RC has to be kidding about single supplement

You might want to re-read your OP again. You didn´t ask a single question.

You kept a rant going, you probably wanted to vent, you played out the discrimination Card and you even threatened to sue, but the one Thing you did not, was asking a question.:rolleyes:

With all that is going on in the world today, I think we can forgive him for airing his frustrations without calling him a troll or acting nasty. He didn't make any personal attacks against anyone.

Explaining the impetus behind double occupancy rates for singles and offering suggestions as to why promotional offers might cause a glitch in the pricing system like many did without being rude is much more helpful and constructive.

With all that is going on in the world today, I think we can forgive him for airing his frustrations without calling him a troll or acting nasty. He didn't make any personal attacks against anyone.

I have to disagree here.

First I don´t think what´s going on in the world has anything to do with all of this and I wouldn´t have brought it up, because with this Background everything discussed on CC can be labled as First World Problem, and this thread would range right at the top of it.

So as you brought it up, with all that´s going on in the world, calling a single cruising pricing strategy "wrong", "should be outlawed" and "discriminatory" is not excusable in any way IMO.

People in todays world die because of laws that are discriminating them. That´s wrong and should be outlawed. That´s discriminatory!!!

They are simply doubling the price and then adding what the missing person would spend on Drinks and other ships services.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How do they know what the missing person would spend on drinks and other services?

I get charging the full double occupancy- as in the fee for having 2 people in the cabin. But when that price is $2000 and they are charging a single $2600- that's ridiculous.

If there wasn't a supplement couples would book as singles even when they didn't need it. Why get one room if you could get two for the same price? I think your $2600 price is a glitch though.

How many couples would actually do that? When I go on vacation with my husband, I want to spend time with him- not staying in a separate cabin. Why book an extra cabin you won't be staying in? Just for extra storage?

I don't understand the logic of this.

I have to disagree here.

First I don´t think what´s going on in the world has anything to do with all of this and I wouldn´t have brought it up, because with this Background everything discussed on CC can be labled as First World Problem, and this thread would range right at the top of it.

So as you brought it up, with all that´s going on in the world, calling a single cruising pricing strategy "wrong", "should be outlawed" and "discriminatory" is not excusable in any way IMO.

People in todays world die because of laws that are discriminating them. That´s wrong and should be outlawed. That´s discriminatory!!!

I clearly do not know what the OP's intent was, as I don't live in his or her head. However, I think venting on a board such as Cruise Critic is small potatoes. It's just an opinion. The "discrimination" is relative to these boards. NOt the world in general.

The world is full of people waiting to be offended by something or someone, and plenty more waiting to be offended on behalf of someone else,

The OP asked a question. Why all the name calling? People are so rude on these boards. No questions allowed! Ha. That's why these boards exist- to ask questions and provide opinions.

I clearly do not know what the OP's intent was, as I don't live in his or her head. However, I think venting on a board such as Cruise Critic is small potatoes. It's just an opinion. The "discrimination" is relative to these boards. NOt the world in general.

The world is full of people waiting to be offended by something or someone, and plenty more waiting to be offended on behalf of someone else,

The OP asked a question. Why all the name calling? People are so rude on these boards. No questions allowed! Ha. That's why these boards exist- to ask questions and provide opinions.

Oh, you saw a question in the OP? Well maybe you can point it out to me. Where in the OP was the question???

I have to disagree here.

Me thinks you are in major need of a cruise!

That's not how single supplements are priced. It typically is a percentage - usually up to 100% - of the second passenger's stateroom rate minus their taxes, fees, and port charges.

They don't arbitrarily add additional charges for anticipated spending, such as drinks, etc., as those are always options and charged separately as purchased. They aren't added to a double occupancy rate - why would they be added to a single occupancy supplement?

The additional $600 indicated by the OP is likely an error with the on-line booking system or a result of calculating the rate based on a current promotion as suggested by another poster.

For some reason you can not book a guarantee as a single. That is the difference.

How do they know what the missing person would spend on drinks and other services?

I get charging the full double occupancy- as in the fee for having 2 people in the cabin. But when that price is $2000 and they are charging a single $2600- that's ridiculous.

It has to do with a single not being able to book a guarantee. Simple as that.

Me thinks you are in major need of a cruise!

You are probably right, as I´m in constant Need of a cruise :cool: afterall it´s already 5 weeks I got of my last one after 14 nights and I Need to wait for another 8 weeks to board the next 14-nighter.

Yep I´m really in Need of a cruise.:D

They are simply doubling the price and then adding what the missing person would spend on Drinks and other ships services.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read this and laughed out loud. I took this as a tongue in cheek response and I'm sure is was.

They don't arbitrarily add additional charges for anticipated spending, such as drinks, etc., as those are always options and charged separately as purchased. They aren't added to a double occupancy rate - why would they be added to a single occupancy supplement?

I am not sure that the single supplement does not included the anticipated loss of on board spending of a second passenger in the cabin.

Another cruise line warns that for a double cabin in which the second passenger cancels or is a no show, the remaining passenger may face an additional charge for the cabin which is based on the anticipated per day spending of a typical passenger on that particular cruise.

This makes a lot of business sense and I wonder if some of the single supplements for double cabins on other lines do not already have this cost hidden in the single fare.

I am not sure that the single supplement does not included the anticipated loss of on board spending of a second passenger in the cabin.

Another cruise line warns that for a double cabin in which the second passenger cancels or is a no show, the remaining passenger may face an additional charge for the cabin which is based on the anticipated per day spending of a typical passenger on that particular cruise.

This makes a lot of business sense and I wonder if some of the single supplements for double cabins on other lines do not already have this cost hidden in the single fare.

