Random Notes, Explorer Maiden Voyage, LIVE

Mr Rumor

Lisa and witt's end, I'm glad you made it to Monaco, but sorry that some of your luggage didn't! Sending good thoughts that the bags will be delivered before we sail.

We're safe and sound at the Riviera Marriott in Cap d' Ail, which is literally just across the street from the principality. We're happy with the Marriott and we like our room (309), which has a view of the little harbor. There are about 70 Regent passengers here, with other Regent folk bedding down at the Fairmont, Monte Carlo Bay and the Boscolo Exedra in Nice.

Our three flights went as well as could be expected (Heathrow is always a trial for us--no different this time). It seemed business as usual in the Nice airport and during our drive through and out of town. But Paul, our guide, probably read our minds by immediately addressing the terrible event of last week: "It's been a difficult few days here--everyone was touched by this. But we're not going to let them win."

After we checked into our room in mid-afternoon, Ginny was content to putter around while I stretched my legs on a brisk walk into Monaco. Then, on a receptionist's enthusiastic recommendation we walked down the street to A'Trego for a lovely light dinner of salads and pasta on the terrace. So we're well fed but still hungry for the adventure that starts tomorrow!

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Have a wonderful voyage Rich and Ginny. Wish we were sharing this one with you and all the others. We will need to be satisfied with your wonderful reporting which will help significantly.

Ann and Shel

Edited by Eager2Travel

Have a great trip. Hope everyone's luggage catches up. That seems to be a common issue with connections at LHR. At least, it has been for us. But I have always eventually gotten my luggage back. Have spent a few nights sleeping au naturale due to it, and a couple sleeping in a hotel robe when I was traveling with my son, but it eventually arrived.

Rachel - Perhaps that was a bit TMI, as we always picture you in your haute couture outfits, rather than in none. ;)

Rich - Previous posters have kindly posted the remarkable menu of Chartreuse and the always available items of lobster and filet mignon in CR. Would you be so kind as to verify that those excellent offerings were not only for the christening voyage populated with TA's and travel writers but will continue to be offered on regular revenue sailings?

Further, although you might not be able to get a genuine answer to this query, will those offerings be included on the other ships as they undergo their respective dry docks to convert Signatures to Chartreuse?

We eagerly look forward to reading your delightful descriptions of life on Explorer.

Cheers, Fred

Edited by freddie

Wow, great photo, Lisa! Glad you got an Explorer snap, too, witt's end! If only I had opened my curtain a little earlier. . . I have been awake since about 4:30, when the wheels began to turn in the dark. Who's excited?

Rich

Witt's end, I think you might be in the room just below us! I think I am going to dance a little jig now. Let me know if you hear someone thumping on the ceiling!

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is the view from the breakfast buffet at the Fairmont. Judging from the thin attendance at breakfast, I would have guessed that there are not many of us at this hotel. However, there are 4 buses to shuttle us to the ship. 28ba16c666d6a002181db9b2d14891b7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What a view, Jim! Attendance was sparse at our breakfast buffet, too. We have two shuttles for 70 or so passengers, so there must be 100+ at the Fairmont if you have four shuttles.

It's a lovely morning, and already (at about 9:15 a.m.) starting to get quite warm. Ginny discovered a small strip of beach just down the block, so the beachcomber is there rifling through the sand for tumbled shards of glass, shells, etc. as I type this. We need to have our bags outside the door by 9:30, after which we may take a stroll. Our bus is scheduled to depart at noon.

This is already shaping up to be one fun joint blog. Hoping that other members of our Roll Call will be posting, too. (Btw, I see we're all getting good at Tapatalk and Forums Mobile App!)

Wanted to quickly acknowledge once again all the nice comments and good-trip wishes, as well as the questions from freddie and eliana (will work on getting the answers). Also one final tip of the hat to Travelcat2 for her exhaustive reporting of the christening cruise. Jackie, you really did us MV bloggers a big favor by covering all the bases you managed to cover. Thanks! Now wishing you and Dennis a safe journey home + some rest. . . .

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Like us , perhaps guests are in town buying clothes . Regent desk advised 6 couples from the 2.25pm LHR BA flight have reported lost / delayed baggage .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am happy to see my luggage! I hope others have success too.

As I sit on our very large balcony watching Monte Carlo harbour bustle, all I can say is WOW!!

This ship is absolutely amazing! The spa is over the top with the addition of climate experiences - cold room and experiential showers, relaxation room, plus sauna and steam. The infinity pool has a very small area around it and it is very unique.

We are in Concierge D. The walk-in closet is large and there is more storage than the two of us need. The bathroom (again, lots of storage) has 2 sinks, a tub and shower plus What look like nice Regent toiletries. The foot of the bed is towards the sliding doors and additional window. That orientation is different than other suites.

Again, WOW!

We have just been called to muster so more later.

Thank you all for posting. Following along on your journey. We're looking at a Carib cruise in early December so I've been checking out cabins. According to cruisedeckplans.com (very reliable site) the concierge and F1 and F2 are:

332 sq. ft. with a balcony of 83 sq. ft. The G's are 253 sq. ft. with 55 sq. ft. balcony.

If anyone is in a G suite-- or has a chance to see a couple of them-- I'd much appreciate hearing how they compare to the lower suites on Mariner/Voyager (in which we've always been very happy campers). E.g. do they seem about the same size and comfort level as the oldies but goodies? (We will definitely miss the extra chair and would much prefer a sofa to a love seat. I mean how am I going to stretch out and put my feet up on my sweet husband's lap and get those yummy foot massages while we're watching the recorded lectures or whatever!)

Are there discernible differences among the G suites? (Website makes it seem so, even to the size of the balconies.)

Have a most terrific time, all you MCers! And may all the luggage soon arrive. That cannot be fun at all (especially for those who don't enjoy shopping).

Edited by poss

I am happy to see my luggage! I hope others have success too.

As I sit on our very large balcony watching Monte Carlo harbour bustle' date=' all I can say is WOW!!

This ship is absolutely amazing! The spa is over the top with the addition of climate experiences - cold room and experiential showers, relaxation room, plus sauna and steam. The infinity pool has a very small area around it and it is very unique.

We are in Concierge D. The walk-in closet is large and there is more storage than the two of us need. The bathroom (again, lots of storage) has 2 sinks, a tub and shower plus What look like nice Regent toiletries. The foot of the bed is towards the sliding doors and additional window. That orientation is different than other suites.

Again, WOW!

We have just been called to muster so more later.[/quote']

The Regent web site, under "Our Ships" shows Explorer "Under Construction"!

Bon voyage, and a few questions for the Maiden Voyagers:

1. Are any of the NCLH/Regent Execs staying on board for the maiden voyage? i.e. Mr DelRio and others

2. What special events have been planned for the voyage?

3. What criteria is being applied for access to the Infinity Pool?

4. Is there a bar/lounge close to Chartreuse & Prime 7 on deck 10, where you can meet with fellow diners for a pre-dinner drink?

5. Who is occupying the Regent Suite?..............and has anyone snagged an invite to cocktails in the mega-suite? ;)

6. How is the Wi-Fi?

Hope everyone has a fabulous cruise and that all luggage catches up quickly. (BA & LHR claim that they don't 'lose' luggage but occasionally 'mislay' bags for short periods :rolleyes::rolleyes:)