Large Charter caused dining problems

Karen13

I have not run into a HAL priest on our charters and I am not sure there would be an RC priest going along for that. :)

There have been other clergy on board but I think they were there as passengers and may have held volunteered to do services; I know there have been rabbis that did it. Also, on one cruise when we scattered a friend's ashes there was a New Wavy minister onboard that assisted with that.

Irrespective of whether or not the ship's status was a whole-ship charter, I thought the presence of a priest was based in HAL's contract with its Filipino crew.

Irrespective of whether or not the ship's status was a whole-ship charter, I thought the presence of a priest was based in HAL's contract with its Filipino crew.

You are partially correct: (1) IIRC it was HAL's founder(s) who included a provision in HAL's original Charter (which is comparable to Articles of Incorporation in the US) that requires each cruise to have a Roman Catholic priest on board; and (2) HAL has a contract with Apostleship of the Sea - USA, under which AOS provides a priest on every HAL cruise. Although I can find no independent confirmation of your statement that "the presence of a priest was based HAL's contract with its Filipino crew", you may be correct on that point.

Since early 2010, HAL has been the only cruise line to provide a Roman Catholic priest on every one of its cruises.

Smooth sailing ...

That may be possible; I just don't recall ever seeing any Masses scheduled for passengers.

I agree.

Priority boarding is meaningless to us, along with a lot of other so called 'priority' benefits.

On our last 2 cruises the Priority boarding lines were longest. We had priority boarding on our last RCI cruise and on our last Celebrity cruise. As above, in both cases the Priority and Suite boarding lines were actually longer than the regular lines. We opted for the latter and we processed and on our way within 5 minutes.

We were shaking our heads about the folks who were actually lined up and waiting in the Priority/Suite line ups when they could have gone with the great unwashed and had no line up whatsoever. We can never figure it out. It is an aspirational thing? Do they want to be noticed as being in the so called 'special' line up? Or are they just a bunch of sheep?

We have looked at booking Neptune but always demur. Not willing to pay for something that we get for free on RCI/Celebrity regardless of what cabin category we book. The only differentiating benny for us would be real estate.

Being a regular Neptune user myself, I find the Neptune real estate a precious 'benny'. Laundry and Wifi help make it desirable, too. As for the priority lines, we find the Neptune ones move as fast flowing as the others, sometimes faster. And I'm not snobby nor do I seek to show off the fact I paid dearly for the added luxury. Everyone seeks as much comfort as their budget allows and mine, fortunately, allows me to squeak together enough cash for one Neptune ride a year. See you onboard, Iancal.

Edited by 2old4this

I just got off the Westerdam Saturday with a large (600) inspirations group. They were no problem at all. I would sail with them anytime. They were some of the nicest people I met on the cruise. The problem I found were the family reunions and big groups of friends. They tended to be loud and were saving Crows Nest chairs for their friends.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I just got off the Westerdam Saturday with a large (600) inspirations group. They were no problem at all. I would sail with them anytime. They were some of the nicest people I met on the cruise. The problem I found were the family reunions and big groups of friends. They tended to be loud and were saving Crows Nest chairs for their friends.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your perspective. My husband and I will be on the Westerdam in just under two weeks and there is an inspirations group as well. We are not really worried though as we tend to make the best of any situation. It sounds like you had a great cruise! So glad to hear it.

Kathy, we were on that July 9th cruise and agree that group members we met were quite nice. They did take over late set seating, open seating was still available until 9PM. On Karen's cruise limit was 6:45. Suspect difference was 900 rather than just 600. I would be concerned about effect of groups on future cruises. The Crows Nest was very busy during most daytime hours. Did notice the noise, seemed to be coming from bar area during happy hour. Found area near library to be more quiet. Glad you enjoyed the cruise, so did we.

Hi Karen,

I would certainly post your concerns and the "form letter" response on Facebook. HAL seems to be very concerned with responding to posts on their page, https://www.facebook.com/HALCruises/?fref=ts. I certainly hope that your second email gets the respect that it deserves.

Laurie

Absolutely agree. I would probably have made more of a complaint at the time and

demanded a resolution. You did not get what you paid for.

This thread has certainly been an education, thanks for posting Karen13 and thanks for the info on charter websites.

We did complain at the time both to the MDR and to reception. The response we got was to take the issue up with head office upon our return. The ships staff were clearly unhappy with the situation they had been placed in, and in fairness, it was not of their making.

When I posted on facebook I was told to contact guest relations. I have done so last week. I am still awaiting a response. Not good enough.

Let us know what your PCC says. My guess is something like "it will not impact your cruise", or a similar party line. :(

I'm also disappointed in OP's response from HAL. A sour taste indeed.

I finally did hear back from my PCC about my December cruise. Actually the PCC that I asked originally left HAL and was replaced by another. It took him less than a week to get the answer.

His response was: "... Official answer is that this group will only be using meeting rooms during the cruise and will not be using the Crow's Nest. ..."

Now I only have to worry about cigar smoking on the balcony. :rolleyes:

I finally did hear back from my PCC about my December cruise. Actually the PCC that I asked originally left HAL and was replaced by another. It took him less than a week to get the answer.

His response was: "... Official answer is that this group will only be using meeting rooms during the cruise and will not be using the Crow's Nest. ..."

Now I only have to worry about cigar smoking on the balcony. :rolleyes:

Thanks for following up! Consider yourself lucky, as they aren't likely to use the show lounge like larger groups do :eek::D

Have a great cruise.

