HAL Roll Calls - What's Up?

Sequim88

Of course there are going to be individual roll calls that are more active than others, but if you compare HAL roll calls for their larger ships versus RCL's for their smaller ones (i.e., comparable passenger load), there are IN GENERAL much fewer posts on the HAL roll calls.

This also holds true when compared with other lines (Princess and Celebrity), as I've said in the past.

Not sure what the reason is -- and not discounting that there are exceptions -- but by and large HAL roll calls aren't as active as you might see on other lines.

There was a time when I did join the Roll Calls.

But once they started to plan games to be played, exchanging gifts, cabin crawls, slot pulls, etc., I dropped out. In fact I haven't even read a Roll Call for the last few years for any of our cruises.

I've seen business meetings with less advance organization than some roll calls. It often looks too intense for me.

I think the first few posts set the tone. If it immediately goes into "who wants to share a van tour to xxxxx with us?" people who don't do private tours or shared tours may feel that there isn't going to be anything for them. Or they're put off because it feels too commercial. I know the people organizing privage tours aren't selling anything, they're just saving money and offering to help others save money. But if you aren't interested, it feels like a sales pitch.

Best roll call I ever was on was for QM2's first "circumnavigation of Australia." Cunard wisely sold lots of different segments in addition to the full 22 days, so they could give Australians a chance to try Cunard and QM2. Most of the early posters were Australians, and it was mainly about excitement to have a chance to sail on QM2 close to home. As people from other parts of the world joined, they were welcomed and offered lots of great info. We had some funny discussions, especially about wearing "stinger suits" to avoid the jellyfish at the Great Barrier Reef. One poster watched the Cunard website like a hawk and the minute the ships' tours were available, he let us all know. Some tours were very limited and lots of us booked early. Easily half of the people on the flightseeing trip were from our roll call, thanks to this man's heads-up. By the time we had our first M&G, we knew each other well.

Thinking back on that roll call, it was a special, brand-new itinerary. Maybe the lack of interest in the HAL roll calls is due to familiarity. People don't have the excitement of something new or the need to get advice?

There's a thread about dwindling interest in roll calls on the Cunard board at the moment. The reason for that seems to be Facebook groups organizing their own M&G and activities. Are there HAL roll calls on Facebook? Maybe that's contributing to diminished interest. (I don't facetweet, so I don't know about that)

Seems as though the functions a Roll Call may serve for others are not those you value. I'm curious to know what you are looking for in a Roll Call?

Don't misunderstand - we do private tours and I organize a lot of private tours, but IMO a roll call should not be limited to only talking about that. Not everyone does private tours.

Lots of things to discuss -things to do in port, ideas for sea days on board, where people are from, etc.

We've formed trivia teams, bunko groups, etc. On some roll calls along with PG lunches, etc. It varies by roll call of course, but, we've had enough interaction on several roll calls that a lot of us felt like "they knew each other" and were looking forward to finally meeting face to face ;)

Kazu's response pretty well sums up how I feel, and would add that I want to feel like I know my fellow roll call members before I commit to spending my time and $$ with them.

That only comes after weeks (or months) of interaction before the cruise. I have made life-long friends from roll calls and in all cases we got to know each other through the roll calls.

I value info that others can give about ports I haven't visited yet, or ships I haven't sailed. That personal info can add a lot to what I have already researched through Trip Advisor, Rick Steves, and port guides.

But once they started to plan games to be played, exchanging gifts, cabin crawls, slot pulls, etc., I dropped out. In fact I haven't even read a Roll Call for the last few years for any of our cruises.

You should give it another try. I have not seen any of the above things being planned on our cruise roll calls over the past several years.

You should give it another try. I have not seen any of the above things being planned on our cruise roll calls over the past several years.

