Flying to Fort Lauderdale, but sailing from Miami

Whatever you say. Thanks for your opinion, but I disagree.

And in case you were wondering, I have been to both and stayed multiple times in both cities. I prefer Fort Lauderdale. I do not find it to be generic, but maybe that's because I don't eat at Chili's. I have no desire to return to Miami.

AMEN.. We prefer Ft Lauderdale as well, and have stayed in both areas and sailed from both areas...

We arrived in FLL very late, and we stayed at a hotel in FLL. Jiffy Jeff picked us up at the hotel and took us to the port in Miami. He is huge on communication and was very easy to work with. He then picked us up at the port and took us to the airport in FLL. We were back in FLL by 9:00am. Excellent service - I highly recommend Jiffy Jeff.

It's like a warm, generic Canada... So I can totally see that. Personally, I want to feel like I'm experiencing something I can't at home.

You can certainly experience that in Miami. Get near downtown and it's like you are in a foreign country, complete with billboards and signs in a language you don't understand!

Good luck trying to get around.

From what I have seen in Miami, the only things worth seeing is Gulfstream or Hialeah Park.

Edited by clean1owner

It's like a warm, generic Canada... So I can totally see that. Personally, I want to feel like I'm experiencing something I can't at home.

I certainly hope that you are NEVER on a cruise with me. YOU are arrogant, pompous, and rude. Each post is sarcastic and rude.. You are not any better than anyone else on these threads, and should be courteous at least. Or better yet, DON"T post, unless you have something HELPFUL to say..

We are doing the same thing. We found SAS transportation that will pick you up at your hotel and take you to the port. They also do a return trip from port to airport in Ft Lauderdale.. Check them out...

The key to SAS is to make sure they pickup at your hotel. They don't pickup at Lago Mar so we had to hire Larry's Limo the last time we sailed out of Miami.

Happy that you enjoy Miami but in 2013, we stayed in downtown Miami when the Heat were in the finals. The area was gridlocked and like a zoo. The following year we experienced the Ultra Music Concert. We were staying at the Viceroy across the river from downtown and the floors were vibrating in the hotel. I'll take Fort Lauderdale anytime over Miami.

Edited by Big_G

None of the hotels will shuttle from Ft. Laud. to Miami....

If you check SAS Transportation, they go between the 2 cities...

If you get to Miami, and stay there, you can take a cab to port in the morning.

Not true. Many of the Marriott group hotels have cruise packages that are in ft Lauderdale and transport to Miami.

TigerLady, try using your Ignore button for those members whose posts you don't want to read. I do it all the time and it has saved my blood pressure, let me tell you. ;) :D

I know and I am aware, and have used it. One can only hope that people can learn they aren't doing themselves any favors by being rude. i know, futile effort..:p

Whatever you say. Thanks for your opinion, but I disagree.

And in case you were wondering, I have been to both and stayed multiple times in both cities. I prefer Fort Lauderdale. I do not find it to be generic, but maybe that's because I don't eat at Chili's. I have no desire to return to Miami.

Totally agree. DH had to spend 6 weeks in Miami working and a good many people who live there are very rude. We were crossing the street in the sidewalk - with the walk hand signal - and a Miami driver did not want to wait until we were across the street so he could make his turn so he just began honking the horn so we would get out of his way. Had we not ran back to the curb, who knows if he would have hit us or not. We have not gone back to Miami since and don't ever plan on it again. Give me Ft. Lauderdale any day!

The key to SAS is to make sure they pickup at your hotel. They don't pickup at Lago Mar so we had to hire Larry's Limo the last time we sailed out of Miami.

Thank you for that heads up, we booked our hotel from the list they provided. Will be prepared if they don't show as requested..

Does anyone have a good hotel recommendation where we can get a shuttle to the port?

