Shorts or no shorts?

BeachyGurl

Hello fellow cruisers....

I've read conflicting posts on shorts allowed, or not, in the specialty dinning restaurants.

If NCL is "freestyle" doesn't that relate to attire as well?

I would think classy shorts, would suffice with a nice shirt.

Yes? No? or Otherwise.

I've never seen anyone turned away from the specialties when I've eaten in them, but to be honest, I don't pay attention to what people are wearing.

There is a tendency to equate "Freestyle" with nearly any libertine position taken by anyone, and then declare that you may as well go back to formal nights with tuxedos if someone can't, say, clip their toenails in the dining room. This position is usually taken by someone looking for a reason to not like NCL before they cruise on the line.

You don't have to go that far. Just don't cruise on the line. You don't have to have a reason to not like NCL, you can just not like them. Maybe you don't like consonants and won't go on any line that does not have at least one vowel in their initials. That's fine. No one cares.

Freestyle eliminated the formal dress nights, and introduced true any time dining. That's what the term means. It doesn't mean you can go in without a shirt, or clip your toenails during dinner. It was never intended to be an all-encompassing term that reflected on anything and everything.

I've read conflicting posts on shorts allowed, or not, in the specialty dinning restaurants.

Yes? No? or Otherwise.

Follow the Dress Code in your freestyle daily. Shorts are never welcome in Le Bistro. On small ships and the Epic, one main dining room does not welcome shorts. On the -away class ships, shorts are not welcome in the Ocean Blue and Bayamo restaurants.

Otherwise shorts are allowed. Many people prefer to get a little dressed up for dinner and wear resort casual.

Yes, shorts are permitted in all specialties except Le Bistro, Bayamo, and Ocean Blue.

If you're also curious about MDRs, it varies ship to ship. For instance, on some ships you can't wear shorts in the aft dining room, but on Escape (and maybe some others) you can. You can check your freestyle dailies for the specific and latest dress code while on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've never seen anyone turned away from the specialties when I've eaten in them, but to be honest, I don't pay attention to what people are wearing.

There is a tendency to equate "Freestyle" with nearly any libertine position taken by anyone, and then declare that you may as well go back to formal nights with tuxedos if someone can't, say, clip their toenails in the dining room. This position is usually taken by someone looking for a reason to not like NCL before they cruise on the line.

You don't have to go that far. Just don't cruise on the line. You don't have to have a reason to not like NCL, you can just not like them. Maybe you don't like consonants and won't go on any line that does not have at least one vowel in their initials. That's fine. No one cares.

Freestyle eliminated the formal dress nights, and introduced true any time dining. That's what the term means. It doesn't mean you can go in without a shirt, or clip your toenails during dinner. It was never intended to be an all-encompassing term that reflected on anything and everything.

You sir...are just gross!

Move on in your disgusting toenail life!!

Being a Kiwi I wear shorts all year in all weathers so consider myself a bit of an authority!! :cool:

On NCL cruises we have taken the only places I would not be "welcome" in shorts have been one of the MDRs, usually the one at the stern, for dinner and le Bistro.

Follow the Dress Code in your freestyle daily. Shorts are never welcome in Le Bistro. On small ships and the Epic, one main dining room does not welcome shorts. On the -away class ships, shorts are not welcome in the Ocean Blue and Bayamo restaurants.

Otherwise shorts are allowed. Many people prefer to get a little dressed up for dinner and wear resort casual.

Thank you Bird.

Myself and family will be on the Escape.

We love to dress up, but I thought NCL was more casual, my mistake. Will have the boys bring a pair of slacks for Le Bistro and Cagney's.

Thanks!

Yes, shorts are permitted in all specialties except Le Bistro, Bayamo, and Ocean Blue.

If you're also curious about MDRs, it varies ship to ship. For instance, on some ships you can't wear shorts in the aft dining room, but on Escape (and maybe some others) you can. You can check your freestyle dailies for the specific and latest dress code while on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks Pizza....and you are my favorite food group too:-)

Being a Kiwi I wear shorts all year in all weathers so consider myself a bit of an authority!! :cool:

On NCL cruises we have taken the only places I would not be "welcome" in shorts have been one of the MDRs, usually the one at the stern, for dinner and le Bistro.

Thank you Kiwi! Exactly the answer I was asking for.

Yes? No? or Otherwise.

In general, they want big-boy pants in two places-LeBistro and the larger of two Main Dining Rooms.

Reality is that some itineraries from some homeports the crew eventually just gives up on any attempts at enforcing the policy.

In general, they want big-boy pants in two places-LeBistro and the larger of two Main Dining Rooms.

Reality is that some itineraries from some homeports the crew eventually just gives up on any attempts at enforcing the policy.

So you are going with "otherwise".

Thank you Bird.

We love to dress up, but I thought NCL was more casual, my mistake. Will have the boys bring a pair of slacks for Le Bistro and Cagney's.

Thanks!

On the Escape, other than Bayamo and Le Bistro, you can wear shorts in all restaurants and not feel the least bit out of place. Many folks will dress up a bit at night,,, but there is nothing that would require you to do so if you wanted to make your entire cruise casual.

