Confused about extra tipping

edit: I don't think I would go the service desk route. I like to "look them in the eye" and say thank you directly. The envelopes make it less awkward for us.

Doing it in person is MORE awkward for me.

Tipping isn't about me, anyway, so I don't need to feel one way or the other about it. The point is that they know their extra work was valued. So there's a thank you at the time of the extra work, and some money in their account. For me they don't have to go together, and in fact acting like the big moneyman makes me feel really really weird. (but if it were required I'd do it, because it's not about how I feel)

Can any of you folks from across the pond let me know whether handing an additional cash tip straight to your server is considered bad form.

It's not bad form. For some the envelope just makes people feel less weird about it all.

Can any of you folks from across the pond let me know whether handing an additional cash tip straight to your server is considered bad form.

I thought I had got my head round this extra tipping lark but now with the mention of people using envelopes is my handing cash in slightly bad taste (although probably gratefully received).

Thanks (a tipping confused Brit)

Handing a worker, who works in a tipped position, straight cash, is absolutely fine. They will love it. No awkwardness involved.

An observation on tipping

I have friends who hand over a large tip to the staff at their favourite bar on day one, resulting in great service for the rest of the cruise

No queuing at the bar for them

While others paying 18 percent on top for each drink have to wait

I have friends who hand over a large tip to the staff at their favourite bar on day one, resulting in great service for the rest of the cruise

The friend also paid the 18% grats - the large tip is on top of that.

Sorry folks

Sausage is cockney rhyming slang.......nothing rude at all

Sausage and mash.........cash!

A cocktail sausage is small........small tip......you might get look.......not be appreciated....

Sorry forth confusion!

No need to be sorry ,thank you for clearing that up!:)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

We feel that the auto gratuities are actually part of their pay. We always give extra cash that is very appreciated to our wait staff and room attendants. We give bar servers at least 1$ for each drink. The bar staff in the concierge lounge we tip 5 to 10 a night as they pool their tips. We always tip the concierge as well, with the amount due to a the extra things he/ she helps us with during the cruise. We tip on shore as well so just natural for us to reward good service. An envelope with a note is very acceptable.

Your friends are tipping on top of the automatic 18% - they still have to pay that - their initial first tip may or may not result in better service. What if the bartender doesn't work that location the next time they are there?

We want to be prepared to tip our wait staff and room stewards (and anyone else we see fit) AUD is our currency so we are wondering if we should tip USD or local currency to the area the ship is in?

We want any tips to be a usable blessing not a exchange problem.

Thanks

Tips are usually in USD and extra tips are much appreciated, but not required. We tip extra for those who truly deserve it..

Does your "friend" expect better service through presenting his "tip" at the start of the cruise?

Does he think that it is "fair" to his fellow cruisers who have to wait in line that he gets special treatment that he is not really entitled to?

I have no problem with paying for extra for more. I cruise in a suite and pay up front for extra privileges including "free" drinks in the concierge lounge and not having to wait in line for tenders, customs etc.....

Is what your "friend" is doing really necessary?

I am sure the bar server appreciates it though..........

Does your "friend" expect better service through presenting his "tip" at the start of the cruise?

I think they do, hence the up front tip ( bribe)

Myself i feel the 18% is enough for standing in line at the bar and having the top taken off a bottle of beer.

Just off Anthem. We are accustomed to having two or three dl servers who we tip on last night, however late in the cruise we learned that they didn't pool their tips, and there were 7 of them. It was a dilemma as a couple were very personable while we barely saw others. Ended up just tipping the three who stopped by to see us every night and knew what we were drinking. Next trip might switch to tipping by the drink.

[quote name='Penciltwister']I tip a lot. I'm just so generous. And I love coming on here and making sure everyone knows I tip so much and I get much better service than everyone else because I'm the best tipper on the ship.

Just got home from work (horrible Monday)and this is what I read!!!

Lol... cannot stop laughing :D

Thank you, Penciltwister:D Edited by Reader0108598

What about tipping in Coastal Kitchen? (I may have asked this some time ago, but honestly don't remember.) Assuming grats are covered under prepaid gratuities. Is CK similar to MTD in that you'll probably have same waitstaff at dinner if your reservation is for the same time? If tipping additional, do you wait until the end of the cruise? Not really knowing what our specialty dining plans will be, I've made reservations at CK for every other evening at 8pm beginning the first day, alternating with MTD. Since it's just two of us, we're going to wing it with our specialty reservations over the 13 days. Edited by jules815

[quote name='gagirl7143']We feel that the auto gratuities are actually part of their pay. We always give extra cash that is very appreciated to our wait staff and room attendants. We give bar servers at least 1$ for each drink. The bar staff in the concierge lounge we tip 5 to 10 a night as they pool their tips. We always tip the concierge as well, with the amount due to a the extra things he/ she helps us with during the cruise. We tip on shore as well so just natural for us to reward good service. An envelope with a note is very acceptable.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion that is the problem,when will this end? We just keep adding tips on top of tips?? We are now just calling it something different.

A gratuity is a thank you, for exceptional service.

I am not responsible for their pay,their employer is.

Reader Edited by Reader0108598

[quote name='jules815']What about tipping in Coastal Kitchen? (I may have asked this some time ago, but honestly don't remember.) Assuming grats are covered under prepaid gratuities. Is CK similar to MTD in that you'll probably have same waitstaff at dinner if your reservation is for the same time? If tipping additional, do you wait until the end of the cruise? Not really knowing what our specialty dining plans will be, I've made reservations at CK for every other evening at 8pm beginning the first day, alternating with MTD. Since it's just two of us, we're going to wing it with our specialty reservations over the 13 days.[/QUOTE]

You've obviously been cruising a while, so just use some common sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='pk_crusing']We have prepaid, I am talking about any extra we may choose to give. So i am hearing that USD is the best way to go or via the services desk.[/QUOTE]

I think either would be fine (USD or the local currency of where the ship is based).

[quote name='germanfflyer']I find this whole tipping thing so annoying! - I have stopped tipping at all - did not notice any difference in service.....[/QUOTE]

Glad that you got the same service, even stiffing the crew. This was about someone who thought they might want to tip a little extra asking what currency to use, though.