Boy drowns on Anthum of the Sea

The coverage of this awful occurrence on CBS this morning was appalling. Opened with a dramatic headline : "Terror on The High Seas" or some such nonsense. Spent about 30 seconds detailing what happened and then launched into other issues Anthem has had (the storm it sailed through and a noro outbreak) as if one has anything to do with the other. Really poorly done.

Thoughts are with the family at this terrible time. As I was not there I am in no position to assign blame (but I know that does not stop some folks ;) ).

The coverage of this awful occurrence on CBS this morning was appalling. Opened with a dramatic headline : "Terror on The High Seas" or some such nonsense. Spent about 30 seconds detailing what happened and then launched into other issues Anthem has had (the storm it sailed through and a noro outbreak) as if one has anything to do with the other. Really poorly done.

Royal's PR people are doing a very poor job regarding Anthem and the NYC television stations. There was no excuse for the reports about the drowning bringing up all of the past (and completely unrelated) problems the ship has had (they even went so far as to report that several guests had norovirus on the cruise that was cut short to avoid bad weather). Maybe they need to bring them on board when the ship is in port and show them around and somehow get them to act more professionally.

Edited by MisterBill99

I don't think the child has died. He is in bad shape and on life support, but unless it just happened, he didn't die. Title of this thread is very misleading. I know it probably can't be fixed, but I wish it could. :(

Gwen :)

I don't think the child has died. He is in bad shape and on life support, but unless it just happened, he didn't die. Title of this thread is very misleading. I know it probably can't be fixed, but I wish it could. :(

That is also my understanding.

This is an horrible event and I hope these folks from the Netherlands will be able to have some positive time over here.

But what’s with these RCL pools? A frighteningly similar event happened last year. I was sailing on Prinsendam and watched “Oasis” sail before us from Ft. Lauderdale; later as I was unpacking Oasis came back to port to get a little boy to hospital who was found in a pool.

Maybe where children are allowed or encouraged to use a water facility or pool, a ship’s child minder should be on duty.

Parents like other adults can be thoughtless or irresponsible from time to time.

This is an horrible event and I hope these folks from the Netherlands will be able to have some positive time over here.

But what’s with these RCL pools? A frighteningly similar event happened last year. I was sailing on Prinsendam and watched “Oasis” sail before us from Ft. Lauderdale; later as I was unpacking Oasis came back to port to get a little boy to hospital who was found in a pool.

Maybe where children are allowed or encouraged to use a water facility or pool, a ship’s child minder should be on duty.

Parents like other adults can be thoughtless or irresponsible from time to time.

The adventure ocean staff are not lifeguards! Royal doesn't have lifeguards and parents are solely responsible for monitoring their children. When undertaking water activities everyone in a party should monitor each other, even adults can have accidents.

I feel so sorry that this has happened and feel really bad for those involved. However, it doesn't surprise me that this can happen from time to time. It is an accident and accidents happen and those involved will always wonder what could have been done to prevent it.

I am really surprised that this has not happened more often than it has. Just think of how many people and children cruise and swim on a cruise ship every day of the year, year after year. I think the cruise lines have a good record on drowning or near drowning accidents. One drowning is a tragedy, but it can happen anywhere. Let's not blame anyone until we know the whole circumstance. And possibly we will never know. Let's just pray that there will be a miracle and this little boy will come out of it with little or no lasting effects.

I feel so sorry that this has happened and feel really bad for those involved. However, it doesn't surprise me that this can happen from time to time. It is an accident and accidents happen and those involved will always wonder what could have been done to prevent it.

I am really surprised that this has not happened more often than it has. Just think of how many people and children cruise and swim on a cruise ship every day of the year, year after year. I think the cruise lines have a good record on drowning or near drowning accidents. One drowning is a tragedy, but it can happen anywhere. Let's not blame anyone until we know the whole circumstance. And possibly we will never know. Let's just pray that there will be a miracle and this little boy will come out of it with little or no lasting effects.

Well said.

I apologize ahead of time if I've missed another thread on this -- Does anyone know the status of this child? I've been away from my computer for the long weekend and would really appreciate any updates.

