M. S. Koningsdam's Library: A reply from a Special Advisor, Office of the President

rkacruiser

Some of you may find this interesting including the Koningsdam mention:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/which-cruise-ship-library-is-right-for-you/2016/06/08/b8ba713a-ff45-11e5-9203-7b8670959b88_story.html

I will say that the library changes to newer ships goes along with their marketing on many ships so I am not suprised. Even my 85 year old mother in law loves her Kindle we bought for her, which we load with books and games for her. She still has some "real" books in her home but now she loves the Kindle flexibility and also enjoys the classical music we've added to it. She can read and listen, and she even plays some puzzle solving games. We were surprised at her willingness to try this as she is usually very resistant to change (i.e stubborn but lovable LOL)

I fought the Kindle for a long time preferring the feel and look of a wonderful book in my hands, but now I am hooked on it too! We enjoy crusing with our Kindles and nothing beats a glass of wine on our balcony, a Kindle book (or several) to read, and some Strauss waltzes playing softly from my Kindle as the flying fish go by!

Possibly will be an "electronic library". Passengers would check out books on their tablets or e-readers.

Personally, I'd rather use my tablet than books that have been coughed on, sneezed on, etc. I remember a guy a few cruises back that checked out several books to take to his stateroom because he was sick and didn't want to expose a lot of people.

I work very hard at staying healthy on board and would hate to get sick from a book someone just returned. There is a reason they close down the libraries when the ship goes into code red.

Again, you assume that everyone want to buy, use or a kindle.

Come on, if health of books was a problem they would have been closed years ago and if they were REALLY worried the books then even a small library would have been closed. No problem on any other ships that have them.

When hours before a longer cruise my first Kindle died on me and I had to rush to a bookstore to buy half a dozen or so paperbacks to tide me over I learned from that: Now DH and myself take 3 (!) e-book readers (one of which is compatible to our library's reading format) and a tablet computer :oBetter to be safe than sorry.

And yes, I also love to browse through a really good library on board. And I fondly remember when we cruised Cunard's "Queen Elizabeth" once: the best well-stocked library we have encountered PLUS a sizable bookstore on board. It was heaven!!

The reply from the advisor is insulting...

As the OP, I respectfully disagree with your comment.

The gentleman answerd my e-mail inquiry and addressed my concerns.

I appreciated that my e-mail was read and an adequate response was prepared and sent.

Viewing the photo's of on-board libraries on two of Carnival Cruise Line's newest ships that Topsham posted, I have to wonder if those vessels have such nice venues, why not the Pinnacle Class ships? What is the thinking taking place in Seattle?

Or, is some other area of Carnival Corporation responsible for making such decisions? (I am thinking of the Carnival Shipbuilding Division, if they are involved in the planning of the interior of the newbuilds.)

That's great. They specifically say what Koningsdam has... and what the entire collection consists of.

The Koningsdam, which launched in April, takes this concept to a new level, with its entire collection — travel guides, atlases and coffee-table books — linked to its European and Caribbean destinations.

And now that everyone knows how it's being referred to... take it, leave it or be indifferent. I'll choose to enjoy the ship as it's one of the best I've ever been on! Those that will avoid it like the plague... more chance of last minute deals to fill the ship. So feel free to enjoy the S Class nearing the end of their run... Meanwhile my Koningsdam experience will be better since no one on board will be complaining nonstop about chairs on a promenade and fiction books. :rolleyes:

Edited by InTheWASide

What I get from this is that libraries are not a priority on the new build HAL ships. We prefer to take longer cruises on smaller ships so this will probably not be a big deal for us. The largest ship we sailed was the Carnival Liberty for 49 days around South America. It's library was smaller than my home library, and I don't have a home library! Our last cruise was 71 days on the Ocean Princess and it had a beautiful and useful library. So ships like the Koningsdam were built for short, port intensive cruises like the Caribbean or Alaska 7-day cruises. Not my thing, so if they don't have a library so be it.

Every Holland cruise i have ever done the library is one of the busiest places on the ship...especially sea days. Hard to find a seat. Maybe empty on port days or at night but certainly not during daytime that i have ever seen.

Ditto !

It may well depend upon the cruise - we tend to do longer ones with some sea days as well as port days. Libraries become more important on longer cruises with sea days IMO.

Edited by kazu

Ditto !

It may well depend upon the cruise - we tend to do longer ones with some sea days as well as port days. Libraries become more important on longer cruises with sea days IMO.

This is my experience as well. On whatever length of a HAL cruise I have sailed, the Explorations Cafe area has always been well patronized with seats often at a premium.

Have those individuals who make the decisions to alter the HAL experience really sailed on a HAL cruise?

Crystal Cruises’ Crystal Symphony doesn’t skimp on books in its nearly 700-square-foot traditionally decorated library. The 5,000-book collection covers everything from poetry to sports to whodunits. It also offers 2,000 DVDs and audio books that can be borrowed. But those who want a little more than a sit-down with a good read can head to the ship’s Computer University@Sea, where a team of techies offer complimentary lessons on topics ranging from basic computer skills to advanced Web design. The ship even boasts a technology concierge, whose job is to enlighten passengers on the ins and outs of iPads, iPhones, GPS devices, etc.

