What's so wonderful about Solstice?

We were disappointed with the famous grass area on Solstice. One side is a smoking area and, on the day we went up there on our last NZ cruise, there were fumes from the funnels swirling over the back of the ship. It was most unpleasant.

We did spend some time up there at sailaway in Auckland and that seemed to be OK, but very cool. They have lovely tartan rugs to snuggle into though.

When we were on Solstice, on her first visit to this region, the lawn up top was roped off and signs there 'Keep off the Grass.' Perhaps they thought the Aussies on board would have a game of touch footy or ye olde game of cricket and rip up the grass !! LOL.

Even worse deposit VB cans on the said manicured lawn, sorry to say, there were a few Bogans on board, so it could have occurred.

Edited by NSWP

They had the keep off the grass signs (actually something like "our grass is resting") when we went up there for sailaway, but not when we went up later in the cruise.

I guess they have to stop people walking and sitting on it sometimes, especially when there has been a bit of rain in the last day or so, otherwise it could get damaged e.g. by kids running and skidding on the wet grass.

The grass lawn would take an awful lot of looking after and hours of maintenance to keep it looking good. Just keeping the salt spray off would be a major job.

When the new Oriana was launched , they had real trees growing in tubs around the pool . A few years later however we noticed they had been replaced with artificial trees as the salt spray had killed off the real shrubs.

The grass lawn would take an awful lot of looking after and hours of maintenance to keep it looking good. Just keeping the salt spray off would be a major job.

When the new Oriana was launched , they had real trees growing in tubs around the pool . A few years later however we noticed they had been replaced with artificial trees as the salt spray had killed off the real shrubs.

It is a tough gig to keep the lawn ship shape. It has a very special drainage system and they need to water (fresh not salt) and give it nutrients often. Most of the time when the lawn is roped off (or at least part of it) it is due to them having just watered and fertilised it and they don't want any one getting contaminated/ affected.

I would if they gave me a decent discount.;)

Complimentary upgrade to a full suite with unlimited Moet at 'Michaels Club' (which is the toffs lounge on Solstice.) Nothing less Uncle Mic.

I might have to give Celebrity another try...looking to do the Baltics perhaps in 2018, have to check out what they offer, no lawn mowing but, hate having to do my own.

Edited by NSWP

Complimentary upgrade to a full suite with unlimited Moet at 'Michaels Club' (which is the toffs lounge on Solstice.) Nothing less Uncle Mic.

I might have to give Celebrity another try...looking to do the Baltics perhaps in 2018, have to check out what they offer, no lawn mowing but, hate having to do my own.

Now there's a thought my baby has just bought her first block of dirt, fancy a visit to the Hunter with your mower,

Nothing beats playing Bocce Ball against the officers on the natural grass on the the Solstices and the glass of champagne when embarking. Give me Celebrity over Princess any time

Celebrity doesn't have the Sanctuary though.

Michael's Club is not for the toffs, it is for those living the suite life when aboard. All the drinks are free in there as well.

I have lived the suite life a few times and it sure is nice but I prefer to spend my dough on other things rather than pay up front for the suite, we tend to upgrade when if the pricing drops. :D

I have lived the suite life a few times and it sure is nice but I prefer to spend my dough on other things rather than pay up front for the suite, we tend to upgrade when if the pricing drops. :D

They had the keep off the grass signs (actually something like "our grass is resting") when we went up there for sailaway, but not when we went up later in the cruise. I guess they have to stop people walking and sitting on it sometimes, especially when there has been a bit of rain in the last day or so, otherwise it could get damaged e.g. by kids running and skidding on the wet grass.

Yes, there are trade-offs for doing the suites with Celebrity. We booked early for our 2014 Australia to NZ cruise and it worked well given our 14 days of sailing. Our Celebrity Suite had the larger, angles balcony which added to the fun and enjoyment. But as some of these suites have been more popular, the CS pricing has gone up much faster than average. Worth it? That's a personal financial choice!!

Below is what the lawn "resting" sign looks like on the ship. Plus, another visual showing the open lawn area at the top on the Solstice.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 151,251 views for this posting.

Here are two more Solstice lawn views/angles on the top of the ship. Enjoy??!!:

July2016Pis7_zpsuixb3yg2.jpg

July2016Pis8_zpssggodzzv.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio