Royal in Istanbul

royal65

Since the OP hasn't replied & even though I don't have a current independent travel insurance policy, I wonder if it's because of terrorism coverage which some policies offer. I don't recall when they're traveling but here's one definition of terrorism coverage in a policy. Also maybe some policies include coverage when a government prevents or recommends not traveling to someplace.

A Terrorist Act which occurs in your departure city or in a city to which you are scheduled to travel while on your Trip, and which occurs within 30 days of your Scheduled Departure Date, provided the city has not experienced a Terrorist Act in the 30 days prior to the effective date of your coverage;

TERRORIST ACT means an act of violence, other than civil disorder or riot, (that is not an act of war, declared or undeclared) that results in loss of life or major damage to property, by any person acting on behalf of or in connection with any organization which is generally recognized as having the intent to overthrow or influence the control of any government"

As stated it would be all about timing with the purchase of the policy. :eek:

Can I ask what Insurance you used? We also don't have cancel for any reason.

I did call our insurance yesterday they said we would not be covered. We have three stops in Turkey. The cruise is payed in full. Not sure what to do at this point.

Thanks, for any information you can give us.

We bought the cruise on a credit card that has travel insurance (including trip interruption and cancellation) as part of the package of benefits (BMO World Elite Mastercard). The insurance is provided through Allianz. I did call and speak to them to confirm, but it does also say in the benefits booklet that a government travel advisory is a sufficient reason to cancel.

If you bought your cruise on a credit card, maybe you have cancellation insurance through your card as well.

Hope that helps :)

Since the OP hasn't replied & even though I don't have a current independent travel insurance policy, I wonder if it's because of terrorism coverage which some policies offer. I don't recall when they're traveling but here's one definition of terrorism coverage in a policy. Also maybe some policies include coverage when a government prevents or recommends not traveling to someplace.

A Terrorist Act which occurs in your departure city or in a city to which you are scheduled to travel while on your Trip, and which occurs within 30 days of your Scheduled Departure Date, provided the city has not experienced a Terrorist Act in the 30 days prior to the effective date of your coverage;

TERRORIST ACT means an act of violence, other than civil disorder or riot, (that is not an act of war, declared or undeclared) that results in loss of life or major damage to property, by any person acting on behalf of or in connection with any organization which is generally recognized as having the intent to overthrow or influence the control of any government"

Sorry to be so late to reply -- had a busy day today.

We're Canadian, so insurance and laws governing insurance may be different here.

The insurance applies because the Government of Canada issued a travel advisory to avoid all unnecessary travel to Turkey, and we bought the cruise before the travel advisory was issued, and the cruise line has not cancelled those port stops (at this time--they probably will, but the last time I checked--yesterday-- they were still selling the cruise with Istanbul and Kusadasi listed as port stops.

(Btw, this insurance does not cover terrorism or acts of war.)

We bought the cruise on a credit card that has travel insurance (including trip interruption and cancellation) as part of the package of benefits (BMO World Elite Mastercard). The insurance is provided through Allianz. I did call and speak to them to confirm, but it does also say in the benefits booklet that a government travel advisory is a sufficient reason to cancel.

If you bought your cruise on a credit card, maybe you have cancellation insurance through your card as well.

Sorry to be so late to reply -- had a busy day today.

We're Canadian, so insurance and laws governing insurance may be different here.

The insurance applies because the Government of Canada issued a travel advisory to avoid all unnecessary travel to Turkey, and we bought the cruise before the travel advisory was issued, and the cruise line has not cancelled those port stops (at this time--they probably will, but the last time I checked--yesterday-- they were still selling the cruise with Istanbul and Kusadasi listed as port stops.

(Btw, this insurance does not cover terrorism or acts of war.)

Thanks...will definitely check my different charge cards to research their coverages.

Edited by Astro Flyer

“All airline carriers, regardless of country of registry, are prohibited from flying into the United States from Turkey either directly or via third country,” the U.S. Embassy in Ankara said

In any case, the ban was totally lifted the afternoon of 7/18.

Edited by caribill

Thanks, for the information. Our insurance is also with Allianz yesterday when I called I was told this was not covered.

I will check our credit cards we did use them to pay for the cruise.

Thanks, for the information.

Thanks, for the information. Our insurance is also with Allianz yesterday when I called I was told this was not covered.