Thanks!

Nothing really new on the 8 years old - family members relayed their wishes for privacy via RCI - remains at SIUH inOcean Breeze section on Staten Island, NY in critical conditions. Not clear if he remains on live support/ICU at this point. Apparently, from the Maryland area and traveling with his mom and an aunt - perhaps part of a the larger group of extended family/friends (some/many of them from the Netherlands) etc. that needed 2 buses when they came off the ship. It appeared also that the child was under the water for 8 to 10 minutes, not necessary 18 minutes as intially claimed by some of the media sources in the reporting - that CPR was administered successfully.

News gathering & reporting can often be misleading and conflicting as it seemed to suggested in this case; promptly cyber armchair commentary in their rush to draw their own summations and conclusions without all the facts ... totally inappropriate & uncalled for.

http://wtop.com/national/2016/07/officials-boy-8-critical-after-found-in-cruise-ship-pool/

The child and his family remained in our thoughts & prayers over the holiday weekend as we're on the shores overlooking our resort hotel's swimming pool. Sometimes, no news is good news.

The other big thread link is gone, probably action by MODs - please note that trolls will be ignored & added to the blocked list.

There was only 1 bus. [ATTACH]389375[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is that other thing that the front of the bus pulled up to? It kind of looks like a second bus, perpendicular to the first one. I can see why some say two buses, just trying to figure out what that other thing is. Not discounting what you saw, just trying to figure it out.:)

What is that other thing that the front of the bus pulled up to? It kind of looks like a second bus, perpendicular to the first one. I can see why some say two buses, just trying to figure out what that other thing is. Not discounting what you saw, just trying to figure it out.:)

It is a covered walkway. The report of two buses came out earlier in the evening. This picture was shot from my balcony.

Edited by ARCruisinNana

It is a covered walkway.The report of two buses came out earlier in the evening. This picture was shot from my balcony.

Thanks. I was thinking maybe like a covered bus stop type structure, wasn't sure. Haven't sailed from that port yet, soon though.:D

Edit: All sorts of rumors were floating around early, unfortunately. At least some of you that were on the cruise were posting some actual, factual information here, helping to disprove a lot of the rumors. :)

Edited by reallyitsmema

There was only 1 bus. [ATTACH]389375[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Diffidently just one bus, 45 to 50 people. Most of the people had blankets and pillows, which was provided by Royal. My guess is for their comfort for the bus ride back to Maryland. It was a very sad site.

does anyone know about how this little boy is doing? I have seen no follow-ups or news reports, and I am praying things are going well

I was also thinking about him and wondering how he was doing.

For what it's worth, I am currently on the Rhapsody.

Since I have been on the ship, there has been a crew member standing on/by the hot tubs keeping a constant eye on the pools. One staff member on each side.

Also, I see that near the towel hut there are child's vest/floatation device that can be checked out.

I don't know if this is a change in procedure, don't know if all the fleet has gone this way, or what. Just sharing my observation.

First- my thoughts and prayers are with the child and the family. I hope it will turns out OK for all. But still brings out a few questions in my mind:

How any parent will let 8 years child be in the pool without supervision?

And not a single person in the pool noticed a body on the bottom of the pool?

Are the drinking packages so powerful, that they distort people's judgement and perception? I am not implying that parents of this child were drunk, but I can see how some tragedy might happened as a result of it. I was on the Anthem in April and have seen some parents so drunk that they had no idea what their kids were doing, like jumping into the pool, where clearly notice - no jumping or diving. And if, god forbid, some child dives and hit his head, who's fault that will be?

For what it's worth, I am currently on the Rhapsody.

Since I have been on the ship, there has been a crew member standing on/by the hot tubs keeping a constant eye on the pools. One staff member on each side.

Also, I see that near the towel hut there are child's vest/floatation device that can be checked out.

I don't know if this is a change in procedure, don't know if all the fleet has gone this way, or what. Just sharing my observation.

Three sizes of children's life vests were available last week on Grandeur, also by the towel station.