Are multi-port usb chargers banned

9 minutes ago, HERDFAN said:

I have one of those and have taken it on a few cruise. Never had it confiscated or even questioned. I pack it in my carryon backpack.

Me too, we’re going on odyssey in a month and I’ll bring it but I’ll also see if I can find one without the outlets, just plugs for phone and iPad (USB-C)

30 minutes ago, HERDFAN said:

I have one of those and have taken it on a few cruise. Never had it confiscated or even questioned. I pack it in my carryon backpack.

Yes. Lots of people have brought many different devices in the past just fine.

This is a brand new change in the last 2-3 days. So any experience prior to this has no relevance on what people will experience now. We will have to wait and get feed back from people boarding from now on.

All we know is what the new wording says now. Nothing with multiple plugs will be allowed, whether it has a cord or not. We'll have to see exactly how it's being interpreted by security and how strictly it's enforced.

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

But this would be correct?

As I interpret the new wording, yes.

2 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

If it is can you post the link from Amazon?  I’m having a hard time finding one like this

Just so happens, I have a few of these, here's the link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YDF8GCT

• Thanks 1

I’m sure it’s not easy to do but if Royal would just add proper usb and outlets behind the beds or even the phones with usb in every cabin across the fleet we wouldn’t have to jump through hoops to plug in our cpap and sound machine by the bed. They were able to do it for Serenade. We mostly cruise older ships so we have to run the extension cord across ceiling with magnets, then use a plug on it for a usb for the sound machine. Otherwise we get by fine with outlets provided on the desk. I’m sure if you had a family it’d be a lot harder.

I want to be safe but Royal makes it hard. People have a lot of tech they want to plug in and they need to keep up with the times. 

I’ll still try to take ours with us. TBD if it gets taken. 

35 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I’m sure it’s not easy to do but if Royal would just add proper usb and outlets behind the beds or even the phones with usb in every cabin across the fleet we wouldn’t have to jump through hoops to plug in our cpap and sound machine by the bed. They were able to do it for Serenade. We mostly cruise older ships so we have to run the extension cord across ceiling with magnets, then use a plug on it for a usb for the sound machine. Otherwise we get by fine with outlets provided on the desk. I’m sure if you had a family it’d be a lot harder.

I want to be safe but Royal makes it hard. People have a lot of tech they want to plug in and they need to keep up with the times. 

I’ll still try to take ours with us. TBD if it gets taken. 

I agree with you 100%. We were on Serenade this summer and it was so much nicer to have hubby's CPAP plugged in behind the bed  and not have that cord draped on the ceiling with magnets!  If they could do it on serenade they’re already 25% of the way done with the radiance class ships. 

Im curious what plug on the cord for a USB you’re talking about…..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It's be quite impractical to try to add outlets to every cabin due to their modular nature.

Plus, it's easy to have enough outlets. Just buy a european adapter.

It's not impractical to replace existing outlet assemblies with ones that include a couple of USB-A and possibly USB-C outlets. USB ports do not require a lot of space.

Since a powered up phone with WiFi is almost essential onboard, it seems to me that cruise lines bear some responsibility. 

Until a retrofit, why can't the cruise line offer European adapters? 😀

37 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I agree with you 100%. We were on Serenade this summer and it was so much nicer to have hubby's CPAP plugged in behind the bed  and not have that cord draped on the ceiling with magnets!  If they could do it on serenade they’re already 25% of the way done with the radiance class ships. 

Im curious what plug on the cord for a USB you’re talking about…..

We use one like the addtam in post #34. Basically the same. We plug the extension cord into this and the cpap into the plug and still can use the usb by the bed. We don’t overload it. Just cpap and one usb used. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasukkie said:

I'm going to get one of this type one plug, many ports type thing. Looks like it doesn't have surge protection so that's good.

BREEKET USB C Fast Charger, 100W GaN 6 Port Type USB C Charging Station Hub Block Cube, USB C Wall Charger Power Strip Adapter Plug for iPad iPhone 15 14 13 12 11 Pro Max Pixel Note Galaxy, 5ft Cord

Is the “cord” permissible?  Or does it have to plug directly into the existing outlet?

This by definition would be allowed 

it is a single variable AC PLUG

with multiple USB outlets.

ONLY 1 AC device can be plugged into this adapter at any given time 

so this would not be classified as a Multi plug device 

We will be sailing Saturday and have this along with 2 other devices which we will test.

In the past we like to plug into the Euro outlet to utilize 

IMG_2561.thumb.jpeg.c5259bc8bb2b9ba8bad2b20fccc6c297.jpeg

I don’t come on here much, but will try and follow up and let y’all’s know how we get on 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sharon Wilson said:

This by definition would be allowed 

it is a single variable AC PLUG

with multiple USB outlets.

ONLY 1 AC device can be plugged into this adapter at any given time 

so this would not be classified as a Multi plug device 

We will be sailing Saturday and have this along with 2 other devices which we will test.

In the past we like to plug into the Euro outlet to utilize 

IMG_2561.thumb.jpeg.c5259bc8bb2b9ba8bad2b20fccc6c297.jpeg

I don’t come on here much, but will try and follow up and let y’all’s know how we get on 

I also have one of these and plan to bring it.  Please try to stop back and let us know..enjoy your cruise!!

1 hour ago, keishashadow said:

Is the “cord” permissible?  Or does it have to plug directly into the existing outlet?

The cord plugs into an existing outlet. There are no outlets on this device. I can't see why this would not be okay? It's the same as plugging your laptop into a wall outlet and using a hub bridge for peripherals on type C or USB. I'd prefer to have my phone next to the bed but we weren't doing that anyway on cruises. We had one of those "cruise safe" multiplug and multiport boxes that looks to be banned now. Kept it on the desk area. These don't cost much.

4 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I can't see why this would not be okay?

I would think it should.  Of course, I thot the others were just fine too.

only thing i can think of is them really starting to nit-pick about the safety of corded devices, along line of no extension cords.  

FYI I’m not poo-pooing fire safety on a ship, the mr was a firefighter on carrier in the navy back in the day.  Just want to, yet again, buy the appropriate & approved replacements we need for upcoming cruise.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

But this would be correct?IMG_0080.thumb.jpeg.24d3497bd8abe6e71a2bbec11b23958f.jpeg

To complicate things…..now that I have bought this, there will still be the issue that Apple devices like our IPads and watches don’t use a cord with a usb…the charging cord is USB-C on both ends.  
We were looking at cords that have a USB to USB-C bot not sure if it’s garbage.

Does anyone have one to recommend?

10 minutes ago, Raxter54 said:

Big question - what does Royal Caribbean define as a "plug"? Are they just talking about AC plugs? Or do the usb outlets count as plugs? Just asking...

USB cables connect to ports not plugs. Smartphones, iPads run on DC power. The chargers convert AC from the mains to the DC power that devices use. The prohibition against multiple AC outlets has nothing to do with the number of USB ports. USB ports don’t use AC. 

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

But this would be correct?IMG_0080.thumb.jpeg.24d3497bd8abe6e71a2bbec11b23958f.jpeg

I have one of these, and am sailing this weekend with a Saturday embarkation.  I am planning on packing this exact plug in my carry on.  I will post here when I’m onboard to share my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4