Explorer Pre Maiden photos

Wes,

Omg. Beyond fantastic.

Cruise has been excellent. Excursions as expected. Not a chaos getting on busses from theater. Service good, similar to SS. Didn't care for only show we saw. Stayed 4 minutes. Not my thing.

Everyone is nice, crew and guests. But guests are all agents, media etc.

Please see note from Lawrence a few minutes ago on his dining experience in Pacific Rim:

Is Asian restaurant on Explorer. By far best meal. Omg. Omg omg.

We were 4 and this would have been $1000 in a restaurant and that's no booze.

I'll leave you with the best lamb chop ever and some amazing miso cod.

66e7e218a7220bafd243787db84790d3.jpg2158dcd8642143a6ae1e28ce0ccebc7e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by WesW

Miso Cod is a Red Ginger recipe on Oceania.

Kathryn Kelly is exceptional - she opened the cooking program on Oceania. As much as I liked the Cordon Bleu classes on Regent, the Oceania are more practical.

The kitchen is quite the same as Riviera and Marina.

I understand that Miso Black Cod was originally developed by Nobu Matsuhisa for his NOBU restaurants, in the early 1990's. It remains his signature dish to this day.

Similar dishes are now commonplace, in fact a well known London salmon smoker & fish supplier - Formans - supplies many restaurants with their version of the dish.

I'd be interested to know if the Regent version is Black Cod, rather than common Cod. The former is from an entirely different breed of fish otherwise known as Sablefish. If Regent have this on board I will be very impressed, not least because it is at least 5 times the cost !

If it isn't Black Cod they are using perhaps they can source some before our cruise on Explorer next March :)

I understand that Miso Black Cod was originally developed by Nobu Matsuhisa for his NOBU restaurants, in the early 1990's. It remains his signature dish to this day.

Similar dishes are now commonplace, in fact a well known London salmon smoker & fish supplier - Formans - supplies many restaurants with their version of the dish.

I'd be interested to know if the Regent version is Black Cod, rather than common Cod. The former is from an entirely different breed of fish otherwise known as Sablefish. If Regent have this on board I will be very impressed, not least because it is at least 5 times the cost !

If it isn't Black Cod they are using perhaps they can source some before our cruise on Explorer next March :)

Interesting background on this dish. Regent's version is Sea Bass rather than Cod (it used to be Chilean Sea Bass - not sure if it still is -- it is quite a thick piece of fish.

Interesting background on this dish. Regent's version is Sea Bass rather than Cod (it used to be Chilean Sea Bass - not sure if it still is -- it is quite a thick piece of fish.

WesW/Lawrence posting No.54 above mentions Cod :confused:

Notwithstanding this I'm sure the Miso marinade/dressing also tastes good on Sea Bass :)

Black Cod (Sablefish) and Atlantic Cod don't taste much alike. Black Cod and Chilean Sea Bass (Patagonian Toothfish) do taste very much alike. Black Cod is both more sustainable and less expensive. The delicious sweetness and the texture are very, very close. I've made Miso-glazed using both, and I now use only Black Cod (and only when it's very, very fresh). An excellent restaurant near us also uses the Black Cod. It's as good as the dish I often have on Regent. Whether it's the Sea Bass or the Black Cod, who knows. I hope it's the latter. Thanks for posting those yummy photos!

WesW/Lawrence posting No.54 above mentions Cod :confused:

Notwithstanding this I'm sure the Miso marinade/dressing also tastes good on Sea Bass :)

Sorry - guess they are serving Cod on the Explorer. Regent regularly serves Miso Glazed Sea Bass on the other ships. I'll have to try the Cod and see what it is like.

The photos make pretty clear that this ship is designed with the very wealthy in mind. (As Seinfeld would say: "Not that there's anything wrong with that.") Of course, what "very wealthy" means probably differs in each person's mind, but I imagine (could be mistaken) that the demographics on the Explorer will likely be somewhat different from the passenger "profile" on Regent's other ships. This ship is not aimed at the "average" (whatever that means) luxury traveler. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

In any case, she sure does look gorgeous. Thanks to everyone who's posting and happy sails to all.

