Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Yes, I have to say that the SeaShark is rather astute in those observations...sadly. However, I do like the idea of the GatorAde and loss of UBP - that made me smile!

It's true (I assume): here we all are getting all excited over this topic, but apart from blowing off steam (and occasionally sniping at fellow passengers) is it really doing any good? Is CC influential enough? I doubt it.

It needs a good number of influential people to persuade NCL to do something that will help the situation from the passengers' perspective. There are too many for whom the added inconvenience or cost is fairly inconsequential and too many who can and will fill the deck shoes of those who vote by booking elsewhere in future. Playing the numbers game NCL (and others surely will always win).

Sad really...

The no-plates-shall-be-brought-to-your-room thing (which everybody almost forgotten about.. but hey we're NCL so lets start another bad PR campaign) was turned around by hefty social media, written and on board complaints. I guess it's 50/50 in pressure on NCL and the ban on carry on has yet to be implemented..

If you switch views: how many cruisers that do carry on soda and who don't know about the new policy who are forced to dump their purchases on the pier.. probably a lot, since there's almost no word out on it.

We on CC might be a small number but the carry on "problem" seemed big enough for NCL to act on it so thing are going to hit the fan mid july on piers around the world.. :)

Edited by FreestyleNovice

The no-plates-shall-be-brought-to-your-room thing (which everybody almost forgotten about.. but hey we're NCL so lets start another bad PR campaign) was turned around by hefty social media, written and on board complaints. I guess it's 50/50 in pressure on NCL and the ban on carry on has yet to be implemented..

If you switch views: how many cruisers that do carry on soda and who don't know about the new policy who are forced to dump their purchases on the pier.. probably a lot, since there's almost no word out on it.

We on CC might be a small number but the carry on "problem" seemed big enough for NCL to act on it so thing are going to hit the fan mid july on piers around the world.. :)

I certainly hope so! :D It would be nice to think that enough passengers stamp their collective feet to make a difference.

Mind you, we did receive 4 emails from NCL on the subject - are we in a minority in getting advance warning?

THat's if they can persuade the local security to implement the policy

Southampton don't care what you take on booze or soda or water(they don't like knives),

currently no NCL ships use UK ports but the other European ports also do screening with local security.

Will BCN(another port that lest everything through) local security want the hassle and abuse from passengers I don't think so.

The BCN post security shop would also lose a lot of business....

I suspect this may become a US only policy.

Is CC influential enough? I doubt it.

The evidence from a number of turnarounds by cruise lines is that other social media are far more effective at change than CC

is

The visibility and reach is far more widespread and much more international

CC is still very US centric.

I certainly hope so! :D It would be nice to think that enough passengers stamp their collective feet to make a difference.

Mind you, we did receive 4 emails from NCL on the subject - are we in a minority in getting advance warning?

We sail in a couple of weeks time on the Epic, we've all received emails.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I can't help but think that probably more than half the passengers had no clue you could even carry anything on in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We cruised many times before I wandered in to Cruise Critic. It would not have entered my mind ever to bring my own beverages on to a cruise ship. The only exception was the "baby water" I carried on for one of my baby's formula, and that was on Disney.

When soon- embarking passengers get the email, they may well be surprised that it had, indeed , been an option. How many times has the question been asked here on CC when it was clearly stated on the website that you could bring water/soda? Many of the questions asked on cc can be found on the cruise line's websites , as new posters are frequently reminded by the kings and queens of Cruise Critic .😜

I still have not received my email. Past final.

Good point . Even if there is no great uproar about this change today , there will more impact when this new policy is actually in place .

A good deal of the recent comments here, especially by the "I love NCL , get over it crowd " have been about how very limited CC's influence is . You may be correct especially just by itself . So ? What is your point ? Does that make it right . If we disagree we shouldn't comment on it ?

Originally Posted by LMaxwell viewpost.gif

The retail rate of UBP is already $79 per day plus 18%. Other cruise lines include bottle water and specialty coffee at a lower price. How much would you propose an "affordable option" be to add these items on? Many think they should be included already.

^^^^Now here is a point I can agree on include specialty coffee and bottled water with the UBP, I love a mocha in the mornings :) ^^^^^

Not being able to bring bottled water on-board yea that stinks.

