M. S. Koningsdam's Library: A reply from a Special Advisor, Office of the President

rkacruiser

This is my experience as well. On whatever length of a HAL cruise I have sailed, the Explorations Cafe area has always been well patronized with seats often at a premium.

Have those individuals who make the decisions to alter the HAL experience really sailed on a HAL cruise?

(bold is mine) Remember that awful web-cast press conference? Didn't Mr. Ashford say he had not been on ANY cruise before HAL hired him?

You'll have plenty opportunities to get on the Kdam, the ship is sailing at 75% of capacity since its inauguration, which is very poor for a new ship...soon the charters will take over and if you're lucky you might have 'inspirational' groups on board...

Yea this is categorically false.

If HAL has thinking that a 'normal' library is of no real use on board... because all passengers (or 'most') have kindles... then why the heck to they need ANY BOOKS AT ALL? Why the travel books... atlas' etc? They can be had on all the kindle as well. They don't need ANY books!

BOOKS! Cruise passengers don't need no stinkin' books...though I do...

Considering the library is almost always virtually empty when I've seen it on my HAL cruises I find it interesting as well.

During our cruises the libraries are always busy.

It's a challenge to find a seat.

They need to keep their base happy. Most HAL patrons take long cruises and reading is an important part of their cruise experience.

In today's world, there is a diminishing correlation between libraries and reading. I think HAL has recognized this reality and has planned accordingly. Not everyone's preference, but like formal nights with a preponderance of ladies in gowns and gentlemen in tuxes, I suspect that the fleet libraries of yesteryear will soon be fond memories.

In today's world, there is a diminishing correlation between libraries and reading. I think HAL has recognized this reality and has planned accordingly. Not everyone's preference, but like formal nights with a preponderance of ladies in gowns and gentlemen in tuxes, I suspect that the fleet libraries of yesteryear will soon be fond memories.

For those well connected to the tech world, I think you may be correct, unfortunately from my perspective. E-Readers are the vogue. Today. What about tomorrow?

My hope with discussions such as we are having, and if someone from West Elliott Avenue is monitoring, will be to have a small influence on the design of the M. S. Nieuw Statendam.

It surely cannot be too late to provide adequate shelving and space for a proper library on the newbuild. Plus, as others have asked and for which no answers have I read: what is the current HAL connection with Elliott Books and the New York Times?

I agree. It is nice to have a library and even though I have a Kindle reader with me, it is not the same. What bothers me most, and I understand the economics and need to maximize Return on Investment, is the upsizing of the fleet. Luckily, I might have 5 to 10 (I hope) years of cruising left. I will not sail on anything larger than the Vista class. I spend too many years sailing in tight quarters with far too many people. I might be a dinosaur but I prefer the smaller ships.

For those well connected to the tech world, I think you may be correct, unfortunately from my perspective. E-Readers are the vogue. Today. What about tomorrow?

I'm curious. Do you think stone tablets are going to come back into vogue?

Just kidding, but my point is that the content we read changes format every so often when a new and more convenient format comes along. From stone tablets to clay ones to scrolls, then pages and eReaders. But what really matters is the content.

I can't really see any reason to think that books are going to make a huge 'comeback'. Sure, today's eReaders may give way to tomorrow's virtual reality book, but rarely does technology move backwards.

(I can still hear my father saying, in 1986 when I got my first computer, "But it's just a fad. What can you really USE it for?" Sadly, he and my mom refused to ever adapt and as a result they have missed out on having a closer relationship with their grandson, who basically only communicates electronically....)

Someone commented that the way onboard libraries are used is changing. I've been wondering about that. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the people I see in the library. Yes, they're reading, but are they reading in the library because it's a comfortable quiet place to read their own books, or are they using materials that are actually from the library?

As a retired librarian, I have to jump in here, possibly to my regret. I go to my local public library twice a week to check out books. I am not an e-reader fan. Yes, there are computers in the library which are heavily used. But there are children's programs about reading and I often see mothers checking out and returning bags of books for their kids. My library as well as others I am sure, now display books - "popular reads", fiction, non-fiction, mass market paperbacks - as you enter. And there are always people choosing from these titles. Granted, these users are 50+ in age. When new books come out, one can put a "hold" on them and eventually you will be notified that the books is available. I have seen 100 holds on 20 copies. so you have to wait awhile.

