Dentist on board

cheerldrmom

Anybody know if there is a dentist onboard or would you have to wait?

No...not as part of the staff. The doctor onboard may be able to do something temporary (depending) but the medical staff will contact a dentist in the next port..I not long ago read a post on here about how a dental emergency actually was handled and was very impressed.

Edited by Ashland

Maybe on a world cruise, but for sure not on a seven day Caribbean.

What type of dental emergency are you anticipating? If you have a toothache there are plenty of strong pain meds available from the doctor. Crack a tooth? Hardly something that gets fixed the same or next day by your regular dentist when at home; you'll be eating from only one side of your mouth a couple weeks either way.

Crack a tooth? Hardly something that gets fixed the same or next day by your regular dentist when at home; you'll be eating from only one side of your mouth a couple weeks either way.

Actually, a cracked tooth needing a crown would be done in the same day by my dentist. They take an impression and xrays, build a model in software and refine that, then they make the crown right there in the office. I was in and out with a new crown in just over an hour last year.

No dentist... if you have an emergency, you'll have to find a dentist at your next ports. Bring cash.

No "you" won't....RCI contacts their port agent and everything is handled very efficiently...the poster even said a driver showed up at the port to take them to the recommended dentist...they were extremely impressed by how it was handled...Search these boards to find this post...very informative !

Since this is the generic cruise board we will give the generic answer which is NO, there is generally not a dentist onboard cruise ships. Even the crew of most ships, must go ashore at various ports if they need dental care (this just happened to a crew friend on HAL's Prinsendam). If you have a real dental emergency, the Guest Relations Desk can often arrange for you to see a dentist at the next port. However, there is no guarantee. When DW lost a crown on a Celebrity cruise in Europe, even Guest Relations was no help. I used our own cell phone (and the internet) to contact a dental practice in our next port (which was in Scotland) and they agreed to see DW.

Hank

I've been on world cruises, and no dentist on board even for those cruises.

Agree, friend on world cruise now who needed dental work and she had to find a dentist on their next port.

Edited by iheartbda

Always wise to ask the question on the Cruise Line Board for the cruise you are sailing.

As others said I am not aware of any dentists on board ships we have sailed. In the past, Holland America had dentists on at least certain sailings but that is not the case anymore.

My experience is that if something happens you can contact the reception desk (concierge on some cruise lines) and they can assist in directing you to a dentist when you are in port. Often they get assistance from the port agent.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010