Senior Officers

Balaena

I see that P&O have withdraw the facility of enabling us to see who the Senior Officers are on each ship. They cite privacy as being the reason which is all well and good, however as regular passengers we buy the whole package which includes knowing who the Senior Officers are lightly to be on board. I wouldn't go to a concert without knowing who would be on stage and while I'm not suggesting they are 'artists' the knowledge that certain Senior Officers are on the ship certainly plays a part in the overall anticipation.

I actually think P&O want to divorce 'us' from those who run the ship! First there was the removal of the Senior Officer cocktail parties, the Captain's, the Chief Engineer's, the Purser's (HGM), and the Cruise Director's (EM). On some ships no indication of who the Senior Officers are by way of a photo display. Officers no longer host tables a dinner. No indication 'any longer' in the welcome aboard information sheets who the Senior Officers are apart from who the Captain is. Rarely see Senior Officers out and about around the ship.

Sadly it's becoming like a number 10 bus where the driver and the conductor have no interest other than to get you to the next stop.

Bal

I suppose there are lots of angles to this.

-They may no longer advertise the officers for security reasons.

-If shifts 'entertaining' were a paid part of the role they would perhaps need more of them to cover this responsibility, which is a cost.

-They don't actually earn huge money and perhaps having to sit with passengers hearing the same stuff cruise after cruise is really mind numbing. This may be especially so because very often highly technical people don't usually have a high preference for this sort of thing.

Personally I don't really want to have to have polite conversation with officers any more than they want polite conversation with me, I have to do enough of that sort of networking at work. Having said that I respect that it might be an important part of a cruise to other passengers.

Edited by Florry

I appreciate what you are saying Florry. Thing is a lot of 'old time' passengers, guests!!! have built up relationships with some of the Senior Officers over the years and it's always an extra tick in the box if those that you know are going to be on board. I fully understand that 'guests' in recent years would never have been exposed to the ships officers so 'why would I want to know' is reasonable and understandable. As for the officers not wishing to have conversation with passengers, I can only say that in our experience many enjoy the interaction and keep in touch whilst on or indeed off the ship. I guess from a regular passenger point of view we buy the people that are on the ship as much as we do P&O so going full circle, it's nice to know who's on.

Yes I can understand if they have become like friends. I didn't start cruising until 2002 which is perhaps why it is less important. I will always remember a restaurant manager on Arcadia six years back and always hope he may be onboard but alas I've never seen him again. I've been friends with one of the waiters for about 5years. I know they aren't officers but it's the same sort of fondness I guess [emoji4]

Edited by Florry

I think most customers have as little interest in who is sailing the ship or maintaining the engines, as the name of the pilot on the flight out.

As for who the hotel director is, really? Why?

Well I guess it's all about the love of the sea, the ships and cruising. The officers have 'done' most of what we look to experience and quite often they are charming company and, if you regard cruising a bit like a hobby it's great to talk to the experts. I think most people enjoy talking to like minded folk, both ashore and on the ship, about cruising and their experiences so for one think it is a shame that P&O appear to be trying to distance the officers from the passengers.

Hey, each to our own but having cruised P&O for more than 25 years you might see where I'm coming from.

Oh! Florry, was it John Willard.

Bal

Having done nearly 30 cruises with P&O over 26yrs I can honestly say that we have never booked a cruise knowing or caring who the senior officers are. They are all as well qualified and even more so these days apart from the Welcome Aboard Party you never seem to see them. The next argument would be I booked this cruise because Captain Popeye was in charge and he isn't so I want my money back. The main reason and I think a very good reason is that circumstances do change and senior officers can change at short notice.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

I would like to know who the captain and cruise director is, beyond that I don't really care. Having the 'wrong' CD would stop as booking a cruise. For example we have never returned to Ventura since a cruise we took with poor entertainment and issues with a certain CD.

Having done nearly 30 cruises with P&O over 26yrs I can honestly say that we have never booked a cruise knowing or caring who the senior officers are. They are all as well qualified and even more so these days apart from the Welcome Aboard Party you never seem to see them. The next argument would be I booked this cruise because Captain Popeye was in charge and he isn't so I want my money back. The main reason and I think a very good reason is that circumstances do change and senior officers can change at short notice.