Ditto what Dave said KK. I have been on roll calls where there were cabin crawls and stuff (we had a LOT of sea days ;)), but all of that is VOLUNTARY and meant for those who are INTERESTED in doing it. None of it is mandatory by any means - nor, should it be ;)

It really depends on how you want to use the roll calls. Some people simply use the roll calls as a source of information regarding their cruise. They may stop by and peruse, but they rarely or never actually post or contribute to the conversation. Others are interested in port details and shore excursions, and therefore share information that is mutually helpful. There are cruisers who participate as a means of establishing rapport with some of their fellow travelers. Yet others post once or twice and then simply disappear. Others may get intimidated or turned off by the conversation, and become hesitant to post on the roll call thread. And of course, there are family, friends or affinity groups that are traveling together, and don't need roll calls at all. It's social human behavior at its most interesting:)

I have both planned and attended roll call meet and greets over the years, and the VAST majority are a washout, meaning many people who say they will show up actually don't. The few that were well attended consequently stand out. In 20+ HAL cruises, I've participated in maybe four or five successful roll call meet and greets.

Therefore, I much prefer to establish rapport with a few fellow cruisers on my roll call, and then get together with them during the cruise, either on the ship or by doing shore excursions. I think, on HAL, formal ship-sponsored meet and greets are a waste of time and effort, both by the roll call planners and the onboard staff who set them up. On HAL it's coffee, tea, cookies and a reserved space for about 45 minutes, with no longer any officers in attendance. Blah, boring. Just my opinion, of course.

Yes, there are exceptions to the scenarios depicted above, but that's because someone worked dam hard to pull it all together, and organize activities. So as always, your mileage may vary.

Edited by middle-aged mom

I have made life-long friends from roll calls and in all cases we got to know each other through the roll calls.

So I presume you developed these friendships while cruising with the folks you met first on roll calls? Did you then plan subsequent cruises with such folks? My husband and I would like to make some "cruising buddies," but perhaps we would have to cruise more frequently than we do now in order to make that happen.

I have said it before, but I will say it again: As a solo traveler, the Roll Call is instrumental in preventing that "Stranger in a Strange Land" feeling when boarding a ship, even one I have sailed on before. On my last cruise, my name was called out in the terminal before boarding by a fellow poster who recognized me from my brief description (very short red hair and dangly earrings). A short time later, another poster hailed me in the Lido. After the muster drill, we met for an impromptu sailaway, a great start to an amazing adventure.

P.S. The hair remains short, but now blonde, and the earrings still dangle.

So I presume you developed these friendships while cruising with the folks you met first on roll calls? Did you then plan subsequent cruises with such folks? My husband and I would like to make some "cruising buddies," but perhaps we would have to cruise more frequently than we do now in order to make that happen.

Yes! Cruises and meeting up on land as well :)

Unfortunately most of my cruise buddies live on the opposite coast. That just makes us more eager to plan future cruises together and seeing each other when we happen to be near each others' homes.

Right now four cruise friends will be on my January cruise, and possibly 7 on my October 2017 cruise. :)

Not cruising along, but we are in the same boat.

The people we have met are not in our area and far away, but we have had the pleasure to repeat cruises with them. We have stayed connected and contact each other and if itineraries suit and timing we are lucky enough to cruise with life long friends.

Making it happen is not hard, we participated in the roll call,met some people, "connected".

I consider myself blessed by the people I have met on roll calls. anytime I can cruise with the people we enjoy it makes it easy to convince DH to book ;):D

Edited by kazu

Yes! Cruises and meeting up on land as well :)

Unfortunately most of my cruise buddies live on the opposite coast. That just makes us more eager to plan future cruises together and seeing each other when we happen to be near each others' homes.

Right now four cruise friends will be on my January cruise, and possibly 7 on my October 2017 cruise. :)

Not cruising along, but we are in the same boat.

The people we have met are not in our area and far away, but we have had the pleasure to repeat cruises with them. We have stayed connected and contact each other and if itineraries suit and timing we are lucky enough to cruise with life long friends.

Making it happen is not hard, we participated in the roll call,met some people, "connected".

I consider myself blessed by the people I have met on roll calls. anytime I can cruise with the people we enjoy it makes it easy to convince DH to book ;):D

I would agree with both Cruising-Along and Kazu. The roll call is a good place to meet people prior to the cruise. As a solo, I find it very nice to have a group to look forward to.

