World Cruisers: Seeking Beverage(s) Advise

prescottbob

Hello!

We've booked the 2018 edition and had a question or two regarding adult beverages and such.

With 64 sea days scheduled I was wondering how experienced World Cruisers (or Grand Voyage Cruisers for that matter) handled their beverage budget. I wouldn't consider my wife and self to be overt lushes, as it were, but we do enjoy an afternoon cocktail or two, along with evening pre-dinner drinks, an after dinner drink and, of course, wine with dinner since we're not dedicated drivers when cruising.

We also enjoy the specialty coffees, perhaps a cappuccino at dinner every now and then, bottled water for ports, etc. We've been spoiled on prior cruises with the Explore 4 package plus purchasing wine packages here and there.

Multiplying out the cost of approx. $100/day for the two of us (with a beverage package) X 113 days would come in around $11K for the two of us (which would probably cover regular drinks, beer, soda, water, coffee and wine by the glass at dinner time).

Any thoughts from experienced World Cruises regarding the adult beverage budget, i.e. purchasing single drinks when "required" & wine packages versus a 15 drink beverage package that might be available?

Thanks so much in advance.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Hello!

We've booked the 2018 edition and had a question or two regarding adult beverages and such.

With 64 sea days scheduled I was wondering how experienced World Cruisers (or Grand Voyage Cruisers for that matter) handled their beverage budget. I wouldn't consider my wife and self to be overt lushes, as it were, but we do enjoy an afternoon cocktail or two, along with evening pre-dinner drinks, an after dinner drink and, of course, wine with dinner since we're not dedicated drivers when cruising.

We also enjoy the specialty coffees, perhaps a cappuccino at dinner every now and then, bottled water for ports, etc. We've been spoiled on prior cruises with the Explore 4 package plus purchasing wine packages here and there.

Multiplying out the cost of approx. $100/day for the two of us (with a beverage package) X 113 days would come in around $11K for the two of us (which would probably cover regular drinks, beer, soda, water, coffee and wine by the glass at dinner time).

Any thoughts from experienced World Cruises regarding the adult beverage budget, i.e. purchasing single drinks when "required" & wine packages versus a 15 drink beverage package that might be available?

Might you want to consider less alcohol. Certainly would be easier on the wallet.

Scott & Karen

Hello!

We find it hard to use all of the value of the SBC even on a short cruise, I doubt it would be useful on a long one.

If you are 3* mariners or above you do get discounts on the specialty coffees and the wine packages (25% for 3*, 50% for 4* and above) which should help you to limit your drinks budget.

“Might you want to consider less alcohol. Certainly would be easier on the wallet.”

“That's a rather snide comment, don't you think?”

No, I absolutely do not consider this a snide comment. I’m really sorry that you do.

Scott & Karen

Hello!

Your 4 star status gets you discounts on wine packages and there is of course Happy Hour. As noted, discounts on Explorations Cafe plus mini bar purchases (water for your shorex).

I doubt that the Explore 4-type of package is available on WC, but there is a "one glass of wine with dinner every night" type of package.

The WC Ship Services Department can likely help with info on what packages will be available.

Edited by SilvertoGold

“Might you want to consider less alcohol. Certainly would be easier on the wallet.”

No, I absolutely do not consider this a snide comment. I’m really sorry that you do.

Scott & Karen

I don't post often, however, in my opinion, I too thought your comment was not helpful and would agree with the observation of snide.

To the OP, if you don't have the comfortable benefit of E4, I would suggest pre-paying OBC, so the financial impact of a long cruise is less painful at the finish line.

I have never found that beverage package cost "adds up" especially when you consider your port days.

As others have said, if you are eligible for the discount on the wine packages, that is a good route to go. You can have that bottle anywhere on the ship and they will fetch it for you.

You might want to consider buying some beverage cards too. That way, you will have some of the cost "covered" or pre-paid and avoid a bunch of slips and an awful lot to keep track of on your cruise. Any unused portion is refunded to you. (If you are 4*, don't use it at the Explorations for your coffees or you will miss your discount).

Thanks to everyone for their advise.

I do like the periodic pre-cruise 'contributions' to the OBC account to build it up somewhat for such a long sojourn.

And one poster is probably correct about cutting back (I've been telling myself that for 45 plus years) but a typical Sea Day routine for me is a specialty coffee or two in the A.M., a beer with lunch, an umbrella drink mid afternoon around the pool, a couple of cocktails in the Ocean Bar / Crow's Nest while dancing pre-dinner, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and an after dinner drink in the show lounge or Crow's Nest to help with 'digestion'.

We did the beverage cards years ago but unfortunately my better half misplaced a $100 card during one voyage and, obviously at that time at least, no one turned it in to the Lost & Found office even with our cabin number written on it in magic marker (washable I'm sure). So hence forth I ended the beverage card purchases.

I forgot about the 50% discount for the coffees but do use the discount for the wine package purchases. Speaking of which, I thought I read somewhere that the WC voyage offer 48 bottle wine packages. Any thoughts on that? (we're not too picking really: most dry reds fit the bill for us)

It would be nice if HAL had some sort of BP (beverage package) that would be half of what it is now, i.e. approx. $25 + tips for, say 6-7 beverages/ day / adult. I prefer being 'paperless' as much as possible, i.e. having to match all the drink receipts against a periodic checking of the on board account statement.

Thanks again & all be well.

Scott & Karen

It was snide, and the OP's use of alcohol should be of no concern to you.

