"Freestyle Cruising" but with major planning?

Nemanoxer

Hi everybody.

September 18th will be my first ever day on an NCL ship (Getaway). Gotta say that I am looking forward very much to how NCL compares to those socalled "premium lines" that I´ve tried before. Especially looking forward to what "Freestyle Cruising" will be to me.

However, I have just taken a closer look into my booking online, also checking out "Explore & Plan". And now I am somewhat confused. As I can see, one can pre-book a lot of or all those surcharged restaurants and events with an exact date and time online. That leads me as a NCL newbie to my first two questions:

1. Do I really have to pre-book these things on NCL Getaway? Can´t I just wake up on board in the morning and feel like I want to do that kind of stuff in the evening? Or is it all possible on board and spontaneously, but pre-bookings bring some kind of advantages?

2. Pre-booked dinings include that 18 % gratuity. Does that mean that I am saving money / saving gratuities if I pre-book those things?

Looking for help and understanding for a NCL first timer, please :confused:

You don't have to book anything at all but, as is the case onshore, if you don't have any bookings you may find that what you want isn't available at the time you want (or sometimes at any time).

Whether this is an issue depends on you. You will still have many different dining options, for example, but maybe not the one that you really want.

What we do is book those things that we really want to do and leave some days free to go with as we please. That way you get the best of both worlds.

If you prebook dining you pay the 18% on top of the states price, so there are no savings compared to if you don't book them.

If you know you are going to eat in three or more speciality restaurants then consider a dining plan which will save a bit of money.

You really don't have to book anything prior to your sailing. It is highly advisable that you do so though, as it guarantees your spot in a dining venue.

The same for shows in the theater. As long as you arrive early enough, you'll have no trouble with seats.

As for your second question, it simply means that you'll prepay the 18% gratuity at the time of the reservation. Meaning, it will not be charged to your onboard account during your cruise.

I would book your major shows and any specialty dinners you absolutely don't want to miss before you get on the ship. Reservations open up 90 days out for regular cabins and 100 days out for suites.

Also, it is often easier to freestyle at the beginning of the cruise. The last day or two everyone is trying to fit in what they haven't gotten to do, so specialty restaurants and shows fill up.

Teppanyaki is one specialty that you definitely want to make reservations. By nature, it is a smaller restaurant and has certain start times. On our last cruise, Cagney's was full for the last night. We didn't try any other restaurants to fill in for that. On other cruises, we have booked both Cagney's and La Cucina the day-of (earlier in the week for Cagney's, mid-cruise for La Cucina).

Can you freestyle the whole week? Yes...but be prepared that you sometimes may not be able to get into certain shows/restaurants. Also, it works best if you can be flexible with your dining times.

Personally, I like booking the two or three main shows and a couple of specialty restaurants before we leave. It gives me some kind of idea of what to expect for the week. But on two of our three cruises we have moved things around once on board and that was really not an issue.

The 18% service charge will be charged to you regardless of when you book the restaurants. There is no discount for pre-booking, but you may save money by purchasing a dining package (if you don't already have one).

If you prefer a specific dining time it is in your best interest to book restaurants pre-cruise or at the very least as soon as you board.

The main dining rooms are the "free style" that isn't used anymore. You can just show up , maybe wait a little , and not be seated with the same people and/or set time.

We are also major planners, and book all our dinners/shows as soon as they open to us. Advice - especially on the Getaway, which we have now been on 2x - if there is a dining place and time you want, or a show you definitely want to see, (Million Dollar Quartet was wonderful, and packed) book it in advance. For the shows, they will open up the standby line 10 minutes before showtime and let people in, if there are seats available.

As far as the restaurants go - by the 2nd night most of the restaurant times from 6-9 p.m. were booked. People with the UDP were quite angry, as they could only get 9:30 dining times if they waited till onboard. We did see walk-ups turned away. We eat at 5:30 (leaves us the rest of the night for shows, Howl at the Moon, etc.) and even those times were booked by the 3rd day! So if you are a planner, I would suggest booking now. Lots of people on the GA, and only a limited # of dining slots! And the line to book the restaurants at Guest Services at boarding was literally across the atrium!

