RC has to be kidding about single supplement

They are simply doubling the price and then adding what the missing person would spend on Drinks and other ships services.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's not how single supplements are priced. It typically is a percentage - usually up to 100% - of the second passenger's stateroom rate minus their taxes, fees, and port charges.

They don't arbitrarily add additional charges for anticipated spending, such as drinks, etc., as those are always options and charged separately as purchased. They aren't added to a double occupancy rate - why would they be added to a single occupancy supplement?

The additional $600 indicated by the OP is likely an error with the on-line booking system or a result of calculating the rate based on a current promotion as suggested by another poster.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

They are simply doubling the price and then adding what the missing person would spend on Drinks and other ships services.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hate to pile it on more but, how would they know what any person would be spending on board?;):confused:

So I was doing some preliminary planning for a cruise a year from now. Now I get the whole idea of single supplements beng 100%. It is discriminatory and wrong and should be outlawed, but there's little I can do about it. So in any event, this cruise I was looking at was beng advertised at $980...with port charges and the like, I figured when I went through a pseudo booking, it would come out to be about $2100 at most when I put 1 person. No...it came up with $2600. Then when I put in 2 people travelling, the pricing for the same cabin came up at indeed $2,000. Of course if I were going to book it today, I would make up a fictional 2nd person and oops that person would be a no show but I let it slide for the time being. But I wonder how RC can justify this and I am considering, as I have some friends in the law profession, suing them for discrimination against singles. It makes no sense.

That has to be a mistake.

I sail solo all the time 15 cruises so far, and I have 12 more booked all solo. I have never paid a 100% supplement, never mind over 200%. With the BOGO sales the price has always been adjusted for only one and if you click on view pricing per person you will see the BOGO discount.

An example is my December 9th cruise on Anthem, 2 people in a Superior Balcony Cabin in 2023.72 including taxes and fees. The same cabin for one is 1462.36. The fees are only 147.00. So a solo is paying a lot less than 100%.

I have never paid 100% supplement.

For once I actually agree with CB, who was responding the the comment that charging 100% supplement is discriminatory. It's not. If you're taking up 2 people's worth of space the cruise line is not being discriminatory asking you to pay for it.

A separate issue is that in this case the cost is more than the cost for 2 people, which seems like a glitch and should be investigated.

I would tend to agree if we were simply talking about a hotel room. However, on a cruise there are many other expenses included in your cruise fare. Not the least of which is food. One should not be expected to pay a 100% supplement as they are likely not consuming 100% more food. ;)

I would tend to agree if we were simply talking about a hotel room. However, on a cruise there are many other expenses included in your cruise fare. Not the least of which is food. One should not be expected to pay a 100% supplement as they are likely not consuming 100% more food. ;)

While they're not consuming 100% more food, they are taking up 100% of the space that another individual could occupy. That individual would be spending money on things like drinks, shore excursions, gambling, specialty restaurants,tipping, etc. that all factor into a cruise line's bottom line. The cruise line still has to buy the same amount of fuel and keep the same number of staff members on board to serve each cabin whether there are one or two people in it.

I'm sure the OP got a pricing glitch as I also book solo and have always paid less than 200%. That said, they will not advertise or volunteer it if the single supplement for a particular cruise is less than 200% (which it often is), so solo cruisers should be sure to ask what the single supplement is.

While they're not consuming 100% more food, they are taking up 100% of the space that another individual could occupy. That individual would be spending money on things like drinks, shore excursions, gambling, specialty restaurants,tipping, etc. that all factor into a cruise line's bottom line. The cruise line still has to buy the same amount of fuel and keep the same number of staff members on board to serve each cabin whether there are one or two people in it.

I'm sure the OP got a pricing glitch as I also book solo and have always paid less than 200%. That said, they will not advertise or volunteer it if the single supplement for a particular cruise is less than 200% (which it often is), so solo cruisers should be sure to ask what the single supplement is.

Or with no one in it at all ;)

What is the definition of a troll?

Someone who posts a provocative or pot-stirring initial post and never returns?

