Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

This does not surprise me, although "security" has been claimed, part of the reason. I'll speculate the massive amounts of people who have expected porters and ship staff to deliver these drinks, by putting cabin labels on the packages also is a factor. Especially with breakage and demanding people, claiming replacements.

I'm also surprised it was even allowed to begin with, you don't go into restaurants with your own drinks.

As for the "loyal" claims- ships sail full and there are thousands of travelers, a few boycotts is hardly going to make a dent. Sorry, you aren't a big factor- with one cruise/year. Even with 10, hardly a dot on the paper, if you don't return. Plenty of people to take your place.

I actually cruise several times a year. Also, Disney World allows their patrons to bring in their own beverages and food and snacks, as long as they are not in glass containers (with the exception of baby food, which can be in a glass jar) and does not require heating to consume. They make much more than NCL could ever make in a single year. As for your "plenty of people to take your place" nonsense, if a business keeps losing customers, eventually they will hit rock bottom. It is unavoidable. One person may not be a "big factor", but as a whole, they certainly can be.

Are all-you-can-drink packages on NCL worth the price if it doesn't include water?

Look at the cost of a bottle sold onboard. 5.50 + 18% :eek:

That's more than a gallon of gas,

There are a lot of things that you can spend your hard earned money on, choosing to spend that much on a bottle of water is not one of them.

I can tell you with 100% certainty I will not purchase water onboard, instead be packing a refillable, portable bottle.

I would never tell a stranger how to spend their money on vacation,

but ask yourself: Do I really need the outrageous and unnecessary bottle expense sold on NCL?

All the more reason to plan your next cruise carefully.

Which I will be doing. Back to Celebrity I go! I can say with out a doubt it is a totally superior cruise line. Just look at their beverage package and you will see why I keep repeating it.

Happy 4th!

I would never tell a stranger how to spend their money on vacation' date='

[/quote']Thank you, I would never tell anyone how to spend their money on their vacation either, even though it is so hard not to push our thoughts onto others.

Edited by NLH Arizona

If for some reason NCL wants to stop us from bringing our own soda and bottled water aboard the ships, they must use reason and not charge the passengers any more than they would pay in a supermarket.

Charging $47.00 for a 12 pack of water is highway robbery. I bought a 15 pack of 16.9fl oz, water at my local supermarket for less than $4.00. NCL should not charge more than this. The same holds true for soda.

Are all-you-can-drink packages on NCL worth the price if it doesn't include water?

Look at the cost of a bottle sold onboard. 5.50 + 18% :eek:

That's more than a gallon of gas' date='

There are a lot of things that you can spend your hard earned money on, choosing to spend that much on a bottle of water is not one of them.

I can tell you with 100% certainty I will not purchase water onboard, instead be packing a refillable, portable bottle.

I would never tell a stranger how to spend their money on vacation,

but ask yourself: Do I really need the outrageous and unnecessary bottle expense sold on NCL?

All the more reason to plan your next cruise carefully.

Which I will be doing. Back to Celebrity I go! I can say with out a doubt it is a totally superior [i']cruise[/i] line. Just look at their beverage package and you will see why I keep repeating it.

Happy 4th!

Back to Celebrity? :confused:

If you don't mind my asking, why did you leave them in the first place? (If you didn't leave, then you can't go back...)

And while we're here...I don't sail on Princess, and I don't spend any time on the Princess boards either (I mean, why would I, right?). So, being that (in your view) Celebrity is "a totally superior cruise line", why are you spending even a minute of your time on the NCL forum??

If you don't mind my asking, why did you leave them in the first place? (If you didn't leave, then you can't go back...)

And while we're here...I don't sail on Princess, and I don't spend any time on the Princess boards either (I mean, why would I, right?). So, being that (in your view) Celebrity is "a totally superior cruise line", why are you spending even a minute of your time on the NCL forum??

I never could understand that either. There are several here that do not sail NCL, but insist on posting. Of course, anyone can post - it's not an exclusive club; I just don't understand why they would.

If for some reason NCL wants to stop us from bringing our own soda and bottled water aboard the ships, they must use reason and not charge the passengers any more than they would pay in a supermarket.

Why is that? I go to the movies and they charge more for snacks and drinks than I would pay at the supermarket. I stop by the soda vending machine and I'm expected to pay more than I would at the supermarket. I go to a restaurant for a hamburger and I'm expected to pay more than they charge at the supermarket.

