'Celebrity Cruises Wants To Hear From You' Survey

downsmead

It's clear that if someone answers in the "wrong" way they are dumped from the survey... Not surprising... When someone makes a survey the questions are made so the answers will be "right".

They can then go on with whatever changes they like, they have a survey to back them up.

That's what seems to be happening.

As I said on another thread about this - it might have been more productive to have spent whatever this survey is costing them on enhancing the sparse entertainment on the ships.

For those whose survey ended after they entered their age or income, I don't think you should assume that your opinion doesn't matter. It's likely that Celebrity feels they appeal to your demographic already. They are probably trying to learn how they can appeal to a broader group.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's also possible that they have set maximum numbers for each category. Once that maximum has been reached then anyone in that category is no longer needed for the survey.

I for one am much more interested in the questions rather than who did or didn't get a survey. I am interested especially in those dealing with what sounds like a movement towards what Royal Caribbean calls Dynamic Dining (DD).

If this is what they are trending towards, why don't they just say it and do away with X and merge them into one big new line?? Royal X Cruise lines perhaps?

All they have to do with the new "Edge" builds, if they are designed with eight or so smaller dining venues, like the current RC ships with DD, is to add a rock wall and a 30 foot lemon yellow Hippo or something like it to the upper deck and voila!

No I didn't get a survey, and don't care, even with a total of over 21 cruises on Celebrity and RCCL combined. I also never got or ever heard or read about anyone ever getting a survey asking about the RC change to DD on their new builds, although they claim to have made the decision after exhaustive research??

Pardon my cynicism but the questions that I have seen seem to indicate a big change...

OMO

bosco

I for one am much more interested in the questions rather than who did or didn't get a survey. I am interested especially in those dealing with what sounds like a movement towards what Royal Caribbean calls Dynamic Dining (DD).

Maybe then, they should just phone up RCCL - I mean they are in the same building and ask how many people do not like Dynamic Dining. So many complained after Quantum that when Anthem came out they had to add Dynamic Dining Classic (which would sort of mimic traditional dining - set times, same waitstaff, same tablemates) and they were even thinking of going back to regular dining on Anthem and totally doing away with Dynamic Dining.

... :confused:? Who is going to tell an outside agency such as a cruise line their actual true income, if any (remember this is not an anonymous survey as they are canvassing particular current pax)? Would you?

Of course. I have nothing to hide with respect to my income. I have never understood those who are so protective about this particular bit of information. But then my entire career was in jobs where my income was a matter of public record...

Do people give misinformation on surveys? Of course. I have used surveys as a research tool, and I have served as an advisor to others who use surveys, advice on construction and on interpretation of results. Yes, people do lie on surveys. Sometimes because they are ashamed of telling the truth (often an issue in post-election surveys), sometimes because they have a mean streak and want to mess with the pollster, sometimes when they think they are telling the truth and are so used to misrepresenting themselves that they give wrong answers that they think are correct. (E.g., the person who has misrepresented their age for so long that they no longer remember how old they are and wouldn't admit it if they did remember.) If the one doing the survey understands how to use the tool, then these issues are understood and accounted for.

As to why collect demographic information at all? Suppose the preliminary results from informal questions, small-scale surveys, one or two focus groups all shows a big split with 1/2 of passengers insisting on flexible dining hours in the MDR, 1/4 insisting on traditional fixed dining in the MDR, and 1/4 insisting on the multiple-restaurant, make your reservations and do your own thing. To better understand these disparate attitudes, if might really help to know more about the passengers' age, income, and any other factor that had previously been shown to correlate with various attitudes an preferences.

As to why collect demographic information at all? Suppose the preliminary results from informal questions, small-scale surveys, one or two focus groups all shows a big split with 1/2 of passengers insisting on flexible dining hours in the MDR, 1/4 insisting on traditional fixed dining in the MDR, and 1/4 insisting on the multiple-restaurant, make your reservations and do your own thing. To better understand these disparate attitudes, if might really help to know more about the passengers' age, income, and any other factor that had previously been shown to correlate with various attitudes an preferences.

But as Host Andy stated above, there are ways of doing this without alienating your current clients. How many posts on here have been from pax expressing their distaste at the way they were blatantly dismissed? 'You're views are not important to us' - not a nice feeling from a company supposedly offering 'Modern Luxury' ;).

But as Host Andy stated above, there are ways of doing this without alienating your current clients. How many posts on here have been from pax expressing their distaste at the way they were blatantly dismissed? 'You're views are not important to us' - not a nice feeling from a company supposedly offering 'Modern Luxury' ;).

