Mahogany Bay

CozGurl

Is this a CCL private island like Harvest Caye is to NCL?

No...it is an onshore, dockside shopping and beach venue that Carnival Corp developed ($30 million) on a 30 year lease from the property owner.

The location is somewhat tenuous for large ships. This results in a missed port call several times a year due to high winds (depending on the ship and the captains evaluation of risk).

NCL and RCCL/Celebrity use the downtown dock location called Coxen Hole.

Edited by thinfool

Mahogany Bay is attached to Rotan and is a shopping/food/bar area with a beach a little walk away. Google "map Mahogany Bay Rotan" and you should get at least one map of the shopping area. Tours all leave from there.

Mahogany Bay is a port built by the cruise line - on the island of Roatan. Roatan is a great island - I would highly suggest getting out of the port (Mahogany Bay) and see more of the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Donoiv11

Is it safe on the island?

About as safe as any of the islands as long as you stay away from the drug peddlers. I highly recommend hiring a driver through Victor Bodden if you want to really see the island. The big problem with Mahogany Bay is that they won't let the other tour operators into the pier area, so you have to pay for a taxi ride up the hill to meet them, or be prepared to hoof it. At least in Coxen Hole all of the tour operators are right there by the parking lot.

We did not care for the beach at Mahogany Bay at all. It was wall to wall people with 2 ships in that day. The loungers were pretty broken down and the floats smelled of body odor so bad we didn't dare use them. The water had a horrible oil sheen. We paid $50.00 for the package and spent most of our time standing in line to get our stuff and then standing in line again to get my license back after returning the floats. We spent all of 15 minutes on the beach.

If you want a nice beach then make arrangements to go over to West Bay to Tabyana or Bananarama or go to one of the hotels.

Is it safe on the island?

After many pleasureable port visits, we stayed on the island for 2 different weeks of land vacations at Infinity Bay Hotel on West Bay Beach (next to Tabayana).

We got out and about on the island, especially when those pesky day trippers from the cruise ships weren't crowding the roads. LOL

We circumnaviagted the island one day, doing a canoe trip through the mangroves on the East End, and stopping at two different resorts/vacation hotels for snacks and lunch. WE visited Little Fench Key on a Sunday so it was almost deserted, shopped at the modern Eldon's for victuals to bring back to our hotel room, and every night walked West Bay Beach bargaining for the best dinner values at the various beach restuarants, including Bite on the Beach, Fosters, Bananarama, Boho's, The Vintage Pearl and a few others.

Never had a problem. We didn't get drunk, didn't flash money or jewelry, didn't go looking for drugs or trouble, and stayed in either tourist areas, repat favorites, or main roads. Used Bronx street smarts and un piquetto Espanol, no problem.

Edited by evandbob

We used Ronys Tours. All non cruise line tours have to wait outside the security gate. I was told I could walk the road to the gate, 5-10 minutes, or get a cab for $3.00pp. My Mom uses a transport chair. I don't think even without the chair the walk would have been fun. Our drive for the day was excellent, saw the island, Iguanas, flea market and a lot of sights. Caution, watch out for the "white lighting" at the flea market..Wooooo

A friend went to the beach at Mahogany and said he didn't need sunscreen. Just jump in the water and rub the water all over yourself. Presto, instant coverage. Gross.

We did not care for the beach at Mahogany Bay at all. It was wall to wall people with 2 ships in that day. The loungers were pretty broken down and the floats smelled of body odor so bad we didn't dare use them. The water had a horrible oil sheen. We paid $50.00 for the package and spent most of our time standing in line to get our stuff and then standing in line again to get my license back after returning the floats. We spent all of 15 minutes on the beach.

If you want a nice beach then make arrangements to go over to West Bay to Tabyana or Bananarama or go to one of the hotels.

We have been to the beach about 5x and liked it.

Thought the water was ok and plenty of chairs including ones in shaded areas

We did a ship's tour - Sea and See Tour - with a semi-sub ride, time to explore the West End Village, rum cake factory, and then the cameo factory.

We felt it was worth the money - it's not an adventure tour :D but was just the overview of the island we were looking for.

No one has mentioned Little French Key. It's truly PARADISE. Dave and Larry will meet you just outside the gate and get you safely to the boat that's waiting to take you to the island. Then, when you're ready to leave there are taxis waiting.

No one has mentioned Little French Key. It's truly PARADISE. Dave and Larry will meet you just outside the gate and get you safely to the boat that's waiting to take you to the island. Then, when you're ready to leave there are taxis waiting.

I guess you didn't read my post above - We went on 2 different Sundays, got picked up from our hotel and it was lovely - no mob of cruisers to deal with, LOL, maybe only 15 - 20 others on the entire key.

we did victor boden tours. http://boddentours.com/ very cheap and it is basically you have a private van and tour guide and go anywhere you want. you also go to victors monkey business which is great. before i booked i emailed company several times with questions. i always received quick returned emails with answers and it was from victor boden himself. the day we arrived there were strong winds and we couldn't dock at mahogany bay so the ship docked at coxen hole instead. i was worried about this. but when we got off the ship our driver knew the port change and was waiting for us. very professional business.

Is this a CCL private island like Harvest Caye is to NCL?

It's a small secured fenced in area on the island with local vendors. Yes CCL has stated the cost to be 62 million to build. It is a nice place and is very safe but we prefer the old port Coxen Hole it shows the real island and people. here are a few pics

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

Here are a few from Coxen Hole

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0627-1.jpg

What is there to do in the complex of where the ship docks? My DW has severe anxiety and want it to be safe for her after all it's her vacation and don't want her to worry.

What is there to do in the complex of where the ship docks? My DW has severe anxiety and want it to be safe for her after all it's her vacation and don't want her to worry.

Basically a shopping area and a beach.