Random Notes, Explorer Maiden Voyage, LIVE

Mr Rumor

A big thank you to everyone on the current and previous cruise, for the excellent insight you have been giving us.

This is of particular benefit to myself & wife as we have booked our first ever Regent cruise, on Explorer next Spring.

There is one issue that I would value information on if at all possible. We have booked a Seven Seas Suite (SS1). The layout on the Regent website, and the mock up photo that previously existed, both show the dining table with 4 chairs.

The photos I have seen recently only show 2 chairs. Now the other two could have been moved for the photo and I could of course ask for another two if I need them but it would be good to know if the suite as published has been altered in any way.

Thank you in anticipation of any insight you can give us.

One Explorer design issue became apparent to me yesterday as we sailed away from Kotor. There is no forward facing open air area for photography! The only forward facing public area is inside the observation lounge and photography though the windows is not very good.

There is an area above the Regent suite on the super structure, but it is crew only.

One Explorer design issue became apparent to me yesterday as we sailed away from Kotor. There is no forward facing open air area for photography! The only forward facing public area is inside the observation lounge and photography though the windows is not very good.

There is an area above the Regent suite on the super structure, but it is crew only.

That's not good. For those of us who love to take photographs, images through the windows of the observation lounge are just not acceptable. There is always an unacceptable reflection or glare off the glass.

It is in fact GM day on the Explorer! On our stroll back to the ship following our walking tour of Split, I passed GM Massimo, who was heading into Old Town. Massimo has been on our cruise, but not in an official capacity.

And then a few minutes later in La Veranda I walked into GM Davor, who introduced me to his lovely wife Mirjana and son Marin. Davor didn't wait for me to ask him what he thought about the Explorer: "It's the most beautiful ship I've ever seen!" At some point in the future Davor will have his turn on the Explorer, but he said he is set next for the Voyager followed by the Navigator, for the 2017 World Cruise.

Kingfoot, welcome to the joint blog! You are absolutely right that passengers have no access to a forward-facing open air area, like they do on the other Regent ships. At first this was so hard for me to believe that I asked a bar waiter how I could best access the outside forward viewing area above Deck 12 (he just shrugged). Some of my most favorite memories aboard a Regent ship--i.e. in Alaska, and sailing into or out of NYC and San Francisco--were made in the open air and in the very forward area of the ship, so I will miss making these kinds of memories aboard the Explorer.

Rich

Although I haven't made the time go walking on the Deck 12 track, I have cased it out, and think walkers/joggers will be very pleased with the design. This sign lays out the specs:

5e66db495b784633cc964b656cc29f07.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The windows on the Pool Deck are punctuated every few yards by a window that can be opened. Like! (If the resulting "framed" picture is as sweet as this this one of Split, so much the better.)

9474622dbd6288e9302da2eec7f5c4c8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kingfoot, welcome to the joint blog! You are absolutely right that passengers have no access to a forward-facing open air area, like they do on the other Regent ships. At first this was so hard for me to believe that I asked a bar waiter how I could best access the outside forward viewing area above Deck 12 (he just shrugged). Some of my most favorite memories aboard a Regent ship--i.e. in Alaska, and sailing into or out of NYC and San Francisco--were made in the open air and in the very forward area of the ship, so I will miss making these kinds of memories aboard the Explorer.

Rich

The lack of outdoor space adjacent to Observation Lounge on Voyager is, to me, a major reason that Mariner remains my favorite ship. I guess my assumption that they would not repeat this error on Explorer was wrong. The deck plan shows "wings" next to Observation Lounge which I had (apparently mistakenly) thought were open air areas for pictures. Again, a shout out to proper systems engineering to avoid design errors.

Marc

Rich, thank you again for the great pictures. I also did not notice the windows on the pool deck - a great idea for hot days when a breeze is helpful!

In terms of the Observation Lounge, I do not see it as a "design error" but rather a design decision that some passengers will not like. I agree that it would have been nice to have an outdoor space for taking pictures from the front of the ship. I'm sure that if 50 people were asked about what they would change on the ship, there would be 50 different answers.

Liking the directional instruction on the jogging track!

Is it me or do the numbers seem wrong on the jogging track miles/KM?

Longer Blue route is 13.1 lap/mile or 7 laps/KM

Shorter Red routes is 11.25 lap/mile or 8.1 laps/KM

Miles should be reversed?

j

j

It's not you. :D. Blue and red should be reversed.

j

You are correct. I didn't even look at the numbers.

Good catch on the Jogging Track sign!

I was pleased to watch and hear Captain Stan dispense some Random Notes of his own at the Captain's Farewell tonight (yes, it's that time):

"Highest swell (on the Maiden Voyage): 9 feet.

"Greatest wind speed: 35 knots, on the way to Ibiza.

"Highest temperature: 88 degrees, Kotor.

"577 metric tons of fuel used, enough to fill the swimming pool six times over.

"Nautical miles traveled: 2408.

"A number you should all be ashamed of: 9,600 bottles of wine consumed, or four bottles of wine per nautical mile. On my last cruise--Mariner--it was only one bottle per mile!"

(Captain Stan, by the way, has had his wife and two young daughters for company on the MV. It has been a pleasure seeing them dine together in CR and on the Pool Deck.)

Regarding Krew Kapers, I had heard crew members were rehearsing late at night, but wasn't sure we'd have Kapers when only the words "Crew Presentation" appeared in Passages. But, happily, the show did go on. The wonderful folk dances were missing (not enough time to rehearse them, I assume), but KK crowd favorites such as "Splish Splash," "YMCA" and "Impossible Dream" were performed. The response, as always: a standing O.

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Aren't Captain's Farewell and Krew Kapers usually on the penultimate night? Why one night earlier?

Sounds like you have had a wonderful cruise; can't wait until we get onboard Explorer.

Marc

"Highest swell (on the Maiden Voyage): 9 feet.

"Greatest wind speed: 35 knots, on the way to Ibiza.

"Highest temperature: 88 degrees, Kotor.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but on our last Navigator cruise the captain told us we sailed through 70 knot winds and 32' swells. That was some rockin' and rollin'...

And it hit 40* Celsius (104* F) in Galilee. Ouch.

I didn't hear how much wine we drank - that's a neat stat. But we were sure doing our part to raise that number! LOL!!

I love when the captains share the geek-stats. Has anyone taken the time to figure out the average MPG the Explorer got on that cruise?

Has anyone taken the time to figure out the average MPG the Explorer got on that cruise?

Never mind - I just took a rough stab at it - looks like Explorer gets around 0.01165729 MPG. But if you account for 750 passengers, that's about 8.74 MPG per passenger. Reminds me of my old '75 Olds Delta 88 convertible - it got about the same mileage, and didn't have a swimming pool or a restaurant. :D

Of course, it couldn't carry 750 people, either...

We'll be sorry to see all of you go! We've enjoyed all of the posts; positive and not so positive!

However it sounds like the Explorer has hit almost all of the high spots. Forget the clock thing, the messed up jogging/walking track info, goofy columns, etc. I think we'll be able to deal with any of those snafus! I wish you all a safe trip home and hope to meet many of you on the TA!

Linda and John