NCL Does Not "Nickle and Dime"

boatseller

To the poster who said Royal charges for the rock climbing wall and movies. Where did you get that info? Royal charges nothing for any of it's entertainment, except for ice skate rental, and on the Quantum class, the sky dive and northern lights.The flow riders are also free, unless you want lessons.

Ok Room Service...I still don't think that's nickel and diming but I miss the days of no charge for that. Other lines even charge a fee if after a certain time of night.

Water - RCL also does not allow water to be brought onboard from home (whether or not they enforce this is a different story) but their policy states it cannot be brought onboard. Also their package for bottled water is just as steep.

I have no problem paying for the gratuities for UDP or the UBP (if I drank alcohol). In the past drinks have been a la carte + gratuity so now that they are free you should take away the gratuity? NO. The people who serve you are still making most of their money on gratuities and working just as hard if not harder with these packages offered so if gratuities were not added, workers would suffer greatly.

I'm sorry but there are just some costs that are unavoidable and taxes and gratuities are some of them.

So ... the people who serve drinks to those in suites shouldn't be compensated as well? The 18 percent gratuity is waved for suite members.

No, the 18 percent gratuity charged on drink packages is not about the gratuity. It is about another way to increase revenue. If it was really about the gratuity, NCL would apply it to each drink ordered, not on the entire package, which is grossly overpriced.

When we cruise on another cruise line where we have certain loyalty perks, like a daily free happy hour, we tip our servers for every drink we order. We are not opposed to tipping. We tip on each drink served -- not on an entire package.

Yes, we are don't have to sail on NCL and we don't have to accept their 'free' drink package. Unfortunately, we purchased a future cruise deposit the last time we sailed on NCL a couple of years ago and we need to use it within several months or we lose it. That is why I still look at NCL's message board and still look for cruises with them.

The first cruise we ever went on was with NCL ten years ago. We are one cruise away from Platinum. We used to really like it. But I don't think we are alone in being annoyed at the way they advertise Free At Sea when it is anything but free.

You are absolutely correct. However, the key is.. They do it "because they can." If you (plural you.. No you in particular) continue patronizing these places with no push back, then you're allowing them to do it more and more.

This latest move by NCL is unacceptable.. And everyone who objects needs to write and call NCL to let them know.. And you must vote with your feet.

This holier than thou attitude is why I'm on NCL's side during this. No other reason.

It's not "unacceptable" for them to change a rule. It's poor form to change it upon people who have no opt-out option.

And why must we vote with our feet? Expressing our discontent vocally is equally effective, and then we can still enjoy the rest of the experience.

Separately, for those who fall for iluvships's constant refrain that NCL is just collecting DSC, remember that's just 1 person repeating the same thing over & over. It doesn't make it true.

Stephen

This holier than thou attitude is why I'm on NCL's side during this. No other reason.

It's not "unacceptable" for them to change a rule. It's poor form to change it upon people who have no opt-out option.

And why must we vote with our feet? Expressing our discontent vocally is equally effective, and then we can still enjoy the rest of the experience.

Separately, for those who fall for iluvships's constant refrain that NCL is just collecting DSC, remember that's just 1 person repeating the same thing over & over. It doesn't make it true.

Stephen

One should vote with their feet if this is a large issue for them or if it's the straw that finally broke the camel's back. While this change doesn't impact me greatly it is something that will be taken into consideration when choosing future cruises, just as all of NCL's other policies are. I agree that the notice period should have been longer (and if it was really for security then only banning bottles and not a total ban).

In the scheme of things in life, does this really rank amongst the top 10 things? I am certain that if NCL announced that everyone had to start bringing their own water for their cruise, the same people would be outraged. :rolleyes:

That being said, the policy should not have been thrust upon people who had already agreed to the "contract", and made their final payment.

Stephen

I don't understand why you believe Forewatch post was holier than thou . Nor do I understand why you post " for those who fall for iluvships's constant refrain that NCL is just collecting DSC " .They don't ?

Finally I'm not sure about the idea that "Expressing our discontent vocally is equally effective " to cancellations . Really ? You believe NCL will be moved to respond by angry words rather then a drop in Bookings ? 3 words , Talk is cheap !

I used to think NCL didn't nickel and dime and even tell those who thought so that other cruiselines charge for the same things. That has changed. Now but that NCL charges for more things that others do not, (dining a la carte, room service to name 2), yes they do indeed nickel and dime.

