terrorism

dlw002

I feel this topic SHOULD NOT be discussed on an open message board.

These people who want to harm DO LURK FOR YEARS gain information from people who think "this can't happen to us" and then guess what, it does. When they look back then they see "Oh yeah, look at the message board they were on asking questions....."

I feel already too much info has been discussed.

Edited by disneygirl

If you want a general idea of ship security, google the International Ship and Port Security Code (ISPS) which applies to all ships and all ports worldwide.

Now, as to specifics of what a particular cruise line does to meet the ISPS Code, or what cruise lines in general do, you won't get any information about that, anywhere. You'll get speculation, and you'll get "those who know", but the ship's security plan is considered a "controlled document" so not even all senior officers on the ship are informed of all aspects of the plan. Basically, the Captain, Staff Captain, and Chief Security Officer are the only ones onboard who are privy to the entire plan. Others are told on a "need to know" basis.

These people who want to harm DO LURK FOR YEARS gain information from people who think "this can't happen to us" and then guess what, it does. When they look back then they see "Oh yeah, look at the message board they were on asking questions....."

Yes, asking questions. On an anonymous internet board. No one is divulging state secrets......but if they were, how would anyone know?

If you want a general idea of ship security, google the International Ship and Port Security Code (ISPS) which applies to all ships and all ports worldwide.

Now, as to specifics of what a particular cruise line does to meet the ISPS Code, or what cruise lines in general do, you won't get any information about that, anywhere. You'll get speculation, and you'll get "those who know", but the ship's security plan is considered a "controlled document" so not even all senior officers on the ship are informed of all aspects of the plan. Basically, the Captain, Staff Captain, and Chief Security Officer are the only ones onboard who are privy to the entire plan. Others are told on a "need to know" basis.

Thanks, Chengkp75, for once again being the voice of reason (and information). :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

Like what???

Like what???

Information.

Why would I repeat it again? After all of these incidents that literally keep happening almost every day now, the bad people are lurking everywhere, twitter, facebook, message boards especially!

Let's get a little realistic here people, the first poster to respond to the OP had it right. I felt the same way. Yet people started giving out little bits of info here and there.

Stop, do not give anymore information. They have their own security and that is it.

Stop, do not give anymore information. They have their own security and that is it.

Seriously: I refuse to be a part of your paranoid world and fear-mongering.

I will chat about anything I like (unless I have made a promise to someone not to reveal it). I am not going to curtail my amusements -- like these CC boards -- just because you are afraid of terrorists piecing together little bits of our experiences and imaginations. As was said: if terrorists cause us to live in fear, they've won.

Information.

Why would I repeat it again? After all of these incidents that literally keep happening almost every day now, the bad people are lurking everywhere, twitter, facebook, message boards especially!

Let's get a little realistic here people, the first poster to respond to the OP had it right. I felt the same way. Yet people started giving out little bits of info here and there.

Exactly what "little bits of information" were being given out here, other than what can be found by any google search, or simply taking a cruise to find out? Is it a state secret that baggage is x-rayed? Please, as someone who deals with maritime security all the time, nothing posted on this board, or even on any thread anywhere on social media is going to help someone bypass the provisions of the ISPS code. Can someone do it? Of course, its been shown. Was it based on things found out on CC or facebook? Not a hope. As I've said, there are probably less than 5 people on CC who even know what a ship's security plan is, let alone knowing the details of a cruise ship's security plan.

I will chat about anything I like (unless I have made a promise to someone not to reveal it). I am not going to curtail my amusements -- like these CC boards -- just because you are afraid of terrorists piecing together little bits of our experiences and imaginations. As was said: if terrorists cause us to live in fear, they've won.

I'm clicking on the imaginary Like button furiously!

Information.

Does repeating something twice make it more important information?:confused:

Seems you are the one who needs to get realistic.;)

No one is giving out any information! Chengkp, is once again, the voice of reason and knowledge. As he stated, anyone can look up the ISPS code and that's probably where those nasty, bad people would look first rather than on CC.

Security is far more advanced than 15 years ago.. Shopping centers.large crowds ,airports are much more vulnerable a cruise ship. I would hope passengers would attack and defend themselves es if anything happened.

They've won. :eek: Well maybe not; there are more of our public officials (including elected ones) coming out and saying places can't be totally secure. That, to me, is a refreshing change from the "anything for security" rhetoric prevalent for the last 15 years.

I live in Orlando. Should I never go to my office (which is literally across the street from Harry Potter World at Universal--when I open the windows I can hear the screams from the coaster), the grocery store, or out with friends? Take normal precautions. See something, say something. Nut bags be nut bags and terror can happen anywhere. If we stop living, they've won.

Threads like this make me laugh. The constant state of fear and panic some folks live in is amazing to me. :rolleyes:

Yep. Reminds me of the story "Chicken Little". "The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Look! A piece of it hit me on the head!"