2nd time on Carnival, 1st fun, 2nd gross...

luv2sleep

Hi luv2sleep,

No matter how much you pay for a room or a cruise I can't believe you won't check out carefully any strange bed you sleep in.

If you think that only Carnival employees might slack off sometime, or just be too busy to do their job properly, you must be dreaming.

Like you said you have never checked a bed like this before, so you really don't know what you have previously slept in. One more night and you wouldn't have noticed here either.

I too don't use the hand sanitizers because I wash my hands often, and I don't believe they are very effective, except to make the manufacturer a lot of money. As has been pointed out Carnival has a very good record compared to other cruise lines. The comment about how other cruise lines make people use these sanitizers has been made often, suggesting that Carnival is inviting a virus. The data just doesn't hold support that perception. Maybe more people on those other cruise lines don't wash so they end up having to have someone baby sit them at every meal(been there). What do you think happens with everything those same people touch between

meals?

enjoy you next cruise...wherever. I dare you not to check your bed :)

You waited 3 days before you checked your bedding? :eek: Sorry but that is kind on you. First thing I do is wipe things down, check bedding and any other areas that is not common areas to check.

I have been to, too many "BATES" motels to not check before I crawl into bed.

Hope you learned something from your experience. As for going to customer service after the 3rd day on a 4 day cruise it sounds like you were looking for a hand out. Not that you were, but if I was back of the counter I know I would roll my eyes and say yes sir, we will change your bedding at once and call it a day.

Are you joking? What a condescending remark. The OP didn't mention a "handout" nor complain about not getting one. It is the cruise line responsibility to provide clean bedding. It is a reasonable expectation. One should not have to be the health inspector when boarding. Stained sheets is downright disgusting. The room steward should be put off at the next port.

We just got back from our local Carnival cruise. This was my second time sailing on Carnival. I had a good experience the first time so I booked another trip. I hate to report that I had such a negative experience and will likely never sail Carnival again. It was a 4 night cruise. Yesterday morning after 3 nights sleeping in room, I flung back the covers further than I guess I had before and discovered a body fluid stain and other areas that looked liked they came from a dirty body parts or possibly other bodily substance. Oh my gosh I was beyond disgusted. I had slept in that bed for 3 nights and it looks like the sheets were not changed between us and the prior guests. I tried to call customer service but was placed on hold a couple of times. I went down there and talked to them in person. They called someone to basically smooth things over who offered to change all of the linens, vacuum, clean, and disinfect the room. That didn't help me feel much better. I stayed out of the room for the bulk of the day. I hated being in there. Thankfully last night was our last night.

I then started noticing how even though there are hand sanitizer stands everywhere no one seemed to use them except us. I then was sanitizing my hands before and after I got my food because I was touching tongs and other utensils and equipment that others had been. I was just really grossed out in general so now I was on high alert. On Disney Cruise Line (DCL) they hand everyone walking in to an eating area a hand sanitizing wipe (except on deck where they are located at the various places to eat for you to self serve).

The last thing I noticed that no one was cleaning common surfaces like they do on DCL (banisters, buttons, door handles, etc.). On DCL it seems like they are constantly cleaning these items throughout the cruise. Makes sense because they can't possibly do all of that cleaning between trips and have it be effective. But, low and behold they were starting to clean them as we were disembarking today.

I am an easy going, laid back person, about budget travel. Not everyone can afford to travel and pay more than others can afford so I tend to not look down on cheaper cruise lines and accommodations. Well that's over. I am just so grossed out and so so glad to be home. I had noticed the issue with the hand sanitizer usage and general cleaning during the cruise before but had not paid that much attention to it. Dealing with the fact that the gross sheet thing just magnified everything else for me yesterday unfortunately. :(

You waited 3 days to check the bedding.:eek:

OK the bed sheet thing is GROSS but, everything else doesn't get on my radar. I am not a big Carnival fan but it could happen on any line. Bad stewards are on all lines. Thank goodness the majority are wonderful.

Wow.

I had no idea the average poster on this site that sailed Carnival possessed a PhD in Microbiology. Hand sanitizer is useless. Citation please?