I agree. It makes sense to ask for the demographics, but it is foolish to terminate surveys based on demographic or other responses. Not only may it alienate people but it is also a waste of a good data collection opportunity. Even though they may only be interested e.g. in what the 25-35 crowd thinks about dining, they might find some interesting things that would challenge their preconceptions about other population segments if they bothered to continue with the questions. I knew people who were involved in developing adaptive survey technology, and their argument was always that they didn't want to waste respondents' time since the data wouldn't be used anyway. But the strategy quickly leads to the point where preconceived notions are never challenged. It becomes more about selling the survey to the paying client (Celebrity) rather than helping the client sell their product.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Maybe then, they should just phone up RCCL - I mean they are in the same building and ask how many people do not like Dynamic Dining. So many complained after Quantum that when Anthem came out they had to add Dynamic Dining Classic (which would sort of mimic traditional dining - set times, same waitstaff, same tablemates) and they were even thinking of going back to regular dining on Anthem and totally doing away with Dynamic Dining.

You would think so wouldn't you, but with the new Ovation well in the works they still show it broken up into a dozen or so smaller venues with the same choices as on the Quantum and Anthem. I can see people having to schedule reservations at what always have been smaller, more intimate or high end restaurants since our first visit to the Olympic on the Millennium, but I would just hate to see Celebrity go with any modified form of DD where the venues are so small (including the MDR) that those desiring the traditional MDR experience may be shut out.

I remember checking out the seating capacity for all the restaurants on the Quantum versus the total number of passengers and, if memory serves me, the restaurants combined would not be able to accommodate all the passengers for just an early and a late seating therefore the need for such a staggered reservation system was established. I could be wrong as that was right after the Quantum was having its initial problems with DD.

Of course I am judging this whole thing based on only one part of a survey question "would I be interested in multiple smaller MDRs with different themed menus and moving among them at will," but since the new CEO is from DD country it just raises my suspicion.

Whatever comes of this will be, and I a happy there are still a good number of X ships sailing now and for the foreseeable future with no need to over think the "Edge" class.

bosco

But as Host Andy stated above, there are ways of doing this without alienating your current clients.

Actually, I'd find it more distasteful to do it that way.

Waste my time by having me enter data that is unable to be used as it is too incomplete to be meaningless... it may not be apparent immediately, but that just results in complaints down the line about people doing surveys and then the cruise line making changes that don't accommodate their views at all.

The response above points out that it could be used - but it may also be able to afford specific insights without expansion. All that's happened then is people's time has been wasted entering data that is not used.

Edited by The_Big_M

Actually, I'd find it more distasteful to do it that way.

Waste my time by having me enter data that is unable to be used as it is too incomplete to be meaningless... it may not be apparent immediately, but that just results in complaints down the line about people doing surveys and then the cruise line making changes that don't accommodate their views at all.

The response above points out that it could be used - but it may also be able to afford specific insights without expansion. All that's happened then is people's time has been wasted entering data that is not used.

You would be unaware if it was used or not ;).

I didn't get all the way to the end as the Qualtrics software fails during the questions asking you to list in order of importance 6 aspects of cruising that most appeal- Destination, Accommodations, Bars and Nightlife etc. Even the people X hire for their surveys are computer illiterate.

Ditto - mine crashed at that point too.

Exactly! Receiving an email with the title "Celebrity Cruises wants to hear from you" gets a person excited. We all want to share our views. Getting booted immediately after answering simple demographic questions is a slap in the face. "Celebrity Cruises wants to hear from some (but probably not you!)" would have been a more adequate subject for this email.

You would be unaware if it was used or not ;).

it may not be apparent immediately, but that just results in complaints down the line about people doing surveys and then the cruise line making changes that don't accommodate their views at all.

;)

• 3 weeks later...

We finally received the much discussed survey. It arrived two days before my DH's bday if that has any relevance. I was allowed into the rarified strata of those achieving completion even though I declined answering investment income info.

I wish I had taken screen shots of the survey. They asked the same question(s) 9 different ways, really trying to winnow out answers. Dining, service (staff to passenger ratio, especially) price, entertainment, activities, perks, ports, itineraries were all included. Rather than ranking as 1st to last, they wanted only two rankings: least important and most important. Then the next screen would be a slightly different configuration. Then on to next series, etc. There was no opportunity to comment further.

I can tell you they are evaluating perks. Asked about beverage packages vs excursions, loyalty points, future cruise points, upgrades, free airport transfers, OBC, money to be spent before you board, a new car...no kidding about that last one. Perhaps others.