Oceania Cruises Close to Cuba Approval

LauraS

From friends that were recently there. Havana/Cuba does not have the infrastructure to handle large swaths of people from cruise ships. If the expectations are to just get off the boat and wander around, visiting the city on your own, that's fine. If you think you'll be meet with large tour buses taking you on guided tours around the city and across the countryside, you'll probably be disappointed. It will be interesting, even for the O tours, how many passengers they will be able to accommodate. Will the suites get first crack at those tours?

We've just booked the Marina cruise with the overnight in March, haven't had time to do any research yet. DH wants to know about safety in Havana.

Pet Pit Noy,

We have been to many Caribbean islands including Jamaica with her annoying hawkers. We never had any issues. If I make a list for comparison purposes, where on the scale of safety (pick pockets, hawkers) is Havana? More like (wealthy) Grand Cayman and St. Barths? Or ok like poor but pious Saint Lucia? Or rather like the Dominican Republic where locals put metal cages around their balconies and entrances?

I never worried about safety issues, and I would not expect things to have changed in one year. Of the examples of islands you've provided, none quite fits Havana. Definitely no bars around the balconies and entrances!

I was surprised to witness about four instances of panhandling. My concept of the society was that most citizens were living on very little money, but that everyone got their most limited basic needs covered by the government so there was no need for panhandling. Over the course of several days in Havana, we were approached by a few people offering to sell us a genuine Cuban cigar or a blatant request for money. Each time the encounter was during day light in a busy place populated by locals walking by, sitting in cafes, etc. I never felt worried or unsafe, but I was surprised to encounter even one incident. Interestingly, our Cuban guide was surprised, too, and he said this behavior isn't typical. In the example of the cigar sellers/panhandlers ignoring them typically worked, although once or twice the guide said something. Whatever he said, he got results by talking in a conversational tone of voice, not aggressive or warning.

In one of the plazas in Old Havana, we were listening to our guide talk and two ladies in folkloric dresses kept hovering around the group rather close. They never encroached threateningly so pickpocketing never crossed my mind. Our guide explained that they were hoping someone in our group would be interested in posing for a picture with them. When no one in our group made eye contact or walked over to them, the two ladies simply left.

When we went out to dinner, we typically took a taxi and we never had an incident where we felt overcharged or taken on a circuitous route.

Since the revolution and, especially because of the embargo, Cuba has just been apart from the way most of the world has evolved and that makes it hard to apply familiar examples to tourism. I don't think you need to worry, but I'd still follow the ordinary precautions.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Your time is limited, but there are a couple of things you can do. If your ship docks in Old Havana harbor, you'll really get the most out your short morning. My recommendations:

Do not eat dinner on the ship. Yes, I know you've already paid for your meal, but with limited time in Cuba, I recommend you enjoy dinner ashore at a paladar (private restaurant). Our best meal in Havana was at Paladar los Mercadares located in Old Town. We ordered the stuffed lobster, the signature dish of the restaurant and paid the equivalent of $22. This dish would have cost triple that amount in a high end restaurant anywhere in the world. (Avoid ordering beef. The best beef is imported from Argentina and is very expensive. More reasonably priced domestic beef doesn't match what Americans can get in any grocery store. Pork, fish and shellfish are your best bets for quality in Cuba.)

After dinner, if you still have energy, visit one of the many jazz clubs throughout the city. In Vedado, (the downtown located next to Old Town) La Zorra is good, but be prepared for a late night. The place doesn't open until 10:00 PM. The Tropicana nightclub is famous for its shows recreating the entertainment popular before the revolution -- scanty costumes, huge headdress and all. Very touristy but beloved.

As for the short morning, my suggestion depends on where your ship will be docking. If you will dock in the historic harbor, you will be alongside the Old Town, a fabulous destination. If you're willing be off the ship early, you could spend an amazing couple of hours strolling the streets, admiring the architecture, browsing the flea market. Yes, there are some specific buildings you could target during your time ashore, but, simply strolling will be satisfying.