I will check our credit cards we did use them to pay for the cruise.

Thanks, for the information.

I was thinking the same. The OP may find this is not covered.

I would love to still be able to stop in Istanbul, and I'm glad they didn't just cancel it right away and are waiting & monitoring the situation. Our stop is still over a month away (8/25, same as macandlucy's) and I'm hopeful that things will stabilize enough to safely travel by then. I'm already hugely disappointed that they cancelled Tunisia & Sicily (Those two ports were the primary reason I chose this cruise. I would've cancelled if I didn't have the Sip & Sail promo -- can't give that up! :p ) and replaced them with Cartagena & Gibraltar (been there before, and they're not the most exciting ports, IMO).

Obviously, I don't want to go to Istanbul if we wouldn't be safe there. If they do end up canceling, I hope they're at least able to replace it with another port. I'd be fine seeing Rhodes or anywhere else in Greece instead. As long as they don't just drop it for a sea day, I'll be happy. I love the ship, but I travel to see new places!

Edited by perkyblue

My dear friend Kagan in Istanbul is having a frightful time there, he and his wife and two girls live under the bridge that was occupied. Istanbul is an amazing place, so sad at the state of this country. Anyway I thought you all might be interested in his narrative of that night so here it is:

Home being under the suspension bridge, it was like watching a war movie.

Later on, we understand that we were at the center of the struggle.

Shootings, explosions all night long...

Fighter planes flying noisy and very close...

People shouting, protesting, saying "soldiers, back to barracks"...

Could not move away family till 4am since all roads were blocked.

Amazingly, Melodi was able to sleep, waking up from time to time, fireworks we told her, get back to sleep !

One hour before everything started, we were on our way to a movie.

Police was everywhere.

Could not give a meaning to this since we do not really see them on the way to a mall !

So, Erdogan knew that this was coming, yet could not do anything to stop it, instead, confronted it, turning the city into a battle ground.

It was not his police but in fact - like or hate the leadership, people stopped the military to take over.

Yet, we never knew how powerful the other side was.

The other side is: Fettullah.

This is a hidden religious organization being active in Turkey behind walls for the last 30-40 years.

We knew that they were there.

They supported Erdogan from the beginning and in exchange, placed their own man in important positions.

Erdogan even turned Fettullah's birthdate as a day of celebration - a holiday for one day !

In time, power conflict started between these two.

Probably, even Erdogan did not know how deep Fettullah's spider nets were.

And we come to these days.

It is a witch hunt for Fettullah supporters out there now.

I am not sure exactly but it looks like around 50,000 people (soldiers, judges, teachers, bureaucrats, etc) are either kicked off from their active duties or are behind walls now.

In such a short time, no governments can react so fast, it is obvious that Erdogan leadership allready had a list of Fettullah followers.

In other words, this coup gave Erdogan a very good excuse to clean the society to his desire.

I would love to still be able to stop in Istanbul, and I'm glad they didn't just cancel it right away and are waiting & monitoring the situation. Our stop is still over a month away (8/25, same as macandlucy's) and I'm hopeful that things will stabilize enough to safely travel by then. I'm already hugely disappointed that they cancelled Tunisia & Sicily (Those two ports were the primary reason I chose this cruise. I would've cancelled if I didn't have the Sip & Sail promo -- can't give that up! :p ) and replaced them with Cartagena & Gibraltar (been there before, and they're not the most exciting ports, IMO).

Obviously, I don't want to go to Istanbul if we wouldn't be safe there. If they do end up canceling, I hope they're at least able to replace it with another port. I'd be fine seeing Rhodes or anywhere else in Greece instead. As long as they don't just drop it for a sea day, I'll be happy. I love the ship, but I travel to see new places!

I also hope things will stabilize there, too, and that you'll all have safe and happy travels on that cruise :)

We also really wanted to go to Istanbul, btw. Just for us, not right now, not this summer, but we do definitely hope to get there one day.

