So, How Much Is Too Much? (Long post)

R Prim

So, we decided to do a "cheap" get away, sailing out of New Orleans in August. My question for you, what is the most "rig-a-mo" you have ever done to do "cheap"? Right now, this is our plan...drive to Cincinnati (about an hour and a half away) and fly Allegient Air ($44.00 per ticket) to N.O. (there are 10 of us); rent two cars; drive to hotel in Gretna then to the ferry station and take the ferry over and walk into the French Quarters for the day; ferry back to cars; cars back to hotel. In the morning drive to cruise port drop off 8 people and drivers take the two rental cars to a drop off point near the ship (1/2 to 1 mile); drop off cars and drivers walk back to port. Following the cruise we will rent two cars to take us back to the airport; drivers will again walk to car rental pick up and drive back to port to pick up other 8 people; drop off cars and fly back to Dayton with points on Southwest. If we can't get drivers to take us to Cincinnati for the Allegient flights we will have to go back the next day to pick up the cars. We are experienced travelers and have done a lot of things to save a dime, but I am smiling as I type this because this is a lot even for us! So, can you beat this or do you just think we are crazy?

So, we decided to do a "cheap" get away, sailing out of New Orleans in August. My question for you, what is the most "rig-a-mo" you have ever done to do "cheap"? Right now, this is our plan...drive to Cincinnati (about an hour and a half away) and fly Allegient Air ($44.00 per ticket) to N.O. (there are 10 of us); rent two cars; drive to hotel in Gretna then to the ferry station and take the ferry over and walk into the French Quarters for the day; ferry back to cars; cars back to hotel. In the morning drive to cruise port drop off 8 people and drivers take the two rental cars to a drop off point near the ship (1/2 to 1 mile); drop off cars and drivers walk back to port. Following the cruise we will rent two cars to take us back to the airport; drivers will again walk to car rental pick up and drive back to port to pick up other 8 people; drop off cars and fly back to Dayton with points on Southwest. If we can't get drivers to take us to Cincinnati for the Allegient flights we will have to go back the next day to pick up the cars. We are experienced travelers and have done a lot of things to save a dime, but I am smiling as I type this because this is a lot even for us! So, can you beat this or do you just think we are crazy?

Uh, crazy!

Really, I would consider a taxi for the poor drivers... walking could be very HOT. Not sure if you know what that area of the south can be like in August but walking a 1/2 mile to mile could cause at the very least heat stroke.... or getting hit by a car.

As for the rest... how about save a bit more?

Agree with Bob - 1/2 - 1 mile in Southern heat and humidity in August is madness. It's only June and we're boiling and broiling in Nashville.

Roz

I am VERY frugal. I've done crazy stuff like that to save a few bucks, but over the years I've learned to set the bar just a bit higher. It took me years, but I realized that many times I turned a perfectly good vacation into a miserable experience for the sake of saving $20.

Yes, I was the guy that would park 2 miles away to save $5/day. The guy that would stay at the Best Western to save $20. The guy that would make lunch out of cereal boxes, bagels, and fruit from the free breakfast at the hotel. The guy that would walk to the public bus stop to pay $1 for a ride, to then walk a mile when I could've taken a cab ride door to door for $10, etc etc.

But one day I told myself, what if I spend just a tiny bit more? And that's when I realized that bottom of the barrel cheap was affecting tremendously my enjoyment while on vacation. So now I allow myself to spend an extra $20 here and there. It makes a world of a difference.

The most recent example that I have is from my last cruise. We spent the night in Ft. Lauderdale prior to our cruise and I found a Hampton Inn by the airport for $128/night. After a bit more research, I realized that the W Resort right on Ft. Lauderdale Beach was $148/night. True, it was $20 more, and we wouldn't have free parking, free breakfast or free wifi, but the thought of starting our vacation overlooking the ocean at a modern and beautiful resort instead of at a Hampton Inn overlooking a parking lot was hard to pass up. So we booked the W!