The term "Freestyle" is still in the advertising but seems to be on the way out. I can see that the need to make reservations varies with the ship. We experienced the need to make reservations when on the Getaway. This is complicated as some of the venues can only be booked once on board (comedy club, for instance) while others can be booked 90 days out.

The need to make reservations also varies by cabin type. If you are living the suite life, you can probably get a reservation at the last minute. If you are in the majority, you may need to think more strategically if you want prime time dining times.

No, you don't really have to pre-book everything. The major reason to pre-book shows is so you can choose the seats you like best. But even then, if your party is 1 or 2, finding seats anywhere isn't a huge problem.

I have always been able to enter the comedy shows on standby, even getting a seat second row.

For dinner, it will really depend on the size of your party and where you want to sit. The only place we were told they could not accept a walk-in is the inside patio at La Cuchina. Waterfront at Moderno, Cagney's and Ocean Blue was always available and a great experience.

The Reservations desk, far left of Guest Services, is almost always staffed. Talk to them any time, they'll be happy to make or move any res you have. If you want to check a particular venue, just talk to the hostess.

18% is 18% now matter when you pay it. You are free to increase or decrease that amount on the check though.

No, you don't really have to pre-book everything. The major reason to pre-book shows is so you can choose the seats you like best. But even then, if your party is 1 or 2, finding seats anywhere isn't a huge problem.

Untrue. Even if you reserve, you still have to show up early to get the seats you want. Every card is scanned for reserve shows. If you didn't reserve that show, you get put on separate line to wait until everyone else has been seated. Yo DO need to prebook to get into the top shows on NCL. No ifs ands or buts.

I have always been able to enter the comedy shows on standby, even getting a seat second row.

Comedy shows don't usually have reserves. Your point is misleading.

The Reservations desk, far left of Guest Services, is almost always staffed. Talk to them any time, they'll be happy to make or move any res you have. If you want to check a particular venue, just talk to the hostess.

Yeah, they're there to tell you that the specialty restaurant you want is booked until 9pm. The whole reservation system is silly since there seem to be plenty of seats available even when they tell you it's booked.

I would definitely reserve the comedy shows if you are interested in that. You can do it as soon as you check in through the iConcierge app. We saw many people in the standby line get turned away during our week on the GA. There is one night halfway through where there is a show in the main theater with all of the comedians that you don't need to reserve.

Untrue. Even if you reserve, you still have to show up early to get the seats you want. Every card is scanned for reserve shows. If you didn't reserve that show, you get put on separate line to wait until everyone else has been seated. Yo DO need to prebook to get into the top shows on NCL. No ifs ands or buts.

Totally true. I've gotten into every show I've tried stand by. Seats are hit or miss. And, uhh...yeah, that what I said. If you want good seats, you have to reserve to get in early. I think you mis-read my response.

Comedy shows don't usually have reserves. Your point is misleading.

Yes, they do, particularly Headliners. My point is spot on.

Yeah, they're there to tell you that the specialty restaurant you want is booked until 9pm. The whole reservation system is silly since there seem to be plenty of seats available even when they tell you it's booked.

Correct, always talk to the hostess. Freestyle means people feel free to blow off their reservation too.

Answers inline.

If you have to "keep to a schedule", it's hardly "free-style" is it? I would say if something is a "must-do",..book it in advance. If you can take it or leave it....just leave it to chance and go with the flow!

:eek:

I am feeling the first major thumbs down for NCL here, compared to Costa (and of course compared to Celebrity and Cunard).

By the way, I was really surprised about my trip on Costa Diadema. Without the very... very... very alive Italians around me, the ship would have been a blast in regards to service and flexiblity. Oh well, the food. Let´s not talk about their food... That should be much better on NCL.

I think I will have to learn some things before I start the trip with NCL.

The vast majority of people do not prebook anything, and you do not save anything by prebooking, the costs is the same, expect for a few shore excursions, or spa passes, that always seems to cost a few dollars more on the ship.