Royal in Istanbul

royal65

The Royal was scheduled to call in Istanbul in May and June. With many of the cruise lines canceling this port call and some ships doing abbreviated stops, I'm wondering whether the Royal actually stopped as scheduled. thanx

The Royal was scheduled to call in Istanbul in May and June. With many of the cruise lines canceling this port call and some ships doing abbreviated stops, I'm wondering whether the Royal actually stopped as scheduled. thanx
The Royal did stop in Istanbul on 06/09. Looks like she is scheduled to make four more stops on 7/7, 7/28, 8/25 and 9/15. Edited by IECalCruiser

We had a wonderful stop on 6-9 with absolutely no issues. Was for me one of the highlights of a 21 day cruise. Hope she continues to go in for those who want to see this fascinating city. FYI we also stopped in Kusadasi.

We had a wonderful stop on 6-9 with absolutely no issues. Was for me one of the highlights of a 21 day cruise. Hope she continues to go in for those who want to see this fascinating city. FYI we also stopped in Kusadasi.

We also had no issues on our May 14-28 Med cruise. We enjoyed both Istanbul and Kusadasi.

We were there on her last stop which happened to be the day after the bombing of the police van. Had no issues what so ever. Yes, there were people who chose to stay on board. Their loss. The people greeted us warmly and sincerely thanked us for coming. Loved it!

We are scheduled to stop there in a few days.

Most European cruise lines have already stopped calling to Turkey, I really don't know why Princess are still going. There have been several warnings about Istanbul, even before the last two bombings.

I must admit, if we do call there after the airport bombing, I won't be getting off...

We are scheduled in nov to stop in istanbul on the pacific princess for two days.I don't understand princess's logic for a city that has had two major bombings in the last year.

It looks like someone in the executive offices needs a good kick in the backside.

long cruiser

We are scheduled in nov to stop in istanbul on the pacific princess for two days.I don't understand princess's logic for a city that has had two major bombings in the last year.

It looks like someone in the executive offices needs a good kick in the backside.

long cruiser

Just wondering, and not trying to be a smart guy ... but would you also not travel to Orlando, Florida ... or Brussels ... or Paris. As travelers, and as awful as these events are, we can't let these things paralyze us! Be cautious ... yes!! Be paranoid about traveling ... no!!

Just wondering, and not trying to be a smart guy ... but would you also not travel to Orlando, Florida ... or Brussels ... or Paris. As travelers, and as awful as these events are, we can't let these things paralyze us! Be cautious ... yes!! Be paranoid about traveling ... no!!

Orlando (very tragic and very sad) is a different situation. There, the lunatic was targeting a certain segment of the population. It was not a tourist-centric attack. It was an attack on a specific gay club the shooter had connections with. All of these incidents are horrific but I don't view an attack on travelers/tourists at Turkey's airport (and the frequent incidents in Turkey) as the same as a targeted attack against a specific (non-tourist) nightclub.

The US State Department has now issued a TRAVEL WARNING to Turkey meaning Americans should not go at all regardless. There have been 6 terror attacks this year in Turkey and it just isn't ISIS. There is a Kurdish separatist group that also uses same type tactics.

I live in Florida and was in WDW right after the Pulse attack (along with the gator) incident and it was virtually dead given the time of year. So yes there are intelligent people out there who are heeding the warnings and those who are just scared.

Bottom line is it is only a matter of time before there will be a terrorist incident involving cruise ship tours or passengers. The cruise companies need to stay out of these dangerous ports of call.

Two years ago I began making plans for a family cruise that included the two Turkish ports for July of 2016. Upon learning of my plans, my wife informed me that she would be very uncomfortable traveling to Turkey. I urged her that Turkey would be just fine. (Two summers ago, things were much different than they are now.) But she was adamant, so I put the plan on hold hoping to be able to go at some later date. Well, it's a good thing I did because if we were getting ready to depart for the cruise I had picked out, she would be going crazy right now. Me too, I suppose. I would not want to be in Istanbul two weeks from now. Probably a moot point as I don't see any way that Princess will stick to its current itinerary with the State Dept. warning being what it is.

State Department also has a warning for all of Europe. Would this stop me going probably not though we tend to be a little more careful. The world has

changed and if you are going to travel or go to your local shopping area, you

now are at risk.

We were on her first stop there of the season in May 2016.....Kudasi and Istanbul were two our favorite stops on our 31 day Royal cruise....we are hoping to go back...I do find it ironic that Princess is willing to go to Istanbul but not Acapulco??

The US State Department has now issued a TRAVEL WARNING to Turkey meaning Americans should not go at all regardless. There have been 6 terror attacks this year in Turkey and it just isn't ISIS. There is a Kurdish separatist group that also uses same type tactics.

I live in Florida and was in WDW right after the Pulse attack (along with the gator) incident and it was virtually dead given the time of year. So yes there are intelligent people out there who are heeding the warnings and those who are just scared.

Bottom line is it is only a matter of time before there will be a terrorist incident involving cruise ship tours or passengers. The cruise companies need to stay out of these dangerous ports of call.

Actually there has been a travel warning since March. It is the same one but they moved it up.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/turkey-travel-warning.html

State Department also has a warning for all of Europe. Would this stop me going probably not though we tend to be a little more careful. The world has

changed and if you are going to travel or go to your local shopping area, you

now are at risk.

Europe travel alert but it is not a "warning."