Whenever I am faced with a travel challenge, my approach is ALWAYS to:

1. Be unfailingly polite to and pleasant with each person I speak to in resolving the issue,
  2. Be absolutely unrelenting in whatever escalation is necessary, and
  3. Resolve the issue at the first instance.

This approach has never failed for me - but I caution you that item 1 is probably the most important, and most difficult.

Regarding the original post, if the group had made arrangements with HAL that infringed on the value afforded other passengers, it is clear that HAL was in the rong - this may have been the case - and HAL owes substantial compensation to the affected passengers.

If the group came aboard and insisted on special treatment that was not previously agreed by HAL, then the group was just being pushy and narrow-minded: it would not have bothered me to be subject to their ignorance and scorn (I do live in the real world). Bigots or zealots of any kind hold no power over me. But if they want to take what I have paid for, I expect HAL to side with me, and will do what is necessary to obtain that cooperation.

My $0.02,

f3

We did complain at the time both to the MDR and to reception. The response we got was to take the issue up with head office upon our return. The ships staff were clearly unhappy with the situation they had been placed in, and in fairness, it was not of their making.

When I posted on facebook I was told to contact guest relations. I have done so last week. I am still awaiting a response. Not good enough.

"Take the issue up with the head office" is a cop out on the part of the ship's crew. This is a commonly used response. It's blame the other guy.

The only effective response is to tell them, politely, that it is their ship and it is their problem to resolve. Tell them that if resolving the problem requires contact with the front office then it is their responsibility to contact that office, not yours. Get the name, rank, and serial number and tell them you WILL contact the head office if they do not solve the problem. Tell them you will inform the head office that they, personally, were not responsive to solving the problem. Tell them when you expect them to provide their answer.

We were on Westerdam July 9Th cruise with 600 from Inspirations Group. They did take over late set seating in MDR. However, open seating was still available until 9PM, not restricted to 6:45 on Karen's cruise. Dining room mgr. worked with us, we had table for two at 7:45 with same wait staff for five nights. Believe that 600 was manageable, not 900. The group had an event in Showroom on first day ended about 7PM. Not aware of any other time when group took over a venue. Met several of their group and they were quite nice. If HAL would limit the number and set some guidelines, this would at least minimize their effect on other cruisers. Must admit, I would try to avoid groups in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update. I persevered and complained to guest relations. HAL has now offered us future cruise credits of £250 each off the cost of a cruise booked in the next twelve months.

I'm not sure if we will be in a position to take advantage of this, and would have preferred a gesture during the cruise to recognise the inconvenience, but I suppose it's something.

However if we do take a mass market cruise again I will be very careful to check the position with group bookings. A pity as otherwise we enjoyed the ship and the cruise in all other respects.

Thanks to everyone for your supportive comments.

Happy that there was a monetary acknowledgement that you were inconvenienced. Hope that you do have an opportunity to take HAL up on the offer, and that things are much, much better next time.

Thanks for letting us know.

Karen13, Thank you for the update. At least HAL offered something,a bit low for what you endured. As you read in my July post, we were more fortunate. Our first alert to potential large group was being waitlisted for late set seating in October. Think we would try to avoid groups in the future, we still like HAL.

I just finished reading all 13 pages of this thread and think it was probably a mistake because now I'm REALLY mad about my upcoming cruise. The roll call for my upcoming cruise has been buzzing about a large church group that will be taking over the entire dining room at 8pm.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against a church group. They could be a bunch of cloggers or basket weavers, but when they want to take over the ship and control the entire dining room and infringe on my experience, now I have a problem.

First I received a response from HAL saying yes there will be a large group on board but it will have little impact on our dining options. Today, about two weeks later I receive this response:

For dinner- Correct, our “As You Wish Dining will be effected for our later diners. Due to the size of the group we have set them up to have priority over the late dining times within the Main Dining Room. As such- we will not offer seating times for the normal Late dining times, unless you are part of the group. All other options, such as the Lido Market, our Specialty restaurants will run as normal to offer a later dining option.

Entertainment and other venues- have been set up to have minimal impact for our non-group cruisers. However certain areas may be reserved for this group during the day time. We do not foresee a major impact to normal day to day activities. This setup would be same for any other groups that choose to travel with us, and has been arranged a head of time.

I find HAL's handling of this situation totally unacceptable. They treat the non-group passengers as steerage and not worthy of the experience we paid for. If I could, I would cancel this cruise and book something else but I have already made final payment, booked plane tickets, hotel, etc.

I can only hope my experience is better than the OP but so far it doesn't look likely.

I find HAL's handling of this situation totally unacceptable. They treat the non-group passengers as steerage and not worthy of the experience we paid for. If I could, I would cancel this cruise and book something else but I have already made final payment, booked plane tickets, hotel, etc.

I can only hope my experience is better than the OP but so far it doesn't look likely.

Go to Anytime Dining. Request to sit at the same table every night at the same time. About the best you can do.

sorry, this was probably covered before. But how do you know if there is a large group on your ship ?

We are booked on Zuiderdam - Jan 15 - Panama cruise.

the roll call is only 2 people and now you have me worried that maybe this is why.

thanks

sorry, this was probably covered before. But how do you know if there is a large group on your ship ?

the roll call is only 2 people and now you have me worried that maybe this is why.

thanks

Google "Theme Cruise Finder". Select browse all categories. Looks like another ship (Koningsdam) is booked with a religious group on January 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thanks

Very unlikely that your cruise will have a large group. They usually stick to the seven day or less cruises.