When went to "Library School" 30+ years ago, we were told the demise of the physical book was about 10 years out. It has not happened.

I am saddened that HAL has taken their position on libraries for their new ships. I think they should reconsider. Barbara

As a retired librarian, I have to jump in here, possibly to my regret. I go to my local public library twice a week to check out books. I am not an e-reader fan. Yes, there are computers in the library which are heavily used. But there are children's programs about reading and I often see mothers checking out and returning bags of books for their kids. My library as well as others I am sure, now display books - "popular reads", fiction, non-fiction, mass market paperbacks - as you enter. And there are always people choosing from these titles. Granted, these users are 50+ in age. When new books come out, one can put a "hold" on them and eventually you will be notified that the books is available. I have seen 100 holds on 20 copies. so you have to wait awhile.

When went to "Library School" 30+ years ago, we were told the demise of the physical book was about 10 years out. It has not happened.

I am saddened that HAL has taken their position on libraries for their new ships. I think they should reconsider. Barbara

Barbara,

So agree with you. There is something about roaming the stacks and coming upon something that you didn't know about and being able to really look at it before taking it out. People should have choices on "how" they read. Have tried both Kindle and reading on my iPad and find it isn't for me.

Right now my husband and I are putting the finishing touches on packing for a month away and there is not enough room for the numbers of books and guide books we will be reading on our 14 day cruise on the K. :( I do hope HAL will reconsider their views on libraries and be sure to include a proper space for a library on the Nieuw Statendam.

As you aren't an e-reader fan, you might not realize the extent to which libraries cater to those of us who are. Signing on to my library's website, I get the same "display" of new books. No need to drive to the library to check out what's new.

As for holds, the initial process is almost identical. I currently have 9 active holds, and will add two or three more today once I've checked what new books have made it to the top ten best sellers list. My current holds vary from being #8 on 8 copies to #148 on 25 copies. When the notification arrives that a book is available, however, I simply download it from home. Or from my cabin if I'm cruising. No need for me to go to my library to pick it up or drop it off when I'm finished reading it.

In the end, format really doesn't matter, it's just personal preference. I just hope that every new generation produces the talented writers that love to read.

Barbara,

So agree with you. There is something about roaming the stacks and coming upon something that you didn't know about and being able to really look at it before taking it out. People should have choices on "how" they read. Have tried both Kindle and reading on my iPad and find it isn't for me.

Right now my husband and I are putting the finishing touches on packing for a month away and there is not enough room for the numbers of books and guide books we will be reading on our 14 day cruise on the K. :( I do hope HAL will reconsider their views on libraries and be sure to include a proper space for a library on the Nieuw Statendam.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you for an excellent summary.

Should HAL fail to reverse this decision, the very least they could do would be to provide e-readers for loan, along with an array of titles to download, so that people who like to read, and don't have an e-reader of their own to bring, can have access to adequate reading material on their cruise.

Furnish that, along with a listing of what is available (including info on the content, such as would be on a book flap), and a quiet, comfortable place to sit and read, and that would help the situation. Not a solution, but a help.

In the end, format really doesn't matter, it's just personal preference.

Format does matter--a lot. There are numerous studies that show reading an e-book is not the same experience as reading a paper book. The e-book experience is not as fulfilling, it's not as conducive to recalling details, and it's not as engaging.

For example: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/19/readers-absorb-less-kindles-paper-study-plot-ereader-digitisation

Format does matter--a lot. There are numerous studies that show reading an e-book is not the same experience as reading a paper book. The e-book experience is not as fulfilling, it's not as conducive to recalling details, and it's not as engaging.

For example: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/19/readers-absorb-less-kindles-paper-study-plot-ereader-digitisation

One of the two studies mentioned only included two readers that were experienced Kindle users. (The other one doesn't specify.) That could make a huge difference in the results.

When I first started proofreading text online, I caught far fewer errors than when doing it on paper. Now, however, with about 5 years of experience, I am about equal in both.

