Random Notes, Explorer Maiden Voyage, LIVE

Mr Rumor

SEA DAY SNIPPETS: Smithsonian lecturer Terry Bishop was entertaining and engaging as usual this morning as he held court on the subject of Yugoslav revolutionary and statesman Josip Broz Tito in preparation for our visits over the next two days to Kotor, Montenego and Split, Croatia. . . . My eyes got very big at the Seafood Extravaganza starring mounds of lobster tails personally tended to by Executive Chef Aurelien and heaping platters of jumbo shrimp and crab legs. I ate too much, but I was helpless. . . Q&A with planetary scientist/NASA Pluto mission leader Alan Stern flew by. Bishop, Stern and Terry Waite make up the single best group of speakers by far I've ever had the pleasure to listen to on a Regent cruise. . . Just Guessing nabbed third place at Trivia. . . Cruise Director Ray packed them in for his pre-dinner show in the Constellation Theater. . . Our first dinner at Chatreuse went well. My favorite Signatures dishes (crab tied up in that little asparagus bundle, mushroom soup and halibut) were nowhere to be found on the menu but Chartreuse may already have a signature dish of its own in the making, namely it's Chocolate Napoleon with Almond Croquant. Magnifique! . . . Terry Bishop sings, plays guitars and does comedy, too! And he proved it tonight when he returned to the Constellation Theater with his hoot of a show, "Tales and Tunes of a Troubadour" in the Constellation Theater. A great way to end a very full day.

Goodnight quote, courtesy of Celebrity Speak Alan Stern: "Can you imagine the expense if after the Maiden Voyage you are on now, the Explorer was discarded and a new ship had to be built for your next voyage? That's how it has been with rockets--they fly once, the stages wind up in the ocean and are discarded.

"But right over the horizon, pioneered by the private sector, is the reusability of rockets. Reusability will revolutionize what it costs to get into space--it's the secret sauce for early to mid-21st Century space exploration. And I think it is going to change the world."

Edited by Mr Rumor

The infinity pool is available to all.

It has limited loungers though.

It can be accessed outside on deck 5 without going through the spa.

Since it is connected to the spa' date=' no alcohol is served there.[/quote']

So glad it is for all. Thanks for the info

Trust me, I've been in the spa and have had champagne! (Someone had to bring it to me)

It is getting late into the Maiden Voyage, and time to do some laundry. The launderettes on Explorer are nicely equipped. Each facility has either 2 or 3 sets of machines, and some decks have 2 launderettes-one at each end of the ship.

However, the machines are a bit complicated to figure out. There are no instructions, and the machines have tiny icons with no labels. After much trial, and mostly error, they do a nice job.

bfc77c20977c6b05d3dcbd2baf82c57f_thumb.jpg

b74fbe04a661c6adf7cec0c5260ed31f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much to everyone for the insights into life onboard Explorer. My wife and I board in Lisbon on 25 Aug and this thread has added enormously to the anticipation. A few questions - wine and dress; in particular on wine I may be confusing Regent pricing with Oceania. I think Regent is usually much more reasonable, since it is [should be] an upgrading increment from an included base.

Can you get onboard prices for Gaja Promis [super Tuscan] and [Far Niente] Dolce. Also availability of a Ripasso on the included wine list. My recollection of Promis and Dolce is that they were priced in the $150-$165 bottle range. They cost me about $36 and $49 respectively, so worth the schlepping if that is, in fact, the price range on Regent. It seems like included wines top out at about $16-$18 retail, so most Ripassos are slightly above those margins. We usually find something that works for us (a Malbec, Syrah/Shiraz or Montepulciano du Abruzzo - but may be confusing with Celebrity), however we usually want to have one or two "special wines" available, probably for Prime 7 or Chartreuse on this cruise.

Secondary issue re: packaging a dark suit for men. My thinking is to go with the proverbial blue blazer as my dress-up option, as I can wear it on the plane and stay light on my packing. Am I likely to feel under-dressed sans a suit in the most dressed up environs (I assume Prime 7 and/or Chartreuse)? Am I correct that there are no formal or semi-formal nights anymore?

Thanks for any info and insights you can provide.

Edited by 2SeaAll

Can you get onboard prices for Gaja Promis [super Tuscan] and [Far Niente] Dolce. Also availability of a Ripasso on the included wine list. My recollection of Promis and Dolce is that they were priced in the $150-$165 bottle range. They cost me about $36 and $49 respectively, so worth the schlepping if that is, in fact, the price range on Regent.

Secondary issue re: packaging a dark suit for men. My thinking is to go with the proverbial blue blazer as my dress-up option, as I can wear it on the plane and stay light on my packing. Am I likely to feel under-dressed sans a suit in the most dressed up environs (I assume Prime 7 and/or Chartreuse)? Am I correct that there are no formal or semi-formal nights.

The reserve wine list in my suite lists the Dolce Far Niente 2010, 375ml, at $95.

The Gaja Promis is not listed. There are 8 Super Tuscans listed, from $60 to $335, most priced at the lower end of the scale.

I brought a suit and sport coat. In general most guests are leaning towards elegant casual, and I have not had a reason to bring out the suit. Everyone is dressed nicely, but not formally. Formal Option is only on cruises of 15 nights or more. A sports coat in the specialty restaurants is perfect, with or without a tie.

Edited by Anchorbuoy

The reserve wine list in my suite lists the Dolce Far Niente 2010, 375ml, at $95.

The Gaja Promis is not listed. There are 8 Super Tuscans listed, from $60 to $335, most priced at the lower end of the scale.