Will have the boys bring a pair of slacks for Le Bistro and Cagney's.

Thanks!

I didn't catch how old "the boys" are. If they are 12 or under, they can wear shorts in any restaurant.

"Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants." - NCL

Define how short is short ?

Some shorts would embarrass a bikini swim suit !

Then shorts varying all the way from 2 inch hem length to Bermudas to the

extreme length of capris where pants start.

Simply good judgment which the NCL Freestyle allows the envelope to be

pushed to the edge may result in the level of service you receive based on

how you are dressed.

Hidden agenda - feed these rascals fast and move them out of the dining room

as fast as possible -or- slow it down so they won't want to come back again.

I beat NCL at it's game by wearing my summer weight above the knee kilt

with long sleeve poet shirt knee length cable knit sox and loafers. Have not

had any issues at any of the restaurant venues. In one case on the NCL Sun

and dining in the Le Bistro the Matri 'd was impressed enough to comp a

bottle of wine with dinner and wee had a wee conversation of Scotland !

I am not a celebrity but I like to play one pushing the NCL Freestyle dining envelope !

Thank you Bird.

Thanks!

Sigh .. I knew i shouldn't have read this thread it would just make me angry about where society is headed :(

You sir...are just gross!

Move on in your disgusting toenail life!!

Actually, on the Gem this winter (and as I reported at the time), my wife and I were enjoying a quiet morning in the shade on Deck 13, when a woman sat down on a lounger next to us and began clipping her toenails. Clip, clip, clip, clop, clop, clop, nail pieces hitting the deck. It was gross. My wife, a very calm human being who does not seek out confrontation, politely said to this person, "would you please do your personal grooming in your stateroom?" The reply: "This is a cruise. I'm free to do anything I want, wherever I want."

The woman then took out a whole pedicure kit and was about to start removing old nail polish. My wife spoke to her again, politely, and the woman, who I guess realized she wasn't going to have an uninterrupted self-pedicure, moved away.

You can wear shorts when dining on the Waterfront at Bayamo or La Cuchina. Don't know about Le Bistro.

Shoulders must be covered, for men at least, at all specialty restaurants and maybe the MDR's as well.

If you have any question, just stop by the hostess stand before changing.

Yes? No? or Otherwise.

No shorts in Le Bistro or Cagneys, otherwise, shorts are permitted in all other dining venues.

Well, I stand corrected - rechecking our Breakaway Frestyle Daily last month ... for years, the understanding was that for the larger MDR after 5:30 PM - resort casuals & shorts not being allowed there.

Next time, one can go in shorts & t-shirts with flip flops and beach sandals to the Manhattan MDR for evening dinner / supper. :D

It read "Dress Code: Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except Ocean Blue and Le Bistro after 5:00p. Shoes and shirt must be worn."

So, it's not that the rules are not being enforced. Rather, NCL has changed the rules, again.

6997835cf516d02d5f891cf098fef0d4.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Thank you Bird.

Thanks!

Freestyle does not necessarily equate to "casual". What it means is that you are free to decide how dressy or casual you want to be while keeping in mind the dress code as spelled out on the NCL website. If you haven't read it, take a look.

You can go as formal as you want, or wear cocktail attire and not garner a second glance. All the dress code requires for men are long pants in a couple of places, and keep in mind they can be jeans or docker/khaki type pants. Also no tank tops, caps or open toe shoes for men. Collared shirts required, and they can be polo or golf type shirts, no dress shirts required. Generally, Le Bistro and the aft MDR requires the long pants, although there are exceptions on some ships. Consult the Freestyle Daily. Even in those requiring long pants, Kilts attire and true Bermuda shorts, as worn by the business community in Bermuda, are allowed when worn with dress shirt and dress shoes with knee socks. Not cargo shorts and tube socks;).

Edited by punkincc

Actually, on the Gem this winter (and as I reported at the time), my wife and I were enjoying a quiet morning in the shade on Deck 13, when a woman sat down on a lounger next to us and began clipping her toenails. Clip, clip, clip, clop, clop, clop, nail pieces hitting the deck. It was gross. My wife, a very calm human being who does not seek out confrontation, politely said to this person, "would you please do your personal grooming in your stateroom?" The reply: "This is a cruise. I'm free to do anything I want, wherever I want."

The woman then took out a whole pedicure kit and was about to start removing old nail polish. My wife spoke to her again, politely, and the woman, who I guess realized she wasn't going to have an uninterrupted self-pedicure, moved away.

All I can say is Wow! I'm not sure I would have been as calm and collected as your wife.

That's disgusting. Nailclipping in public is a pet peeve of mine. I take the commuter train into the city for work and you'd be surprised at how many people seem to think this is acceptable behaviour. Pieces of nail flying everywhere. Ugh

I probably would have said to that lady... "this is true. You are on a cruise, but being free to do whatever you want doesn't mean you should lack manners or not obey the rules and customs of society. If you agree that you can do whatever you want, then you should agree that I can do whatever I want, and I am likely going to take your nail clipper and toss it overboard if you keep continuing."