Random Notes, Explorer Maiden Voyage, LIVE

Mr Rumor

4. Is there a bar/lounge close to Chartreuse & Prime 7 on deck 10, where you can meet with fellow diners for a pre-dinner drink?

Not according to the deck plans (https://www.rssc.com/ships/explorer.aspx?Ship=EXP).

Either the Pool Bar or Observation Lounge 1 deck up and forward or Decks 5 & 6.

I hadn't noticed before that there is no rear-facing lounge (aka Horizon on Voyager). Too bad.

Edited by Portolan

We are in Concierge D. The walk-in closet is large and there is more storage than the two of us need. The bathroom (again' date=' lots of storage) has 2 sinks, a tub and shower plus What look like nice Regent toiletries. The foot of the bed is towards the sliding doors and additional window. That orientation is different than other suites.

Again, WOW!

[/quote'] A question on the shower. Our only other Regent cruise was on Navigator in a concierge suite. I liked having a shower, but found it extremely small. if you are familiar with the Navigator concierge suites, how does the size of shower compare? Thanks very much.

Lisemare, Katie (and Big John)/Witt's end, Rich (and Ginny)/Mr. Rumor. Thanks for your pictures and posts--we can sense your wonderful maiden excitement viewing your pictures and reading your words. Have a terrific maiden voyage and look forward to reading more about your Explorer maiden experience. Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Edited by WesW

Not according to the deck plans (https://www.rssc.com/ships/explorer.aspx?Ship=EXP).

Either the Pool Bar or Observation Lounge 1 deck up and forward or Decks 5 & 6.

I hadn't noticed before that there is no rear-facing lounge (aka Horizon on Voyager). Too bad.

A previous thread on CC at the end of May indicated that Regent were re-thinking:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2360828

Post 19

"A little bird shared with me that there will be bars adjacent to both Chartreuse and Prime 7.

Tea will be served in the observation lounge. And no word yet on where trivia will be held (but there's plenty of choices!)"

This leads to another question:

Are tea & trivia both in the Observation Lounge?

A previous thread on CC at the end of May indicated that Regent were re-thinking:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2360828

Post 19

"A little bird shared with me that there will be bars adjacent to both Chartreuse and Prime 7.

Tea will be served in the observation lounge. And no word yet on where trivia will be held (but there's plenty of choices!)"

This leads to another question:

Are tea & trivia both in the Observation Lounge?

I hope I can answer your questions.

Since this is day 1, we have not had trivia yet. But we have been told that trivia and teatime will be held in the Observation Lounge.

We had dinner at Prime7 tonight (one of the best meals on any Regent ship). At the entrance to both Prime and Chartreuse there are small lounges with seating for 10-20 people. It looks like a waiting area while others in your party make their way to dinner. They probably don't have a dedicated bartender, but the restaurant's bar staff would attend. I will check out the staffing later.

Our copy of Passages (for tomorrow) was just delivered. Trivia is indeed being held in the Observation Lounge on deck 11.

Entertainment tonight is soprano Laura del Rio (no relation to Frank).

Entertainment tomorrow is Spanish guitarist Vincenzo.

Rich, great job in sharing so much information and it was super to see you by Reception.

For Freddie, yes the phenomenal choices offered during the Preview Christening cruise are the new standards and are re-defining Compass Rose. The multiple choices, available every evening with a wide selection of sides, sauces are complemented with numerous specials.

.... yes the phenomenal choices offered during the Preview Christening cruise are the new standards and are re-defining Compass Rose..............

Are these "new standards...re-defining Compass Rose" going to be implemented fleet wide? What is the roll out schedule?

j

Enjoyed our chat, too, Randall--thanks for checking in to our joint blog! More on our chat in a moment, but first. . .

. . . You know you're on a special cruise when on "opening night" you get a Smithsonian lecture--and arias. We couldn't make Terry Bishop's 6:15 talk on Monaco in the re-imagined Constellation Theater (more on the theater's design later), but we decided we couldn't miss Spanish soprano Laura del Ray's 9:30 performance. Miss del Ray was flown in for the night only and has already "left the building." (By the way, we are just setting sail now, at midnight.)

Flossie009 asked if any of the NCLH/Regent execs are staying aboard. You now know the Regent EVP is (until the 25th). We thought President/CEO Jason Montague might be also when we ran into him, but he has already "left the building," too. He explained to Ginny and me that he needed to catch up with his family after being away for 14 days.

Now to Randall's and my brief chat. While he explained the safe way may have been to go with one designer for a "unified" vision, FDR decided to hire three firms--Tillberg, RTKL and Icrave--because he wanted each to compete with and challenge the other. I had no doubt after my first walk around the Explorer that the competition yielded some very inspired ideas.

There is a LOT of dark wood and glass. Regarding the former, I was surprised to see wood paneling on one side of every passenger floor, giving the floors a more elegant feel. Regarding the latter, the firms definitely seemed in competition with who could design/acquire the most arresting glass ceiling piece. The contenders: The humongous chandelier in the Reception Area, the stunning aqua Murano centerpiece ceiling installation in Compass Rose, and the two rows of four large gold ceiling sculptures in Compass Rose that resemble, in Ginny's opinion, a "floral sunburst." Even the Library boasts a glass ceiling conversation piece.

