Random Notes, Explorer Maiden Voyage, LIVE

Mr Rumor

Big thank you to Mr. Rumor, Jackie, and so many of you who weighed in with impressions and opinions of the suites....you've tipped the scales for us and we booked the Seven Seas Suite for this winter.... I'm now especially confident it will be sensational! Please keep these posts coming. Many of us are hanging on your every word!

Anchorbuoy: Thank you SO much for taking those photos and spelling out those details. As OrpingtonT (bless his soul) and others may know, the width of the bed is a major point for us. Both of us being restless sleepers, we are really uncomfortable in a queen size bed. The fact that Regent had kings in all the suites was the reason we chose Regent/Radisson to begin with; it was/is an absolute deal-breaker. (Of course we love so much else about Regent now as well.) I would not have known about the genuine down-grade on Explorer if you had not kindly noted that "detail." This much saddens me, as it means that I'd not be able to book a G category suite. Thanks once again.

poss, have you thought about having the bed separated into twins? We used to have a heck of a time sleeping in anything smaller than a king size bed on ships. Now, when the beds seem too small, they are separated and we both sleep fine (actually, it does help that when we are onboard a ship we don't have three cats sleeping with us:-)

with my honey is my greatest pleasure in life. Would give up everything else before I'd voluntarily give that up, even for a short time. Which probably sounds pathetic, but 'tis what 'tis.

Anchorbuoy: Thank you SO much for taking those photos and spelling out those details. As OrpingtonT (bless his soul) and others may know, the width of the bed is a major point for us. Both of us being restless sleepers, we are really uncomfortable in a queen size bed. The fact that Regent had kings in all the suites was the reason we chose Regent/Radisson to begin with; it was/is an absolute deal-breaker. (Of course we love so much else about Regent now as well.) I would not have known about the genuine down-grade on Explorer if you had not kindly noted that "detail." This much saddens me, as it means that I'd not be able to book a G category suite. Thanks once again.

First, I apologize for some of the photos. I took pictures with my iPad and posted "medium" size with the Tapatalk app. Somehow they came out different sizes.

I was surprised about the bed sizes, since I thought Regent stated that all of the bedding would be the same on Explorer across all categories. In fact, the Regent website, as of today, lists "European King Size Elite Slumber Bedding" for categories H thru Master Suite. Yet they are smaller in G , and presumably in H.

Anchorbuoy, great job taking and posting all those G2 suite photos!

It was a full day for us--so full we missed not only trivia (sorry, team!) but also the Titanium, Platinum and Gold members reception (we didn't get to our room until 6:40). But Taormina and Lunch in a Private Villa was worth it.

Remember in Godfather I when Apollonia is murdered in a car explosion, and in Godfather III when Michael dies alone in the courtyard? Those scenes and others were filmed at Castello deli Schiavi, which looks like it belongs on a studio lot. Owner Franco Platania--the mansion has been in his family for more than 200 years--was there to host us and answer questions in one of the upstairs rooms. We got to watch film clips of all the Godfather scenes featuring the mansion before retiring to the atmospheric cellar for a three-course lunch where we were serenaded by a trio of strolling musicians.

We would have been sated if the excursion ended there, but we were then driven to Taormina, where some of us did a walking tour in the heat that included the Greco-Roman Theater (interesting to see it all set up for a concert that night). We had about an hour of free time after that before being driven back to our tender. Our group joked that we'd be testing the Explorer's water system when we all turned on our showers at the same moment.

Not feeling up to a two-hour-plus Compass Rose dinner, we parked ourselves at a two-top less than ten feet away from Sette Mari's open kitchen. There we dined on appetizers and dessert while taking in Regent Explorer's version of a Food Network show with no-nonsense La Veranda Chef Bogdan Kocember leading his crack culinary team through a fast-paced dinner service. How fun it is to have a Sette Mari open kitchen--Like! Another Like: Sette Mari's gelato bar--six flavors to choose from!

Tomorrow: Valletta, Malta. Now: Sleep!

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Hope you get a good night's rest. Didn't realize that what looked like an ice cream bar in Sette Mari was actually gelato. In any case, I could not resist it and it was very yummy:)

It sounds as if you are loving the Explorer as much as we did. Just think..... in November, we can help the other 65 or so CC'ers find their way around this beautiful ship. That will be a much more relaxing cruise for both of us!

Anchorbuoy, I was told that the concierge, F1 and F2 suites are identical inside - only the balconies differ in size. I love that you are doing all of these measurements - thank you!

Edited by Travelcat2

Anchorbuoy-- if you can possible manage to check bed size in F suites, I'd be much obliged (as I already am!) I just don't trust anything I read from Regent about this ship, nor what I hear from Regent reps. The super-super kindness of the posters on board these two cruises has been invaluable.

I agree with Rich about the differences and I too prefer the Concierge suite.