Where do you think most of the bottled water comes from? If you said your tap, you would be right. It's, again, mostly a marketing ploy. There are a few that are spring water, but most of it comes from the local tap, good or bad. There is no regulation.

Where do you think most of the bottled water comes from? If you said your tap, you would be right. It's, again, mostly a marketing ploy. There are a few that are spring water, but most of it comes from the local tap, good or bad. There is no regulation.

How is that relevant?

Don't forget...the person who labels people as "cheerleaders" is nothing more than a "hater".

The person who labels people as "defenders" is nothing more than an "attacker".

Labels are handy when the facts don't support your position and you need to, as they say, "shoot the messenger" to get your point across.

Oh - you forgot calling posters a "troll", and he accuses people of lying. :cool:

Did not NCL start charging for upcharges in the MDR?

Does NCL not charge for some of their better entertainment? Other cruise lines never charge anything for any entertainment venue.

No charge for taking pictures? How nice!

EVERY cruise line and EVERY vacation resort nickel and dimes their customers. Some are worse than others. Why should NCL be immune from criticism or discussing it?

I stay at Hilton resorts all over the country. They are even worse for nickel and diming than NCL. They have a huge outdoor parking lot but they charge you to park your car, even on your own. They add $10 "resort" fee to your bill every night of your stay. In a sense they are charging you to use the pool, hot tubs, bikes, etc even if you never use any of it. The resort "fee" entitles you to one free appetizer each day. However no drinks are included so the resort actually makes money because most people would order drinks to go with their appetizer (pure genius on their part). They charge you for internet service. They charge you extra if you bring a dog. The list goes on and on. If this was a hotel forum, would it not be fair to discus these extra charges without some going crazy and leaping to defend Hilton resorts?

Get the idea?

I'm ok with the upcharges in the MDR. I can order a lobster or filet without going to a specialty restaurant. Of course, back in the day, those items were given for free. :(

I don't like the extra charges for Cirque, or the other dinner shows. The food is lousy. I would love to have the option to see the show without the meal charge, and then have dinner elsewhere.

So ... the people who serve drinks to those in suites shouldn't be compensated as well? The 18 percent gratuity is waved for suite members.

I'm sure I'm not the only suite passenger who tips regardless if it is included/waived or not. Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm sure I'm not the only suite passengers who tips regardless if it is included/waived or not.

I'm sure you aren't. We tip our bar staff even though we already paid the 18%. I'm certain a lot of folks do too!

In the scheme of things in life, does this really rank amongst the top 10 things? I am certain that if NCL announced that everyone had to start bringing their own water for their cruise, the same people would be outraged. :rolleyes:

That being said, the policy should not have been thrust upon people who had already agreed to the "contract", and made their final payment.

For me, yes.. It's among the top ten things. Once again, for me it's not about the money. For me it's literally having nothing available that I will drink as I don't drink bottled tap water.. Only spring water from a reliable source.. Nor do I drink soda, juice full of chemicals or alcohol. NCL has literally left me with no options.

Which is why I only drink Mountain Valley Bottled water.. Which is not available on NCL. You just made my case.

For me, yes.. It's among the top ten things. Once again, for me it's not about the money. For me it's literally having nothing available that I will drink as I don't drink bottled tap water.. Only spring water from a reliable source.. Nor do I drink soda, juice full of chemicals or alcohol. NCL has literally left me with no options.

So, if you take a filter and filter it yourself, that won't work for you?

How is Mountain Valley different? Fish in that water are potty-trained? : )

Edited by Larlin

Just a few examples:

$7.95 fee for room service

$22.95 + 18% for a 6 pk of water

Free UBP or UDP but you have to pay the 18% service charge.

All the mass market cruise lines have extra charges for some things, but NCL takes it to a whole nuther level.

I sailed on the Breakaway last September and had the UBP with out the gratuity add on. In my opinion, and I mean in my opinion......I think they added in the tip charge on future package because people DID NOT tip when they got a drink so therefore the bartenders missed out on a great amount of tip money. I am hoping that the money we pay now on the UBP does go to the workers. I have booked 2 more cruises with NCL in the future and do not mind paying the 18 per cent charge. It is still cheaper than drinking all week. PS. I am not a heavy drinker just like to have a cocktails on vacation and try new drinks.

I'm ok with the upcharges in the MDR. I can order a lobster or filet without going to a specialty restaurant. Of course, back in the day, those items were given for free.

