Crab Shack

majortom10

Anyone done this recently on Caribbean Princess what is the cost and was it worth the money.

We had it for free as a promotion on the Crown. It was okay but I would have been upset if I had paid extra for it. The crab legs in the main dining room were just as good. There were only about 3 tables of people when we were there and I think they all had the free promotion. I wouldn't do it again.

We had it for free as a promotion on the Crown. It was okay but I would have been upset if I had paid extra for it. The crab legs in the main dining room were just as good. There were only about 3 tables of people when we were there and I think they all had the free promotion. I wouldn't do it again.

We did not have a good experience on our April TA. The King Crab crab legs were considerably smaller, more like Snow Crab, than the crab we experienced on the Ruby. I would be reluctant to try again on any ship, primarily because there was over an hour wait between the soup and the main course. The explanation was that the kitchen area was small. Of course, our meal could have been the exception.

We went to the Crab Shack on the Crown. It was good, they gave us too much to eat. Tons of crab legs but it was a lot of work to get to the meat. We were enjoying the meal when a group of 4 loud mouthed people showed up. They were loud, drunk and obnoxious. We left with food still in the center of the table. Next time, we'll insist on being seated where no one will bug us. We'll be on the Caribbean Princess in October so maybe we'll give it another try.

Edited by elliair

We enjoyed the Crab Shack on our last cruise on the CB. We had a lot of on-board credit to use up, so we tried four different dining options. The other three were Sabatini's, the Crown Grill, and the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. The Crab Shack was probably my least favorite, but I enjoyed it. The only really bad thing to me was the inedible hushpuppies. The desserts also seemed to be lackluster compared to the choices at Sabatini's and the Crown Grill.

Here is the review I posted when we tried it over a year ago:

So where do I start about how good the crab shack was?

First, my hat goes off to F&B supervisor Dan who was running the Crab Shack. DW does not eat anything from the ocean. I on the other hand could eat it every meal. When I asked Dan if it would be possible for her to sit with me while I had dinner he didn't hesitate to say yes. He even said she could feel free to go to the buffet and bring it back to the table any time she wanted to. He was so very warm and welcoming it was a great first impression.

The atmosphere was fun with Crab Shack branded paper table cloths. I posted the menu earlier.

The appetizers were good, and they bring a large pot of what you ordered with all the necessary tools and a branded Crab Shack cloth apron that covers to your knees.

I got the Emerils pot and it was delicious. The seasoning they used is so flavorful and unlike anything else I have ever had. I compare it to Joes Crab Shack but 10x better.

The desert was apple pie ala mode and was good.

The service was excellent. We went at 6 right when they opened and there were only a handful of people there when we left at about 645.

The bill came in the form of a handwritten bar tab and didn't even have a space for gratuity.

The crab shack will now be a permanent must have on my future cruises as long as it's offered.

We had it on Royal 2x and both cruises looked forward to it. It was a very nice meal for the money. It was $25, now $29. Still worth it. We could not eat all the shrimp they have in the pot. Crab was excellent. Desert, if you have room was just OK but later in the evening you can get something at another venue.

Anyone done this recently on Caribbean Princess what is the cost and was it worth the money.

The cost is now $29/pp, same as the Crown Grill and Sabatini's. It was raised from $20/pp a few months ago.

In early May on the CB is was still $20.

I do not know the current price.

Crab Shack is priced same as Crown Grill. Like another poster here, we tried it on the April TA and were tremendously disappointed. For that price, I'd want something more than a few crab legs and an atmosphere that totally lacked character. We had high hopes for this, but it just didn't pan out. That said, the British Pub days were great fun. I do hope they bring back Sabatini's. Curtis Stone's "Share" which we did not try, was not getting good reviews...

Never went to it but on nights we ate at the buffet and the crab shack was open it was always full. I even heard people asking buffet stewards when the next ones are. Guess they are doing something right....

Not being an expert on crab, I enjoyed the Crab Shack at $20 but don't think it's as worthwhile for us now that it's the same $29 as Crown Grill & Sabatini's.

Being inexperienced at cracking crab legs, my wife assisted me but there's a good reason why they provide aprons because it can get messy. :p

With a considerable amount of complimentary OBC on our next cruise (15 day Hawaii) we may go again to the Crab Shack but not sure if we'd pay $29 for it.

Not being an expert on crab, I enjoyed the Crab Shack at $20 but don't think it's as worthwhile for us now that it's the same $29 as Crown Grill & Sabatini's.

Being inexperienced at cracking crab legs, my wife assisted me but there's a good reason why they provide aprons because it can get messy. :p

With a considerable amount of complimentary OBC on our next cruise (15 day Hawaii) we may go again to the Crab Shack but not sure if we'd pay $29 for it.

If it's $29 now they can keep it. I would do it if you got more than one pot but for $19 I thought it was worth it.

That's too bad.

Had Crab Shack on Ruby Alaska cruise and wasn't impressed with taste quality. Had the King and Shrimp, shrimp over cooked, crab lack flavor. Dining room crab and shrimp tasted better. Quantity was good and you could get seconds also, bet one bucket was enough. If in Juneau, Tracy's Crab Shack is kick ass, crab fresh and flavorful, also chowder better than Pike's (Seattle) Chowder, and crab cakes. Thought on board Crab Shack was a replica of Tracy's, but Princess need to long ways to go. Maybe fresh cooked per order or I had an off night. Crown Grill is better for the money.

We did the crab shack several years ago when it was first introduced and as I remember it was $19/each at the time. It was held in a section of the HC and was not real popular at the time. The crab legs were so so but the shrimp were good. There was corn on the cob and potatoes so that I reminded me of a shrimp boil. They brought it out in a bucket that they set in the center of the table and you just dig in. At the time they were going around the HC with a menu pushing it so we decided to give it a try. We have not done it since. We get fresh shrimp living on the gulf coast all the time and love them.