One shouldn't diminish the impact that learning and habit has on things like reading speed and comprehension. But it does change (and improve) with practice and exposure.

One of the two studies mentioned only included two readers that were experienced Kindle users. (The other one doesn't specify.) That could make a huge difference in the results.

When I first started proofreading text online, I caught far fewer errors than when doing it on paper. Now, however, with about 5 years of experience, I am about equal in both.

One shouldn't diminish the impact that learning and habit has on things like reading speed and comprehension. But it does change (and improve) with practice and exposure.

As I wrote, the link was to one example of a description of the differences. There are plenty more.

I am also not sure that one who reads to proofread (who is reading for a different purpose than most) can be compared to other readers. Or that people reading on electronic devices improve their skills over time.

Hal should supply e readers and also someone to read to people as well;).

That's easy: recorded books. I love them. If I can't sleep, I listen to a book and it's like having someone read me to sleep.

My library had an extensive collection of books on tape, which gradually got replaced by books on CD. The CDs are still there, but they now offer members access to two online libraries for both ebooks and audiobooks. They also have little single-book MP3s called Playaways, which you sign out like a book, and don't require downloading.

Given HAL's low-end tech, I don't expect an electronic library to happen any time soon. If they'd put in a sort of "intranet" (I forget the right term) on Koningsdam, it would have been possible to add the e-library function. But if you have to go on the ship's internet to download a book, your cruise could be over before the download is done. Hard-wired downloads are possible (and fast) but ships are so afraid of viruses that they'll never allow it.

I like real books, but I do use a Kindle as well. One important way a book wins over an ebook is if you like to read to relax before bedtime. The light stimulus from the ebook can make it difficult for some people to fall asleep after reading, much like the stimulus from being on your computer late at night. Sorry, I can't quote studies.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

One important way a book wins over an ebook is if you like to read to relax before bedtime. The light stimulus from the ebook can make it difficult for some people to fall asleep after reading, much like the stimulus from being on your computer late at night. Sorry, I can't quote studies.

Kindles do not emit the light that keeps you awake. Here's a link to one of the often-quoted studies about using your computer or tablet before bedtime, but it specifically omits the Kindle, as it has a different kind of display (I think they call it e-Ink or something like that...)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/science/2014/12/22/bedtime-reading-may-keep-you-awake-glowing-screen/xGn72CxGHSomhG3dErkqVK/story.html

(you have to click the "More" button to get to the part about Kindles...)

I actually really like to read my Kindle at bedtime because I lie on my back and read, the the Kindle is much lighter than my usual hefty tomes.

When I am doing on a project I roam through my own library. I might need several book... all laid out on a table. I can go back and forth looking the information I need. It take a second to change a page on a book... or back until I need. Some books might have illustrations and some might have large plans and fold put papers. Sorry, no kindle can do that kind of work.

If you are talking about casual reading for a cruise.... yes a kindle can probably do that... if that is what you want. To say that a library is not necessary on a cruise ship is everyone's loss.

Kindle and paper is about the difference between eating a real steak or squeezing a 'mush' then microwave like in outspace. Sure, same calories, good taste. Which what you really prefer?

Edited by Topsham

Kindles do not emit the light that keeps you awake. Here's a link to one of the often-quoted studies about using your computer or tablet before bedtime, but it specifically omits the Kindle, as it has a different kind of display (I think they call it e-Ink or something like that...)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/science/2014/12/22/bedtime-reading-may-keep-you-awake-glowing-screen/xGn72CxGHSomhG3dErkqVK/story.html

I actually really like to read my Kindle at bedtime because I lie on my back and read, the the Kindle is much lighter than my usual hefty tomes.

That's interesting. Sounds like someone realized how many people read at bedtime and planned for that. Unfortunately, my kindle is an app on a tablet, so I do still have the light issue.

As the 2014 article points out, the source of the problem is "the type of short-wavelength blue light emitted by glowing e-readers, cellphone, and laptops". Since then, many tablet manufacturers and software producers have developed warm orange-red filters that change the color temperature of your screen and eliminate this problem. I read my iPad every night in bed and have no problem with my sleep. :)