What constitutes an Active Roll Call? I met Cruising-Along on a Roll Call in April of 2012, then actually met her and her DH waiting for the shuttle from the hotel to the ship. That Roll Call had a total of 915 entries. We stayed in touch and in Sept of 14 when I flew to Seattle prior to a Vancouver departure to Alaska we spent the day together. Shortly after that she mentioned doing the same cruise again, which was this last April. That Roll Call had 625 entries, but a core of about 10, most of which are signed up for the reverse cruise in October of next year. That Roll Call has barely started.

So by some standards, neither of the Roll Calls was very active, but the people got along both on-line and in person.

I have also stayed in touch with another couple who were not active on the Roll Call but I met on the ship and they have started replying to the Roll Calls. I changed my plans for December because they let me know they had booked a similarly timed cruise on a different HAL ship and asked me to join them.

I had another couple pick me up at a port near their home and spent the day with them before returning to the ship.

These friendships are very special to me and I hope to cruise with each of them again.

There are also many people I have talked to on Cruise Critics that I would like to share a cruise with to have a chance to meet them. Maybe it will happen one day.

Edited by richwmn

Its difficult to draw conclusions based on ship size. Certainly the large Royal Caribbean ships have a much larger pool of passengers who could post, but the roll call for this years Grand Med cruise on the small Prinsendam (we had a little over 600 passengers) had a very active and useful roll call. The roll call for next years Grand South America is much slower with presumably the same amount of passengers. I think shorter cruises get more participation because there are more passengers who are going on that itinerary for the first time or are first time cruisers and have more questions.

I've had two HAL roll calls. One was very active, and one was a cruise that I booked at the last minute and started the roll call. Nobody ever joined.:(

There have only been three or four people who have posted on my Westerdam roll call for next year. Right now I feel like I'm talking to myself:o, but hopefully that will change once we get through summer and more people start making firm plans for 2017.

I've really enjoyed my active roll calls, and even though I haven't hit it off with everybody, I've made some lasting friendships because of them.

What's with the Automatic Teller Machine logo? :)

I love money?!?!?! [emoji38]

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be glad you're not from Kentucky. Being an IU business grad, every time I run into a Wildcat, I put on a total deadpan countenance and ask, "Doesn't your state abbreviation violate trademark and copyright laws?" ;)

Edited by blizzardboy

I have really learned a lot from reading posts on roll calls. Just a few months ago one member of our current roll call mentioned he had just got a great price reduction, several of us were able to refare our own trips thanks to this post. I also will read a roll call of a cruise I am not on but has a similar itinerary to get ideas about private tours/pre and post hotels others are booking. I enjoy putting a face together with a CC member who has been posting at the Meet and Greet. Looking forward to our August Meet and Greet where we have 57 signed up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have really learned a lot from reading posts on roll calls. Just a few months ago one member of our current roll call mentioned he had just got a great price reduction, several of us were able to refare our own trips thanks to this post. I also will read a roll call of a cruise I am not on but has a similar itinerary to get ideas about private tours/pre and post hotels others are booking. I enjoy putting a face together with a CC member who has been posting at the Meet and Greet. Looking forward to our August Meet and Greet where we have 57 signed up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I do the same. I also do searches using key words of things I'm interested in, and then pay close attention to posts I know were written by people who have cruised/travelled a lot, as well as those who I think may have a similar travel style from reading their posts over the years. As an example, I searched for Venice hotels on the HAL roll call boards, and came across a hotel recommended by Kazu. I might not have found the hotel in the hundreds of listings on Trip Advisor, but I'm now booked there thanks to a Cruise Critic post from someone I don't know personally, but trust their opinion anyway! Thanks, Jacqui!

I do the same. I also do searches using key words of things I'm interested in, and then pay close attention to posts I know were written by people who have cruised/travelled a lot, as well as those who I think may have a similar travel style from reading their posts over the years. As an example, I searched for Venice hotels on the HAL roll call boards, and came across a hotel recommended by Kazu. I might not have found the hotel in the hundreds of listings on Trip Advisor, but I'm now booked there thanks to a Cruise Critic post from someone I don't know personally, but trust their opinion anyway! Thanks, Jacqui!

OMG are you staying there Cindy? It's been a few years since we were there but it was the absolute best. Worth every penny :).

Location was perfect. Far from the maddening crowd but not too far away.

and the family was awesome. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did :). It is one of our favourite memories.

