Random Notes, Explorer Maiden Voyage, LIVE

Mr Rumor

O Dear, it seems Regent may have a major problem. We travelled on Navigator shortly after its refurbishment and found the decor too dark. It seems that this is the new Regent style and we were told that it would be on the Mariner and Voyager after their refurbishment. There was also the bluish lighting in the Compass Rose which was not to everyone's taste. We got used to both, but it was still rather gloomy. Nonetheless we have retained our bookings on the Explorer and intend to book Regent again next year. It remains our favourite line with Seabourn a close second. For us Silversea is a non starter because of its rigid and antiquated dress code and Crystal is out because most of their staterooms are much too small.

Just like to say a big -really big -thank you to all on board who posted, especially Mr Rumor who did such a huge amount of sterling work.

I have never cruised with Regent before, but on the strength of what I have read here, I am ready to book the 2017 Christmas/New year cruise -and know exactly what level of cabin I want to travel in. Now just have to check all the deck plans and correlate with what is available :)

About to go read Travelcat2's christening thread, which I'm sure will be equally helpful and enthusiastic and full of the details that I so enjoy.

Oh boy, isn't planning a cruise, especially on a gorgeous looking ship, always a marvellously (yes, that's my UK spelling for all the spell checkers out there :)) exciting time?

O Dear, it seems Regent may have a major problem. We travelled on Navigator shortly after its refurbishment and found the decor too dark. It seems that this is the new Regent style and we were told that it would be on the Mariner and Voyager after their refurbishment. There was also the bluish lighting in the Compass Rose which was not to everyone's taste. We got used to both, but it was still rather gloomy. Nonetheless we have retained our bookings on the Explorer and intend to book Regent again next year. It remains our favourite line with Seabourn a close second. For us Silversea is a non starter because of its rigid and antiquated dress code and Crystal is out because most of their staterooms are much too small.

Really curious to know what you consider Regent's new décor a "major problem". Although I love the décor, even if I didn't, it would not have an impact on our cruise. After all, everyone has different tastes.

Silver Sweethearts, the Seven Seas Suite has always been confusing to me. On the Voyager the Seven Seas forward has 1 1/2 baths while the Seven Seas Aft has 1 bath. On the Mariner, it is exactly the opposite. On the Explorer, most of the Seven Seas Suites (all but 4) have 1 1/2 baths.

On the Explorer, the layout of the suite, the size, the décor, etc. was really lovely. It is difficult to explain but if you look at pictures of the suites you may see what we mean. Plus, the Seven Seas Suite we booked was $5K less than the Grand Suite that we previously booked. The only negative between the two suites is that we cannot dine in the specialty restaurants every night. However, we find the new Compass Rose menu so wonderful that we could care less that we may only be able to book one reservation in each specialty restaurant.

In order for me to be able to review suites on the Explorer, we have booked different suites. On the christening voyage we were in a concierge suite (same as F1 and F2). Our next cruise is in the Grand Suite followed by a cruise in the Master Suite. Our last booked cruise is in the Seven Seas Suite. The only suite we were disappointed in was the PH suite.

auldlassie, happy to hear that you enjoyed Mr. Rumor's posts. We did as well. In my opinion, the Explorer is the best ship we have ever cruised on (followed by Oceania's Riviera).

While I do not expect everyone to agree with me, we found the Explorer to be amazing. We do not look at silly details but the overall picture. Overall, it is the best ship we have ever sailed.

gnomie1: You refer to your upcoming Explorer cruise. Do you mind telling us which cruise this is? With all due respect, you have been a bit critical of Regent lately so I am hopeful that you will find the positives of the Explorer. Keep in mind that nothing is perfect.

OK, I'm convinced that the poor (and poorly written) review of Explorer definitely should not be taken down. The Latin legal phrase seems apposite: Res ipsa loquitur. ("The thing speaks for itself")

Before bidding adieu to the Explorer MV blog, I wanted to make good on my promise to Rachel to list the selection of Pacific Rim teas. I started typing up this list in Notes during the cruise, but didn't manage to finish and post.

On our second visit to Pacific Rim, I decided to try a pot of "balanced" and "invigorating" Ginger Lemongrass in lieu of a glass of wine. It was so good that I decided to delve further into the list by ordering a pot of "exotic" and "alluring" White Ginger Pear. Rachel, I think you'll be pleased by the selection:

BLACK TEA (contains caffeine): Orchid Vanilla (Madagascar vanilla, coconut slivers/luxurious/indulging; Orange Pekoe rich flavor/simple/mellow/fulfilling)

HERBAL TEA (caffeine free): Flora (hibiscus flower, cinnamon sticks/licorice root/ruby red/enticing; Ginger Lemongrass (spring lemongrass/soft ginger/balanced/invigorating); Chamomile Citron ( Egyptian chamomile/fruits and herbs/gentle/relaxing)

GREEN TEA (low in caffeine): Japanese Green Tea Sencha (traditional essence/healthful/revitalizing; China Gunpowder (hand-rolled green tea leaves/aromatic oils/grassy/stimulating)

WHITE TEA (very little caffeine): White Ginger Pear (Japanese pear/hint of ginger/exotic/alluring).