We were knocked out by the design of the Pool Grill and La Veranda serving area. Both are significantly expanded (size as well as selection) and upgraded. Both now feature two serving sides, and La Veranda also has a couple of islands for salad items. Seating in La Veranda's veranda now boasts three rows of tables.

I could go on (and will soon), but the witching hour approaches and in eight hours we will be anchoring in Saint Tropez and taking off on our four-hour "Grimaud and Port Grimaud" excursion. I have to remind myself to hold onto my wide-brimmed canvas hat, not only on the excursion, but for the rest of the MV. It's going to be a wild ride!

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Bon voyage, and a few questions for the Maiden Voyagers:

1. Are any of the NCLH/Regent Execs staying on board for the maiden voyage? i.e. Mr DelRio and others

2. What special events have been planned for the voyage?

3. What criteria is being applied for access to the Infinity Pool?

4. Is there a bar/lounge close to Chartreuse & Prime 7 on deck 10, where you can meet with fellow diners for a pre-dinner drink?

5. Who is occupying the Regent Suite?..............and has anyone snagged an invite to cocktails in the mega-suite? ;)'

6. How is the Wi-Fi?

Hope everyone has a fabulous cruise and that all luggage catches up quickly. (BA & LHR claim that they don't 'lose' luggage but occasionally 'mislay' bags for short periods :rolleyes::rolleyes:)

I can answer a few questions.

Frank Del Rio and his family are in the Regent suite. I saw some other executives at the airport. Some of them left in order to leave room for MV guests.

There are small bars outside of the specialty restaurants.

Wi-Fi is faster but not when everyone is trying to post at the same time. We did not have good Wi-Fi in our suite (940).

We have not seen anyone in the Infinity pool. For now, the rules will no doubt be what has already been posted (people that have spa appointments and guests that have attained Platinum and Titanium level. This is a small area ad the rules may change if it remains as quiet as it has been.

Edited by Travelcat2

Love: the permanent "bath mat" in the bathroom, a five-foot-long marble (we think) mosaic made up of scores and scores of small white, gray, black circular pieces. Unless you're determined to go skidding no way you'll going to slip on the floor when coming out of a shower! More random "Loves" to follow.

My first quest of the day: Finding the Regent Puzzle Page. My guide: none other than General Manager Franck Galzy, in the midst of his early morning rounds. We rode the elevator up to 11, and he located the small stack of puzzles in the Card Room (used to be the Library). Now I'm set for our first excursion. Love doing the Sudoku while where waiting in the theater for our tour to be called, and while we're on the bus.

By the way, I just checked our tour tickets, and we're on the "Peninsula of Hilltop Villages" tour this morning. I "misspoke" when I mentioned a different excursion yesterday.

It's good to have a solid five hours of sleep behind me--ready for the day!

Rich

Mr Del Rio and his family did disembark in Monte Carlo. I am on for five glorious days and hope to see many of you. The roll out schedule for the expanded CR menus fleet wide are mid-October for NAV, following drydock for VOY and MAR. It is exceptional. Lobster, Filet mignon or Dover Sole every night, if you desired. And the room is gorgeous.

Thanks to you all for answering my questions thus far :)

Another one is what toiletries/amenities are in the various levels of suites?

Still L'Occitane & Hermes?

Hope the MV is going well and that all the luggage caught up

Edited by flossie009

Thanks to you all for answering my questions thus far :)

Another one is what toiletries/amenities are in the various levels of suites?

Still L'Occitane & Hermes?

Hope the MV is going well and that all the luggage caught up

Hermes is history, so I am told by my butler.

In our suite (penthouse A), we have 2 new toiletries

1. L'Occitane Mistral

2. Guerlain Eau Imperiale

The ship is simply stunning - very elegant and not over the top. I love that all the art is "original" - paintings in every suite and classic photos as well.

My opinion: the food has been excellent in all the venues and the new menu in Compass Rose is terrific - I'm glad to know that the same sort of thing will ultimately be on all the ships.

I agree with Rich - the "bath mat" is terrific and I was also told that the marble floors in the baths have been treated so they are non-slip . . yippee!

Congratulation Regent:The Explorer is wonderful!

Peggy

Hi Mr Rumor and all others sailing on this wonderful maiden voyage. Hope you are all having a fabulous time and i'm really enjoying the different pictures that we wouldn't normally see like the artwork and the new sun loungers on the pool deck.

I would like to ask a question.

In the Compass Rose there seems to be a new menu for sauces. Is this a separate menu that is there for all dishes or is only an accompaniment for some?

Thank you and hope you keep posting, i'm really enjoying your journey.

Pam.

Yes, I'd like to add my thanks to all of you for taking the time out of your vacation for adding pictures and information regarding the ship. I'm looking forward to the 2 cruise's we've booked on Regent. I really like the Prime Rib cart for serving the Rib in Prime 7.

Thanks again,

Rick

Hermes is history, so I am told by my butler.

In our suite (penthouse A), we have 2 new toiletries

1. L'Occitane Mistral

2. Guerlain Eau Imperiale

I have never liked the L'Occitane Verbena, so I wind up lugging my own bath supplies on board. I wonder if the new Mistral line has been carried over to the Voyager. And if it's available to those of us in the standard sizes cabins.