Long story short, we spent about $70 more, but after spending $2,000 for this cruise, it was a very small price to pay to enhance our vacation tremendously! [emoji41][emoji267]

Edited by Tapi

then to the ferry station and take the ferry over and walk into the French Quarters for the day; ferry back to cars;

So, can you beat this or do you just think we are crazy?

So you big spenders from the North are going to spend $2 per person to take a ferry across the river? :eek:

You got something against swimming ??? :D:D:D:D:D

While yes it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through, at least for the rental cars, aren't there shuttles to the port, or at least from the rental dropoff at the airport in NOLA. If not, Nawlins taxis are used to short distance fares.

If you can't get two drivers to take you to Cincy, you're out one more day in longer parking there.

I'm assuming you have a great deal on a hotel in Gretna, but it's a bit of a truck from NOLA. What about a place in Metairie?

And locals, or others, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there decent public parking in or around the Quarter that would cost less than the ferry?

R Prim....Just let me say that good for you that you are going on vacation with that many people, I hope you have a blast....I am getting stressed just reading about your adventures with rental cars....I get you are trying to save as much as you can. Is it that much of a difference, for 10 people just to hop in cabs as opposed to all the gyrations with a rental cars? Even if it is a few $$$$ more to get in a cab, just the wait time to get in line to get the rental cars just seems a bit crazed....Again, have a good time

Edited by First and Ten

From someone who lives in the New Orleans area, I'd say this is not a great plan. If you get the rental cars at the airport, there are huge fees and taxes. By the time you rent cars and pay fees and taxes, you would probably be better off with Uber or taxis. Gretna is not an ideal place to stay, especially if the sites you want to see are in New Orleans. You could probably find something in August (non- tourist time) in the French Quarter or Central Business District (Downtown and close to FQ) for a decent price. Save the money on rental cars and stay near the port (Downtown or FQ). Then you are an inexpensive cab fare away from the port. Some hotels have shuttles to the port I believe.

And what everyone is saying about the heat is NO JOKE. You could literally pass out from heat exhaustion walking 1/2 mile or mile in NOLA in August. Plus you'll probably pay an extra fee for not returning cars to airport.

We are driving from Dayton, OH tomorrow to save airfare and rental cars.

Have you added in the "luggage and pick you seat fees" for that $44.00 ticket? I priced all around for my last flight and took Southwest because of the "2 free bags". Ha, you don't get to choose your seat and if you want a chance at sitting with you spouse then you have to pay an extra fee to get moved up in the line. No guarantee that you will still get to sit with them. I prefer Delta and I am already looking for next April. Right now I can fly first class for just a bit more then the Delta comfort when I add in the 2 checked bags. First class allows 2 free bags with Delta. I would like to go cheaper but by the time I add the fees it is still close to the same price of a ticket on Delta.

...this is our plan...drive to Cincinnati (about an hour and a half away) and fly Allegient Air ($44.00 per ticket) to N.O.

A word of caution about Allegiant: They are an ultra low cost carrier, which means that you will pay extra for everything, literally. And even if you're not checking bags, you'll still pay extra for carry-ons.

But that's not the worst of your worries. They are a stand alone airline, with no interline agreements, and with very limited point to point service. What that means is that if for some reason your flight is canceled, you have basically ZERO options to get to your destination. Chances are that their next flight to your destination won't be for a few more days (if seats are even available). They will not protect you on another airline, and in most cases they will just refund your money if they cancel. So get ready for the very real possibility of finding yourself with a $44 refund and nowhere to go, and with no backup plans.

Allegiant is going through a tough time with reliability right now (both because of the maintenance of their equipment and because of staffing) so if you choose to fly on them for your cruise, PLEASE allow yourself plenty of time to get to the port and have backup plans already in your head.

I was in Memphis just a few weeks ago when Allegiant's lonely flight to Orlando canceled. People just started freaking out when the agent just announced the cancelation and told everyone to proceed to baggage claim to get their luggage with nothing more to add. A few passengers ran over to the gate where I was (across the hallway) and started begging the Delta gate agent to accommodate them. Unfortunately there was noting that she could do for them. Once again, an Allegiant ticket only has value on Allegiant.

