Royal in Istanbul

royal65

Just wondering did you do tours in Kusadasi & Istanbul & if so could you please let me know who with and were they good we are hoping to be able to stop there in Sept this year Thanks

Used Ephesus shuttle in Kusadasi and I highly recommend them. They also do Istanbul but to keep DW happy we did our only ships tour while there. Also had some OBC to use up. It was okay but typical large crowd and poor lunch.

We also used Ephesus shuttle -from Kusadasi - the tour guide was fantastic.

IN Istanbul, it is so easy to just DIY - hop on the tram and get off at Sultanahmet for all the major sites.

We are on the Royal next month - we'll see what Princess decides to do about stopping in Istanbul.

eclue:rolleyes:

We - my sister (virginiavacationer), husband, and I - are currently signed up for a Princess excursion in Istanbul given the current circumstances there, assuming that we stop there. Royal is next scheduled to call at Instabul on July 28, so that might give some indication for us in August.

With a coup currently underway in Turkey I hope Princess (or any other line) doesn't have any ships there. Prayers that everyone is safe.

I too hope everyone is safe. But you can't say this wasn't predicted.

Hopefully it stays as peaceful as possible and the impact is mild on the citizens lives. With that being said I am not sure how Princess can keep Turkey as a viable port at this point. If a coup is happening and does take hold it will surely not be a stable place in the near to mid future. If the coup is squashed how long until the next one and does that then create a third group in the country that would be planning attacks.

Hopefully things work out for the best. It seems like the actions of the president over the last few years has really been pushing for this to occur.

The Royal did stop in Istanbul on 06/09. Looks like she is scheduled to make four more stops on 7/7, 7/28, 8/25 and 9/15.

Doubtful Royal will be stopping in Istanbul,with the military coup happening now.

Turkey's President:

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is in hiding and seeking asylum in Germany.

Curious, where did you hear this? I believe he was out of the country on vacation. At least he was not in Ankara or Istanbul. this is a quickly changing story.

Curious, where did you hear this? I believe he was out of the country on vacation. At least he was not in Ankara or Istanbul. this is a quickly changing story.

Fox news......

Not really in hiding.

He is in the south of the country on vacation and they (military) are trying to seal off that seaport.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

This is a fluid situation & there is always misinformation that gets reported particularly in the early stages of any situation.

I'm not going to post reports which too often prove to be inaccurate & speculative but I'm watching newscasts to monitor the current situation. My thoughts & prayers are for the Turkish people who are dealing with this situation & for their safety and a peaceful solution.

I'm certainly not an expert on Turkish politics which is probably the same thing for most of us on CC. Passengers on a cruise ship are merely missing ports of call while they're safely enjoying a cruise...unlike the Turkish citizens. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

This is a fluid situation & there is always misinformation that gets reported particularly in the early stages of any situation.

I'm not going to post reports which too often prove to be inaccurate & speculative but I'm watching newscasts to monitor the current situation. My thoughts & prayers are for the Turkish people who are dealing with this situation & for their safety and a peaceful solution.

I'm certainly not an expert on Turkish politics which is probably the same thing for most of us on CC. Passengers on a cruise ship are merely missing ports of call while they're safely enjoying a cruise...unlike the Turkish citizens. :(

I agree. Not posting any more updates as it is so fluid.

I would hate to be stuck at the airport or in the city for that matter with this going on.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Just received an email from Princess - Istanbul port call on 28 July changed to Rhodes but two port calls to Kusadasi on 27 July and 1 Aug remain for the moment.

So glad they have rerouted us.... maybe they will have no choice to change kusadasi as well we will see

We were there on her last stop which happened to be the day after the bombing of the police van. Had no issues what so ever. Yes, there were people who chose to stay on board. Their loss. The people greeted us warmly and sincerely thanked us for coming. Loved it!

Yes we were on that same Cruise in June and soon glad that we went off the Royal that day - Fantastic time and as you say greeted very warmly and kindly top excellent Port - Ditto to Kusadasi too absolutely loved it there:)

Hopefully no one has any upcoming flights to or from the US and Turkey.

The agency issued a notice saying it was prohibiting all U.S. commercial and private aircraft from operating into or out of any airport in Turkey.

"The FAA is monitoring the situation in Turkey in coordination with our partners in the State Department and the Department of Homeland Security and will update the restrictions as the situation evolves," the FAA said in a statement.

It was just announced on all of the major news sources that the FAA has halted ALL flights to and from Turkey. I am assuming that means from places also other than Istanbul....They issued directions for Americans in Turkey to contact their airline to see about a departure other than air.

It was just announced on all of the major news sources that the FAA has halted ALL flights to and from Turkey. I am assuming that means from places also other than Istanbul....They issued directions for Americans in Turkey to contact their airline to see about a departure other than air.

CC: News

"UPDATE: Cruise Lines Eye Turkey Calls, Cancel Port Stops

July 15, 2016

Princess Cruises: Princess Cruises has made no changes to its itineraries. In a statement, the line said: "The safety and security of our guests and crew is our highest priority and our security department, staffed with former military, intelligence and law enforcement professionals, maintains close contact with governmental authorities, local law enforcement agencies and private sources for security assessments and information and continues to monitor alerts worldwide. We will advise guests and our travel consultant partners should the need arise to make changes to any of our published itineraries."

Long vacation at Cruise Critic or Princess?:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused:

Hopefully no one has any upcoming flights to or from the US and Turkey.

The agency issued a notice saying it was prohibiting all U.S. commercial and private aircraft from operating into or out of any airport in Turkey.

"The FAA is monitoring the situation in Turkey in coordination with our partners in the State Department and the Department of Homeland Security and will update the restrictions as the situation evolves," the FAA said in a statement.

Only applies to USA airlines. Airlines of other countries (including Turkey) can still fly there to/from USA if they already do.

CC: News

"UPDATE: Cruise Lines Eye Turkey Calls, Cancel Port Stops

July 15, 2016

Princess Cruises: Princess Cruises has made no changes to its itineraries. In a statement, the line said: "The safety and security of our guests and crew is our highest priority and our security department, staffed with former military, intelligence and law enforcement professionals, maintains close contact with governmental authorities, local law enforcement agencies and private sources for security assessments and information and continues to monitor alerts worldwide. We will advise guests and our travel consultant partners should the need arise to make changes to any of our published itineraries.

I'm quite confused by this. Of course Princess has made changes to its itineraries. Passengers have posted here about being notified by Princess.

I'm quite confused by this. Of course Princess has made changes to its itineraries. Passengers have posted here about being notified by Princess.

Passengers already advised by Princess that their stop has been changed to Rhodes.