My pot of Pacific Rim Ginger Lemongrass tea (extra points for the cool packaging):

d3ff1b8d-1229-40c3-bd00-0701709aa56d_zpsws8fwub1.jpg[/quote

Thanks so much for the tea report. It appears to be the same as in red ginger on Oceania.

Anyone who books an inaugural cruise should expect problems. An inaugural cruise should be taken without great expectations for the perfect service and finished product

Several years ago, Herb and I sailed on an inaugural voyage - not RSSC- 25 days. The ship was not really ready for "prime time". Every dining experience was a nightmare.

In one of the specialty restaurants, part of a chandelier crashed down onto a table. Fortunately, it wasn't our table and no one was hurt.

In the main dining room, Herb complained that very night that his food was "luke warm", never hot. In addition, some of the serving station cabinet doors fell off during the course of the cruise. They were then held together with rubber bands. The service was horrible. Every night as we entered the dining room we wondered what new adventure we should expect.

We had booked a suite. The colors were shocking. It included gold curtains, grey bedcovers, chocolate brown sofa, burnt orange chairs etc. name the color, we had it in our suite. Our biggest question was just how much did the designer drink before completing this color pallet.

But it didn't stop us. We sailed again several months later on the same cruise line, different ship. It was a delightful sailing.

After that voyage, we decided never to book an inagaural cruise again. Let the kinks be worked out and then we can judge the ship fairly.

So we are ready, excited and booked on the November transatlantic on Explorer. Lets hope the ship is ready for us.

We looked forward to all the information regarding the cabins and public areas. By the way, life is too short to argue and dwell on some of the bickering in this blog.

To everyone who took the time and contributed the wonderful descriptions, thank you.

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

Anyone who books an inaugural cruise should expect problems. An inaugural cruise should be taken without great expectations for the perfect service and finished product

Several years ago, Herb and I sailed on an inaugural voyage - not RSSC- 25 days. The ship was not really ready for "prime time". Every dining experience was a nightmare.

In one of the specialty restaurants, part of a chandelier crashed down onto a table. Fortunately, it wasn't our table and no one was hurt.

In the main dining room, Herb complained that very night that his food was "luke warm", never hot. In addition, some of the serving station cabinet doors fell off during the course of the cruise. They were then held together with rubber bands. The service was horrible. Every night as we entered the dining room we wondered what new adventure we should expect.

We had booked a suite. The colors were shocking. It included gold curtains, grey bedcovers, chocolate brown sofa, burnt orange chairs etc. name the color, we had it in our suite. Our biggest question was just how much did the designer drink before completing this color pallet.

But it didn't stop us. We sailed again several months later on the same cruise line, different ship. It was a delightful sailing.

After that voyage, we decided never to book an inagaural cruise again. Let the kinks be worked out and then we can judge the ship fairly.

So we are ready, excited and booked on the November transatlantic on Explorer. Lets hope the ship is ready for us.

We looked forward to all the information regarding the cabins and public areas. By the way, life is too short to argue and dwell on some of the bickering in this blog.

To everyone who took the time and contributed the wonderful descriptions, thank you.

Sheila

Sheila, wish that everyone on the maiden voyage had read your post before their cruise. It would have been most helpful

I have no doubt that the Explorer will be better than ever on "our" November transatlantic cruise. Really looking forward to seeing you and Herb.

Jackie

Edited by Travelcat2

It sounds like this person and the OP who posted the review might be the same person. The OP said she had been with Regent many times and liked being "spoilt" - a UK version of "spoiled".

Yes - I thought exactly the same as you when the TA mentioned this, albeit I wasn't as alert as you in picking up on the use of the word 'spoilt'. No way of telling without asking my TA to carry out an interrogation of the client.

Sheila, wish that everyone on the maiden voyage had read your post before their cruise. It would have been most helpful

I have no doubt that the Explorer will be better than ever on "our" November transatlantic cruise. Really looking forward to seeing you and Herb.

Jackie

Love it!!!

You know, if you are really unhappy with the Regent or the Explorer, then don't sail on it again. We love the entire Regent experience. It fits our needs perfectly. I can't imagine that the decor is so bad that I would never sail on it again.

There are others that may disagree. That's why there are so many choices for folks. Dance to your own tune......

Sheila

We too were on the Maiden Voyage...I LOVED the ship, dark wood and all. We all have our individual taste. IMO It is beautiful and so elegant.

Speaking of taste, the restaurant I thought I would like the best (Chartreuse) and the one I thought I would like the least (Pacific Rim) flip flopped. I loved Pacific Rim and Chartreuse didn't do much for me. I thought their menu was too limited for my simple "picky" palate. ALL the dining venues are unique and gorgeous. The china and glassware is magnificent. I was told by a senior officer that there are 500 chandeliers on the ship.