As I said, each to their own. We don't book because certain officers are on board, indeed you would not know if like us you book when the brochure is issued. Guess the difference is the enjoyment one gets from the interaction between passenger and crew/officers. So knowing that a particular officer or group of officers are on board is a bonus for some of us. But, naturally I understand that some folk have no interest in the running of the ship, it's just a floating hotel to them and that's fine but we like a bit more and, actually get it.

By the way, I don't normally mention how many cruises we have done to score points but it's a whole lot more than 30.

Bal

Well I guess it's all about the love of the sea, the ships and cruising. The officers have 'done' most of what we look to experience and quite often they are charming company and, if you regard cruising a bit like a hobby it's great to talk to the experts. I think most people enjoy talking to like minded folk, both ashore and on the ship, about cruising and their experiences so for one think it is a shame that P&O appear to be trying to distance the officers from the passengers.

Hey, each to our own but having cruised P&O for more than 25 years you might see where I'm coming from.

Oh! Florry, was it John Willard.

Bal

It was 'Nils' Bal, passengers called him Neil. He was very funny and very kind to me in some unfortunate circumstances. Sometimes people touch your life at at your worst times and you wish you could tell them years later how that kindness is still remembered.

We used to cruise with P&O a lot including Arcadia's first Grand Voyage one of the plus points was the friendliness of the Senior Officers and it was always nice to know who would be on your cruise. However for personal reasons we will no longer cruise with P&O but it is disappointing to hear that Officers are becoming invisible.

Our cruise line of choice is Azamara who although an American line are more like P&O of old, all Senior Officers interact with the passengers in fact all the crew have one single aim to make sure passengers are well looked after.

OK it may be the most important part of a holiday, but cruising was always about giving you a special experience and sadly that is being lost and just becoming floating hotels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As I said, each to their own. We don't book because certain officers are on board, indeed you would not know if like us you book when the brochure is issued. Guess the difference is the enjoyment one gets from the interaction between passenger and crew/officers. So knowing that a particular officer or group of officers are on board is a bonus for some of us. But, naturally I understand that some folk have no interest in the running of the ship, it's just a floating hotel to them and that's fine but we like a bit more and, actually get it.

By the way, I don't normally mention how many cruises we have done to score points but it's a whole lot more than 30.

Bal

It was not said to "score more points" just as a fact but is only the same as your statement " but having cruised P&O for more than 25 years you might see where I'm coming from" or is that a case of do as I say not as I do.

We used to cruise with P&O a lot including Arcadia's first Grand Voyage one of the plus points was the friendliness of the Senior Officers and it was always nice to know who would be on your cruise. However for personal reasons we will no longer cruise with P&O but it is disappointing to hear that Officers are becoming invisible.

Our cruise line of choice is Azamara who although an American line are more like P&O of old, all Senior Officers interact with the passengers in fact all the crew have one single aim to make sure passengers are well looked after.

OK it may be the most important part of a holiday, but cruising was always about giving you a special experience and sadly that is being lost and just becoming floating hotels.

I do fear that is the problem, and with the bigger ships, the ship itself becomes the destination. Not where you can go in it, which with some of the BIG ones, is not a lot of places.

I think Arcadia is the biggest one we would consider...I still like ship ships...

I guess Azamara works out more expensive pppn than the likes of pando,celebrity,princess, which is why the experience would be a better one.

I think some posters go thinking they will get an Azamara experience for a pando etc price, which ofcourse it couldn't do. I will also put celebrity in there and princess, as having taking to reading their boards the same things raised on pando are raised on there.

I do fear that is the problem, and with the bigger ships, the ship itself becomes the destination. Not where you can go in it, which with some of the BIG ones, is not a lot of places.

I think Arcadia is the biggest one we would consider...I still like ship ships...

I guess Azamara works out more expensive pppn than the likes of pando,celebrity,princess, which is why the experience would be a better one.

I think some posters go thinking they will get an Azamara experience for a pando etc price, which ofcourse it couldn't do. I will also put celebrity in there and princess, as having taking to reading their boards the same things raised on pando are raised on there.

Agree it's much more difficult on the very large ships but some make an effort even if it's just to members of loyalty clubs. Certainly on our recent Celebrity Eclipse cruises there were events where Senior Officers mingled with guests, and Officers were often "doing the rounds" in the Sky lounge in the evening. This also applied on Regal Princess where officers were often present in the Elite lounge. I think it depends on the ships management and the views of the a Captain.

