Essentials for 3 & 4 year old children on Indy

Would appreciate some tips for travelling with children, it's our first family cruise with two young boys...what are the must haves/recommended things you'd take?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lol!! I'm sure they're kidding! Bring any and all potential pediatric meds. that you use or MIGHT use....the ship carries NOTHING (medication-wise) for kids! Ear drops, fever reducer, kid's decongestant, anti hisitmine, tummy ache meds, etc....

Bring their favorite blanket or stuffed toy.

Plenty of sunscreen!

I would also recommend a balcony cabin, so you and spouse have someplace "to be" while the kids are napping or down early for the night!

Thanks we have a fo room at front of ship, with a curtain over some bunk beds, and taking both set of grandparents too -both of who have balcony rooms ;-)

We brought pull-ups for our 4 year old to use at night. He's trained through the night but I didn't want him to wet on the bedding or have to worry about hopping up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

He didn't need it until the last night when he was just wiped out from all of the activity that week. He didn't nap well during the days. Just too excited.

I also recommend a small amount of snacks to keep in the cabin and bring ashore if you want on excursions. I normally bring some apple sauce pouches and some goldfish for my 17 month old and 5 year old.

Hi,

"Goldfish" to me are something that swims, do you bring fish with you on a cruise?

Pete

Some relatives at home who want to spend the week with your kids while you take a vacation without them, hahaha! I kid, I kid. Oh how miserable that seems once your own children pass that stage, of course we all have to do it at some point, and it never seems as miserable when you're doing it as it seems once you're a few years out of that stage and getting to take a deep breath and finally relax again.

All kidding aside, bring umbrella strollers. They'll be really necessary for hot or tired kids who are slowing you down or falling asleep while you're out exploring. They also fold up small and are easily transportable. Having one when I cruised with my 3 year old was my #1 favorite item, even more important than my swimsuit!

Hi,

"Goldfish" to me are something that swims, do you bring fish with you on a cruise?

Pete

Small crackers shaped like fish. Originally cheese flavored but now come in pretzel and other flavored. Toddlers love them.

Thanks we have a fo room at front of ship, with a curtain over some bunk beds, and taking both set of grandparents too -both of who have balcony rooms ;-)

We have also sailed with toddler grandsons in those FOV....the curtained off extra sleeping room worked out great !!! We have done it twice with them on Radiance and both times they had cabin #8500.

Would appreciate some tips for travelling with children, it's our first family cruise with two young boys...what are the must haves/recommended things you'd take?

Not sure where you are cruising, but if to the Caribbean and planning beach time I would recommend water shoes - can double as sandals to walk around in but great for the beach/sea as far as sand, stepping on rocks, etc. they can be washed off so easily. Also lots of sunscreen.

Lots of toys.

We pack 1 or 2 carry-on size bags full of small books and small toys -- mainly for dinners where their attention span can be put to the test. We bring several small favorite toys plus a few new ones from the dollar store that are easily donated later.

We bring the bag with us and just keep bringing new ones out as they get bored with others.

We also put the "No videos/TV at dinner" rule on vacation as well and if it keeps them happy, videos are okay with us.

Hi,

Pete

Small crackers shaped like fish. Originally cheese flavored but now come in pretzel and other flavored. Toddlers love them.

prdLarge_120538.jpgfish_crackers.jpg

Umbrella stroller was a lifesaver, and a foldable potty seat in case the ship potty is too big.

The dollar stores also have little activity packs with stickers and crayons for keeping them occupied at dinner.

I also brought ziplock baggies for sealing up stinky diapers in the cabin bathroom. It's close quarters and can get rather, um, aromatic in there.

Enjoy the Splash Zone on the Indy, it's fantastic and there are lounge chairs in the shade right in front of it.

Thanks guys all useful stuff, especially the snacks. We have room 7500 on Indy, sailing around the med this Saturday.have a baby jogger buggy that folds in half and a buggy board for tired legs! Small toys needed.

Do you know if the ship has a little step for the bathroom for the kids to reach the sink etc. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, the cabins are tiny. Ask your steward, they may have a solution.

Additional tips: a few long sleeve shirts or rash guards to protect against the sun, hats, sunglasses, spf 50 suntan lotion.

Hi Gerif and Merion,

Thanks for the info they are called something else over here but can't remember what, when I Googled "goldfish" all I got was tropical fish!

Pete

If they are old enough for the kids programs, bring them the first night. My kids have gone through all the stages until aging out of the teen program and had a blast. The camp counselors are great. My kids didn't even want yo go to dinner but wanted to hurry back to kids camp