Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Now, see, that I'd be okay with. I would be fine with paying a couple of extra bucks to have a case of water appear in my cabin instead of having to lug it to the port. But their current pricing, honestly, is enough to make me switch cruise lines in the future, just out of spite.

I would pre-order it and have it in the cabin waiting for me if it were reasonably priced!

My guess it's a security issue like airline rules. All you getting your panties in a bunch, find another mode of vacation or suck it up. Sheesh.

Agreed! I liked bringing water on also, but you can still bring a big cup and get water, iced tea, cranberry and other juices at the buffet any time you want and the water on board is very drinkable.

In all my years of going out to restaurants, I've never seen anyone bring their own soda into an establishment. I'm a Coke drinker, but if they serve Pepsi, I either drink Pepsi or something else. I do this in restaurants and I do it on NCL.

You could be right. In our province it is against the health departments rules to bring food or drink from outside and establishment into another. I had a partially consumed can of iced tea one time and they took the time to nicely explain that it was against the government rules. One reason I do remember was related to sources of food poisoning/cross contamination. It made sense.

Excerpting from NCL's post as I cannot seem to quote it:

"To provide our guests with a smoother and faster embarkation experience, we will be implementing this updated policy effective July 15. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages."

So, it's not so much "security" as that it is taking them too long having to inspect all the drinks being brought on board. I can live with a policy requiring cans only or drinks must be checked so as not to slow security lines, but a overall ban will lose my business.

I drink nothing but water (aside from alcoholic beverages - and we have the UBP) and can tolerate NCL's tap water, I just don't like it. So, I bring a re-usable bottle and fill it at water machines which is a pain. Bottled water is much easier and I hate to say last cruise I went through at least 15 bottles because it was included in the Suite. My wife is a carbonated water junkie - it is not optional, but required, and she goes through at least a liter per day. Previous cruises we brought at least two cases in our checked luggage. I am not about to purchase this amount at NCL prices as I see it adding at least $100 for our upcoming 14 day cruise. We are not going to go to a bar each time we want water. Overall not a tremendous amount, but more an accumulation of policies offering less value in the overall product. If NCL does not make some concession for cans or add bottled waters to the UBP I consider it cause for looking elsewhere.

I came so close yesterday to booking an airfare price drop alert for my upcoming cruise. I am glad I didn't as I will now wait until my final payment gets closer to see if anything changes as otherwise I plan on cancelling and re-booking with the competition.

Edited by Boschmann

I don't bring drinks on board as ships water is fine by me and I don't like soda. But just knowing they have this policy in place with a bogus security reason really puts me off of the company especially with all the other changes they've made in past 'for our convenience' of course. I have already been on two different cruises which I enjoyed a lot. NCL won't be my first choice any more 😐

Agreed! I liked bringing water on also, but you can still bring a big cup and get water, iced tea, cranberry and other juices at the buffet any time you want and the water on board is very drinkable.

Not for everyone. I posted my experience upthread where i lost mobility in my fingers and ankles by day 4 from the water.

I emailed accessdesk@ncl.com which is supposedly the way to have medical needs addressed.

Not for everyone. I posted my experience upthread where i lost mobility in my fingers and ankles by day 4 from the water.

I emailed accessdesk@ncl.com which is supposedly the way to have medical needs addressed.

Right, there are many people are on sodium restrictions too. How will they deal with that?

I need extra sodium, so it's not an issue with me, but I swell like crazy on a ship, whereas I do not on vacations to other hot weather destinations. There is definitely a difference. I used to be on the "drink the water from the tap" side of the argument, but no longer.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

You may bring on as many bottles as you want- at $15 corkage fee a pop. I suppose we should be thankful they didn't institute a "pop top" fee for bringing soda on.

Most cruise lines let 2 on with no corkage fee. Dang this cruise line gets you every time u turn around.

Does anyone know the cost of a bottle of water? Lowest package of 6 bottles comes to a little over $4.50/bottle and that's with a 30% savings over purchasing on board. But how much if you want to take a bottle out of the mini fridge and how much for a bottle of sparkling water such as Pellegrino? Also can you get a bottle of water or Pellegrino fairly easily onboard say in one of the bars?

A cruise line probably could sell both, but their prices would go up quite a bit. They have an exclusivity contract with one of the distributors to get a lower price, just like all fast food companies, restaurants and even Disneyland.

Out of curiosity, what do people do when they go to a restaurant and they server Pepsi instead of Coke?

I'm a coke drinker hate Pepsi. I order sprite or 7up or ice tea.

Well everyone seems pretty uniformly outraged with a few exceptions. Any thoughts on how we go about voicing complaints directly to NCL? I would assume that they are far more likely to change things if we actually contact them in a coordinated way rather than just post on a forum.

Email? Phone? Pen and paper?

Edit: I assume the aim of complaining would wither be to get the policy reversed or to get them to sell water at a reasonable price.

Edited by MissJessicaB

I'm a coke drinker hate Pepsi. I order sprite or 7up or ice tea.

Same. And Sprite is a Coke product, so that doesn't help. I only like regular coke and Diet Mountain Dew, which they don't have either. So I stick to alcohol and water when cruising. :D

Actually I've been beaten to the complaints idea: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2373894

Anyone wanting to take an active role in changing things may want to head there. Numerous calm rational emails or calls is going to be the best bet at effecting any kind of change.

Edited by MissJessicaB

As far as other lines go, Carnival already has this policy in place, RCCL is expected to follow suit, its been an open question whether NCL or RCCL would go first.

