Random Notes, Explorer Maiden Voyage, LIVE

Mr Rumor

Did you know that Barcelona is the No. 1 cruise port in the world outside of Florida? I didn't until our guide Anthony informed us this morning at the outset of our Gaudi-themed excursion.

In one port every blog I like to report who signed up for what excursion. So in honor of Barcelona's lofty cruise port status, I thought I'd go with Barcelona this cruise. Here is the rundown:

Barcelona's Iconic Landmarks, 120

Gaudi's Barcelona with Colonial Guell (three departures), 108

Leisurely Barcelona, 88

Bodegas Torres Wine Tour, 67

Wine Tour to Jean Leon, 48

Montserrat and Barcelona, 36

Block Party starts n 15 minutes--gotta run!

Rich

Just found a 17 minute video (with 3 commercials) of the suites (sorry poss - even this doesn't show suites below concierge which are basically the same as F1 and F2).

For those of you that have yet to board the Explorer or are onboard now but would like to view other suites, IMO, this is a great way to see them.

An old Regent issue on many threads is coffee. Many do not like the coffee on Regent, whether it's the water or the beans (generally illy espresso full roast) is constantly argued about. What is it like on the Explorer?

Just found a 17 minute video (with 3 commercials) of the suites (sorry poss - even this doesn't show suites below concierge which are basically the same as F1 and F2).

For those of you that have yet to board the Explorer or are onboard now but would like to view other suites, IMO, this is a great way to see them.

Thank you for the video link.....I notice it didn't bother with the 'cheap' suites ;-)

They are pretty amazing, but I must admit as being at a total loss as to understand why one would need a grand piano!

They are pretty amazing, but I must admit as being at a total loss as to understand why one would need a grand piano!

Agree with you. Unless you enjoy playing the piano, it is just a nice thing to look at. My sister would do well as she was professional while I do a pretty mean "Chopsticks":D

In terms of coffee on the Explorer, I don't think it is any different than on other ships. My DH still enjoys a "Double Americano" and I still enjoy my "French Coffee" in the afternoon. While I don't want this to become another coffee discussion, everyone has their own tastes and desired strengths in coffee. There does not seem to be one that fits all.

poss and Kwaj girl, having been in some of the lower category suites (unfortunately not the one that poss wants to see), they are compact but very well appointed. They are considerably smaller than the suites on the Mariner (that, as most know is smaller than on the Voyager or Navigator).

If you look closely at the pricing on the Explorer, it is well within line with other Regent ships.

For instance...... a 10 night Alaska cruise next month (ends in S.F.) in the lowest suite on the Mariner is approx. $15K. A 10 night Caribbean cruise next February in a F1 suite on the Explorer (close to the same size suite as the Mariner) is $13.6K.

Also, 10 years ago we paid $16K for a suite on the Voyager (Baltic - 7 nights). While not the same itinerary, a 14 night transatlantic crossing on the Explorer in a F1 (or 2 - not sure) is $15.2K.

Obviously I'm not quoting the lower suites as they do not compare in size with Regent's other ships (but there are more luxurious).

Edited by Travelcat2

We have no fewer than 86 Titanium-tier Seven Seas Society members on the MV. That is by far the most we've ever cruised with. Here are the SSS numbers, by tier:

Titanium, 86

Platinum, 119

Gold, 214

Silver, 283

Bronze, 6

The Titanium, Platinum an Gold reception is scheduled for the Constellation Theater on Wednesday at 6 p.m. Italian baritone Salvo Todaro will perform. But first up is the SSS party in the theater tomorrow at 6. CD Ray has promised a "special surprise" for that event.

The new song and dance troupe hit the stage for the second time tonight, performing the Peggy Lee-themed "I Love Being Here With You." The cast is bigger than the Jean Ann Ryan troupe--a dozen strong, in fact--and boasts twice the number of dedicated vocalists (four compared to two). The cast: singers Lisa Kuhnen, Isaak Olson, Amanda Jarufe, and Jace Reinhard; singer/dancers Amanda Lane and Robin Timm, and dancers Eric Webb, Jessica Southern, Jamie Evenden, Emily Evenden, Maksym Horbunov and Safiya Koifman. While we miss not having an aerial team any longer (a JAR staple), we are definitely warming up to this talented, well-rehearsed group.

Besides getting to know the Explorer even better tomorrow on our first sea day, I'm looking forward to hearing the first lecture from the MV's second celebrity speaker, planetary scientist Dr. Alan Stern. Stern, who is leading NASA's New Horizons mission to the Pluto system and the Kuiper Belt, will be speaking on "The Exploration of Pluto."

Then there's another talk by outstanding Smithsonian lecturer Terry Bishop ("1943 --The First D-Days. . . . The End of Axis Italy"), "The New Explorer Wine Selection & Tasting," in Compass Rose, the Spanish Buffet on the Pool Deck and the not-to-be-missed Chocoholics Tea Time. I'm hoping that a few rich chocolate treats will power the Just Guessing team to a strong showing at trivia (the competition has been tough!).

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

In addition to the look of luxury the piano seems to intimate, if the guests in the suites with pianos care to have other guests in for cocktails, a piano being played softly in the background lends atmosphere to the occasion.