I brought a suit and sport coat. In general most guests are leaning towards elegant casual, and I have not had a reason to bring out the suit. Everyone is dressed nicely, but not formally. Formal Option is only on cruises of 15 nights or more. A sports coat in the specialty restaurants is perfect, with or without a tie.

Really prompt follow-up, thanks. I'm saving packing the suit based on your info. Reasonable onboard price for Dolce.

The Gaja Promis has been an on-board staple on Oceania, usually centrally displayed in the glass wine wall in their main dining room, so surprised if not carried. Sometimes listed as some shortened version of "Gaja Promis Ca' Marcanda". If you get a chance could you see or ask if the included wine list offers any Ripasso? Not asking about cousin "Amorone" as I believe lowest one is at least $12-$15 over the cost threshold on which they operate.

Again, many thanks.

I have another question about the suites. In all the other Regent ships the time on the clock in the suite cannot be viewed in the dark, the illumination if there is one is not effective. As a result we always bring a portable battery operated digital one. What is the situation on the Explorer

I have another question about the suites. In all the other Regent ships the time on the clock in the suite cannot be viewed in the dark, the illumination if there is one is not effective. As a result we always bring a portable battery operated digital one. What is the situation on the Explorer

Bring your own. The clock in our suite is the same analog clock found on all Regent ships. No illumination.

Really prompt follow-up, thanks. I'm saving packing the suit based on your info. Reasonable onboard price for Dolce.

The Gaja Promis has been an on-board staple on Oceania, usually centrally displayed in the glass wine wall in their main dining room, so surprised if not carried. Sometimes listed as some shortened version of "Gaja Promis Ca' Marcanda". If you get a chance could you see or ask if the included wine list offers any Ripasso? Not asking about cousin "Amorone" as I believe lowest one is at least $12-$15 over the cost threshold on which they operate.

Again, many thanks.

Ripasso is not onboard.

Our Kotor sailaway was special not only for the magnificent setting and scenery but also for our visit on Deck 12 with the only crew member from Montenegro, assistant Compass Rose server Aleksandra (Sandra) Ilic. Sandra was able to show her mom, sister and brother around the Explorer today, before the four of them took a walk in town. No wonder she's so happy tonight!

63635265497619bb405e74612dde3f51.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An illuminated clock would cast unwanted light on those who prefer to sleep in a dark room. Checking the time during the night is one of the things smart phones are for!

An illuminated clock would cast unwanted light on those who prefer to sleep in a dark room. Checking the time during the night is one of the things smart phones are for!

But we do not have a smart phone and our mobile is useless at night. We have also been in suites on other cruise lines and hotel rooms where there is an illuminated clock and it does not lighten the room. It should not be too difficult for Regent to resolve this issue

Agree with JPR - do not want more lights in the suite. Regent purchases special drapes, etc. to insure that customers can sleep in a dark room (as recommended by most doctors).

I recently purchased a LED motion light that we put in the bathroom on the ship . When it senses movement, it lights up and stays on 20 seconds or so after the movement stops. I purchased it with the expectation that the magnet in the light would attach to the wall. Since that doesn't work on the Explorer (but does on other ships), I prop it up by the mirror. I check the time when the light is on or use a tiny little pin light to illuminate the clock. IMO, this isn't a Regent problem to fix - it is more a personal preference thing. If I needed a lighted clock, I have a $10 battery one that I could easily pack in my luggage.

P.S. Many watches can be read in the dark without illuminating anything.

Edited by Travelcat2

P.S. Many watches can be read in the dark without illuminating anything.

........................as do many bedside clocks, or they have a press switch on them to illuminate the face as required.

Pity Regent did not think to choose the bedside clocks more wisely on their new ship as we are fed up having to bring our own on Regent cruises

Maybe it was an outlier but on my recent Mariner cruise in May, the normal bedside clock was actually visible in the dark at times. I found that if I just glanced at the clock the hands were not visible in the dark. However, if I looked at the clock for five seconds or so, the clock hands became visible. Give it a try and see what happens. :D

Maybe it was an outlier but on my recent Mariner cruise in May, the normal bedside clock was actually visible in the dark at times. I found that if I just glanced at the clock the hands were not visible in the dark. However, if I looked at the clock for five seconds or so, the clock hands became visible. Give it a try and see what happens. :D

Wish I were back onboard so I could try that. I guess that complaining about clocks is not a big deal - there has to be something on the new ship that people don't like. I remember when there was a big "to do" about the one chair in the suites. You can't please everyone. If there was a digital clock in the suites, there would be people covering it because it was too bright. I do look forward to more people actually sailing on the Explorer so they can see how beautiful she actually is (probably not perfect but as close as you can get on a luxury cruise ship today).

Edited by Travelcat2

I was in dereliction of my self-imposed nightcap reporting duties last night. The bed just looked too comfortable when we returned to our room after the Regent players' "My Revolution."

The third of the four productions the Regent team will be doing, "My Revolution" is described as "an enthralling musical that takes the audience back to when Beatlemania an the British Invasion hit North America and the music and dance that defined this unique area." The show started with a four-song Beatles blast and ended 45 nonstop minutes later with an all-out "My Generation," earning the biggest response of any of the shows so far. Cast singers Isaak, Lisa, Jace, Amanda, Robin and Amanda are set to hit the stage again tonight with "Broadway Cabaret."

We're due to dock in just over an hour and a half in Split, Croatia's second largest city, which traces its routes back to the 4th Century BC, when it was founded as a Greek colony under a different name. Since we've never been to Split, we opted for Highlights of the Split Riviera, which includes a walking tour of Split as well as visits to two other towns and a local performance. We're also hoping to say hi to a favorite GM, Davor, who we hear may be visiting the Explorer. Davor lives in Split, where he is currently on holiday.

Rich