You might want to consider ordering some bottles of alcohol for your cabin, and switch to having an occasional cocktail in your cabin. That should be a saving. Even 1 or 2 each per week would add up.

Enjoy that World Cruise :)

Agree that buying bottle(s) for the cabin might save you some $s. Are you also considering buying wine at the various ports and paying the corkage fee? Would probably still be cheaper than buying HAL's wine by the bottle?

Generally, for us on a short cruise (under 30 days), we feel we are on vacation and take the usual vacation attitude towards beverages. But on the very long cruises, 30 days and up, we tend to drift back into our usual daily home routine. That would be a couple of glasses of wine at dinner for DW and a few beers for me.

We always have the SBP for the shorter cruises, either purchased or through the Explore-4 promotion. For the longer cruises, we buy beverage cards. We plow through them pretty quickly for the first couple of weeks, and taper down to our home routine for the remainder of the cruise. The breakeven point with SBP is about 6 or 7 beverages per day. After that, you are saving money.

We follow the same routine the OP mentioned, with a combination of specialty coffees, afternoon beers, pre-dinner drinks, wines at dinner, after dinner drinks, and bottles of water for the cabin and shore excursions. But that is only on the shorter cruises.

We are both in our upper 60's, and have followed this routine all of our cruising history, starting in the mid 70's on the Sunward II. We also do not appreciate suggestions that we should consider cutting back. It's our bodies and our wallets, and they both are doing fine.

Edited by TAD2005

In their World Cruise Blog this year WCB reported that the 48 bottle wine packages were priced at $1391 and $1838, minus your 4 star discount.

So your choice of $905 for 48 = $19 per bottle and/or $1195 for 48 = $25 per bottle. A lot better than paying corkage.

Edited by SilvertoGold

In their World Cruise Blog this year WCB reported that the 48 bottle wine packages were priced at $1391 and $1838, minus your 4 star discount.

So your choice of $905 for 48 = $19 per bottle and/or $1195 for 48 = $25 per bottle. A lot better than paying corkage.

Was that a pre-boarding price?

If you cannot afford to drink all that booze, you would simply have to cut-back. On our long cruises we do not alter our drinking habits which usually include a pre-dinner cocktail, wine at dinner, and usually 1 or more post dinner drinks. One way we do control our budget is to purchase the Admiral Wine Package (we get a 50% discount) and only drink a half bottle of wine (we have the sommelier save the other half for a future meal) at most dinners. But even that is not about budget..but rather trying to control our calories :).

Hank

Price wise, you are right. As far as quality is concerned, you could not be farther from the truth. ;)

Edited by taxmantoo

Not sure if I can follow that math, but here is how it worked for us on half the 2014 WC. DW seldom drinks, so I bought a 12 bottle Navigator package. Price was $386 and add 15% to that is $57.90. 4-star discount of 50% on the $386 of $193 brings the total to $250.90; an average of $20.90 per bottle. So you would have to buy your wine ashore at less than $2.90 per bottle to break even on that deal. They did run out of the dry reds that I chose, but the substitutes were very good.

DH and I like our cocktails also. We do not buy the drink package or the wine package. We bring 2 bottles of wine on board at the beginning and pay the $18 for the corkage for a red we prefer(if we bring on too much.) We bring several large bottles of water and on port days we buy more wine, if we like it, and pay the corkage. Find that it spreads out the cost and we drink what we want. If you take your wine to the dining room, or the Pinnacle, they will keep the bottle for you. Enjoy the trip.

We have been on 3 WCs and like you, enjoy our drinks.

From observation, a number of folks order the 48 bottles of wine and actually run out before the cruise is over. They seemed very satisfied with their choice.

Our problem is that most of the wines dont fit our tastes; hence, we bring onboard cases of wine we prefer, pay the corkage fees and then enjoy those periodically thru the cruise. We supplement them with bottles ordered from the wine list - when the ship doesn't run out - which they have done on each of the WCs we have been on. Further, we purchase wines at the vineyards that are on HAL excursions and they are exempt from corkage fee as well.

We also enjoy pre-dinner cocktail - and the good news is that happy hour allows you to get 2 for price of 1 - so if you plan it right, you can save money there unless you only drink premium in which case you need a higher budget than otherwise.

Often, I go down to Exploration Cafe at 6am to get the Grande Lattes for DW and me. Those are 50% off if 4 or 5 star mariners - another savings.

harry

Edited by Harry1954

And according to Pete (Inside Cabin) if you sign up pre cruise you save an additional $100 on those packages.

Price wise, you are right. As far as quality is concerned, you could not be farther from the truth. ;)

"Truth"? Are you serious?

You forget: tastes vary. Do not people on this board add the caution when talking about food: "food is subjective"? So, with wine.

People on this thread are attempting to help the OP. He has said he has purchased wine packages. Let us all allow him his opinion of those wines, and me mine.

Thank you.

Not sure if I can follow that math, but here is how it worked for us on half the 2014 WC. DW seldom drinks, so I bought a 12 bottle Navigator package. Price was $386 and add 15% to that is $57.90. 4-star discount of 50% on the $386 of $193 brings the total to $250.90; an average of $20.90 per bottle. So you would have to buy your wine ashore at less than $2.90 per bottle to break even on that deal. They did run out of the dry reds that I chose, but the substitutes were very good.

$1391 x 15% = 206.65

50% of $1391 = 695.50

= $902.15 and divided by 48 bottles = $18.80

Edited by SilvertoGold