SAS airlines

TeanneTX

I've been trolling the Matrix site for our Baltics cruise in May '17 and there are some decent deals on SAS for premium economy (my preferred is business on BA-but so far its pretty pricey). So my question is about SAS airlines-I've never even heard of it. Anyone fly them and what is your opinion.

Teanne

So my question is about SAS airlines-I've never even heard of it.
Fundamentally, it's the joint national airline of Denmark, Norway and Sweden - SAS is an abbreviation of Scandinavian Airlines System - and it's the largest airline in Scandinaviia. It's a full member of the Star Alliance.

Fundamentally, it's the joint national airline of Denmark, Norway and Sweden - SAS is an abbreviation of Scandinavian Airlines System - and it's the largest airline in Scandinaviia. It's a full member of the Star Alliance.

If you book with United you will end up on them if you go via AMS for the AMS-CPH leg of the trip. . (They will stick you on LH if you go via FRA or MUC)

BA or a combo of AA and BA will send you via LHR to CPH.

We have flown SAS interEurope and found no significant difference between it and other European mainline carriers we have flown. I would not hesitate to book them again and will probably use them in '17.

They do seem to have very reasonable fares particularly those booked far in advance or in special promotions. Our fares in '14 were actually less expensive than the low cost carriers when you consider included luggage and other fees. We are fairly easy going and had no problem with the "last minute" seat selection which was based on the fare we booked.

If you book with United you will end up on them if you go via AMS for the AMS-CPH leg of the trip. . (They will stick you on LH if you go via FRA or MUC)

That has been our experience in conjunction with 4 different UA flights.

We have flown SAS interEurope and found no significant difference between it and other European mainline carriers we have flown. I would not hesitate to book them again and will probably use them in '17.

Agree.

Edited by capriccio

We actually flew SAS across the pond from CPH about 8 years ago in premium economy and I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that the seat actually had a leg rest so I could elevate my legs.

We actually flew SAS across the pond from CPH about 8 years ago in premium economy and I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that the seat actually had a leg rest so I could elevate my legs.

US based carriers are way behind the curve when it comes to premium econ.

We took PE on SAS for our Baltic Cruise in the summer of 2014. Did not find the seats that much bigger and do not remember the food but the PE seating was up front. The best part was on our return-cruise ended in Stockholm and we had a wait in the airport for a flight to Copenhagen for our return to the US. There is a lounge for PE as well as for Business and First Class with lots of good food, drinks, computers, kid play area, etc. We enjoyed our time there. We did not have time to see if there is a similar lounge in Copenhagen. It was a real plus.

Have flown PE SAS. Their seats are larger and far more comfortable than their regular economy seats. It is a separate class of service with the seating in a separate section between business and regular coach. They have their own dining and drinks options, a big upgrade from coach again. Definitely worth the price, imo. A nice airlines.

They fly non stop from both Copenhagen and Stockholm to EWR, which ties into the UA hub there. I would consider, if possible, booking the flight on SAS, in lieu of UA, since you can then do seat selection on the longer haul over the pond. UA is currently not allowing seat selection on SAS flights, and if booked on UA, SAS won't allow you to choose your seats until 24 hours prior to boarding.

Have flown PE SAS. Their seats are larger and far more comfortable than their regular economy seats. It is a separate class of service with the seating in a separate section between business and regular coach. They have their own dining and drinks options, a big upgrade from coach again. Definitely worth the price, imo. A nice airlines.

They fly non stop from both Copenhagen and Stockholm to EWR, which ties into the UA hub there. I would consider, if possible, booking the flight on SAS, in lieu of UA, since you can then do seat selection on the longer haul over the pond. UA is currently not allowing seat selection on SAS flights, and if booked on UA, SAS won't allow you to choose your seats until 24 hours prior to boarding.

I've booked several flights lately on Star Alliance airlines through the United site (ANA, Lufthansa) and have been able to book my seats on the flying airline site as I've gotten a United booking number and a ANA/Lufthansa booking number.

US based carriers are way behind the curve when it comes to premium econ.

American Airlines will introduce Premium Economy on their new 787-9 (not 787-8) aircraft that will debut this fall on Dallas to Sao Paulo and Dallas to Madrid routes. Other than that, no other airline in the US has Premium Economy, so as a country our airlines are definitely behind the curve.

(And for those wondering, products like United's "Economy Plus" or American's "Main Cabin Extra" are not Premium Economy products...they're just economy with a few extra inches of legroom)