How do you know

MarKandi

It's been over 4 years since we sailed and I can't recall how to tell if your cabin number has been assigned.

Is in the Express Docs? When I log in it shows "GUAR" which I know is a guarantee. Will it change here? Also will HAL contact us via phone/email.

Did a search on forum posts but it recalled too many of them to shuffle through.

Don't want to open a can of worms or beat a dead horse here either.

We are around 20days before sail..

FYI..our Meet and Greet page is very slow with minimal posts :(

Thanx

Mark and Kandi

The two places to look are in your reservation, which it sounds like you are doing, and on the baggage tags associated with your reservation, where it sometimes appears first.

If you are at 20 days, you are coming into the peak assignment time. Keep looking.

Depending upon how cabins are selling, assignments of guarantee cabins might only come a day or so before sailing. The line obviously wants to maximize revenue by keeping options open for last minute bookers. As long as you are willing to take whatever is left in your chosen category (or "higher"), they have no incentive to block the sale of any remaining inventory.

At some point during the week -- ten days before your embarkation, your Express Docs online will reflect your assigned cabin. They would likely not call you. You may be pleasantly surprised by your cabin assignment; or not -- it will be at least what you bought. In any case, THEN, you can print your luggage tags. I have waited until check-in just prior to boarding to get tags as I forgot to check, and we then had no printer available and I didn't want to take the time just to learn our cabin #. Just another revelation of our cruise.

Have a wonderful time! Bon Voyage!

KenNMB

Volendam: NYC to Bermuda (1978)

Nieuw Amsterdam Seattle to Alaska (2007)

Noordam: Port Everglades TA to Rome (2014)

Zuiderdam: to Panama (partial) (2015)

Veendam: Port Everglades to Montreal (Spring 2016)

Zuiderdam: Quebec City to Port Everglades (Fall 2016)

For some reason, your cabin number shows on the luggage tags around 24 hours before it shows on the express DOC'S. So, you might want to keep an eye on your luggage tags (print). Exact timing of assignments seems to differ from cruise to cruise, but 10 days and closer seems to be the timing more often than not.

IMO all of the posts above are accurate.

I would, however, add one piece of advice for future cruises: we have always booked a specific cabin/stateroom because (1) we like the certainty of knowing exactly where our "Heaven on Earth" will be located, and (2) sometimes the "upgrades" are not as good as the original category that you booked.

We do not take any chances when it comes to our cruising enjoyment and only book specific cabins/staterooms.

Smooth sailing ...

Edited by avian777

In any case, THEN, you can print your luggage tags. I have waited until check-in just prior to boarding to get tags as I forgot to check, and we then had no printer available ...
I have sometimes printed the tags early, and when I got an assignment simply wrote the number in by hand.

IMO all of the posts above are accurate.

I would, however, add one piece of advice for future cruises: we have always booked a specific cabin/stateroom because (1) we like the certainty of knowing exactly where our "Heaven on Earth" will be located, and (2) sometimes the "upgrades" are not as good as the original category that you booked.

We do not take any chances when it comes to our cruising enjoyment and only book specific cabins/staterooms.

Smooth sailing ...

I agree with you completely.

We like to choose our cabin and not have any surprises.

We had our tags printed, baggage with the printed tags handed over to the embarkation staff to be loaded on the ship.

Some gifts to the designated stateroom pre-ordered, only to have the embarkation staffer at the check-in guest take an eraser to her list and tell us there was a last minute change in our verandah cabin number - to a Neptune Suite.

Gifts got lost and luggage had to make two trips to finally get to our new cabin. So you never know until they had you the cabin key card.

(PS -that only happened once)

Edited by OlsSalt

We had our first cruise with HAL and it was about 1 or 2 weeks before the cruise that we knew the cabin assignment. Prior to that it said "GUAR" like yours.

When we booked with a HAL PCC he suggested we wait for an assignment as we may be upgraded. We took his advice and were certainly hoping for that Pinnacle Suite. Nope didn't get it but we were upgrade from what our original documentation suggested and we were perfectly happy.

Like some others said, we found out when we printed our luggage tags about a week and a half prior to the cruise.

We have found that we will get an email from HAL that our "booking has changed" when our room assignment is made. The other advice here about checking your reservation is also good, but you will get notice. You can always reprint your luggage tags.

A word about GUARANTEES -- we rely on our highly capable TA, well-known to and used by many CC'ers, in deciding whether to "gamble" on a GUARANTEE, or reserve the sure thing to lock in a great deal. Never regretted it; even when we 'failed' at an upgrade, we loved our location and cabin.

KenNMB

Volendam: NYC to Bermuda (1978)

Nieuw Amsterdam Seattle to Alaska (2007)

Noordam: Port Everglades TA to Rome (2014)

Zuiderdam: to Panama (partial) (2015)

Veendam: Port Everglades to Montreal (Spring 2016)

Zuiderdam: Quebec City to Port Everglades (Fall 2016)