I stayed in a deck 9 Concierge suite for the Christening cruise and am now in a deck 12 PH.

One other difference is that the balcony in my Concierge was 1/3 deeper than the one in the PH. I'm sure the PH balcony is wider since the cabin is larger but the depth made a big difference to me - the lounge chair in the PH faces the divider wall while the one for the Concierge faced the water.

One plus for the PH is that the marble sink counter in the is white and in the Concierge is black.

In general: many of us are finding that magnets do not work on the walls - hard to post things as in the past.

Having mentioned the above, I think the ship is stunning - I love the original paintings and the classic photos.

Peggy

It was a full day for us--so full we missed not only trivia (sorry, team!) but also the Titanium, Platinum and Gold members reception .

Rich

Sorry you missed the TPG event. It was one on the most memorable gatherings we have experienced on Regent. Actually it was a concert, after the usual opening remarks, cocktails and appetizers. It even had a printed program with Salvo Todaro's biography and a list of music for the 6 songs. The singing was spectacular and he received a standing ovation at the end, followed by an encore.

Anchorbuoy, I had a feeling that Salvo Todaro's performance was going to be something special (I had even Googled him), so I definitely regret not being there. It is the one TPG event Ginny and I have missed!

Peggy/xrvlcruiser, we love that our lounge chair faces the water (Concierge) rather than the divider (Penthouse), so that's another point for Concierge.

We're due to dock in Valletta in about an hour. We are scheduled for a four-hour morning tour, Rabat, Mdina and Dingli Cliffs. Scanning today's Passages, we see we have a Sailaway Fiesta on the Pool Deck from 5:45-6:30, followed later tonight by the Regent cast's "A Day in Hollywood," billed as a "Tony Award-winning tribute to Hollywood," featuring some of the greatest music ever written for the Silver Screen."

Rich

P.S. Eliana, the two Picassos are lithos signed by the artist. I haven't checked out the Chagall yet.

Anchorbuoy-- if you can possible manage to check bed size in F suites, I'd be much obliged (as I already am!) I just don't trust anything I read from Regent about this ship, nor what I hear from Regent reps. The super-super kindness of the posters on board these two cruises has been invaluable.

Poss, we're in an F2 cabin and the bed is large...at least a king, it almost seems larger if there is such a thing. You and your honey will sleep well. :)

This thread has been most informative. Anchorbuoy, we particularly appreciate the G2 suite photos - we've booked that level for both of our upcoming cruises and wondered if we should try and upgrade to an F, but the pics and the fact that G2 suites are the same size as standard (H-D) Mariner suites is reassuring. This thread has been a wonderful font of useful information and commentary!

BRAVO:)

Poss: You are a true romantic!

Petlover: How do you like your F2 suite? Any positives and negatives? The sofa looks a little small on most of the pics we've seen. We are booked on Suite 816 for the Nov TA and would love to hear more about the F2 suites if possible. Thanks.

Z and TB

Wow! This has been a wonderful thread! Thank you, everyone for great descriptions of food, artwork (haha!), CABINS, etc. From all I have read, we very pleased that we're booked in a concierge suite. Even before some of the critiques of the PH's came in, I, personally didn't care for the layouts of them. Continue to " keep calm and sail on" and enjoy every second. See many of you on the TA! (did I say, "I can't wait!" haha!)

We are booked on Suite 816 for the Nov TA ...

Z and TB

We hope you are delighted with suite 816...we'll be in it for the 25th Anniversary Cruise in April. Please post something, especially about the verandah which (on the deck plans) appears to benefit from being at the transition to the wider verandahs astern of it.

Mudhem, You will no doubt be thrilled with your Concierge suite. We are enjoying the deep balcony and can move the lounger to any position we want.

We are traveling with friends in the next cabin and the balcony connection is open at the railing section. We have over 6' of depth that is still private and have the convenience of visiting if we want. Add that the Mr. Rumours 'likes'!

Our day in Malta is coming to an end. It is like no place that I have ever visited. I particularly enjoyed wandering ancient nooks and crannies with long lane ways of shallow stairs. The people are gracious and welcoming. I will see if any of my photos are cc worthy.

Sea day tomorrow. I will seek out Explorer logo merchandise.

For comparison what's the size of the concierge and F suite beds.

The penthouse bed measures roughly 76 x 75 inches. This mattress is thicker than the others.

The concierge bed measures roughly 72 x 75 inches.

The G2 bed measures roughly 64 x 75 inches.

I say "roughly" because mattresses are not perfectly defined rectangles. There are curves at the edges. But I measured all 3 styles at the same (maximum) points.

I am very surprised by the measurements of the bedding, but I saw this for myself. Had I not seen the differences, I would have assumed they would have stocked one standard size. "European King Size Elite Slumber Bedding" has a meaning that has confused me.