Mr. Rumor,

If you get a chance please consider posting a wine list if you go to "The New Explorer Wine Selection & Tasting," in Compass Rose.

Thank you for your continued lovely balanced posts.

Correction: The Superior Suites on the Explorer (same size as the Concierge Suites) are much larger than the verandah suites on Mariner and larger than those and the Penthouse Suites on Voyager and Navigator.

The Penthouse Suites on Mariner are larger than the Superior and Concierge Suites on Explorer.

A glorrrrious good morning to you (hey, I'm suddenly talking like Ray Solaire!) from the spacious veranda of La Veranda. Sea day today! The four-top in the foreground is reserved for you--please join us!

3b8783724f622ffc4cfbf594d0b0e7aa.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

poss and Kwaj girl, having been in some of the lower category suites (unfortunately not the one that poss wants to see), they are compact but very well appointed. They are considerably smaller than the suites on the Mariner (that, as most know is smaller than on the Voyager or Navigator).

Apologies Mr Rumor, I really don't mean to hijack this great thread but I suspect I am not alone in being troubled by comparisons of the sizes of the 'steerage suites' on Explorer with those on Mariner.

I have just checked the Regent website and this shows (not including verandahs):

Explorer G2 : Suite 253 ft2

Mariner G : Suite 252 ft2

Obviously layout and fixtures necessarily affect subjective impressions of sizing but any further information would certainly be most welcome :)

It took me a sea day to discover this: The framed vintage B&W photos that decorate the walls of the passenger decks are arranged by theme. Deck 6 is glamor/fashion, Deck 7 is automotive, Decks 8 and 12 are sand and surf, Deck 9 is Hollywood, Deck 10 is cruising/yachting and Deck 14 (where two Picasso lithos guard the entrance to the Regent Suite) is international travel. Below is a snap from Deck 8:

a6023ecf61f3576652c4dc4e4185faea.jpg

Here's another "Like": Plastic door newspaper/mail receptacles have been replaced on the Explorer by metal receptacles next to the door that double as decorative pieces:

440af9aecbcb7ccbd9faf869b2c2d1b3.jpg

This is the first Regent ship that has good coffee (to my taste).

In the past, I have avoided the sub par morning coffee in La Veranda and used the coffee connection. No need for that on the Explorer.

The Cafe has a machine that will make espresso, cappuccino, etc. To make an Americano, one needs to add hot water to espresso. It makes a good cup of coffee.

Our traveling companions have commented that the coffee in Compass Rose is not as hot as they would like.

Our suite has an illy machine that I might use this morning.

Reverting to the lower grade suite sizes. According to the brochure H on Explorer are 219 sq. ft. But there are only 6 of them. The next category up is G which is 253 sq. ft. compared with H-D on Mariner which are 252 sq. ft. So G on Explorer are not that bad for those of us who have sailed on the Mariner. However, the smallest suites on Voyager and Navigator are just over 300 sq.ft., so much roomier.

Edited by eliana

Reverting to the lower grade suite sizes. According to the brochure H on Explorer are 219 sq. ft. But there are only 6 of them. The next category up is G which is 253 sq. ft. compared with H-D on Mariner which are 252 sq. ft. So G on Explorer are not that bad for those of us who have sailed on the Mariner. However, the smallest suites on Voyager and Navigator are just over 300 sq.ft., so much roomier.

We always found the H-D suites on Mariner adequate but (as I posted above) some who have actually seen the G suites on Explorer report them to be smaller than the Mariner's hence my plea for further views from those actually onboard Explorer.

Well regent are taking extra special care of guests on this voyage . We scoped 6 plain clothes ex military British security types trying to blend in , even checking bus's prior to guests commencing tours !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I didn't participate, but I did drop by the New Explorer Wine Selection and Tasting in Compass Rose long enough to photograph the Pacific Rim and Chartreuse beverage menus. The wines of these new restaurants was the focus of the tasting, hosted by F&B Director Daniela Oancea, who is handling Head Sommelier duties on this cruise.

I'm trying photos of each in medium format. In case they can't be easily read, I can either go large format, or just type up the lists.

30b8513ebb353f6676e700249a9a9709.jpgf84a2a66f71d66ec5d27ec71e5e77791.jpg

On another thread, on June 29th, Randall Soy talked about computers onboard. In that thread he said ".......I heard back from the shipyard regarding comments on the number of computers we will have following some feedback from CC members. We will now have 4 stations in the business center enabling guests to print boarding passes etc.. and it will be attended by the manager to offer any necessary assistance."

This is true, but not the end of the story. In addition to the 4 computers available in the business center, there are 2 more computers in the very back of the library on deck 11.

We always found the H-D suites on Mariner adequate but (as I posted above) some who have actually seen the G suites on Explorer report them to be smaller than the Mariner's hence my plea for further views from those actually onboard Explorer.

We have good friends on board in a G cabin. Upon my walk thru of their cabin, it seems similar to the standard Mariner cabin. We spent 60 days on the Mariner on our South America circumnavigation cruise and did just fine. If you want something more similar to the standard Voyager cabin, you may want to go with the F1 or F2 category. The F1/F2's have the shower and a separate tub, plus a larger closet than the G cabins. They also have the larger balcony and double sinks. The closet in the G cabin is definitely smaller than the standard Mariner closet but certainly doable IMO.