Just logged on to cruise personalizer in order to browse available shore excursions and it seems the 20/8 itenarary has changed as follows

Rome

Naples

At sea

Kotor

Corfu

Heraklion

Mykonos

Athens

Although disappointed that we will not see Kusadasi and Istanbul (and not cruise through Dardanelles which is really scenic) Kotor and Corfu are a really good substitution

The weird thing is that if you try to book the same cruise through princess website it will show you still Istanbul and Kusadasi as part of it.:confused:

I hope it is clarified over the next 1-2 days:)

We have just received notification that the two stops in Kusadasi have now been removed from the itinerary on our 14 day cruise sailing on 23 July.

Rhodes and Valletta have also been remove sadly.

We will now visit Mykonos, Kotor and Corfu twice each.

Safety first I guess but I was looking forward to visiting Malta!

My dear friend Kagan in Istanbul is having a frightful time there, he and his wife and two girls live under the bridge that was occupied. Istanbul is an amazing place, so sad at the state of this country. Anyway I thought you all might be interested in his narrative of that night so here it is:

Home being under the suspension bridge, it was like watching a war movie.

Later on, we understand that we were at the center of the struggle.

Shootings, explosions all night long...

Fighter planes flying noisy and very close...

People shouting, protesting, saying "soldiers, back to barracks"...

Could not move away family till 4am since all roads were blocked.

Amazingly, Melodi was able to sleep, waking up from time to time, fireworks we told her, get back to sleep !

One hour before everything started, we were on our way to a movie.

Police was everywhere.

Could not give a meaning to this since we do not really see them on the way to a mall !

So, Erdogan knew that this was coming, yet could not do anything to stop it, instead, confronted it, turning the city into a battle ground.

It was not his police but in fact - like or hate the leadership, people stopped the military to take over.

Yet, we never knew how powerful the other side was.

The other side is: Fettullah.

This is a hidden religious organization being active in Turkey behind walls for the last 30-40 years.

We knew that they were there.

They supported Erdogan from the beginning and in exchange, placed their own man in important positions.

Erdogan even turned Fettullah's birthdate as a day of celebration - a holiday for one day !

In time, power conflict started between these two.

Probably, even Erdogan did not know how deep Fettullah's spider nets were.

And we come to these days.

It is a witch hunt for Fettullah supporters out there now.

I am not sure exactly but it looks like around 50,000 people (soldiers, judges, teachers, bureaucrats, etc) are either kicked off from their active duties or are behind walls now.

In such a short time, no governments can react so fast, it is obvious that Erdogan leadership allready had a list of Fettullah followers.

In other words, this coup gave Erdogan a very good excuse to clean the society to his desire.

Thanks for the first hand report Amelia.

I had been under the impression that the military (who I thought started the coup) was secular and Erdogan leaned towards the more religious. But from your friend's description it sounds like that was not the case.

We have just received notification that the two stops in Kusadasi have now been removed from the itinerary on our 14 day cruise sailing on 23 July.

Rhodes and Valletta have also been remove sadly.

We will now visit Mykonos, Kotor and Corfu twice each.

Safety first I guess but I was looking forward to visiting Malta!

We are on the 14 day Royal cruise commencing 30 July and are saddened too that Malta has been replaced. It was the sole reason we chose this cruise. Not sure I can tell the wife until we get on board!

I'm struggling to see why logistically the removal of Kusadasi impacts on Malta.

Esprit, I agree, I don't understand the drastic change either. That is now 3 ports changed.

Our trip is not starting well. Our plane has just returned to Heathrow due to the nose wheel door not closing!

Esprit, I agree, I don't understand the drastic change either. That is now 3 ports changed.

Our trip is not starting well. Our plane has just returned to Heathrow due to the nose wheel door not closing!

I'm sorry to read you will have to repeat certain ports and now this incident! I hope the Rome airport disruption has been halted.

Just read on the Holland America board that folks are reporting that they have received emails from HAL stating that the line has cancelled all stops in Istanbul for the remainder of 2016. Other ports such as Santorini and Mykynos, and/or overnight stay in Athens have been substituted.

Assume Princess won't be far behind...

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Just read on the Holland America board that folks are reporting that they have received emails from HAL stating that the line has cancelled all stops in Istanbul for the remainder of 2016. Other ports such as Santorini and Mykynos, and/or overnight stay in Athens have been substituted.

Assume Princess won't be far behind...

All of the Istanbul stops on future Pacific Princess cruises for this year have been canceled. On our 11/21 cruise the Istanbul overnight has been replaced with Kotor, Montenegro and Rhodes Greece.