After spending the past few days trolling various boards on this site, (Was curious about the new Vista, somehow ended up here) here is what I have learned:

1: Formal night err "elegant night" is for snobs, and the rules really don't apply so just go ahead and wear whatever you want to the MDR that night, if those who were stupid enough to dress well get upset with your flip flops and shorts, screw them, we paid for our cruise and they can just go pound sand. (See whatever other thread pounded this one into the ground.)

2: Hand sanitizer is for fools! It doesn't work, so just pass that machine on by. We washed our hands sometime ago so we're all good.

Now here are the conclusions I can draw from those two viewpoints, which seem to be the majority from the two threads I've suffered through.

The average poster on these message boards who uses Carnival is so self centered that rules just don't apply to them and they have little to no regard for their fellow passengers.

It's been awhile since Micro Bio for me, but here is what I know, err remember.

Alcohol is an effective prophylactic against bacteria due to the ability of alcohol to disrupt the cell membrane effectively degrading the ability of the bacteria to further multiply and cause infection. http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=2160

Based on my cursory study of alcohol v. noro virus there is doubt that alcohol alone can kill the virus and other studies have shown hand washing to be superior secondary to basically friction and the lubricating effect of the soap in getting the virus away. What the studies don't say is "hey just go on past that hand sanitizer station, we know you washed your hands so you're all good." What the studies do in fact say is more like "might help, can't hurt."

So when you pass that sanitizer station on by are you just telling me that you are so confident that your hands are effectively sterile, free from all bacteria and virus that I should just give you a pass? Why are you so blithe to put your fellow passengers at risk? Maybe it's not noro that gets somebody on this cruise ill but some bacteria that would have been killed by the sanitizer. http://info.debgroup.com/blog/bid/336078/Hand-Washing-vs-Hand-Sanitizer-in-the-Fight-Against-Norovirus

10 seconds of inconvenience regardless of whether on not you washed your hands. Apparently too much to ask for. Thanks.

As for the hand sanitizer use, people are using it less because it's been found it's not recommended. It's hard on the skin, doesn't kill viruses. Many are opting for hand washing, and some ships now have wash stations. People can glare at me for not seeing me use it, but I do the soap and water thing.

^^This. I have eczema, and hand sanitizer destroys the skin on my fingertips. I simply can't use it. Hand washing (followed by moisturizing lotion) for me. People can side-eye all they want; for me it's medical!

Wow.

I had no idea the average poster on this site that sailed Carnival possessed a PhD in Microbiology. Hand sanitizer is useless. Citation please?

After spending the past few days trolling various boards on this site, (Was curious about the new Vista, somehow ended up here) here is what I have learned:

1: Formal night err "elegant night" is for snobs, and the rules really don't apply so just go ahead and wear whatever you want to the MDR that night, if those who were stupid enough to dress well get upset with your flip flops and shorts, screw them, we paid for our cruise and they can just go pound sand. (See whatever other thread pounded this one into the ground.)

2: Hand sanitizer is for fools! It doesn't work, so just pass that machine on by. We washed our hands sometime ago so we're all good.

Now here are the conclusions I can draw from those two viewpoints, which seem to be the majority from the two threads I've suffered through.

The average poster on these message boards who uses Carnival is so self centered that rules just don't apply to them and they have little to no regard for their fellow passengers.

It's been awhile since Micro Bio for me, but here is what I know, err remember.

Alcohol is an effective prophylactic against bacteria due to the ability of alcohol to disrupt the cell membrane effectively degrading the ability of the bacteria to further multiply and cause infection. http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=2160

Based on my cursory study of alcohol v. noro virus there is doubt that alcohol alone can kill the virus and other studies have shown hand washing to be superior secondary to basically friction and the lubricating effect of the soap in getting the virus away. What the studies don't say is "hey just go on past that hand sanitizer station, we know you washed your hands so you're all good." What the studies do in fact say is more like "might help, can't hurt."