I had few complaints, a couple of hiccups but nothing that hindered having a WONDERFUL experience. A couple of things that don't work IMO are the glass windowed-in tenders. In hot weather it works as a green house with NO air circulation. I told Franck that they should get their money back. Like others have said, the Constellation Theater has some oversized columns that are striking but really interfere with viewing. We quickly learned to get in the theater a few minutes earlier than we have in the past.

I think all and all things went very well considering this was a Maiden voyage. I'm glad so many will have the opportunity to go on the Explorer and form your own opinions.

Happy cruising to all :)

Well, I love dark wood and subtle lighting. I was impressed with the feel of Navigator after the refurb, and I'm sure I'll love Explorer in April and August next year. And if I don't, well, there's unlimited booze, right? :p

I have another question about the suites. In all the other Regent ships the time on the clock in the suite cannot be viewed in the dark, the illumination if there is one is not effective. As a result we always bring a portable battery operated digital one. What is the situation on the Explorer

Eliana, we have the same issue. We've bought a cheap digital clock and plug it in. Our US clock has worked best and keeps remarkably true time; on previous ships we tried our European clocks but they ran "fast" based on the ship's cycle (so I'm told). There's a US and a European outlet under each nightstand at the bed. There are also USB ports on the wall near the nightstands.

Most surprisingly, in our G2 there was NO bedside phone. I mentioned this in our cruise feedback survey as it's not just an annoyance but a potential safety issue. Other suite types had a cordless phone, so perhaps there's just an installation lag to replace the desk phones with a base+cordless arrangement. I hope.

There is a phone at the desk and in the bathroom.

I was just thinking about the tea issue and I remember that at least one of the teas in Pacific Rim is the same as in Red Ginger on Oceania (The White Ginger Pear - I'm not much of a tea drinker but did enjoy this tea). Anyway, the teas that were available in Red Ginger were not available anywhere else on the ship. I wonder if this is the case with Pacific Rim. If I were a betting person, I'd bet that the tea in the other dining venues are the same as on other Regent ships. Hope this puts concerns about tea to rest.

Hope this puts concerns about tea to rest.

So you are confirming that I will be able to get Lapsang souchong onboard Seven Seas Explorer? It was great to get it on Silverseas; glad to know that Regent now carries it too.

Marc

So you are confirming that I will be able to get Lapsang souchong onboard Seven Seas Explorer? It was great to get it on Silverseas; glad to know that Regent now carries it too.

Marc

Not confirming anything. Just assuming that the tea selection that has been on the other ships will still be available on the Explorer (as well as the specialty teas available in Pacific Rim).

I was just thinking about the tea issue and I remember that at least one of the teas in Pacific Rim is the same as in Red Ginger on Oceania (The White Ginger Pear - I'm not much of a tea drinker but did enjoy this tea). Anyway, the teas that were available in Red Ginger were not available anywhere else on the ship. I wonder if this is the case with Pacific Rim. If I were a betting person, I'd bet that the tea in the other dining venues are the same as on other Regent ships. Hope this puts concerns about tea to rest.

I am betting you are right as I recognize the tea offered as the same as on Oceania in Red Ginger. Which is a totally different thing than on Silversea. Silversea wins as far as tea by a long shot, but those in red ginger on Oceania (and now apparently in Pacific rim on explorer) are pretty good.

Hello,

I love to have breakfast in my suite as I am a terrible sleepyhead in the mornings and eating in my cabin helps me adjust to the shock of the day :)

Can anyone who has been on the Explorer tell me if the table by the sofa in the Concierge or Superior suites is just a coffee table or high enough for proper in-suite dining?

In the few pics I can find, to be honest it looks somewhere uncomfortably in between, but I haven't really seen decent, clear pics.

It seems as if there is a small dining table for two (in addition to a coffee table by the sofa) in the Penthouse, albeit somewhat placed out in the entrance/hall part of the room. Again, can anyone enlighten me if that is correct and it is at dining height?

Info or pics very much appreciated, as I am hoping to book my first regent cruise this week. Despite being old enough to know better, I am practically giddy with excitement :)

Hello,

I love to have breakfast in my suite as I am a terrible sleepyhead in the mornings and eating in my cabin helps me adjust to the shock of the day :)

Can anyone who has been on the Explorer tell me if the table by the sofa in the Concierge or Superior suites is just a coffee table or high enough for proper in-suite dining?

In the few pics I can find, to be honest it looks somewhere uncomfortably in between, but I haven't really seen decent, clear pics.

It seems as if there is a small dining table for two (in addition to a coffee table by the sofa) in the Penthouse, albeit somewhat placed out in the entrance/hall part of the room. Again, can anyone enlighten me if that is correct and it is at dining height?

Info or pics very much appreciated, as I am hoping to book my first regent cruise this week. Despite being old enough to know better, I am practically giddy with excitement :)

We were told during a Q&A session on the Explorer when we were onboard that the coffee/dining table is purposely built at dining height so that you can sit either on the sofa or the chair from the desk and be comfortable.

Enjoy every moment of your cruise!