:rolleyes:

Troll? I asked a question, got answers (and yes I think it's the BOGOH promotion that's causing it. What more was there for me to say. I still think a 100% single supplement is discriminatory...it should be capped at between 50% and 75% but then again in life, all sorts of groups are discriminated against and great strides have been made. Cruise lines in their construction of these new mega ships should provide some single cabins but if you're not a member of the group being discriminated against, you feel differently.

An example is my December 9th cruise on Anthem, 2 people in a Superior Balcony Cabin in 2023.72 including taxes and fees. The same cabin for one is 1462.36. The fees are only 147.00. So a solo is paying a lot less than 100%.I have never paid 100% supplement.

If your example had sailing dates of March 9th (Spring Break) or July 9th Mid Summer) your single supplement experience might be different than posted.

December 9th is about as off off season as you can get.

Troll? I asked a question, got answers (and yes I think it's the BOGOH promotion that's causing it. What more was there for me to say. I still think a 100% single supplement is discriminatory...it should be capped at between 50% and 75% but then again in life, all sorts of groups are discriminated against and great strides have been made. Cruise lines in their construction of these new mega ships should provide some single cabins but if you're not a member of the group being discriminated against, you feel differently.

News Flash for you, there are single cabins on not only the new mega ships, but also some of the older ones have been refitted with some.

I belong into the single cruiser Group and I don´t feel discriminatd at all. To me it´s pretty simple a cabin Price I have to pay. If there´s two People in there it can be split in half, if I´m on my own I have to pay it.

What do you think - What´s the calculated cost of your Food consumption per day?

That seems pretty arbitrary...what is the basis for 50 to 75%?

try asking for that in a hotel

So I was doing some preliminary planning for a cruise a year from now. Now I get the whole idea of single supplements beng 100%. It is discriminatory and wrong and should be outlawed, but there's little I can do about it. So in any event, this cruise I was looking at was beng advertised at $980...with port charges and the like, I figured when I went through a pseudo booking, it would come out to be about $2100 at most when I put 1 person. No...it came up with $2600. Then when I put in 2 people travelling, the pricing for the same cabin came up at indeed $2,000. Of course if I were going to book it today, I would make up a fictional 2nd person and oops that person would be a no show but I let it slide for the time being. But I wonder how RC can justify this and I am considering, as I have some friends in the law profession, suing them for discrimination against singles. It makes no sense.
Sue all you want your post is laughable!....:rolleyes::rolleyes: It is a contentious subject for solo travelers as this is a gripe that has been hashed out over and over. Maybe you should get a hobby or try land based vacations...K.O.:rolleyes:

Sue all you want your post is laughable!....:rolleyes::rolleyes: It is a contentious subject for solo travelers as this is a gripe that has been hashed out over and over. Maybe you should get a hobby or try land based vacations...K.O.:rolleyes:

Or....go with NCL and their solo studio cabins, which are great!

Many many cruisers go on a cruise and NEVER spend a dive extra. They do not drink alcohol, or need or buy anything, they just want to cruise and doing something other than staying at home.

OH well, as others have said has to be a glitch and we all know RC is perfect.

The RC web site has it right now and yes it was the BOGOH promotion that caused the glitch; I hadn't checked the RC web site first. Which RC ships have single cabins other than the new mega ships?

But in any event, there is no need on anybody's part to be nasty. It was an honest question and asked in all due respect.

The RC web site has it right now and yes it was the BOGOH promotion that caused the glitch; I hadn't checked the RC web site first. Which RC ships have single cabins other than the new mega ships?....

Radiance class ships have a small number of studio staterooms.

The RC web site has it right now and yes it was the BOGOH promotion that caused the glitch; I hadn't checked the RC web site first. Which RC ships have single cabins other than the new mega ships?

But in any event, there is no need on anybody's part to be nasty. It was an honest question and asked in all due respect.

You might want to re-read your OP again. You didn´t ask a single question.

You kept a rant going, you probably wanted to vent, you played out the discrimination Card and you even threatened to sue, but the one Thing you did not, was asking a question.:rolleyes:

I get that...not my post... but it does seem odd that the fare is $600 difference. More total for one in room. Not sure it makes sense to me.

On the web site there is a place to click to see breakdown of price. Don't forget sailing solo is worth the freedom to do what you want and have a private cabin.