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/europe-travel-alert.html

Edited by RoadTripFanatic

The US State Department has now issued a TRAVEL WARNING to Turkey meaning Americans should not go at all regardless.

Interesting, looking at the travel warning I'm trying to see where it says Americans should not go at all to Turkey.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/turkey-travel-warning.html

It does state: U.S. citizens are reminded to review personal security plans and remain vigilant at all times, which should be the norm wherever you travel.

Or are you saying that a travel warning in general means Americans should not travel there. That would mean no going to Mexico, The Philippines, or Europe as well as they all have travel warnings (technically Europe is an alert, not a warning)

There really isn't a major city in the world that the terrorists can't hit. Mass killings by the insane are the threats that terrorists use to instill fear. If we sit at home out of fear, then they accomplish their goals.

It is unfortunate that people will fear visiting Turkey at this time, but you have to weigh what's in your best interest. If you will be on edge for the duration of your visit, then it will not be the pleasurable experience you paid for.

If we were scheduled for a cruise in this region and Princess held to its itinerary, we would change our plans.

Visiting a city experiencing a sustained series of terror attacks makes absolutely no sense. Istanbul is NOT the same as Paris or other cities around the world right now. I am hoping Princess cancels our stops in Turkey this fall (sailing on Royal). If not, we are staying on the ship. I wish people would quit saying "I hope you get the chance to see Istanbul", etc. At the moment, it's not safe. I'm sure it will be again, but scattered examples of "we had no problem and felt safe" are meaningless when talking about a city that is becoming more like a war zone. Seriously.

Where on this list do you find a "Warning" for "all of Europe"?

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings.html

There was a Worldwide Caution issued on March 3 which is still in effect. The June 27 revised Travel Warning for Turkey specifically stated "to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey" which is something I would not have considered before.

The portion of the March 3 caution for Europe:

"EUROPE: Credible information indicates terrorist groups such as ISIL and al-Qa’ida and its affiliates continue to plot near-term attacks in Europe. All European countries remain vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations.

European authorities continue to warn of the possibility of attacks conducted by lone individuals inspired by extremist organizations that could occur with little to no warning. Extremists have targeted large sporting events, theatres, open markets, aviation services, transportation systems, and public venues where people congregate. Authorities believe there is a high likelihood terror attacks in Europe will continue as European members of ISIL return from Syria and Iraq. European governments are taking action to guard against terrorist attacks; however, all European countries remain potentially vulnerable."

This is the revised travel warning for Turkey issued on Monday:

"Foreign and U.S. tourists have been explicitly targeted by international and indigenous terrorist organizations. As stated in the Worldwide Caution dated March 3, 2016, throughout Europe extremists have targeted large sporting events, theatres, open markets, aviation services, transportation systems, and public venues where people congregate as well as religious sites and high-profile events. U.S. citizens are reminded to review personal security plans and remain vigilant at all times. U.S. Government personnel in Turkey remain subject to travel restrictions in the southeastern provinces of Hatay, Kilis, Gaziantep, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Diyarbakir, Van, Siirt, Mus, Mardin, Batman, Bingol, Tunceli, Hakkari, Bitlis, and Elazig. U.S. citizens should avoid areas in close proximity to the Syrian border.

The Department of State extended its March 29, 2016 ordered departure of family members of U.S. Government personnel posted to the U.S. Consulate in Adana and family members of U.S. Government civilians in Izmir province through July 26, 2016. The Department of State terminated its March 29, 2016 ordered departure declaration for Mugla province. The U.S. Consulate in Adana remains open and will continue to provide all routine consular services.

For your safety:

• Avoid travel to southeastern Turkey, particularly near the Syrian border.
  • Stay away from large crowds, including at popular tourist destinations.
  • Exercise heightened vigilance and caution when visiting public access areas, especially those heavily frequented by tourists.
  • Stay away from political gatherings and rallies.
  • Follow the instructions of local authorities in an emergency.
  • Stay at hotels with identifiable security measures in place.
  • Monitor local media."

Edited by IECalCruiser

Interesting, looking at the travel warning I'm trying to see where it says Americans should not go at all to Turkey.

It does state: U.S. citizens are reminded to review personal security plans and remain vigilant at all times, which should be the norm wherever you travel.

Or are you saying that a travel warning in general means Americans should not travel there. That would mean no going to Mexico, The Philippines, or Europe as well as they all have travel warnings (technically Europe is an alert, not a warning)

Read what constitutes a WARNING, ALL THE PLACES TOURISTS WOULD NORMALLY VISIT, especially in a Muslim country. Unless of course one wants to be blown to bits, then by all means go regardless of what your own government is telling you. You might as well go to Syria too so your trip can be extended indefinitely. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We are sailing on the Royal in three weeks time and I have to say I am not overjoyed at the thought of stopping in Turkey, the ship is only stopping in Kusadasi but I just don't feel as though I want to get off in that port and I will be quite happy when we leave.

Ideally I would like to see the port of call cancelled but I somehow can't see Princess doing that.

Avoiding Istanbul is a completely retrospective way of responding to the attack. IMHO, if there is another similar attack, it is far more likely to be somewhere else than in Istanbul. Moreover, the airport at Istanbul actually had very good security; that is why the attackers never got inside the main terminal building. The carnage might have been much worse if a similar attack had occurred in any major airport in the United States since US security is entirely inside the terminal and almost anyone can enter the non-secured parts of US terminal buildings.

Edited by actuarian