Given the costs for building and operating a supermarket are nowhere near the costs of building and operating a cruise ship, I don't think using a supermarket is a fair basis for comparison.

I mean, look at what I pay for Internet at home compared to on the cruise ship. Talk about an excessive mark-up....

I never could understand that either. There are several here that do not sail NCL, but insist on posting. Of course, anyone can post - it's not an exclusive club; I just don't understand why they would.
Maybe they are making a mental note warning themselves not to get sucked in by NCL ? :p

I booked NCL because they were in the MED in March and Celebrity weren't. When I phoned to cancel this morning my agent said I was his 5th call today to cancel an NCL cruise.

Dear Andy Stuart:

We are a group of eight taking our first cruise with NCL on July 24, 2016. Over the past five years we have been traveling each year and sometimes twice a year with Carnival and this year we decided to give NCL a try. So, on October 31, 2015 we booked our cruise through Costco on the Norwegian Breakaway. I am a member of Cruise Critic and quite frequently have been posting my excitement and enthusiasm of being able to vacation on the Breakaway. It has been a lot of fun to share with other’s the excitement of cruising on the Breakaway, however, recently I received the document noting the change in the beverage policy via email. I can’t express to you how much of a downer this is and it has really affected my outlook on this cruise. Being that we are a budget conscious group of eight, this has truly impacted our budget for traveling with NCL. If this policy was in effect prior to my booking it would have been a tough decision to stray away from Carnival and tryout NCL. We have exercised the ability to bring a twelve pack of our favorite beverage on board the different vessels we have sailed on with Carnival. And when Carnival implemented the ban on bottled water they also understood how this would affect families traveling on their cruise line and decided to drastically reduce the price of bottled water on board their ships ($3.99 for a 12 pack).

When I received my email of the changes to the beverage policy on NCL I was taken back by the callousness of the implantation of the new policy. This is for the following reasons:

1. There was no consideration for those who have booked prior to the announcement of the new policy.

2. There was no mention of water being deeply discounted as Carnival did when they implemented their bottled water policy.

3. There was no mention of any on board soda/juice packages being discounted as a result of this new policy.

Although, we do understand security concerns around the world for the potential threat of someone trying to carry a liquid on board with intent to do passengers harm, we can’t help but feel taken advantage of with the price of water alone not to mention soda on board that we will be forced to purchase if we desire to drink it.

Since, the announcements and emails have gone out to those of us with existing bookings on NCL and at the time of me typing this letter, there have been 954 post and 51,777 views of this topic on Cruise Critic and the numbers are steadily rising.

It is my hope that the concerns of this policy, as detailed in this letter, are taken into consideration. As well as a possible revision or change for passenger’s who have already booked prior to this policy announcement. If not, this will be our first and last cruise with NCL, because with the way this policy is being implemented we truly feel taken advantage of.

I actually cruise several times a year. Also, Disney World allows their patrons to bring in their own beverages and food and snacks, as long as they are not in glass containers (with the exception of baby food, which can be in a glass jar) and does not require heating to consume. They make much more than NCL could ever make in a single year. As for your "plenty of people to take your place" nonsense, if a business keeps losing customers, eventually they will hit rock bottom. It is unavoidable. One person may not be a "big factor", but as a whole, they certainly can be.

It's not only the lost customer, it the loss of the lost customer's recommendations to others.

You can bring it. Just have your doctor write a note for you. Email it to the access desk AND bring it with you to the port.

A member on one of my roll calls spoke with the Access dept. The Access dept had not been consulted on the new rule but was very aware of the low/no sugar, low/no caffeine requirements of many with conditions that demand the restrictions. The AD has reported the matter to senior management for an official solution. As is, no sodas and only water needed for use in conjunction with medical 'devices' and for reconstitution of baby formula will be permitted.

If anyone does receive permission to by-pass the new rules, please post.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

A member on one of my roll calls spoke with the Access dept. The Access dept had not been consulted on the new rule but was very aware of the low/no sugar, low/no caffeine requirements of many with conditions that demand the restrictions. The AD has reported the matter to senior management for an official solution. As is, no sodas and only water needed for use in conjunction with medical 'devices' and for reconstitution of baby formula will be permitted.

I have spoken to the access department, hence my response.