• 2 years later...

As an officer in the 90's, it was very much part of the job to host cocktail parties, talk to passengers daytime ad evening time, and host tables in the restaurant. It was expected. Times they change I suppose but that connection is being lost. Hardly saw the officers at all on 'Britannia' this year in a social environment. 

I dont think it has anything to do with money as responsibilities of an officer remain same on the deck, tehcnical side. Cruise line focus is more about a holiday destination, that just happens to be afloat and less emphasis on the 'ship' operations side.  Pursers office is no longer Pursers office but Hotel Management etc. 

• Like 1

We were on Ventura  earlier this month and Andy Willard was often around the ship and talking to the passengers.  On several occasions we were chatting to friends in the atrium when he came and joined us for a few minutes, maybe because most of us had met him on other cruises.  I think that it is a pity that some of the other captains don't do the same, one couple that we met on Ventura told us that it was the first time that they had talked to the captain, they are missing a PR opportunity. 

On 7/1/2016 at 11:34 AM, insanemagnet said:

I think most customers have as little interest in who is sailing the ship or maintaining the engines, as the name of the pilot on the flight out.

As for who the hotel director is, really? Why?

Quite agree.  I couldn't care less who the officers are as long as they know what they are doing.  Very rarely see any of them around unless it's at the party/gala night.  As for the Entertainment Manager, again, as long as they do their job (without the Butlins "are we having a lovely time") I don't need to know who they are.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We were on Ventura  earlier this month and Andy Willard was often around the ship and talking to the passengers.  On several occasions we were chatting to friends in the atrium when he came and joined us for a few minutes, maybe because most of us had met him on other cruises.  I think that it is a pity that some of the other captains don't do the same, one couple that we met on Ventura told us that it was the first time that they had talked to the captain, they are missing a PR opportunity. 

Our favourite Captain - he has always been like that when we have sailed with him on Oceana. He is also very popular with the crew and always seems to run a happy ship. I do think it makes a massive difference when the crew are personable and when people do respect the roles that the crew play in making sure that you are  not only entertained, enjoying your cruise, but are also very skilled and keep you safe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Quite agree.  I couldn't care less who the officers are as long as they know what they are doing.  Very rarely see any of them around unless it's at the party/gala night.  As for the Entertainment Manager, again, as long as they do their job (without the Butlins "are we having a lovely time") I don't need to know who they are.

It's interesting that so many say they have no interest in the officers are. I guess I come from a different era of cruising when the officers mingled with the passenger all the time, each hosted tables at dinner from Cadets to the Captain. Each of the senior officers, Chief Engineer, Purser, Cruise Director and Captain all hosted their own individual parties and in turn, passengers would host their own parties in their cabins. It was not uncommon to have more invitations to shin-digs than the were cruise days. The thing is that as passengers we got to know the officers really well and, as a bonus, other passengers as well which frankly made the cruise. it was not uncommon to be invited onto the bridge for arrivals/departures and one wonderful memory was going through the Panama Canal on the bridge. Also had the opportunity to go down into the engine room which was amazing, as were countless other encounters. So rather than being the 'crew' that run the ship, if you like me enjoy the experience being on a ship and traveling to various interesting destinations, rather than a 'hotel experience' which basically Carnival/P&O now want you think you are having. Hence Guest rather than Passenger.  So friends, after 30 plus years of P&O cruising, the officers on board still play an important part of our enjoyment. Much has changed but if you get to know the officers then I can tell you that your experience will be enhanced measurably.

Bal

Hi Bal, I agree 100% with your sentiments and my wife and I are from the same cruising era as you! I remember our first two cruises in the mid 1980's on the old Sea Princess (later, Victoria) with the wonderful Bill Allison as Cruise Director and his Assistant Sharon Jackson who we kept in touch with for many years.

It is "each to their own" so no brickbats please from those who don't care about the Officers - absolutely no problem. For us, like Bal, the days of parties with the Officers/Entertainers (as a result of being on the Cruise Director's dining table) was a huge part of our enjoyment.

On our early cruises we hardly saw our Daughter as she was at several Crew/Officers /Entertainers parties every night. Mind you, she was 20, beautiful (biased as we are) with long blond hair!! 😂😂😂. Kind regards Peter

• Thanks 1