Random Notes, Explorer Maiden Voyage, LIVE

Mr Rumor

Thanks Rich for more beautiful Explorer pix and special thanks to Peggy for her splendid Explorer assessment after spending nearly two weeks on board.

Jodephone, believe the Voyager refurb takes place once the Voyager arrives in Barcelona on Oct 14th and ends on/around early November as the next Voyager sailing begins November 9th from Dubai. Hope Jackie is correct --after Voyager refurb---besides getting the new CR menu's, Signatures will be transformed into Chartreuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by WesW

Rich (and others), have you noticed the leather floor in the library? It's worth visiting just to smell the leather:)

Also Rich, I'm guessing you may comment on the tables and chairs in the theater behind the columns. I suspect that these will be moved, There was apparently some last minute rearrangement of the tables in the theater shortly before she started sailing.

"Peninsula of Hilltop Villages," namely Grimaud, Gassin and Ramatuelle, was a really nice excursion, enhanced by the commentary of our jolly guide Sylvia. It felt good burning off a few calories walking uphill at each of the stops.

After a light lunch in Compass Rose (the jumbo shrimp and bay shrimp are now apparently daily lunch staples--yay!), we relaxed until Trivia with CD Ray in the Observation Lounge. We partnered with our pals Jim and Karen and new friends Alan and Colleen, but didn't finish in the money. (And we thought CD Jamie's questions were tough!)

Dinner in Compass Rose with Jim and Karen was highlighted by the best Maine Lobster Tail I've ever enjoyed in CR. I had almost given up on CR (and even Prime 7) lobster, finding past servings to be tough, overcooked and/or just plain tasteless. My generous serving tonight was melt in your mouth delicious. And just to think, it is now available every night in CR, as are an expanded list of tempting fish/seafood and meat offerings. Which, Pamela, brings me to your question about sauces. The CR menu now lists a suggested sauce for each always-available entree. Get ready to lick your lips, here are the pairings:

Fish and Seafood

Jumbo Shrimp/Garlic Herb Butter

Maine Lobster Tail/Hollandaise Sauce

King Sea Scallops/Lemon Cream or Mango Peach Salsa

Norwegian Salmon Filet/Beurre Blanc

Whole Dover Sole/Melted Butter

Bronzino/Creamy Herb Sauce

Meat

Black Angus New York Strip Steak/Green Peppercorn

Black Angus Rib Eye Steak/Bearnaise or Chimichurri

Black Angus Filet Mignon/Madeira/Truffle

New Zealand Lamb Chops/Mint Sauce or Mint Jelly

Marco Farms Veal Medallions/Demi Glacé or Mushroom

Half Roast Chicken/Cranberry Relish or Thai Sweet Chili

Tomorrow it's Sanary Sur Mer, where we have booked the five-hour Aix-En-Provence excursion. We'll be tendering again and hope the ride is better than the rough return to the ship we had today--the highlight of which came at the biggest pitch when Ginny and I performed a perfectly choreographed maneuver known as the "rear end lift."

Rich

P.S. Just saw your post, Jackie. I'm still getting my thoughts together on the Constellation Theater, and will be posting about it soon.

P.P.S. Thanks, Wes, Rick, Pam and everyone else for all your thanks and nice words. We're all glad to have you along!

Edited by Mr Rumor

Mr. Rumor and all the others who are live blogging, first of all, thank you for taking time out from your vacation! Now, you have inspired us so much so that we have decided to book the Stockholm/London or vice versa on the Explorer next summer to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary - the decision was made at dinner tonight and our lovely travel agent was contacted.

Edited by elmwood

"Peninsula of Hilltop Villages," namely Grimaud, Gassin and Ramatuelle, was a really nice excursion, enhanced by the commentary of our jolly guide Sylvia. It felt good burning off a few calories walking uphill at each of the stops.

After a light lunch in Compass Rose (the jumbo shrimp and bay shrimp are now apparently daily lunch staples--yay!), we relaxed until Trivia with CD Ray in the Observation Lounge. We partnered with our pals Jim and Karen and new friends Alan and Colleen, but didn't finish in the money. (And we thought CD Jamie's questions were tough!)

Dinner in Compass Rose with Jim and Karen was highlighted by the best Maine Lobster Tail I've ever enjoyed in CR. I had almost given up on CR (and even Prime 7) lobster, finding past servings to be tough, overcooked and/or just plain tasteless. My generous serving tonight was melt in your mouth delicious. And just to think, it is now available every night in CR, as are an expanded list of tempting fish/seafood and meat offerings. Which, Pamela, brings me to your question about sauces. The CR menu now lists a suggested sauce for each always-available entree. Get ready to lick your lips, here are the pairings:

Fish and Seafood

Jumbo Shrimp/Garlic Herb Butter

Maine Lobster Tail/Hollandaise Sauce

King Sea Scallops/Lemon Cream or Mango Peach Salsa

Norwegian Salmon Filet/Beurre Blanc

Whole Dover Sole/Melted Butter

Bronzino/Creamy Herb Sauce

Meat

Black Angus New York Strip Steak/Green Peppercorn

Black Angus Rib Eye Steak/Bearnaise or Chimichurri

Black Angus Filet Mignon/Madeira/Truffle

New Zealand Lamb Chops/Mint Sauce or Mint Jelly

Marco Farms Veal Medallions/Demi Glacé or Mushroom

Half Roast Chicken/Cranberry Relish or Thai Sweet Chili

Tomorrow it's Sanary Sur Mer, where we have booked the five-hour Aix-En-Provence excursion. We'll be tendering again and hope the ride is better than the rough return to the ship we had today--the highlight of which came at the biggest pitch when Ginny and I performed a perfectly choreographed maneuver known as the "rear end lift."

