. I have a travel agent (I go through Discover Card for the 5-10% cash back reward), who does the travel insurance for me. I like TravelGuard.

Edited by elliair

With TravelGuard it must be purchased with 10 days(?) of booking. I don't know of any insurance company that will allow you to purchase it within a few days of departure.

Travel insurance can be purchased up to the day you leave, BUT NOT FOR CANCELLATION FOR ANY REASON. Some other things may not be covered as well the longer you wait. It's best to get covered FOR EVERYTHING the day you book your cruise.

Yes it is much more affordable through a third party, and I agree with comparing different policies and insurance providers on insure my trip dot com. You don't need to buy the insurance before you book to have cancellation coverage, we never buy our policy until after we book everything. If you book within 10 days of paying for your travel many policies cover existing conditions.

Review the policies very carefully as some only cover one claim. For example we had to spend the night at DTW both going and returning and I decided to choose a slightly less expensive policy that covered only one claim. Who would expect to be delayed two separate times???

So just be aware of limitations in less expensive policies, and you will also see policies that are geared toward specific travel like cruises.

Timing:

http://www.thediabetescouncil.com/diabetes-travel-insurance-guide/

I recently saw this article that gives a good overview of travel insurance providers for pre existing conditions and timing of purchase. CSA TRAVEL PROTECTION is the most lax on timing of purchase with pre existing conditions, except I think most cruise lines will allow for purchase until final payment but the cruise lines are often more expensive. http://www.csatravelprotection.com/plan-details

Where to buy:

1. do not buy from cruise line because there is a conflict of interest if you have a claim

2. do not buy from the travel agent or aggregator website because they wont help in the case of a claim

3. buy direct for the travel insurance provider because you will be filing claim with them directly. Here is a comparison of providers: http://travel-insurance-review.toptenreviews.com/

My Bank Mastercard gives an automatic 21 days out of country medical coverage and I bumped it to 35 days on my last trip for $30.00 more with a million dollars with evacuation and coverage of minor pre existing conditions like high blood pressure.

The card covers emergency cancellation trip interruption and such if you use it to book the flight, accommodation and cruise even lost luggage.

I got the complete documentation sent to me via email and could find no difference between my past stand alone policies I have bought in the past.

This is a Canadian card but I would imagine US cards to have the same inclusions?

As an aside the card also supplies 4 free VIP airport lounge passes yearly.

Edited by baldercash

Call Steve (or one of his people) at 1-888-407-3854, the Trip Insurance Store. He is a goldmine of information. He will try to determine what your needs are (as suggested by Caribill) and will provide you with good options.

Yes it is much more affordable through a third party, and I agree with comparing different policies and insurance providers on insure my trip dot com. You don't need to buy the insurance before you book to have cancellation coverage, we never buy our policy until after we book everything. If you book within 10 days of paying for your travel many policies cover existing conditions.

Review the policies very carefully as some only cover one claim. For example we had to spend the night at DTW both going and returning and I decided to choose a slightly less expensive policy that covered only one claim. Who would expect to be delayed two separate times???

So just be aware of limitations in less expensive policies, and you will also see policies that are geared toward specific travel like cruises.

It is not always much more affordable through a third party. It depends on your age. Most policies charge more if you are over a certain age. That is one advantage with Princess, they don't charge a premium for older people. One other advantage is that their policy does include cancel for any reason although you only get a credit for a future cruise. Also the amount of coverage depends on the level of policy you buy.

We are fortunate to have medical insurance that covers us in and out of country for urgent and emergency care, which are the only reasons I would seek care out of the country. They also cover evacuation as long as it's considered an ambulance which any vehicle used for evacuation is. We also have credit cards that cover trip interruption and cancellation for covered reasons for up to $10,000 per person. So if a cruise is under $10,000 per person we don't purchase insurance, we just use those cards to pay for the cruise. Over $10,000 or more than 60 days we buy Princess insurance as other insurance doesn't usually cover for extended trips.

Almost any insurance will cover you for pre-existing conditions as long as the condition doesn't occur or change within a certain look back period which can be anywhere between 60 and 180 days. Princess look back is 60 days so when we buy that we just wait until we have had 60 days without a change in our medical history or a change in medications and buy it then. One nice thing about Princess is that you can buy the insurance anytime before final payment and if you cancel before final payment, it's totally refunded. Some other insurance companies won't issue a refund but may transfer it to a future trip.

Decide what's important to you and do your research. Check with your medical insurance company and with your credit cards to see what they will cover. You might be surprised.

One other thing to consider is that evacuation by U.S. coast guard is free. So if you only travel in areas served by the coast guard you probably don't need as much emergency evacuation insurance as you think. Travel insurance usually only cover evacuation to the nearest medical facility so if you need intensive care transfer from a foreign county back to the US you will need a membership in a company like MedJet Assist.

Edited by cactusrose

Call Steve (or one of his people) at 1-888-407-3854, the Trip Insurance Store. He is a goldmine of information. He will try to determine what your needs are (as suggested by Caribill) and will provide you with good options.

Another recommendation for Steve and his staff;)

The point is to compare policies, some third party policies are more expensive but many of those provide much better coverages. And yes, you should also understand what your existing medical insurance covers. Many policies - and credit cards - are not valid in some countries so cruising adds that wrinkle. We have travel insurance on our card and we are covered with medical where we are going. But we've had trip delays more than other problems when on land vacations over the last few years, and I wanted additional coverage being on a cruise since that policy is weaker in that area. So I chose a policy costing much less than what I've seen through the TA and cruise line because I dod't heed everything those policies have good coverage for. I like to have at least $100k for medical and 1000k for evac.

The point is to compare policies, some third party policies are more expensive but many of those provide much better coverages. And yes, you should also understand what your existing medical insurance covers. Many policies - and credit cards - are not valid in some countries so cruising adds that wrinkle. We have travel insurance on our card and we are covered with medical where we are going. But we've had trip delays more than other problems when on land vacations over the last few years, and I wanted additional coverage being on a cruise since that policy is weaker in that area. So I chose a policy costing much less than what I've seen through the TA and cruise line because I dod't heed everything those policies have good coverage for. I like to have at least $100k for medical and 1000k for evac.

Wow. A $1,000,000 evacuation cost would be quite unusual.