Incidentally, be sure you find out which requirements are still in effect regarding money and credit card/cell phone use. In 2015, US credit cards were not accepted anywhere and US cell phones didn't work in Cuba. We had to get CUC, the special currency for Cuban tourists and work on a cash-only basis. I have no idea about the current situation.

That, plus - we found Buena Vista Social Club (probably best known) a very entertaining evening although only one or two of the "old timers" are still around. That said, there are many other clubs nowadays:

http://www.lahabana.com/guide/havana-guide-home/bars-clubs/jazz-club/

Also second a meal in one of the paladars - excellent food & value.

Enjoy.

According to my wife, there are plenty of "luxury buses"on the island that have been used by the many companies who have been conducting tours in Cuba for years.

Preferable to go in a vintage car of course.

Try to have a Mojito in the bar in the Hotel Nacional. The experience alone is worth it. Havana history in one delightful place.

Buena Vista Social Club just ok -- but the music is fabulous in Cuba. Hope O offers some opportunities to hear music Cuba is all about the music.

Should read "Any stops in Cuba the US citizens will have to follow US laws". As a Canadian, we could book private tours, taxi to Veradero for a day on the beach etc.

I also thought as a Canadian we would not be guided by American law, however, I spoke to a supervisor at Oceania today and was advised that since I will be sailing on the Marina sailing from an American port on March 31, the rules for Americans visiting Cuba would be applied to myself as a Canuck, so therefore it will cost us an additional 125 US per person plus applicable shore excursion fees.

I booked this cruise based on a different itinerary which was changed by Oceania after booking. Once again, I am very disappointed with this cruiseline and will no longer sail with them.

I also thought as a Canadian we would not be guided by American law, however, I spoke to a supervisor at Oceania today and was advised that since I will be sailing on the Marina sailing from an American port on March 31, the rules for Americans visiting Cuba would be applied to myself as a Canuck, so therefore it will cost us an additional 125 US per person plus applicable shore excursion fees.

I booked this cruise based on a different itinerary which was changed by Oceania after booking. Once again, I am very disappointed with this cruiseline and will no longer sail with them.

Good for you

p1030547-1.jpg

If I were you, I'd show THEM

and cruise Canadian, in future-

So far, Oceania has no excursions yet for Havana. I assume that they are working on it. After all, the announcement of a Havana port stop is only a day old!

We have no problem just walking around a Caribbean port town, did it often and enjoyed it. But Havana is large and a guide would be of great benefit.

Thank you for your response Pit Nit Noy and others!

Edited by Floridiana

Good for you

p1030547-1.jpg

If I were you, I'd show THEM

and cruise Canadian, in future-

Actually Oceania is not an American company but is owned but an Asian holding company. And I was not suggesting that this change of itinerary has anything negative to do in relation to the USA, just disappointed that as Canadians we have been travelling to Cuba for decades and have never required visas, but if we visit with Oceania we will be required to have them if we wish to visit Cuba.

If you haven't made final payment, why not cancel rather than be miserable with the itinerary change? Your only exposure might be the $250. per person administrative fee that may be converted to a Future Cruise Credit (should you reconsider your decision to sail on O in the future).

We second Floridiana in thanking those who have taken the time to share credible information and good advice. Obviously this is new territory for some of us and we're anxious to see how it plays out.

Bitob - The name Hotel Nacional immediately makes me think of GF2. If we get there we'll be certain to have a toast.:D

Actually Oceania is not an American company but is owned but an Asian holding company. And I was not suggesting that this change of itinerary has anything negative to do in relation to the USA, just disappointed that as Canadians we have been travelling to Cuba for decades and have never required visas, but if we visit with Oceania we will be required to have them if we wish to visit Cuba.