Rich

P.S. Just saw your post, Jackie. I'm still getting my thoughts together on the Constellation Theater, and will be posting about it soon.

P.P.S. Thanks, Wes, Rick, Pam and everyone else for all your thanks and nice words. We're all glad to have you along!

Hi Rich, Thank you very much for taking the time to reply about the sauces, they all sound amazing.

Hope you have a wonderful tour in Aix-En-Provence and that your tender is a little bit more gentle than yesterday.

Pam.

Something new ? Or not , last night upon arrival at compass rose at 6.30pm ( it was empty) we were 'encouraged' to dine elsewhere and offered the specialty restaurants instead , catch being a share table however . I believe as it was the captains dinner last night they were expecting a full house ? Also they now ask for your cabin number before seating you .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We're 716 passengers strong on the MV! As on every Regent cruise we've been on so far, women outnumber the men (364-352 this time), although, interestingly, the Italy breakdown is a rout for the men: 12-1. I assumed we have a number of Italian workers on board doing behind-the-scenes work, but I was told that's not the case. So that number, for now, remains a little mystery.

Without further ado, the Nationality Breakdown:

United States, 514

United Kingdom, 82

Canada, 30

Australia, 23

Mexico, 14

Italy, 12

Germany, 9

France, 5

New Zealand, 3

South Africa, 3

Austria, 2

Belgium, 2

El Salvador, 2

Lithuania, 2

Netherlands, 2

Norway, 2

Poland, 2

Switzerland, 2

Taiwan, Province of China 2

Finland, 1

Greece, 1

Morocco, 1

Edited by Mr Rumor

Something new ? Or not , last night upon arrival at compass rose at 6.30pm ( it was empty) we were 'encouraged' to dine elsewhere and offered the specialty restaurants instead , catch being a share table however . I believe as it was the captains dinner last night they were expecting a full house ? Also they now ask for your cabin number before seating you .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why do they ask for your cabin number? Surely they don't think you are stowaways!

Thanks to all the posters. Enjoying this MV cruise with you from home. The new menus look amazing, tough decisions when making choices at dinner for sure.

That's a great idea the cannopy above the deck loungers I your last photo Mr Rumour. Every little detail seems taken care of. Have a great day today in port. Jean.

Thanks to this blog and Jackie's we feel so much more informed and prepared for our November transatlantic cruise onboard the Explorer. You guys rock! Enjoy your time onboard and have a Hendrick's and tonic for me.

If you run into Olga the bartender, please tell her that Roberto and Pam say hello and hope that she is on board in November. Thanks!:D

Z and TB

Pam, the sauces are available, as are the sides, with any dish. The choice is yours!

Randall,

Love seeing a post from management!! Has the bourbon choices improved any over the last year or two? I have envied the vodka and gin drinkers with so many high end choices.

Dennis

Dennis,

I'm not a bourbon connoisseur but had the F&B Director confirm our bourbon selections on board as: Jack Daniel’s, Maker’s Mark, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey.

Dennis,

I'm not a bourbon connoisseur but had the F&B Director confirm our bourbon selections on board as: Jack Daniel’s, Maker’s Mark, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey.

I certainly don't want to make this wonderful thread about booze but would love to see RSSC add a Woodford Reserve or Buffalo Trace to the mix. They are no more expensive than the vodkas and gins.

Dennis

Rich,

Thanks. I've enjoyed your posts from the Explorer as well as TC's posts from the previous cruise. They give everyone a real feel for the ship. I can't wait until the November transatlantic.

To make things easier to read, please do not post large format photos. When a large format photo is posted, it plays havoc with the text of all messages on that page of the thread. On my PC, I have to scroll to see an entire line of text and, on my Ipad, the text becomes very small so that an entire line can be viewed without scrolling. Medium format photos work fine.

Thanks again for taking the time to bring us along on your cruise.

Pam, the sauces are available, as are the sides, with any dish. The choice is yours!

Hi Randall,

Thank you,i'm very pleased about that.

We will be on the Mariner in October, will the same menu be available there?

Pam.

Mr Rumor, (Rich)

Again thank you for the pictures, the deck with the canopy seems a lot wider than the other ships, is this the jogging track deck also?

Also well done on the trivia, i'm sure by the end you will have accumulated lots of Regent reward points.

Pam.