I find this very annoying. My husband and I typically bring a 12-pack of little water bottles that we can keep in the room fridge and use to take medication. I don't know if that will be considered a "medical need", but it will certainly be an inconvenience if we cannot bring it.

I've contacted them to see what solution is offered. At the meet and greets on BA and epic I've raised this and been told to bring my own or contact in advance to get it stocked, so I've asked if they can stock me some or advise what I need to do. My Dr wants £30 /$50 for a letter.

I can see it now, dozens of people showing up with cases of bottled water and a large can of powdered baby formula, but no infants. LOL "No sir, we don't have a baby, but you see I rather enjoy the taste of baby formula myself, so this is for my personal consumption. It's quite nutritious so I use it in my morning cereal, a little bit in my tea and coffee, and I like to dip my cookies in it for a late night snack!"

Best post on the entire thread!

I've contacted them to see what solution is offered. At the meet and greets on BA and epic I've raised this and been told to bring my own or contact in advance to get it stocked, so I've asked if they can stock me some or advise what I need to do. My Dr wants £30 /$50 for a letter.

$50!!! :eek:

I'm going on the Breakaway in a few weeks and this will be my second cruise with NCL, the first time I went a few years ago with family who brought gatorade on board...does anyone know if this or another type of sports/vitamin water type of drink is sold on board? Lots of mention of sodas and juices, but not this.

Thanks!

I'm far behind so maybe it has been answered but there are usually a machine in the fitness center with sports drinks like gatroade. I've never seen the price listed though but guess $2.50 to $4.00 range.

Thank you for your response. Sorry about the charge for a note. I have read that on some lines specific drink needs could be accommodated if enough advance notice was given. Didn't know about NCL.

Who exactly are you bleating at? Several on here including myself aren't loyal to one cruise line but choose based on itinerary, scheduling and then what line provides the best options. All things being equal those are the types of cruisers that will be turned away initially by these types of decisions. (And for the record we have an NCL cruise booked right now.)

If available (based on the scheduling), why wouldn't you choose a better (arguably) product like Celebrity for a similar if not more affordable rate? More of this and even the hardcore cheerleaders like yourself will put down the Kool Aid. Hell, you might not be able to bring the Kool Aid on board soon.

No need for you to try and talk down to every poster on here that doesn't share your worldview. But honestly please consider continuing your little tantrum posts because it's quite entertaining at your expense.

Who exactly? Seriously?

My original question contained a direct quote from another poster...it is rather obvious (unless you're totally clueless) that the person quoted is the person who was being spoken to.

Jumping in (commonly called interrupting) is rather rude and obnoxious. If a question is asked of a particular person, rather than directed to anyone, be courteous and let that person answer.

Had the troll not jumped in and directed an unwanted and unwelcome response directly to me, I would not have responded and this entire portion of the conversation would never have happened. Right?

Just like I didn't direct a question to you, but you felt it necessary to jump in and direct one at me. If you don't want to hear it...stay out of it.

FWIW...hardly a hardcore cheerleader here. Although I do appreciate the attempted insult...as though liking something is somehow wrong. :rolleyes:

My history isn't strictly with one cruise line (just like yours)...but at least I'm not spending my time on the forums of lines on which I don't sail stirring things up and causing a rukus.

Based on the numbers we're seeing, I'm guessing that its getting pretty crowed under the bridge. :rolleyes:

I'm far behind so maybe it has been answered but there are usually a machine in the fitness center with sports drinks like gatroade. I've never seen the price listed though but guess $2.50 to $4.00 range.

Based on the general tone of this thread, why on Earth would anyone buy their sports drink from such a machine? Even at the low end of $2.50, that comes out to a price of $60 per case!! :eek: Why isn't it a more reasonable cost just like I can get at my local supermarket?? :rolleyes:

So, being that (in your view) Celebrity is "a totally superior cruise line", why are you spending even a minute of your time on the NCL forum??

First let's get this straight, I never said I left Celebrity.

Secondly, I cruise on all lines, not loyal to one particular line or ship.

If the price is right, itinerary, & timing of the cruise or sailing with a bunch of good friends, I have no problems booking it. Like my NCL on the Breakaway coming up in Nov.

What I don't like is the fact that NCL over inflates the water bottles sold on their ships instead of including it in the UBP. Celebrity who offers it in their beverage package without charge gratuities. Not a bad deal wouldn't you say??!!?? ;);)