RC has to be kidding about single supplement

So I was doing some preliminary planning for a cruise a year from now. Now I get the whole idea of single supplements beng 100%. It is discriminatory and wrong and should be outlawed, but there's little I can do about it. So in any event, this cruise I was looking at was beng advertised at $980...with port charges and the like, I figured when I went through a pseudo booking, it would come out to be about $2100 at most when I put 1 person. No...it came up with $2600. Then when I put in 2 people travelling, the pricing for the same cabin came up at indeed $2,000. Of course if I were going to book it today, I would make up a fictional 2nd person and oops that person would be a no show but I let it slide for the time being. But I wonder how RC can justify this and I am considering, as I have some friends in the law profession, suing them for discrimination against singles. It makes no sense.

So I was doing some preliminary planning for a cruise a year from now. Now I get the whole idea of single supplements beng 100%. It is discriminatory and wrong and should be outlawed, but there's little I can do about it. So in any event, this cruise I was looking at was beng advertised at $980...with port charges and the like, I figured when I went through a pseudo booking, it would come out to be about $2100 at most when I put 1 person. No...it came up with $2600. Then when I put in 2 people travelling, the pricing for the same cabin came up at indeed $2,000. Of course if I were going to book it today, I would make up a fictional 2nd person and oops that person would be a no show but I let it slide for the time being. But I wonder how RC can justify this and I am considering, as I have some friends in the law profession, suing them for discrimination against singles. It makes no sense.

There are occasional glitches like this. Call RC and have them price it out for you. If they still give you that $2600 price, ask them to explain how it can be.

May I ask: Which cruise and category is it?

I travel solo all the time. The price you see is not usually what you pay. After my TA calls Rccl the price Gos down to where I though it should be. There web pricing is all over the place. You can look at a cruise 3 x in one day and get 3 different prices.

It's NOT discriminatory...the cost of the cabin is BASED ON DOUBLE OCCUPANCY....you need to stop thinking of a "per person" price!

I get that...not my post... but it does seem odd that the fare is $600 difference. More total for one in room. Not sure it makes sense to me.

I travel solo all the time. The price you see is not usually what you pay. After my TA calls Rccl the price Gos down to where I though it should be. There web pricing is all over the place. You can look at a cruise 3 x in one day and get 3 different prices.

Yes, I agree with this. I book online then either call Club Royale for additional discount or turn over to my TA.

Book for 2 and then have a no-show if that's cheaper ... if you feel it is discriminatory, don't go with this line.

I was wondering if you could do that. I priced a cruise online that came out to $6K for a solo person (wishful thinking - 9 night Grandeur in an owner's suite) but $4200 for 2. I was thinking, "Hmmmm...can you just have the 2nd person just not show up?" LOL!

Don't they have some teeny-tiny, meant-for-one-person rooms on some of the newer ships? I think they don't carry a single supplement.

If they're like NCL, the solo cabins are in such demand you can often get an inside double occupancy (twice the size of the single cabin) for less than the single cabin (also inside). Everything is driven by yield management. Since I can't figure out how to price ANYTHING on the RCI website anymore (I miss the good old days when you could actually look up a category like D1 or D2 instead of getting the lowest balcony price) I don't know how RCI manages their single cabins but the few times I checked when they first became available a couple of years ago it didn't look like there was very much difference between the single cabin (smaller) and twice the price of a regular cabin. Maybe that has changed.

It's NOT discriminatory...the cost of the cabin is BASED ON DOUBLE OCCUPANCY....you need to stop thinking of a "per person" price!

Ok, how do you explain a 3rd passenger paying the same price as the first 2. I know sometimes there is a deal for 3rd and 4th passengers but not always.

it is not and never was discriminatory. furthermore under the sales lately, BYGOF, BYGOHO, BYGO30%O the per person price does end up being much lower when booked as a pair.

these are NOT hotel rooms where the price is the same whether its one person or 6 in the room.

I was wondering if you could do that. I priced a cruise online that came out to $6K for a solo person (wishful thinking - 9 night Grandeur in an owner's suite) but $4200 for 2. I was thinking, "Hmmmm...can you just have the 2nd person just not show up?" LOL!

people book that way all the time.

If there wasn't a supplement couples would book as singles even when they didn't need it. Why get one room if you could get two for the same price? I think your $2600 price is a glitch though.

Edited by marci22

Try multiplying 980 X 2 then add in a set on port charges. What do you come up with?

Try multiplying 980 X 2 then add in a set on port charges. What do you come up with?

For once I actually agree with CB, who was responding the the comment that charging 100% supplement is discriminatory. It's not. If you're taking up 2 people's worth of space the cruise line is not being discriminatory asking you to pay for it.

A separate issue is that in this case the cost is more than the cost for 2 people, which seems like a glitch and should be investigated.

We saw insides across the hall from us on Serenade that only had one twin bed - obviously intended for a single traveler.

Edited by mek

Thread titles often influence the accuracy of the responses. OP seems to be complaining about a 'single supplement' when they are actually complaining about the fact that a single is pricing out even higher than a double.

I would have to agree that either there was a glitch or a category change if a single came out higher then a double. I have booked several single cabins when traveling with family, including all of my current upcoming. In the case of all of my upcoming cruises, my single room is cheaper (just slightly) then my families double rooms of the exact same category. This is caused by not paying the second persons taxes and port fees (also gratuities if you include them at booking).

The current best promotion is BOGOHO. Half off the STANDARD RATE for the 2nd person. So the OP ended up with a price of $980 for 2 passengers.

When you put in 1 person in your search on the RCL website, there is no 2nd person for the system to calculate the 1/2 off for the second so it gives you the standard rate X2 for a single.

My guess is the difference in the price is due to the BOGOHO offer. With two people, the second person is 50% off. The first person is full price. With the single supplement, you have the first person full price, and then double that price for the second person.

When they quote the price and show the $980, they generally show the per person price as the two together/2. So while it looks like it's $980 per person, it's really more like $1300 for the first, $650 for the second. They just show you the $980 to make it easier to understand the per person price. Which is why the $1300 * 2 with the single supplement is $2600.

(I have not actually checked this, but it's my guess of what is going on)

The current best promotion is BOGOHO. Half off the STANDARD RATE for the 2nd person. So the OP ended up with a price of $980 for 2 passengers.

When you put in 1 person in your search on the RCL website, there is no 2nd person for the system to calculate the 1/2 off for the second so it gives you the standard rate X2 for a single.

Ahhhh, you beat me to it! But yes, I agree *grin*