Soda Meh not that big of a deal for me.

Bottom line for us, based on amount of canned soft drink my wife consumes on a 7 day cruise, cruise cost will increase $84. I guess either accept it as the increased cost of cruising....or figure that difference is no longer worth the value of cruising. It's happened.

Thanks for the info.

Puts a new spin on the whole situation. Of course NCL looks bad whether reported on CC or in national media (and since it is USA Today, the story will likely be run by the over 100 Gannett papers in the US) and reach something like 8 million daily readers.

So, the big question is, who makes these boneheaded (and pax unfriendly) decisions....

Well, maybe now Customer Service will get the other lines' policies correct if they see it there. :p

(They called me Friday based on my e-mail and had the policies for this incorrect. I pointed it out to them; but, nice to see USA Today has done so as well.) :D

I do not drink Coke, Pepsi or other sodas so am not affected by this decision. I understand people have their favourite brands and like to keep drinking them rather than having to make do with another brand. So I am not getting into discussion on that.

But water is necessary for health reasons. Many state that the water on board is fine, and probably just as many do not enjoy some side affects they suffer when drinking ship's water. I saw a documentary recently set on a P&O cruise ship and they showed the processing plant for the tap water and the checks made regularly to ensure the correct formulae is used and that the product is safe. But it is a manual process and open to fluctuations, so presumably the finished product can vary.

If bottled water can be taken on board for mixing with baby milk formulae, surely this is admitting that it is actually not a particularly good, healthy water that their process creates - or am I not understanding this?

In the past, I've bought an expensive big bottle of water from the ship to take with me on an excursion. I ended up not being thirsty at all that day and I brought back the full bottle of water with me on the ship, which I drank the following day. This new policy makes it so that I would have had to throw away that very expensive bottle of water, because I would not have been able to bring it back onboard, even though it was where I bought it in the first place.

As others have said, most passengers don't even know that you were allowed to bring your own drinks on embarkation day. But most passengers do bring back their daily unused drinks on the ship after visiting a port. That is where **** will hit the fan if you ask me. You'll start to see angry passengers refusing to give up the bottles of water they were saving for the next port.

I'm really disappointed by this move from NCL.

I don't even drink bottled water on board, but I like to bring some for port days, so that I can carry it off the ship with me.

This won't cause me to stop sailing with NCL, but the pettiness of it will stick with me and make me less likely to purchase anything extra while on board.

I wish the article would have touched base on how expensive water is on-board and that when Carnival enacted a similar ban it at least lowered the price to a more reasonable level. I think that's the biggest problem. Yes Coke lovers won't be able to their drinks on board - but the inability to buy a cheap bottle of water is the bigger problem.

This is terrible for NCL. If I were a person who had never cruised before and read this article citing security reasons for not letting people bring their own water, I'm not sure I would ever consider cruising. Then, to top it off, having the opportunity to look at all those beautiful pictures of the staterooms, the spa and the ship I can see why this is such a terrible article for NCL.

Come on folks, this article is one that I'm sure NCL is very happy with. Minimal downside, huge upside and free.

Here is the part they missed and why I'm so irritated by this-- the prices of water onboard are insane!! For a few extra dollars, I would gladly save the hassle (as I'm doing this week with princess), but this is A LOT of extra $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I have to say that the SeaShark is rather astute in those observations...sadly. However, I do like the idea of the GatorAde and loss of UBP - that made me smile!

It's true (I assume): here we all are getting all excited over this topic, but apart from blowing off steam (and occasionally sniping at fellow passengers) is it really doing any good? Is CC influential enough? I doubt it.

It needs a good number of influential people to persuade NCL to do something that will help the situation from the passengers' perspective. There are too many for whom the added inconvenience or cost is fairly inconsequential and too many who can and will fill the deck shoes of those who vote by booking elsewhere in future. Playing the numbers game NCL (and others surely will always win).

Sad really...

I agree and I think you've pretty much nailed it.

I found an article on Wikipedia about it. Here is the first part, if anyone wants more they can read the whole thing on Wikipedia.

False-consensus effect

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In psychology, the false-consensus effect or false-consensus bias is an attributional type of cognitive bias whereby people tend to overestimate the extent to which their opinions, beliefs, preferences, values, and habits are normal and typical of those of others (i.e., that others also think the same way that they do). This cognitive bias tends to lead to the perception of a consensus that does not exist, a "false consensus".

