No straighteners/ hairdryers etc

NottsCruiser

You are very welcome suzyed. I needed to get a definitive answer and I definitely got one. I also requested (when I emailed the supervisor back to thank him for his email) that the website reflect that curling irons and flat irons are permitted on board......of course not sure if that will happen but it sure would be nice. I was thinking about sharing the supervisor's email on CC but then I was concerned about getting him or the PCC in some sort of trouble. I can guarantee that I do have the email from him in my possession.

Please do not worry - curling irons and flat irons are allowed....promise:)

Thank you for that response! I saw nowhere in the T&C where they mention hair appliances....they did mention kettles, bottle warmers, etc.

I was bringing mine anyway because I have to have it too! My hair is very curly and I do let it do it's thing sometimes in the hot, humid Florida summers, but want the option of smoothing it out.

Is there anyway that you can post (or forward) the email from the supervisor about these appliances? suzyed at aol

Also found out today from MSC PCC that blow dryers are allowed on board. She said SOME cabins have them in there but if the cabin doesn't have one in there I could ask at the front desk.......

For sure I will take my own blow dryer.....

• 1 year later...
Curling iron and hair dryers are allowed on carnival and royal. Is this for real that I can’t bring it on seaside in March out of miami

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It used to be the rule and was printed on the luggage labels that were sent out with the tickets; see the quoted extract from a label,

but now, as of January 2017, they are allowed.

EXTRACT FROM A LUGGAGE LABEL

Guests are advised that MSC

Cruises operates the following

on-board policy with regard to

prohibited items, which include

alcohol (beer, wine, spirits,

champagne, etc.), firearms,

irons, hair straighteners,

weapons and sharp objects. Any

such items found in your

luggage when scanned during

the boarding process will

preclude embarkation. Unless a

guest disposes of such items

themselves at this point, they

will be confiscated and not

returned to the guest, without

exception

THIS IS THE CURRENT RULING (taken from their FAQ on their web site)

hair%20straighteners.jpg

Quote of the area highlighted.

"Hair straighteners and curlers are, however, excepted"

You ladies can rest easy now that they are permitted

Pete

PS

should you require a printout of the new rule it can be found on the link below under USEFUL INFORMATION Then "electrical devices and voltage"

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/en-gb/Manage-Your-Booking/General-Information.aspx

Edited by Skier52

LOL grannyofsix all cabins have a hair drier, if one is missing it is because it has broken, and I cannot remember how many cruises with MSC I have had but always take straighteners. Last cruise in July my cabin steward used to put them away for me after they had cooled. Sheesh the problems of wavy hair.

• 2 months later...
I think there was a thread like this a few months ago and it was settled that curling irons were allowed. I have not heard of any other cruise line banning curling irons (or hair dryers either). Traveling irons, yes.

I have very fine hair. I need a curling iron .... and a lot of hair spray.;)

Back when I booked my first cruise on Royal there were reports on CC they'd fairly recently attempted to ban curling irons and hair straighteners but had had to back off from that stance. I went and looked at their TS which stated no hair dryers or clothing irons but hair curling irons and hair straighteners specifically were allowed at that time so I can't confirm or deny those reports.

As far as it goes all of their ships I've been on have one plug in the bathroom and a spot in there where you could easily set your hair appliance of choice where it shouldn't be able to cause any problem even if you briefly left it plugged in. I would not want to test it by leaving it plugged in for long, but I did forget until I was leaving the cabin once and it was fine. On one of the ship I had to use one of my magnetic hooks to hold the cord as the plug was in the ceiling and so loose just the weight of the cord was enough to keep pulling the plug out even after I'd tried bending the plugs a bit.

I'll be taking my curling iron in my carry on as per usual. Sometimes things don't go to plan so I'll also have my handy backup sponge rollers and round hairbrush. And if all else fails I just wear it up. There are lots and lots of videos of easy updos on youtube. Maybe Op and daughter could try some of those? :)

Back when I booked my first cruise on Royal there were reports on CC they'd fairly recently attempted to ban curling irons and hair straighteners but had had to back off from that stance. I went and looked at their TS which stated no hair dryers or clothing irons but hair curling irons and hair straighteners specifically were allowed at that time so I can't confirm or deny those reports.

As far as it goes all of their ships I've been on have one plug in the bathroom and a spot in there where you could easily set your hair appliance of choice where it shouldn't be able to cause any problem even if you briefly left it plugged in. I would not want to test it by leaving it plugged in for long, but I did forget until I was leaving the cabin once and it was fine. On one of the ship I had to use one of my magnetic hooks to hold the cord as the plug was in the ceiling and so loose just the weight of the cord was enough to keep pulling the plug out even after I'd tried bending the plugs a bit.

I'll be taking my curling iron in my carry on as per usual. Sometimes things don't go to plan so I'll also have my handy backup sponge rollers and round hairbrush. And if all else fails I just wear it up. There are lots and lots of videos of easy updos on youtube. Maybe Op and daughter could try some of those? :)

Don’t plug straighteners in the bathroom! Water and electricity not a good mix!

There was a plug socket by the desk and big mirror on the Divina. Also the hairdryer was in the drawer there.

I would expect the same on the Seaside!

Don’t plug straighteners in the bathroom! Water and electricity not a good mix!

There was a plug socket by the desk and big mirror on the Divina. Also the hairdryer was in the drawer there.

I would expect the same on the Seaside!

The bathroom outlets on Divina were 120v GFI protected, safe to use in damp locations, same as you have in your bathroom and kitchen at home. They work the same way as a RCD outlet in the UK and Europe.

The bathroom outlets on Divina were 120v GFI protected, safe to use in damp locations, same as you have in your bathroom and kitchen at home. They work the same way as a RCD outlet in the UK and Europe.

Would never do it at home either.

Would never do it at home either.

Nikkiw, what voltage do you have at home? Oh Yorkshire, 240v. Yes keep your electrical appliances out of the bathroom.

You're right water and electricity don't mix, just this morning I had to deal with a 347v lighting connector that got wet, blew up then caught fire. However a GFI protected outlet stops water and electricity from mixing, by disconnecting the current if it detects the smallest of current leakages.

Nikkiw, what voltage do you have at home? Oh Yorkshire, 240v. Yes keep your electrical appliances out of the bathroom.

You're right water and electricity don't mix, just this morning I had to deal with a 347v lighting connector that got wet, blew up then caught fire. However a GFI protected outlet stops water and electricity from mixing, by disconnecting the current if it detects the smallest of current leakages.

Also damaging surfaces....

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread. I am sailing on Celebrity Infinity in October. I asked one of their customer service reps if I could bring my hair appliance flat iron and she told me no. She said no curling irons, no flat irons, no blow dryers. She said I could use the provided blow dryer. I’m not happy about this. I’ll be bringing it. If they take it away, I’ll have a plan B by then.

I know this is an old thread. I am sailing on Celebrity Infinity in October. I asked one of their customer service reps if I could bring my hair appliance flat iron and she told me no. She said no curling irons, no flat irons, no blow dryers. She said I could use the provided blow dryer. I’m not happy about this. I’ll be bringing it. If they take it away, I’ll have a plan B by then.

This is the MSC forum, the celebrity forum is in a different place.

I sail Celebrity several times a year. You were given incorrect information. You may certainly bring aboard curling irons, flat irons and blow dryers.

Thank you! I think she was new.

Sent from my iPad using Forums