And if you can , and can luck into a roll call member sharing, take the private taxi from their private dock to the ship. It is truly an unbelievable trip :)

And of course, you can take a water taxi to the hotel once you have done the land part. It worked out great.

We still look back and remember that time with huge smiles. "Hotels" (it's not a hotel -it's palazzo) like that are few and far between. I did do a review on tripadvisor as well ;)

Have fun

Edited by kazu

OMG are you staying there Cindy? It's been a few years since we were there but it was the absolute best. Worth every penny.

Location was perfect. Far from the maddening crowd but not too far away.

and the family was awesome. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did :). It is one of our favourite memories.

And if you can , and can luck into a roll call member sharing, take the private taxi from their private dock to the ship. It is truly an unbelievable trip :)

And of course, you can take a water taxi to the hotel once you have done the land part. It worked out great.

We still look back and remember that time with huge smiles. "Hotels" (it's not a hotel -it's palazzo) like that are few and far between. I did do a review on tripadvisor as well ;)

Have fun

Yes, I'm going to sleep in a Palazzo!:) I think it's something every girl should do at least once, don't you?

I was really struggling with a Venice hotel until I came across your posts. Every time I thought I had it figured out I would dig deeper and have doubts. As soon as I read your posts I checked it out on Trip Advisor and booked that day. Something about the Palazzo really appeals to me, and I think I can stop looking (obsessing) now!:D

Cruise Critic to the rescue once again!

Oh, and even if we don't have somebody to share we're taking a water taxi. I'll just chalk the cost up to the price of having a great Venice experience, and remind my husband he doesn't want to have to listen to me if I have to schlep my luggage across Venice on public transportation.:p

• 4 weeks later...
Things I've found useful are:

1. Prior knowledge of ports

2. Sharing information found online

3. Getting to know people a bit prior to the cruise (ice already broken)

4. Link up with others to split costs on private tours

5. Maintain excitement level across the long months

6. If there are others from home area set up a local pre-cruise meet

(more likely now that we are cruising from Seattle)

7. Coordinate sail away meet-up

8. New (for me) able to share local advice beyond the departure port forum

This thread could't have come more timely for me. This topic is not just pertaining to HAL, but cruises in general.

I couldn't agree more about the useful facts as stated above.

I have been on roll calls that were "closed" by moderators and given a part II, or even III, because it was so active.

I use these roll call threads to become "acquainted" with fellow cruisers and if there is a "rapport" with someone, then my excitement before the cruise begins to build and can't wait to meet this person on board.

I, myself, have been acknowledged in the terminal and on board by a shout of my screen name...I love it! Last year, my DH, had a stroke, three weeks before our cruise, thank goodness it was mild, I mentioned it on the roll call and so many people sent their prayers and wishes for his recovery, and once in the terminal people that we had previously cruised with, began approaching him, glad to see him and wishing him well. He needed that at that time and made his cruise memorable.

However, this cruise, the roll call started 14 months ago, is literally, dead. No information, nada nothing.

I have not been to the one port of call and have been looking for "hands on" information from others who have been there....the responses I got....look on the specific "board for that island". I posted a question there, absolutely no response.

Anyway, I will be on my cruise, roll call or not. But it makes it more exciting when you can plan and get to "know" one another in advance

I too have found big differences in roll calls on many cruises. I've been on some that have hundreds of people and some with maybe five. We've had meet and greets where everyone brought a gift from their state and we exchanged them, it was fun. Our upcoming one is pretty dead but we still have five months to go so maybe it'll pick up. I still like to read them and see everyones ideas and suggestions and sometimes I can answer a question for a newbie. But we're still cruising and that's the important part.

Thanks for all the insights and viewpoints.

I totally forgot the Cabin Crawl organizing as well as setting up a group Slot Pull (#9 and #10 for my list ;) ). Of course those are more important on a TA with lots of sea days.

For now it is sort of a blessing in disguise that there has not been enough activity to push it to the 2nd page. I've been able to do a few posts of lists of useful links for Alaska planning as well as for Seattle pre or post cruise. It will be convenient for these to be on page 1 for easy reference. If anyone shows up to use them anyway. :rolleyes: