RC has to be kidding about single supplement

I think it's horrible that cruise lines are allowed to charge additional fees to a single traveler, or for a child. That's why I'll never travel solo on a ship, or take any children that I might have one day, on a cruise. Sorry, a child is not going to eat enough to warrant the same cost as an adult. So we would wait until they are old enough to do so.

Just to spite the cruise line if I was a solo traveler I'd be ordering two of everything for food just to waste it. Id be getting my money's worth mwahahaha!

Would you feel better if cruise lines charged like hotels? 1 charge for double occupancy.

So all of this got my curiosity going so I did some mock bookings with some interesting results. I chose the 24 Feb 2017 10-night Seranade cruise. All prices in CAD.

Interior Stateroom for two: $2663

Same for one: $3099. Diff: $436

Large Ocean View for two: $3428

Same for one: $3444. Diff: $16

Ocean View Balcony for two: $4283

Same for one: $4333. Diff: $50

Owner's Suite for two: $12278

Same for one: $12343 Diff: $65

So in this instance the Solo price is close to the two passenger price except for the Inside. I would not even try to make sense of the Inside price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So all of this got my curiosity going so I did some mock bookings with some interesting results. I chose the 24 Feb 2017 10-night Seranade cruise. All prices in CAD.

So in this instance the Solo price is close to the two passenger price except for the Inside. I would not even try to make sense of the Inside price.

Someone mentioned that rates were coming up like that because of a promotion currently running. The single price should always be 1 set of taxes & fees less than the double price. When you get to the final screen or speak to a customer service agent, the price will be corrected.

Would you feel better if cruise lines charged like hotels? 1 charge for double occupancy.

The hotel I booked in Miami actually charges $40 more for a second person in the room, but nothing additional after that up to 4 people.

I checked the inside and got $$ for cat L

$2503 for 2

$2395 for a single

Cat M guarantee for 2 is $1491 for 2

Cat E2 for 2 is $2851

it depends where you look

Edited by cruisinfanatic

News Flash for you, there are single cabins on not only the new mega ships, but also some of the older ones have been refitted with some.

I belong into the single cruiser Group and I don´t feel discriminatd at all. To me it´s pretty simple a cabin Price I have to pay. If there´s two People in there it can be split in half, if I´m on my own I have to pay it.

What Paul said.

Especially the way he said it.

:)

Oh, you saw a question in the OP? Well maybe you can point it out to me. Where in the OP was the question???

And yet, even though she didn't ask a question, many of us tried to help. There was no further input from the OP in response to those offers, or responses at all.

You can lead a horse to water but.............

For some reason you can not book a guarantee as a single. That is the difference.

I guess it depends on the sailing. I've booked quite a few balcony guarantees as a solo both on Explorer and Anthem. Anthem has a studio balcony guarantee category that I've booked a few times and always ended up with a regular balcony cabin, for a cost a lot less than 200% of the regular balcony guarantee.

I guess it depends on the sailing. I've booked quite a few balcony guarantees as a solo both on Explorer and Anthem. Anthem has a studio balcony guarantee category that I've booked a few times and always ended up with a regular balcony cabin, for a cost a lot less than 200% of the regular balcony guarantee.

Well, yes, Gayle, but those are single cabins in the first place.

People who are saying that singles can't get guarantee rates are referring to regular double-occupancy cabins.

IN GENERAL, although not always, they will not allow a single person to book that guarantee category.

Well, yes, Gayle, but those are single cabins in the first place.

People who are saying that singles can't get guarantee rates are referring to regular double-occupancy cabins.

IN GENERAL, although not always, they will not allow a single person to book that guarantee category.

I've booked regular category X Balcony guarantees as a solo on Explorer, Anthem and Quantum, as well as SB guarantees. I've even book a JS guarantee as a solo on Quantum and Explorer.

well, yes, gayle, but those are single cabins in the first place.

in general, although not always, they will not allow a single person to book that guarantee category.

i've booked regular category x balcony guarantees as a solo on explorer, anthem and quantum, as well as sb guarantees. I've even book a js guarantee as a solo on quantum and explorer.

:) :)

If any solos are looking for a December cruise check out the 12/9/16. Far less than a 200% supplement and regular balcony guarantees are available for 1.

Guarantee X 1 person $1343 including fees

2 persons $1890 including fees

Superior Balcony 1 person $1518

2 persons $2123

7/1/17

Superior Balcony 1 person 2248

2 person 3325

There are alot of other Anthem sailings with less than 200%.

She did not respond to offers of help. I, for example, asked what ship and category she was pricing, so that I could help her understand the pricing.

You gave them less than 8 hours to respond before calling them a troll. Perhaps that is why they didn't rush to answer your inquiry.

If the PP price is low enough, why does it matter what the supplement is.

FWIW, single passengers on cruise ships are not a protected class, so you really can't discriminate against them.

Federal protected classes include:

Race.

Color.

Religion or creed.

National origin or ancestry.

Sex.

Age.

Physical or mental disability.

Veteran status.

Genetic information.

Citizenship.

BTW, my wife has 8 solo voyages booked for the next cycle. If the price wasn't right, we wouldn't book them.

I think it's horrible that cruise lines are allowed to charge additional fees to a single traveler, or for a child. That's why I'll never travel solo on a ship, or take any children that I might have one day, on a cruise. Sorry, a child is not going to eat enough to warrant the same cost as an adult. So we would wait until they are old enough to do so.

Just to spite the cruise line if I was a solo traveler I'd be ordering two of everything for food just to waste it. Id be getting my money's worth mwahahaha!

I travel solo and enjoy the uncrowded cabin and the freedom to spend time as I like. As for children - they do eat, sleep in beds, use towels and facilities such as pools . In some cases I think extra work for dining and cabin staff. Do you think airlines let children fly free or hotels? Haven't met a single traveller who felt they had to eat for two!!!

If the child is the third or fourth passenger, then they typically are charged a reduced fare.

Children over the age of two pay the same as an adult on airplanes.

If you waste the food, you are not gaining anything from it.

Edited by Cuizer2

The classy attitude one would expect from a UofM fan.............:rolleyes:

The RC web site has it right now and yes it was the BOGOH promotion that caused the glitch; I hadn't checked the RC web site first. Which RC ships have single cabins other than the new mega ships?

But in any event, there is no need on anybody's part to be nasty. It was an honest question and asked in all due respect.

Too True. I cannot believe how nasty some people become when someone does not have the same opinion as them. Just agree to disagree.

If you can't say anything helpful or pleasant, say nothing at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!