So lets not visit Cuba yet. Do not need to go when Castro is still in power. We will see what Trump is able to negotiate when he is in power. Stay at home till then.

as Canadians we have been travelling to Cuba for decades and have never required visas, but if we visit with Oceania we will be required to have them if we wish to visit Cuba.
Canadians require the same entry visa that Americans do to enter Cuba ("Visa - Tarjeta del Turista"), and according to Oceania, part of the $125 per person is the cost of this tourist card, which you must be familiar with from your previous visits to Cuba (unless you have some other sort of Cuban visa). The rest of the charge is supposedly for "Cuba-approved health insurance", so if you already have coverage that is valid in Cuba, and they are still making you pay the $125, that is a valid complaint.

But none of this has anything to do with American law, or being American. These Cuban regulations (about needing an entry visa, and approved health insurance) apply equally to you, as a Canadian.

In reality, the tourist visa costs about $25, and $100 is a ridiculous price for 1 or 2 days of health insurance. So what is really going on, I think, is that Oceania/NCL has paid Cuba a lot of money as part of the deal to send ships there, and they are passing this cost on to passengers. Think of it as a kind of "port fee".

When I first heard that Havana would be included on our itinerary I was thrilled. But after seeing the itinerary changes and now this fee I am needing a moment to reflect. A little wine (and whine) will help.

The rest of the charge is supposedly for "Cuba-approved health insurance", so if you already have coverage that is valid in Cuba, and they are still making you pay the $125, that is a valid complaint.

But none of this has anything to do with American law, or being American. These Cuban regulations (about needing an entry visa, and approved health insurance) apply equally to you, as a Canadian.

It does in that US insurance companies cannot write the insurance. We already have purchased travel insurance and would normally just have to show proof of insurance. Not be forced to buy the additional (useless) coverage.
In reality, the tourist visa costs about $25,
These are normally readily available from the arirline when flying to Cuba from Canada w/o this kind of mark-up
In reality, the tourist visa costs about $25, and $100 is a ridiculous price for 1 or 2 days of health insurance. So what is really going on, I think, is that Oceania/NCL has paid Cuba a lot of money as part of the deal to send ships there, and they are passing this cost on to passengers. Think of it as a kind of "port fee".
I am less generous and think it is NOT $100 for insurance alone but this includes O's mark-up for the service. I experienced this with the visa for Turkey we purchased from O for CDNs vs. USA. (once bit, twice suspicious)

So we have no choice and must pay (O says they will simply be adding it to the reservation) $125 pp or $330 CDN (how many are travelling solo) for a single overnight stay - I don't count the couple of hours the next morning as another day. Remembrances of the often complained of Brazilian reciprocity fee just to disembark and fly out.

And I'm unhappy with the other changes to the itinerary. But we have wanted to go to Cuba (not to a beach resort in Varadero) for a long time now, and while a circumnavigation would be best, a quick taste of Havana before there is a big influx of all the cruise lines is very, very tempting so obviously there has to be a trade-off.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm sure despite my whingeing we will pay for that tourist card & the unneeded insurance and have a wonderful cruise and an exciting visit to Havana. Just have to breathe and let this moment pass.

Sorry hawkeyetlse. Not meaning to argue with your valid post and good points. Just using it to highlight my issues.

This is all still very new, so they may adjust their policy about this $125, or at least change the language they use to justify it. Because lots of people have non-US insurance that already covers them in Cuba. And a few passengers may even hold a passport from a visa-exempt country (Russia, obvs, but also Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, …) They can enter without paying for the tourist card.

My advice for people in either of these situations is to contact Oceania and make sure they're even aware of these issues. Of course they're going to do the easy and profitable thing and charge everyone, unless they get some pushback.

It could be that it's the Cuban authorities saying they don't want to have to check every passenger's individual proof of insurance and they want some kind of blanket coverage for the whole ship. But in that case, (1) Oceania should say that's what's happening; and (2) it should cost a lot less than what they're charging…

We've been to Cuba on a 3-week land trip which covered the entire country followed by a 1-week stay at an AI resort in Varadero. It's a fascinating country with rich culture and vibrant people. I think it's very exciting that cruise lines like Oceania will now begin visiting Cuba, even if their calls will be limited to Havana.

