Cruise insurance over age 65

We have always purchased cruise insurance through RCL (or a TA) when booking, but our 65th birthdays are coming up so we wonder if we need to do something else. We are members of USAA and will have Tri-care for Life if that makes any difference. I did a search, but couldn't find any answers.

Royal's insurance still covers you at 65 and over, and may be a less expensive choice as the premium is not age based.

As always - thank you, Bob! I was told that Medicare will not cover illnesses out of the US. Is that not true?

HI, We get Geoblue trekker, although nor per cruise but by the year. We travel alot out of USA. It is global. It is about 100.00 per person per year and covers everything up to 50,000, incuding medevac.

check with your TA,most offer travel insurance with cruises five days or longer. we always purchase the upgrade option.it covers everything.even God forbid being air lifted off the ship.good luck and happy cruising.

HI, We get Geoblue trekker, although nor per cruise but by the year. We travel alot out of USA. It is global. It is about 100.00 per person per year and covers everything up to 50,000, incuding medevac.

Is there a separate policy you buy for 'trip cancellation' or 'trip interruption' coverage?

If you have Tri-Care for Life, doesn't it cover medical anywhere in the world? I have two friends who have it and they are covered. You do need evacuation coverage. and I cannot find any such except with a medical policy. I believe Geoblue includes evacuation, so perhaps that is a good choice.

That's what we get too. It does not cover cancellations, but the medical and evac are what are important to us as Medicare does NOT cover out of the USA.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

If you have Tri-Care for Life, doesn't it cover medical anywhere in the world? I have two friends who have it and they are covered. You do need evacuation coverage. and I cannot find any such except with a medical policy. I believe Geoblue includes evacuation, so perhaps that is a good choice.

I'm just learning the lingo as I approach 65, but it seems Medicare will become our primary provider with Tricare for Life being the supplemental policy.

You may want to check out the Cruise Insurance Boards. Lots of info over there. We have found it to be a good source of info. Lots of info on third party insurance.

I dd not realize there were Cruise Insurance Boards. Thanks - I'll check them out.

I was told that Medicare will not cover illnesses out of the US. Is that not true?

it depends on which options/ plan you have. my medicare will cover emergency care in foreign countries. call the number on your card and talk with a customer representative to see what is covered and if your coverage includes utside USA.

check out the cruise travel insurance threads

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Royal's insurance still covers you at 65 and over, and may be a less expensive choice as the premium is not age based.

Can I add insurance from Royal after we've already booked ? Our cruise isn't until October 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will tell you about our personal experience.

I'm not over 65, but a few years ago we took my grandfather (87 at the time) on a cruise. We always buy travel insurance through USAA. He had some medical issues on the cruise (we found out a few months after the cruise that he actually had cancer, but that was unknown to us at the time). He had to have an EKG and a couple other tests while on the ship. We had to wait for medicare and Tricare to refuse payment, but then the USAA insurance paid. It took a while to wait for the other 2 to refuse payment - I think it took a year actually (my mom was dealing with this as my grandfather ended up passing away from the cancer a few months after being diagnosed). Anyway - the USAA insurance paid for everything once medicare and Tricare denied the coverage.

We always buy the trip cancellation/interruption insurance through our TA. In addition to that we purchase a yearly policy with MedJet, they provide for medical evacuation from anywhere in the world to the hospital of your choice back in the USA.