They probably stopped the free lobster and filet because people were so greedy. Most of the people that complain are the ones that said"I used to get 7 or 10 lobster tails on lobster night". I love lobster and I enjoyed it on the cruise, but I am not going to let it spoil my week because I don' get it for free. Believe me you don't starve on cruises

I don't know the exact business model but maybe they are salaried workers in the suites and don't rely on tips as much for their source of income.

Maybe it goes to the workers in the form of a bonus at the end of their contract.

Think about it, at my job, another lady and myself do the exact same job. She is hourly and I am salary simply because I have been here longer and have earned it.

I have looked through the company's financial statements and annual report and I didn't find a detailed compensation plan...they are not required to file one.

No, I am not criticizing them because they had nothing to do with the decision or the policy or whatever. I for one see the difference between the fat cats in the board room and the staff and I think most people can see that difference also.

Yes, you are because you don't know who actually proposed or made this decision. I guarantee, no C or E level executive proposed this and they certainly didn't draft the policy. That was done by a group of mid-level staffers or managers working with their equivalents at the terminal and onboard. These are the people I know.

I'd be genuinely stunned if Board level involvement went beyond a PowerPoint slide.

And you have no idea why they did this either. Maybe it was a problem at the terminal. Maybe the Porters complained. Maybe there was a theft problem on the ships. Do we all roll out eyes when Marketing says it was for 'security', sure, but I think it's more likely this was done for the crew.

Yes, you are because you don't know who actually proposed or made this decision. I guarantee, no C or E level executive proposed this and they certainly didn't draft the policy. That was done by a group of mid-level staffers or managers working with their equivalents at the terminal and onboard. These are the people I know.

I'd be genuinely stunned if Board level involvement went beyond a PowerPoint slide.

And you have no idea why they did this either. Maybe it was a problem at the terminal. Maybe the Porters complained. Maybe there was a theft problem on the ships. Do we all roll out eyes when Marketing says it was for 'security', sure, but I think it's more likely this was done for the crew.

Del Rio bragged about raising the price of Pepsi 20 cents because passengers are a captive audience and if they want a soda they are going to buy it. To me that is indicative of micromanagement to an obscene degree (and many industry articles do attest to Del Rio's micromanagement style). A mid-level staffer may have recommended a policy change but it was approved at the highest level. Your friends may be making the recommendations and I don't blame them for that, they are doing their job in the environment they are in (heck, if I were working there I'd probably be making the same recommendations in order to save my job).

If we are going to switch from discussing nickel and diming to discussing the new beverage policy I will only say that soda and water have been allowed onboard for decades and only now have become a problem? Nope, NCL saw CCL change their policy (because CCL does have a significant smuggling problem) and doubled down by banning everything all in an effort to increase onboard revenue. Again, that might have been a suggestion made by a mid-level staffer but the blame still goes to those in the board room since the decision in the end was theirs.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to maximize profit, that's what business is for and it doesn't make NCL evil for doing this. But I will acknowledge that one has a greater opportunity for optional spending on NCL than with any other line.

I have to disagree here. I work with C Execs everyday in a very large company. Trust me, the project may have been championed by VP or SVP, but the C Execs played a greater role than a PP. C Execs know every detail about major changes in the company - no, they may not monitor it themselves... their direct reports (SVPs) are advising them daily on changes.

In addition, they are most likely hearing about the push back (although direct reports tend to "soften" the effect for the C Exec). What the C Execs are really waiting for is word that competitors are following suit. If competitors choose to implement the same rules, then NCL is establishing themselves as the "leader". I see this often at work and the inside joke is that their reaction to a competitor following suit is almost as if their appendage grew 2".

I'm ok with the upcharges in the MDR. I can order a lobster or filet without going to a specialty restaurant. Of course, back in the day, those items were given for free.

They probably stopped the free lobster and filet because people were so greedy. Most of the people that complain are the ones that said"I used to get 7 or 10 lobster tails on lobster night". I love lobster and I enjoyed it on the cruise, but I am not going to let it spoil my week because I don' get it for free. Believe me you don't starve on cruises

I was going back WAY further than that. Whole Maine Lobster was served in the main dining room. It was an upscale vacation, back in the day. There are many more differences, but also, the price is much, much cheaper now.

NCL saw CCL change their policy (because CCL does have a significant smuggling problem) and doubled down by banning everything all in an effort to increase onboard revenue.

CCL did not ban everything. In addition to allowing wine and champagne they allow canned products - they banned water and soda bottles due to the smuggling problem. You are welcome to being a 12 pack of cans for each person - although they won't stop you from bringing a little more, they may stop you from boarding with a few cases.