So when you pass that sanitizer station on by are you just telling me that you are so confident that your hands are effectively sterile, free from all bacteria and virus that I should just give you a pass? Why are you so blithe to put your fellow passengers at risk? Maybe it's not noro that gets somebody on this cruise ill but some bacteria that would have been killed by the sanitizer. http://info.debgroup.com/blog/bid/336078/Hand-Washing-vs-Hand-Sanitizer-in-the-Fight-Against-Norovirus

10 seconds of inconvenience regardless of whether on not you washed your hands. Apparently too much to ask for. Thanks.

I Agree! My hubby had a guy tell him, when asked why he didn't wash after using the urinal he said his "genitals" were clean he took a bath that morning..." So You never know who you are cruising with!!

I Agree! My hubby had a guy tell him, when asked why he didn't wash after using the urinal he said his "genitals" were clean he took a bath that morning..." So You never know who you are cruising with!!

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. (Kids need to eat dirt ;) )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I generally stop at the rest room nearest the MDR and wash my hands. I do NOT then, moments later, use the sanitizer on the way in. I, too, as mentioned by others, get a bad skin reaction from frequent use of sanitizer. When I can't wash, sanitizer serves a purpose, but I use soap and water when available.

Are you joking? What a condescending remark. The OP didn't mention a "handout" nor complain about not getting one. It is the cruise line responsibility to provide clean bedding. It is a reasonable expectation. One should not have to be the health inspector when boarding. Stained sheets is downright disgusting. The room steward should be put off at the next port.

WAIT!! the person who made the point about the handout was talking about the viewpoint the desk services person may have had. Think about this from the clerks perspective, you come 3 days into a cruise and say you have found body fluid stains???? What is more likely? The sheets never got changed between cruises?? The person complaining or the suite mate caused them? This is someone who caused this on purpose hoping for a "handout"??.

PLUS let's put this into further perspective. The stewards biggest income comes from the tips. Do you think they intentionally and routinely skip changing sheets and risk losing a tip or two or three or ten? Do you know how difficult and important it is for them to get that job? Do you think they intentionally risk it by skipping changing sheets?

I will assume most people on here are from the US and may have lost sight of the fact that whole families are depending on that one person who is cleaning your room for their support.

Condemning a whole cruise line for that single incident is ridiculous. And the thing about seeing people cleaning, ever think that they try to clean when you don't see them to avoid invading into your nice relaxed vacation? DUH!

Basically for the past eleven years things have been pretty clean on the Carnival ships I have sailed.

However, on the last cruise things were not as clean as in the past.

The balcony was wonderful, but it was not all that clean.

The carpet in the cabin was soiled with what seemed to be grime tracked in from the balcony.

I had noticed a brown spot on the wall in the bathroom and thought it must be a stain until one day when I picked up a wash cloth and wiped it off.

DH says men don't notice what I notice. He paid the steward extra to clean the balcony.

I think it is due to the stewards having more cabins to clean.

I also noticed that the area around the Blue Iguana area was icky, especially the area with the condiments.

This was on Triumph and was my third cruise on Triumph over ther years.

While old does not bother me, dirty does.

I'm an antique dealer amd I know the difference between dirt and patina. :)

Edited by mzloolue

I'm guessing that the sheets were clean at the start of the cruise, but had set in, long time stains that will no longer come out in the laundry. They just need to be retired. Carnival should consider rubber sheets that they can just spray and wipe with 409 and never need changing. They can save on the laundry just as they are with the removal of tablecloths. They will be the greenest cruise line on the seas.

I do use hand sanitizers on a cruise being in a confined "place" with hundreds of strangers. We don't use it at home.

We do wash hands a lot on a cruise and use Soft Soap brand antibacterial soap I bring from home. We've luckily never had Noro virus (which I know sanitizers don't work on) BUT ... on a cruise a few years ago DH, and many others according to the ship's doctor, contracted a terrible bacterial respiratory infection much like a bacterial pneumonia. It was after that I began bringing the antibacterial soap and we try not to touch railings and the like.

I am in the "can't hurt, might help" camp with the sanitizers. Unless you have an allergic reaction to it then why not grab some. personally I luckily have never been sick on a carnival cruise and I am platinum. I wash my hands regularly and touch the elevator buttons with the back of my knuckles. I also which to many may seem over the top but remember I have never gotten sick is go back to the sanitizer or bring a small bottle with me whenever I go through a buffet line. I think the tongs are the most bacteria and grossest things you touch on the ship. The menus may be second. Its a little bit of a hassle but I feel better when I start eating. IMO

Basically for the past eleven years things have been pretty clean on the Carnival ships I have sailed.