Chilean Sea Bass was restricted because it was over harvested and became endangered. This dish is a signature dish in Silk Road on Crystal, which is a Nobu restaurant

IMO, the black cod is THE BEST menu item on Crystal. Hope the Regent version is nearly as good.

The photos make pretty clear that this ship is designed with the very wealthy in mind. (As Seinfeld would say: "Not that there's anything wrong with that.") Of course, what "very wealthy" means probably differs in each person's mind, but I imagine (could be mistaken) that the demographics on the Explorer will likely be somewhat different from the passenger "profile" on Regent's other ships. This ship is not aimed at the "average" (whatever that means) luxury traveler. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

In any case, she sure does look gorgeous. Thanks to everyone who's posting and happy sails to all.

The ship looks so luxurious in photographs that it is easy to assume that it was designed with the very wealthy in mind. IMO, the Regent Suite is definitely not for the typical Regent passengers. On the other hand, pricing for some Explorer cruises are actually less money than on the other ships (those are the ones that we are booked on:)) For instance, the suite we are booked into for the maiden Explorer Crossing in November and the crossings in March and November 2017 are considerably less expensive than the Voyager cruise we will be doing in 2018 (and most Voyager or Mariner cruises in 2017).

I won't be able to figure out if the passengers are similar to those on a "typical" Regent cruise since the Christening Cruise (am currently in the lounge in Vancouver waiting to board our first flight) are almost all TA's, investors, employees and friends and family of Regent employees. I'll get a better feel for the ship in November (where, BTW, we have the best group of CC'ers on Roll Call that I have ever seen -- all friendly -- everyone gets along well).

In any case, according to a dear friend that you met onboard the Mariner, you would fit in anywhere. Hopefully you will like the photos of the category "H" suites on the Explorer.

Thank you, Tc.

I have another question for you if you can find the time to answer (but, obviously, no one wants you to spend your entire time running around trying to detail everything for us tongue-hanging-out folks on dry land. Enjoy!!)

When I looked on the Regent website to try to get some sense of what the H and G suites were like, I found it curious to find the following: "Suite measurements are approximate and those in the same category may vary slightly in size. They may also have different furniture placement." Huh? It'd seem odd not to really know what one was getting. Or to find that some suites in the same category were in various ways more pleasing than others. I guess that as sometimes happens, people will be asking others for "best room" suggestions. Usually that means most quiet or most sea-worthy and such. But with Explorer it seems it may mean more than that. If you can get a handle on what these variations might be, that'd be great. But no doubt it'll take a while for such things to sort themselves out so that passengers can know the ship as intimately as some now know the Tried-and-True Regent ships. Here's to the T&T-- and to its grand new sibling.

Edited by poss

poss, I'll definitely try to find out the information. I know that on the Riviera the dimensions were variable. My TA helped us decipher the suites. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask. (We should be boarding in less than an hour....... really excited:-)

Thank you, Tc.

I have another question for you if you can find the time to answer (but, obviously, no one wants you to spend your entire time running around trying to detail everything for us tongue-hanging-out folks on dry land. Enjoy!!)

When I looked on the Regent website to try to get some sense of what the H and G suites were like, I found it curious to find the following: "Suite measurements are approximate and those in the same category may vary slightly in size. They may also have different furniture placement." Huh? It'd seem odd not to really know what one was getting. Or to find that some suites in the same category were in various ways more pleasing than others. I guess that as sometimes happens, people will be asking others for "best room" suggestions. Usually that means most quiet or most sea-worthy and such. But with Explorer it seems it may mean more than that. If you can get a handle on what these variations might be, that'd be great. But no doubt it'll take a while for such things to sort themselves out so that passengers can know the ship as intimately as some now know the Tried-and-True Regent ships. Here's to the T&T-- and to its grand new sibling.

Poss,

The language you quote is not exclusive to the Explorer. It appears for every suite on every Regent ship and has been present for a few years at least. It is preemptive legal boilerplate designed to counter complaints, for example, that a suite or bacony was slightly smaller than indicated on the website or that a suite did not look exactly like its picture on the website. The quoted language has not been problematical on the other Regent ships you have saied and shouldn't lead to problems picking a suite on the Explorer.