Tips

We prepay our tips before we get onboard and will tip our room attendant extra and our waiters at dinner. Also if we have breakfast in our room we tip those too.

Should we be tipping anyone else?

I have just read if you are not happy with the service you can have you prepaid gratuities removed? Is this really correct ?

We prepay our tips before we get onboard and will tip our room attendant extra and our waiters at dinner. Also if we have breakfast in our room we tip those too.

Should we be tipping anyone else?...

I think you have covered it as far as crew on the ship.

I think your extra generosity covers it all.

Unless there is that particular bartender that goes over board:eek: for you.

I have read on the boards where people have removed their tips for various reasons, but we have never done it, and have also pre-paid once the option became available.

Now I am sure this topic will get many opinions.

Sea Ya

I also like to prepay my tips. I do give extra to our cabin steward. the better they are the more I give. I honestly do NOT agree with removing tips. those crew members work darn hard for everyone.

You can have your tips removed from your sea pass account on your first day on board - just go to the customer service/purser's desk and ask for the gratuities to be removed. Then YOU are able to determine who to tip and how much.

Thanks for the replies. As we are from the UK tipping is not as common as in other countries so we just wanted t make sure we are on the right lines.

Would never remove our prepaid gratuities as we understand this makes up part of the wages

Part of your pre-paid tips also go to the crew behind the scenes that you don't see: the people who wash the towels you use every day and the sheets on the bed, the people who wash the dishes you eat off every day, etc. If you remove your tips and only tip your cabin steward and wait staff/bar tenders, those people behind the scenes get nothing. And yes, I have verified this fact with a friend who is a manager on the Royal ships.

You can have your tips removed from your sea pass account on your first day on board - just go to the customer service/purser's desk and ask for the gratuities to be removed. Then YOU are able to determine who to tip and how much.

Just be prepared to be asked what is wrong and what the stateroom host and/or servers can do to improve BY THEM and/or the deck manager or head waiter. They get a list of those who have them removed and the automatic assumption is that something is wrong with the service.

Especially now that the requirement to prepay them is gone. If you want to tip on your own (with the knowledge that anything up to the regular amount that would normally be charged must be turned in to be pooled anyway - otherwise the crew member can face termination), just don't prepay them. There is no longer a reason to if you don't want to.

I don't think that the staff in the windjammer for the evening dinner are part of the tip pool. So if we have dinner their we will tip the person if they bring us drinks and such.

The lunch group is part of the dining room staff so they are paid from your pre-paid tips.

I've not heard that the dinner crew in WJ were not part of the tip pool, that is surprising to me.

You are pre-paying your tips. Any other tips you want to give to anyone else are at your discretion

Before any 'flaming' starts, we prepay our tips and tip above and beyond where we think necessary........but.....

ALL tips are discretionary!!!!!

Should we be tipping anyone else? not necessarily. all room service deliveries should be tipped a dollar or 2, but you already have that covered. tip the porters unless there are signs telling you it isn't required. anything else you purchase on board has the tip automatically added.

I have just read if you are not happy with the service you can have you prepaid gratuities removed? Is this really correct ?

as for removing tips.. that should ONLY be a VERY LAST RESORT action AFTER you have tried WHILE STILL ON BOARD to have the issues addressed. do not wait until the last day then complain about sub par service. you need to give them time to fix it. and be honest about what constitutes acceptable service. if your cabin is cleaned twice daily and your ice bucket kept filled and towels replaced, they have done their job satisfactorily. they may not have earned any additional tip, but they certainly have not done anything to warrant having it removed either.

I don't think that the staff in the windjammer for the evening dinner are part of the tip pool. So if we have dinner their we will tip the person if they bring us drinks and such.

The lunch group is part of the dining room staff so they are paid from your pre-paid tips.

they are indeed part of the tip pool. the daily charge covers ALL venues that do not have a surcharge for ALL meals/snacks( even the Promenade people get a cut)

have I slipped extra to the girl who makes me a fresh pizza or adds extra toppings to my Sundae, darn skippy. a dollar is plenty.

they are indeed part of the tip pool. the daily charge covers ALL venues that do not have a surcharge for ALL meals/snacks( even the Promenade people get a cut)

have I slipped extra to the girl who makes me a fresh pizza or adds extra toppings to my Sundae, darn skippy. a dollar is plenty.

Hi,

What's a Kangaroo got to do with it?

:):):)

Pete