I am staying at the crown plaza at ft lauderdale airport. They have a shuttle between the airport and hotel. Then they will take me back to the airport where I get a shuttle to miami port for $15/person through QLS transportation I then will take them back to ft lauderdale airport

I certainly hope that you are NEVER on a cruise with me. YOU are arrogant, pompous, and rude. Each post is sarcastic and rude.. You are not any better than anyone else on these threads, and should be courteous at least. Or better yet, DON"T post, unless you have something HELPFUL to say..

Agreed Tiger Lady. What a jerk. Hopefully, he will never take a cruise from Port Everglades! Every city has it's unique spots and hidden gems and it is a shame this poster only saw Chilis. I am currently a resident of a Ft Lauderdale community, but lived in Miami for many years (go canes!). I am originally from Maryland and I lived in Boston for four years (undergrad degree at famous university,) I have a very good feel of what constitutes class-- and someone who wholly despises an entire city-- has none.

We have stayed in FLL and MIA when taking cruises out of MIA. We used SAS to get to an from MIA. We prefer to stay in the port city, or close by, and have stayed Downtown MIA, Blue Lagoon and at the airport. Had no problems getting around or the atmosphere in either city.

I would always prefer to stay in Miami. Such a more interesting city. Better restaurants, better beaches, better shopping. Miami actually has some culture. Ft. Lauderdale is about as soulless as your local shopping mall.

Wowwww. I completely disagree with your assessment of FTL, as a Miami resident who is very familiar with both cities.

You're right in that Miami has great restaurants, a more diverse culture, nice beaches. Fort Lauderdale also has all of those things. The beaches in FTL are just as beautiful, with the added benefit of some of them being much less crowded.

Food is subjective, there are lots of wonderful restaurants in Fort Lauderdale.

Shopping is great too. Miami has more of the high end Kardashian-style shopping, and Fort Lauderdale has all the great outlets.

Both cities have their own merits and a rich and vibrant culture, and shouldn't be compared.

That said, if I had to fly, I'd stay in Miami if I was leaving from POM just for convenience.

Well, if you want to stay in the most generic place in Florida, have at it. Maybe you can go to dinner at Chili's while you're there....

I have only cruised out of Miami once. Stayed there the night before the cruise. Ate at a Chili's. Good food, price and service. Imagine, a Chili's right in the ultra cool Miami.

Boy, some people do get all worked up over some moderately irreverent commentary.

Just to clarify: I've spent years living in Florida, but am now unfortunately relegated to the Northeast. I LOVE South Florida from Palm Beach to Key West, INCLUDING Ft. Lauderdale.

I think Miami gets a bad rap on these boards. That coupled with the somewhat timid nature of some cruise travelers, I hear so many people talking about how "easy" Ft. Lauderdale is. And I get that. A quick shuttle ride, a clean room at a decent hotel, reliable dining options and convenient shopping nearby...

But I think some of these people miss out on Miami because it's "too big" or "too busy", or even as one rather xenophobic reply intimated, "too foreign".

So yeah, I tend to swing a little hard on the "pro Miami" side of things around here. Just trying to be the yin to the collective yang...

If someone was actually offended, I am sorry. But please don't take things so personally.

You can certainly experience that in Miami. Get near downtown and it's like you are in a foreign country, complete with billboards and signs in a language you don't understand!

Good luck trying to get around.

From what I have seen in Miami, the only things worth seeing is Gulfstream or Hialeah Park.

Miami like NYC, LA, Paris, London is an international city. It is expected that most signs and some billboards will be in a different language as to accommodate foreign tourist.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agreed Tiger Lady. What a jerk. Hopefully, he will never take a cruise from Port Everglades! Every city has it's unique spots and hidden gems and it is a shame this poster only saw Chilis. I am currently a resident of a Ft Lauderdale community, but lived in Miami for many years (go canes!). I am originally from Maryland and I lived in Boston for four years (undergrad degree at famous university,) I have a very good feel of what constitutes class-- and someone who wholly despises an entire city-- has none.

LOL..... I like you!! :p