This false consensus is significant because it increases self-esteem (overconfidence effect). It is derived from a desire to conform and be liked by others in a social environment. This bias is especially prevalent in group settings where one thinks the collective opinion of their own group matches that of the larger population. Since the members of a group reach a consensus and rarely encounter those who dispute it, they tend to believe that everybody thinks the same way. The false-consensus effect is not restricted to cases where people believe that their values are shared by the majority, but it still manifests as an overestimate of the extent of their belief. For example, fundamentalists do not necessarily believe that the majority of people share their views, but their estimates of the number of people who share their point of view will tend to exceed the actual number.

Additionally, when confronted with evidence that a consensus does not exist, people often assume that those who do not agree with them are defective in some way. There is no single cause for this cognitive bias; the availability heuristic, self-serving bias, and naïve realism have been suggested as at least partial underlying factors. Maintenance of this cognitive bias may be related to the tendency to make decisions with relatively little information. When faced with uncertainty and a limited sample from which to make decisions, people often "project" themselves onto the situation. When this personal knowledge is used as input to make generalizations, it often results in the false sense of being part of the majority.

The false-consensus effect can be contrasted with pluralistic ignorance, an error in which people privately disapprove but publicly support what seems to be the majority view (regarding a norm or belief), when the majority in fact shares their (private) disapproval. While the false-consensus effect leads people to wrongly believe that the majority agrees with them (when the majority, in fact, openly disagrees with them), the pluralistic ignorance effect leads people to wrongly believe that they disagree with the majority (when the majority, in fact, covertly agrees with them). Pluralistic ignorance might, for example, lead a student to engage in binge drinking because of the mistaken belief that most other students approve of it, while in reality most other students disapprove, but behave in the same way because they share the same mistaken (but collectively self-sustaining) belief. In a parallel example of the false-consensus effect, a student who likes binge drinking would believe that a majority also likes it, while in reality most others dislike it and openly say so.

Sorry, I haven't really been reading the last 2-3 hundred posts but has anyone posted how much the fee will be for bringing on a case of soda or water?

(Wanna bring your own, PAY up?!! as in want room service? pay for it!!)

No fee (yet). The wine corkage fee is about the only charge NCL have not raised yet - could you have pre-empted their cunning plan?;)

Cause outcry.

backtrack slightly by charging corkage on water/soda.

put wine corkage up at the same time.

No fee (yet). The wine corkage fee is about the only charge NCL have not raised yet - could you have pre-empted their cunning plan?;)

Cause outcry.

backtrack slightly by charging corkage on water/soda.

put wine corkage up at the same time.

Ah ha, you got my thinking! :p Yes, was wondering how long it would be before they'd hike the corkage fee and include soda and water in it at maybe a lower/higher rate? who knows... :D

It doesn't matter to me except how they've gone about it, very disrespectful to do it without proper notice to those already booked. I feel especially sorry for families with children, it can add quite a bit to the bill.

My husband and I recently relocated to Florida and were excited to think that we were now closer to some homeports, and might be able to catch a last minute deal or two. Not only is that now not happening, but we are now going to HAVE TO get a soda package for my husband for each NCL cruise we book. Being so close to a homeport means we drive, and bringing a 12 pack of Coke Zero for my husband and a small 6-8 pack of water wasn't a big deal. We have purchased the soda card before when we fly into a homeport, so we aren't apposed to the cost per se, but this move is an example of just one more thing. It seems to always be one more thing to get more money.

So, what does this mean for us? Well, since we just used points on our NCL card and 2 cruise next certificates for our next trip, we are left with only one Cruisenext reward. AND, we will not be buying any more. I think it is time for us to experience other cruise possibilities. NCL, I was a loyal platinum cruiser who only ventured to Carnival when vacation options didn't fit with our calendar. Now.... well, we will see.................

My Coke-aholic husband is going to be veerrrry unhappy. Let's just say it will temper his excitement for any Norwegian booking.

THis is my biggest disappointment. I like bringing my Coke Zero on board. I don't drink Pepsi.

I really hope that other cruise lines don't attempt this