I am sure. It's not true

There are never extra charges for no shows on any cruise line. You will receive back taxes for that person that doesn't show

The website does not allow a single to book a guarantee.

The single price is based on NON guarantee rates.

I should have explained that my post on additional money to cover the on board spending of the second passenger was based on actual experience.

This past spring (the week before Easter), we had two cabins booked on another cruise line for a seven night cruise. One passenger had a work conflict that came up after final payment and instead of boarding on Saturday, needed to board at the next port on Monday (Sunday was a sea day).

We arranged the delayed boarding in advance with the cruise line and we received, in writing, the policy covering both single passenger fares, second passenger no shows or cancellation, or delayed boarding.

The one consistent fare adjustment was to add an additional dollar amount to cover any expected on board spending of the second passenger or spending loss due to delayed boarding.

In our case, there was no additional costs added because an unlimited drink package and some other 7 day packages had been already purchased that would cover anticipated sea day expenses and no refund was to given on the cruise fare or packages because of the delayed boarding.

The policy was interesting to me because we had never had an occasion in 40+ years of cruising to have either a single cabin fare, a second passenger not boarding the ship, or a delayed boarding at a port other then the originating cruise port.

So, yes, at least one other cruise line does have a policy to make up the expected on board revenue of a passenger on single cabin fares, no shows and delayed embarcation that will be made available in writing to any one in those situations.

I just wondered at the time how many other cruise lines have the same policy.

I should have explained that my post on additional money to cover the on board spending of the second passenger was based on actual experience.

This past spring (the week before Easter), we had two cabins booked on another cruise line for a seven night cruise. One passenger had a work conflict that came up after final payment and instead of boarding on Saturday, needed to board at the next port on Monday (Sunday was a sea day).

We arranged the delayed boarding in advance with the cruise line and we received, in writing, the policy covering both single passenger fares, second passenger no shows or cancellation, or delayed boarding.

The one consistent fare adjustment was to add an additional dollar amount to cover any expected on board spending of the second passenger or spending loss due to delayed boarding.

In our case, there was no additional costs added because an unlimited drink package and some other 7 day packages had been already purchased that would cover anticipated sea day expenses and no refund was to given on the cruise fare or packages because of the delayed boarding.

The policy was interesting to me because we had never had an occasion in 40+ years of cruising to have either a single cabin fare, a second passenger not boarding the ship, or a delayed boarding at a port other then the originating cruise port.

So, yes, at least one other cruise line does have a policy to make up the expected on board revenue of a passenger on single cabin fares, no shows and delayed embarcation that will be made available in writing to any one in those situations.

Is it a secret???

I have never ever seen a single supplement more than 100%

Edited by cruisinfanatic

I don't know. I have on occasion seen posts on other forums on this board where people have talked about a single supplement was the price of the double cabin plus some additional amount.

I don't remember which cruise line forums the posts were on (I browse through a lot of the forums).

In my case last spring, we were booked on MSC and I would have never known the policy if a delayed boarding wasn't requested for one of our policy.

Because a policy started by one cruise line has become adopted by other cruise lines (think of the Carnival ban on bringing on board bottles of water and soda and now appears to have been implemented by NCL judging by one current thread on that forum), I don't know if MSC is unique in that policy of making up on board passenger revenue or if they are more open about it.

I have 3 solo cruises booked this year. And not one of them has added an additional charge. In fact I am actually paying less as I do not have to cover the taxes and fees for 2.

And, an even better thing is, I am getting the OBC for 2.

Troll? I asked a question, got answers (and yes I think it's the BOGOH promotion that's causing it. What more was there for me to say. I still think a 100% single supplement is discriminatory...it should be capped at between 50% and 75% but then again in life, all sorts of groups are discriminated against and great strides have been made. Cruise lines in their construction of these new mega ships should provide some single cabins but if you're not a member of the group being discriminated against, you feel differently.

Welcome back.

Is it a secret???

I have never ever seen a single supplement more than 100%

Hi:)...I always sail solo and maybe you are saying the same thing

I am but in a different way(semantics).I normally sail with Celebrity (which

Royal owns). I am pretty sure they have the same policy...solo cruisers

pay double. They want 2 people in the cabin....so you are saying 100%

where I normally say 200%....we are paying for 2 people in the cabin,

less port charges and taxes for 1.

I think it's horrible that cruise lines are allowed to charge additional fees to a single traveler, or for a child. That's why I'll never travel solo on a ship, or take any children that I might have one day, on a cruise. Sorry, a child is not going to eat enough to warrant the same cost as an adult. So we would wait until they are old enough to do so.

Just to spite the cruise line if I was a solo traveler I'd be ordering two of everything for food just to waste it. Id be getting my money's worth mwahahaha!

I think it's horrible that cruise lines are allowed to charge additional fees to a single traveler, or for a child. That's why I'll never travel solo on a ship, or take any children that I might have one day, on a cruise. Sorry, a child is not going to eat enough to warrant the same cost as an adult. So we would wait until they are old enough to do so.

Just to spite the cruise line if I was a solo traveler I'd be ordering two of everything for food just to waste it. Id be getting my money's worth mwahahaha!

Different strokes for different folks:)...I love cruising solo. It is the way

I have cruised for years.

Hi:)...I always sail solo and maybe you are saying the same thing

I am but in a different way(semantics).I normally sail with Celebrity (which

Royal owns). I am pretty sure they have the same policy...solo cruisers

pay double. They want 2 people in the cabin....so you are saying 100%

where I normally say 200%....we are paying for 2 people in the cabin,

less port charges and taxes for 1.

I should have wrote 200%