However, on the last cruise things were not as clean as in the past.

I had noticed a brown spot on the wall in the bathroom and thought it must be a stain until one day when I picked up a wash cloth and wiped it off.

DH says men don't notice what I notice. He paid the steward extra to clean the balcony.

I think it is due to the stewards having more cabins to clean.

This was on Triumph and was my third cruise on Triumph over ther years.

While old does not bother me, dirty does.

I'm an antique dealer amd I know the difference between dirt and patina. :)

I was on the Triumph about 18 months ago (2nd time on Triumph) and had a similar experience. I washed the shower and bathroom walls because they had brown streaks (I also thought it was stained until I wiped it with a clorox wipe). It was dirty, plain and simple. The walls in the cabin also looked as if they needed a good washing.

I wrote it off as a bad experience, I've cruised 3 other times with Carnival and am going again in September.

I was on the Triumph about 18 months ago (2nd time on Triumph) and had a similar experience. I washed the shower and bathroom walls because they had brown streaks (I also thought it was stained until I wiped it with a clorox wipe). It was dirty, plain and simple. The walls in the cabin also looked as if they needed a good washing.

I wrote it off as a bad experience, I've cruised 3 other times with Carnival and am going again in September.

I am willing to sail Triumph again.

It was my favorite ship so far.

But if it is not clean the next time, then I will have to think about it.

I was wishing I had the supplies to clean that balcony because I would have done it.

They hosed it one day, but it was no cleaner.

The carpet should have been cleaned.

And the walls needed cleaning and probably painting.

When did Triumph come out of dry dock?

WAIT!! the person who made the point about the handout was talking about the viewpoint the desk services person may have had. Think about this from the clerks perspective, you come 3 days into a cruise and say you have found body fluid stains???? What is more likely? The sheets never got changed between cruises?? The person complaining or the suite mate caused them? This is someone who caused this on purpose hoping for a "handout"??.

PLUS let's put this into further perspective. The stewards biggest income comes from the tips. Do you think they intentionally and routinely skip changing sheets and risk losing a tip or two or three or ten? Do you know how difficult and important it is for them to get that job? Do you think they intentionally risk it by skipping changing sheets?

I will assume most people on here are from the US and may have lost sight of the fact that whole families are depending on that one person who is cleaning your room for their support.

Condemning a whole cruise line for that single incident is ridiculous. And the thing about seeing people cleaning, ever think that they try to clean when you don't see them to avoid invading into your nice relaxed vacation? DUH!

How do you know the "condescending" person was referring to more Carnival staff not doing their jobs properly? You know what they say about people making assumptions!

Seems the OP must be to blame because she made an assumption that she had clean linen. The way some on here post it sounds like its your fault for not checking as if its the norm to find stains on your linen. So thanks for the tip OP.

I'm guessing that the sheets were clean at the start of the cruise, but had set in, long time stains that will no longer come out in the laundry. They just need to be retired. Carnival should consider rubber sheets that they can just spray and wipe with 409 and never need changing. They can save on the laundry just as they are with the removal of tablecloths. They will be the greenest cruise line on the seas.

Rubber sheets???????????????????

My personal opinion is ALWAYS check any bed your going to sleep in period. Bed bugs people!!!! I always pull back the bedding, pull up the sheets and look at the mattress and under the bed and at the headboard. I NEVER put my clothes in any type of drawer unless I look first and Always make sure it is up to my standards.

I hate to say it but you could have had wet feet or sat on the bed after being wet and it could make a stain thru the bedding. Just check first to be safe.

I have been on a few Carnival cruises and have always seen people cleaning things all the time. I however to bring my own Clorox wipes and wipe down stuff myself but that's me. I always wash my hands and DO use the hand sanitizers as well. I personally have the small bath and body hand sanitizers in my pockets and use.

I thought i was the only one that always checks the bedding for cleanliness and bed bugs never can be to carefull :)