What I think separates Royal Caribbean apart.

Keeping the option for set dining times. NCL lost our business 15 years ago with 'freestyle'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

same here, had been on a dozen NCL cruises before, tried it once at will not return

And I am going to be the odd one out here........:D

We just got off Oasis on Saturday. First RCCL cruise. Normally Carnival cruisers.

While we LOVED our cruise and thought the ship was beautiful, it was just TOO BIG.

We felt such a huge disconnect with the water, we just didn't feel like we were on a cruise ship. And we had an oceanview balcony. That was the ONLY time we got to the see the water........Also, we felt ZERO movement. I love lying in bed at night and feeling the ship rock. NOTHING on this cruise. So weird.

We're going back to Carnival.

But we are happy we got to try Oasis out. Again, beautiful ship. Just not for us.:o

Perhaps you should try another class of ship, before giving up on Royal.....Freedom or Voyager class have lots of the things that Oasis has (in terms of activities -- flowrider, rockwall, ice shows) without the excess size. Much more opportunity to see the ocean and feel more like you are on a ship, rather than a mobile city.

Oasis class is not our favorite -- although we are going on Harmony (to enjoy the waterslides) but we have specifically chosen a balcony cabin that is at the end of the boardwalk that will overlook the AquaTheater and give me a view of the ocean.

So perhaps for you, you need to try a different class of ship on Royal.....or just go back to Carnival.

I just wanted to chime in here again because I started this thread and saw something. I saw the design of a few new HUGE MSC cruise ships coming soon and it basically copied the "royal promenade" idea which is genius. I thought all the cruise lines would move away from the Atrium idea and go to their own version of the royal promenade. It just makes too much sense to build your ships this way. Its such an awesome gathering place and starting point to navigate around the ship.

Oasis class ships totally isolate you from the water. I wouldn't consider sailing on them without a substantial balcony (JS or above).

There isn'r really a large cruise ship out there (Royal included) that doesn't scream "floating tenement". We see them as attractive because we appreciate the wonderful vacation they offer. But they are all U.G.L.Y.!!!!

There's one that isn't. :rolleyes:

queen-mary-0001.jpg

I remember standing on Ft Zachary beach watching a Carnival ship and a RCL ship leave and wanting to sail on the latter because she was so beautiful.

I love the artwork (not the art auction) and the live entertainment available on RCL ships. I think I prefer the smaller ships, but we are giving the larger ones a try for our next few cruises.

Oasis class ships totally isolate you from the water. I wouldn't consider sailing on them without a substantial balcony (JS or above).

There isn'r really a large cruise ship out there (Royal included) that doesn't scream "floating tenement". We see them as attractive because we appreciate the wonderful vacation they offer. But they are all U.G.L.Y.!!!!

I am lucky enough to live overlooking the water way that leads to Greenock port and have a wall of glass that beautifully frames the cruise ships with a back drop of the Arran mountains behind. I agree some ships are just floating cities and are quite ugly however, I still mange to see/photograph a few beautiful ones. Some of the cunard are nice - The last voyage of the QE2 with the surrounding flotilla was pretty amazing. The Disney ships and some Hollands look cool too. But on saying that my favorite little ship is the Waverley and she passes my window every day of summer- Now that a beauty.

As for liking RCL ships only been on one and had an awful experience (Rhapsody). Now trying for a 2nd time this summer on the jewel hoping lightling can't strike the same place (line) twice :D

Edited by fragilek

We just did our first RCCL cruise on the Harmony. RCCL really does a great job in the design, although huge it's super easy to get around and learn the layout. The ship is beautiful, the crew great and entertainment and activities top notch, but we probably won't do it one again due to our own preferences.

I love the ocean, and never felt like i was on a ship. I missed having outside spaces . We like to eat and enjoy the pool decks with more than just loungers. For us, we prefer the pool deck as a place to hang out, play cards, eat, etc...Having to pack everything up to go have lunch would be an issue for me on a Caribbean cruise. We missed taking our buffet breakfast outside to enjoy the scenery. The gym only had porthole windows . And yes, not having an adult only pool would missed.

With teenagers, we also found late night food options lacking. It would be nice if the Promenade cafe would have a little variety and not the same 3 things each night.

For our own personal preference, a pool movie screen, tables around the pool decks , pool grill and adult pool,and the Harmony would be our PERFECT ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would like to know why Royal chooses not to have poolside grills or outdoor seating in the Windjammer. It has to a hard thought out decision. While it's not enough for us not to sail them, we do like them both venues on other lines. It's one of the things that I enjoy about Celebrity. Never had the disconnect from the sea feeling but we always book a balcony and have always found other quiet areas to connect such as aft decks 5, 6, and 16.

The beauty of the ship and entertainment on the Oasis class ships. We feel everything else is similar to all the other mass market cruise lines.
Try the brilliance wereever you look you see the ocean even in the elevators beautiful ship. :)

I would like to know why Royal chooses not to have poolside grills or outdoor seating in the Windjammer. It has to a hard thought out decision. While it's not enough for us not to sail them, we do like them both venues on other lines. It's one of the things that I enjoy about Celebrity. Never had the disconnect from the sea feeling but we always book a balcony and have always found other quiet areas to connect such as aft decks 5, 6, and 16.

I can't even begin to imagine the fights over seating. People can't control themselves over seating the way it is now, offering outdoor seating would require stationing riot police in the area. ;)

I can't even begin to imagine the fights over seating. People can't control themselves over seating the way it is now, offering outdoor seating would require stationing riot police in the area. ;)

Actually we found just the opposite to be true. Because of the presence of the outdoor seating, this alleviated crowding problems in the seating area of the buffet.

I've been on Disney, Costa,Princess and Norweigian. they all have outdoor seating and never had a issue with tables like with chair hogs

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Radiance class ships have outdoor seating. We never encountered any issues when sailing on that class.