Edited by Tapi

Yes very crazy.

I get the meaning but have not heard "rig-a-mo" ever before??? Where did this come from???

You have to be VERY careful with Allegiant Air. The price listed is not the whole story and with cruise luggage you may find other airlines to be more cost effective.

Do your math carefully.

At my stage of life my comfort is worth money so that often trumps the cheapest way!

I would sooner just hop in my own car and drive ~12 hours to the port and save all that scrambling around. We are sailing out of NOLA in September and driving to the port from TX, it's around 8+ hours for us.

I have done a lot of walking and public transportation on many trips over the years, and still do. I walk that distance everyday, including the middle of a Southern Summer. Personally, I would only want to stay in the French Quarter area, because the place comes alive at night, and don't want to stagger back very far. But this is certainly a creative way to save money.

I have had flights cancelled on Allegiant out of Cincinnati with no reason given and no help to get me where I wanted to go. I would NEVER use them to get to a cruise even the day before. I've done some crazy things in the name of saving a couple bucks so more power to you. I have never attempted to do something quite this intricate with more than one other person (DBF or BFF) I hope everyone's patience holds out in the NO heat and humidity. I'd seriously look at just getting a cab to a hotel downtown or in the French quarter and finding a deal on a hotel there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you big spenders from the North are going to spend $2 per person to take a ferry across the river? :eek:

You got something against swimming ??? :D:D:D:D:D

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I get the meaning but have not heard "rig-a-mo" ever before??? Where did this come from???

Dictionary definition and spelling: "Rigamarole is a messy, complicated process that takes longer than it should".

Edited by RWolver672

Nix Greta and the rental car rig-amaroll... Sign up for Uber or call for transport... Stay in quarter or business district (Hotwire something should be great prices in August) so taxi is cheap to port... Doing this amount of coordination with 2 people is one thing, but schlepping with 10 people, 2 cars etc... Recipe for disaster and some ticked off people IMO)! I would also consider saving the airfare and drive the 12 hours down, stay in the quarter, drive to port boom bam done!

Edited by poz222

I have done a lot of walking and public transportation on many trips over the years, and still do. I walk that distance everyday, including the middle of a Southern Summer. Personally, I would only want to stay in the French Quarter area, because the place comes alive at night, and don't want to stagger back very far. But this is certainly a creative way to save money.

Yes, but doing it every day and doing it once after dropping off 8 people waiting to get on a ship, hurrying back to the terminal... AND not being used to the heat/humidity might not turn out very well. Plus the fact that the drop-off point is a 1/2 - 1 mile away does not include how far from the front "gate" is the actual terminal, how you get into the gate walking (I wonder what the gate guard would do with 2 walk-ups?) and then how much further is it in the heat/humidity?

Thank you so much for all your input. Airfare is already booked so can't cancel that. As for Allegient, they have 2 flights out of Cincinnati and we are taking the first one out. We have checked all fees and got our tickets at the airport for the best fare. I am rethinking renting cars and staying in Gretna though (we need 3 hotel rooms). We will need 3 cabs which I believe would cost about $125 plus tips from the airport to the French Quarters (should we decide to stay there). About how much would it be for cabs from the French Quarters to the cruise port and then from the cruise port to the airport following the cruise? I am also wondering about Uber. We have never used them before. As for stress, no worry. We are all family. We are only able to cruise so often because we are willing to make every trip "an adventure". I so appreciate all of your suggestions! Cruisecritic is one of our best resources and because of the insite of fellow cruisers we have saved a lot of money over the years.

Well I know "rigamaroll" (although rarely see it used) It was the shortened version that I had never seen!

You can download the Uber app for free and then see how much a car would cost. You cannot use it from all airports so I'd ask specifically if you can use it in N'Orleans.

Uh, crazy!

Really, I would consider a taxi for the poor drivers... walking could be very HOT. Not sure if you know what that area of the south can be like in August but walking a 1/2 mile to mile could cause at the very least heat stroke.... or getting hit by a car.

As for the rest... how about save a bit more?

Agree.....