I said this here a few years ago and I'll repeat it again. If you have any free time in Havana, check out the Bacardi Building in the historic centre. It's not on many itineraries but really should be. It's a splendid Art Deco building with bat motifs, original decor, lighting and furnishings from the glory days of the Bacardi family. On the mezzanine level, reached by an old-fashioned elevator, is a tiny but stylish bar, La Barrita, which serves superb mojitos and not-so-special food. Our server was a former University professor who promised us a refund if the mojitos weren't the best. And they were, though made with Havana Club and not Bacardi! La Barrita and the Bacardi Building are special places, even in a city with lots of legendary bars and amazing architecture. It's worth the short trek from the port if you can swing it.

MyCuba cruises do several ports in Cuba & Ponant.... they are not Oceania but for more ports it may be worth looking into

Just saying

Recently received an email blast from our Agent of choice, and it seems to me that the excitement of these preliminary Cuba cruises will be centered upon whom one may be sailing with, as opposed to which ports the cruise will visit-

Nothing has been announced yet, but those predictions have been 'in the ether" for years.

Also just saying

Edited by JimandStan

If you haven't made final payment, why not cancel rather than be miserable with the itinerary change? Your only exposure might be the $250. per person administrative fee that may be converted to a Future Cruise Credit (should you reconsider your decision to sail on O in the future).

We second Floridiana in thanking those who have taken the time to share credible information and good advice. Obviously this is new territory for some of us and we're anxious to see how it plays out.

Bitob - The name Hotel Nacional immediately makes me think of GF2. If we get there we'll be certain to have a toast.:D

Unfortunately since I dislike Oceanias included air, I booked my own air last week, just prior to the itinerary change, so my problem, I am stuck......lesson learned.

I hope we we can leave this bit of political discussion out of CC!

Just my opinion. There are many exiled Cubans here in So. Fl. that are feeling the same way. I just feel that even thou we want to go we can wait a little while longer.

Just my opinion. There are many exiled Cubans here in So. Fl. that are feeling the same way. I just feel that even thou we want to go we can wait a little while longer.

While that si true, whose tomorrow is guaranteed ?

I try to live in the moment as I've had a couple of close calls and do what I want to do now - put off things that are less important.

Perhaps Cuba is not near the top of your bucket list - which is OK.

Live long and in good health :)

While that si true, whose tomorrow is guaranteed ?

I try to live in the moment as I've had a couple of close calls and do what I want to do now - put off things that are less important.

Perhaps Cuba is not near the top of your bucket list - which is OK.

Live long and in good health :)

It is one of the items on our bucket list and I am sure we will get there in the not too distant future. Have been in Russia, have gone to China so I am sure we will get to Cuba also. Just not ready now.

Unfortunately since I dislike Oceanias included air, I booked my own air last week, just prior to the itinerary change, so my problem, I am stuck......lesson learned.

You are stuck with the air but you are not "stuck" with the cruise

Cancel the cruise

Spend the time in Florida or find another cruise that sails in the same time frame as your airfare is booked for

You have options

just disappointed that as Canadians we have been travelling to Cuba for decades and have never required visas, but if we visit with Oceania we will be required to have them if we wish to visit Cuba.

you are incorrect

We did have to have Visa's/tourist cards they were handed out on the plane before landing the cost was hidden in the airfare/package deal pricing

It has been that way for decades

Edited by LHT28

You are stuck with the air but you are not "stuck" with the cruise

Cancel the cruise

Spend the time in Florida or find another cruise that sails in the same time frame as your airfare is booked for

You have options

Yes, we do. Our agent is looking into it for us, although I did check other sailings from Miami and there is little of interest at that time. I think Oceania could have handlesdit in a more customer friendly way, but it is what it is.

In truth I may be off Oceania due to a not so great Med. Cruise we took in November.

you are incorrect

We did have to have Visa's/tourist cards they were handed out on the plane before landing the cost was hidden in the airfare/package deal pricing

It has been that way for decades

I completely forgot about the tourist card, but I did not think it the same as a visa. I guess I stand corrected.