Yes, part of the reason is financial, but not just for the reasons everyone is saying. Via checked or carryon backage it takes a lot of time to screen beverages. This costs money in terms of staff time, etc. Nowadays, you can buy reseal caps on Amazon for example, and its not uncommon for people to take 6 bottles out of the middle of a 24 pack, refill with vodka and reseal. Soda bottles are worse.

Now, there are a couple of ways this could have been done better. As carnival did, drop the price of bottled water to a price in line with shoreside. At $3.99 per and without the hassles of lugging it on board, that makes sense. And maybe allow 1 SEALED 12 pack of CANS (harder to tamper with) per person via carryon would be a fair compromise..

Well everyone seems pretty uniformly outraged with a few exceptions. Any thoughts on how we go about voicing complaints directly to NCL? I would assume that they are far more likely to change things if we actually contact them in a coordinated way rather than just post on a forum.

Email? Phone? Pen and paper?

Edit: I assume the aim of complaining would wither be to get the policy reversed or to get them to sell water at a reasonable price.

Yes...

The below was kindly posted by asubaru on a new thread about "Complaints".

A copy definitely belongs in this thread!

In light of the "no more soda/water allowed to be brought on", I wanted to comment about complaints.

IMO, complaining among ourselves will not do much good; yes, venting may help a bit. I donWhat happens if I bring a case of water to the ship?

Guests who bring beverages to embarkation will be directed to return the items to their vehicle. If the guest does not have a vehicle onsite, the items will be disposed of.'t believe that NCL will the read hundreds of posts about the new carry on policy. They know it won't be popular and are expecting backlash.

I am of the belief that energy/time would be better spent taking your opinions to social media and contacting NCL. Facebook, Twitter, email, and snail mail are some options. Andy Stuart has a Twitter account: AndyStuart@nclandy. NCL is on Facebook with many followers.

I have contacted the woman listed below before with some concerns. She may suggest a better contact for your complaints or questions.

One thing I don't do is embellish, dramatize, exaggerate, nor threaten to leave NCL. Threatening, IMO, is counterproductive almost as bad as cursing!

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

7665 Corporate Center Dr.

Miami, FL 33126

(305) 436-4011

vewart@ncl.com

There is a consumer advocate type website done by Christopher Elliot that has a wealth of info regarding complaints. There is even contact in for NCL. Google is your friend.

[emphasis added]

This may have already been asked and answered, but I don't wish to read through all these pages. I will be new to NCL next year. I have cruised with Carnival since 2000. I am ok with buffet water, and MDR water, but do like to have a bottle of water in my room, to sip with pills in the morning.

Can anyone tell me what Norwegian charges for a liter or so size bottle in the room? I'm not upset over this because Carnival has not allowed us to bring on bottled water since last year. Just curious what Norwegian will charge me for that liter of water in the room, or even if they do supply it. Or? do I need to purchase one from a gift shop?

Thanks

Hi All,

Since we cant bring any bottled water on our cruise with NCL effective 7/15/16 sailings.....is Bottled water now going to be included in the UBP? or is NCL going to just reduce the price of a case of water from $78.00 down to the normal $2.99 per case?

Maybe this FDR decision was started to alleviate the passengers from having to travel with or buy our own cases of water at the ports...maybe NCL is looking out for us as weary tired travelers and are happy to take this burden off of our plate...im sure there is NO financial motivation whatsoever...

They should increase there helicopter pads on the ships due to people dying of dehydration cause they dont want to pay $78.00 for a case of water...more older people will be visiting the infirmary...this is a sad day for NCL past passengers...

So helpful.

You do realize that this soda/water carry-on thing is but one cog in a giant gear of NCL policy and pricing changes recently which are driving long-time customers away?

What's missing from that list is the bloated fares compared to the competition.

I appreciate this list of shame. It is rather extensive and to use the favorite expression with regard to NCL - Nickle & Dimeing .

I do not agree with your final statement though . I don't think Norwegian fares are bloated . Frankly I'm sailing with them this month because the fares were so low when booked at the cancellation deadline date . Perhaps there were other reasons for the very very low rates but it could be that many recognize their sketchy pricing policy . Book'em on and then charge charge then change policy and charge again.

I still have some optimism that this will be reversed... but only if we speak up loudly and frequently.

I urge everyone to write to (or e-mail) this address:

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

7665 Corporate Center Dr.

Miami, FL 33126

(305) 436-4011

vewart@ncl.com

Remember, they reversed that awful decision about not being able to bring food back to your room. They might reverse this, too!

In fact, the two situations are quite similar, as both involved an attempt to stop you from enjoying food/beverages in your room, both were ill-advised money grabs, and both were trotted out under the laughable guise of "safety".

The more people that speak up, the more likely they are to reverse this policy.

I foresee too much backlash for this to stick.

The soda thing might be able to squeak through, but the water part is just going to send everyone over the deep end.

You can't outlaw bottled water and then mark it up 1000% onboard. That's not going to fly with a LOT of people.

Providing people the option of purchasing super-marked-up bottled water and drinking desalinated tap water is pretty offensive.

I honestly believe that this was a sneaky plan by Del Rio to drive away the overly-value-conscious customers from NCL, but it's going to have side effects he didn't plan for.

Del Rio likes to utilize the "throw a lot of stuff against the wall and see what sticks" policymaking style. This is infuriating, but at least it allows some of these terrible things to be reversed upon complaint.