Perhaps the strategy is that this ship will attract a younger demographic that will read everything on some electronic device. HAL might be waiting to see the reaction before doing this on other ships. Answer by management certainly indicated this was a very deliberate decision.

Perhaps the strategy is that this ship will attract a younger demographic that will read everything on some electronic device. HAL might be waiting to see the reaction before doing this on other ships. Answer by management certainly indicated this was a very deliberate decision.

I think this is pretty much it. Personally, there's nothing like finding "that book" in a ship's library that one has been meaning to get to but hasn't yet - and being able to read it without having to buy it! A small part of the cruise experience for us. I like my Kindle too, but the ridiculous cost of a download - often just a dollar or so less than the physical book - (and in two instances I've experienced, MORE than the physical book) - has kept me from buying a whole lot. Love a room filled with books.

Considering the library is almost always virtually empty when I've seen it on my HAL cruises I find it interesting as well.

On our recent Noordam cruise, some days we couldn't find a seat in the library. It was the most popular place onboard.

I think this is pretty much it. Personally, there's nothing like finding "that book" in a ship's library that one has been meaning to get to but hasn't yet - and being able to read it without having to buy it! A small part of the cruise experience for us. I like my Kindle too, but the ridiculous cost of a download - often just a dollar or so less than the physical book - (and in two instances I've experienced, MORE than the physical book) - has kept me from buying a whole lot. Love a room filled with books.

Perhaps you know this but you probably can download books from your public library to your kindle and maybe "that" book will be available.

Meanwhile my koningsdam experience will be better since no one on board will be complaining nonstop about chairs on a promenade and fiction books. :rolleyes:

...But what about returning soup to the deli? (hope you get the Seinfeld reference)

getting to be just like any other cruise line. I can get Norwegian right at my front door; why go to Ft. Laud.

Maybe they figure their clientele will die off soon and therefore, getting ready for the next generation. They won't need bands and chamber music as they will be having hearing problems and will be reading electronic devices.

I sailed NCL Dawn last summer and to my suprise there was a small library.

When I first started cruising 10+ years ago, libraries were rather important to me. As an avid reader, this was one less thing to have to pack, and books can get heavy!

Now that I actively use a tablet, I have realized the library book offerings are no longer important (to me). I can easily download many books, and have the benefit of additional capability on the tablet as well. All in a small light package I can easily pack.

I hope to get a chance to sail the K'Dam and I'll be interested to see how they have repurposed this space.

When I first started cruising 10+ years ago, libraries were rather important to me. As an avid reader, this was one less thing to have to pack, and books can get heavy!

Now that I actively use a tablet, I have realized the library book offerings are no longer important (to me). I can easily download many books, and have the benefit of additional capability on the tablet as well. All in a small light package I can easily pack.

I hope to get a chance to sail the K'Dam and I'll be interested to see how they have repurposed this space.

You'll have plenty opportunities to get on the Kdam, the ship is sailing at 75% of capacity since its inauguration, which is very poor for a new ship...soon the charters will take over and if you're lucky you might have 'inspirational' groups on board...

You'll have plenty opportunities to get on the Kdam, the ship is sailing at 75% of capacity since its inauguration, which is very poor for a new ship...soon the charters will take over and if you're lucky you might have 'inspirational' groups on board...

Really? WOW! I didn't know that.

That is a poor showing for a new ship.

Where did you get this statistic of 75%? Just curious as my wife is in the travel industry and was quite surprised that someone not directly connected with HAL would be privy to any load rates.

Unless a library is dedicated to something specific - say law or medical - it darn well should include fiction and non-fiction. Yes, I like my kindle and will use it, but have always enjoyed browsing the shelves and picking up something additional that strikes my fancy. I got a kick out of a poster who said something along the lines of "why can't they bring their own book" as if ONE book would suffice for a real reader, who might read a book a day. We will be on a 49 day trip and each of us will need a couple of dozen books!

I'm not a "fast reader" but it was always a question I had for fast readers. If you can read a book a day, do you read every single word and comprehend everything or is it just a skim? Thanks.

If HAL has thinking that a 'normal' library is of no real use on board... because all passengers (or 'most') have kindles... then why the heck to they need ANY BOOKS AT ALL? Why the travel books... atlas' etc? They can be had on all the kindle as well. They don't need ANY books!

Sorry but I do not appreciate the email from Seattle. This ship was launched in April, it is now July and all that time people on the ship have been questioning this and writing in their questionnaires, it has come up at many Captain's question times, and there have been all the posts on here. Do you not think they could have said this earlier instead of raising people's hopes about Statendam books and the book dealer in Seattle and hoping the problem was going away. Well they were wrong. I wonder if they are actually asking themselves why K is getting poor reviews or are they hoping that will go away too.

To be honest I have never thought they were going to do anything about the library, if they were they would not have built a tiny little room with half a dozen shelves housing travel books and games. This just reinforces my decision not to travel on K again.

As to all the talk on kindles etc, I have one for fiction, my husband does not as prefers a book with pages!! Even with my kindle we spent time sitting in the library every day, browsing the non fiction stuff, seeing if there was a fiction book I wanted to read and browsing the magazines. It was such a pleasant occupation and clearly one enjoyed by lots of other people as the library was always crowded. The libraries on the R and S class ships are particularly nice.