Clothing question

I am asking this on the HAL forum rather than on the west coast departures because I absolutely trust the HAL cruisers to give me good advice. I live in south Texas and have always boarded ships leaving from Miami and Fort Lauderdale. In Florida, even in November people wore summer clothes. We will be cruising on the Westerdam in November..departing from San Diego and going to the Mexican Rivera. Apparently the temperature ranges from 60-70 degrees at that time of year in San Diego. Will I look out of place wearing whites and pastels in San Diego or should I wear darker fall colors until after I board the ship? I want to do whatever is most appropriate.

Thanks

Marcia

Agree you should wear what you want and that most clothing seasonal rules are antiquated! But I live in FL - home of the white all year round. Even though their temps do not take a fall plunge, San Diegoians do the fall clothing at that time of year.

Just remember it is usually chilly (can go to the 50's) in the evening in San Diego so maybe tuck in a pair of long pants/jeans and a sweater.

SoCal native here- have lived all my life just north of San Diego.

Wear what makes you comfortable. For the most part now clothing trends (light vs dark) tend to follow what the "hot" style of denim is.

November can be blazing hot to cool. At least you will likely have a sea breeze.

Enjoy the MR.

Wear what you are comfortable in..No one is apt to say a word about what you are wearing anyway, nor even notice. I would wager you will see all kinds of folks wearing all kinds of stuff. We are doing the same cruise, coming from near Seattle, the following month and I will be avidly watching for your review..:).

As a San Diego resident, I can tell you that "summer clothes" are most appropriate here throughout the year. You will see people wearing casual shorts and T-shirts in November.

Our summers start late and end late, in that we tend to have cooler overcast mornings in June (we call it the June gloom) and hot sunny days in October. The weather will change in November, but summer attire will still be appropriate. The only caveat is that the port is downtown and so a lot of people downtown will be dressed for work on weekdays. But then, you will not be going to work.....

igraf

I am asking this on the HAL forum rather than on the west coast departures because I absolutely trust the HAL cruisers to give me good advice. I live in south Texas and have always boarded ships leaving from Miami and Fort Lauderdale. In Florida, even in November people wore summer clothes. We will be cruising on the Westerdam in November..departing from San Diego and going to the Mexican Rivera. Apparently the temperature ranges from 60-70 degrees at that time of year in San Diego. Will I look out of place wearing whites and pastels in San Diego or should I wear darker fall colors until after I board the ship? I want to do whatever is most appropriate.

Thanks

Marcia

Edited by igraf

OMGOSH guys,

We have lived in our little beach town of Encinitas/Leucadia in San Diego

Over 30 years, and wear white anytime! Weather here is wonderful but we do have May gray June gloom along our coast with low clouds and dew early morning with clouds breaking mid morning.

In October and November this year was wonderful in the high 60's low 70's.

Wear what you like here!

Right now our weather is low clouds no sun at 7:10 am. Hopefully for our 4th of July we will have sun by noon!

Enjoy your cruise!

Denise:)

Remember that "no white after labor day" is an antiquated American "rule" which nobody is sure how it started.

Actually, there's a very practical reason why the rule started. Made a lot of sense in its day, although it's obsolete now.

Research it for an interesting little read.

San Diego averages only about 10 inches of rain per year and we have heat waves in February. 86 degrees F (30 C) on Feb 10, 2016. December and January are our "cold" months where I actually have to heat the house during the day.

igraf

I know they say it "never rains in S. California", but I beg to differ. Every time we've been to San Diego, it's rained and been pretty cool...no shorts for me!

Thanks for all the help. I know I at least need a jacket and won't be too out of place in white jeans. I will work out the details later. I am thinking about options now and looking into my closet as ideas come to me. DH has given me the "you don't need to take so many clothes" speech.

Marcia

Living in Southern Calif, I wouldn't replace the pastels or white, but I would dress for possible cold in San Diego. I made the same mistake on our first cruise out of Florida (Sunny winter paradise Florida!) and froze on the open deck of the Maasdam leaving Fort Lauderdale in January - in my whites and lime greens. I was off Caribbean cruising after all.

Immediately bought a great all cotton, zip-up HAL logo hoodie with zipper pockets in the ship's store, that now goes on every cruise with me 8 years later. And DH got a very sharp Maasdam logo shell back when they offered individual ship logo wear. That goes with him pretty much everywhere too.

Edited by OlsSalt

Thanks for all the help. I know I at least need a jacket and won't be too out of place in white jeans. I will work out the details later. I am thinking about options now and looking into my closet as ideas come to me. DH has given me the "you don't need to take so many clothes" speech.

Marcia

Jeans and a jacket sounds right. Our climate doesn't vary much but if you tend to get chilly then shorts might be a bit goose bumpy.Enjoy our beautiful city.